Any Netbook users here? Tell me your experience with them?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohboy10451

Banned
I'm currently interested in the Asus Eee PC 1201N & HP Mini 311. Not interested in gaming, just for watching the occasional video (hooked up via HDMI to my HDTV). Also, some decent multi-tasking (download a video, browse the web w/multiple tabs open). Interested to see if you guys have any experience with these or similar netbooks?

Asus Eee PC 1201N:
12.1" (1366 x 768)
2GB (Expandable to 4GB)
Intel Atom N330 (1.60 GHz) DUAL CORE
NVIDIA ION

HP Mini 311:
11.6" (1366 x 768)
2GB (Expandable to 3GB)
Intel Atom N270 (1.60 GHz) SINGLE CORE
NVIDIA ION

The consensus seems to be that the Asus is better at multitasking but the HP has better battery life (4 vs. 5 hrs)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've played around with a few different ones. An Asus, a Lenova and a Dell mini--though I don't recall specific models as they were friends and family members.

I'd considered one, but after using them they don't fit my needs. Namely they all struggled with streaming video. Espn360 stuttered, no HD stuff would play etc. That was a killer for me as a big use of my work laptop is watching sports on ESPN360 and HD tv shows on Hulu, the network sites etc.

Though I have read a bit about some new models from Dell etc. that have more power and can do the HD stuff--but the impressions so far from early builds were mixed and they'll be $100-150 more I think from the stuff I've read. And then you're getting more into laptop price range. and might as well look for a deal on a 13 or 14 inch laptop.

But if you don't need the power, and just want to do light web surfing, e-mail etc. which Netbooks are meant for, all the ones I've used do that stuff equally well. Just a matter of finding the battery life/weight you need, trying them out and seeing which keyboard you like best etc.

I highly recommend the Asus Eee. I have the model that is one earlier than the 'book you listed, and it runs like a champ (even with 1GB of ram). The battery life is incredible, I can take it to school in the morning, use it all day (with wifi and almost full brightness), and it still has at least 20% left at the end of the night.

Seriously, just go for the Eee.

EDIT: I guess the Eee you listed has a bigger screen than mine, but you still should be good on battery life.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I've played around with a few different ones. An Asus, a Lenova and a Dell mini--though I don't recall specific models as they were friends and family members.

I'd considered one, but after using them they don't fit my needs. Namely they all struggled with streaming video. Espn360 stuttered, no HD stuff would play etc. That was a killer for me as a big use of my work laptop is watching sports on ESPN360 and HD tv shows on Hulu, the network sites etc.

Though I have read a bit about some new models from Dell etc. that have more power and can do the HD stuff--but the impressions so far from early builds were mixed and they'll be $100-150 more I think from the stuff I've read. And then you're getting more into laptop price range. and might as well look for a deal on a 13 or 14 inch laptop.

But if you don't need the power, and just want to do light web surfing, e-mail etc. which Netbooks are meant for, all the ones I've used do that stuff equally well. Just a matter of finding the battery life/weight you need, trying them out and seeing which keyboard you like best etc.[/QUOTE]

These netbooks have an ION in them, meaning they should handle said video playback well. Oh, and I'd hardly call these netbooks considering the screen size and price. I'd actually just save a hundred and buy a laptop. You'd lose the portability but the specs would be much better than both these two.

If I had to choose, I'd probably get the 1201N because apparently the Mini 311's touchpad is blah. If you're using this for traveling and battery life is really a concern, than I guess the 311 is your answer.

You might want to evaluate what you want your netbook to be able to do. I don't think the netbooks with ION are worth buying considering the price just for HD playback on small screen, when you can save for a couple of more days and buy a laptop that could most likely do more than just that. I would suggest looking at the whole new Pine Trail netbooks that were just announced earlier this month. Designs are looking nice and battery life is a major improvement.

Iunno, that's just me.

[quote name='ohboy10451']I will mainly be using it to watch downloaded videos (some HD) on the system or output it to my HDTV[/QUOTE]
I am not exactly sure how well a Netbook will Stream HD content. I know 1080p wont work well since my old computer can't keep up with resolutions that high. 720p will be fine though probably since my old PC is able to stream that. This is for HD content on YouTube. My old PC is close to the same specs as a Netbook. Except my Processor is a AMD Athlon 2 Ghz single core, and my video card is a Nvidia 7800 GS.

video play back- subpar no HD 480p OK
gaming- peggle and flash games OK
encoding - below subpar
internet browsing - great
powerpoint - great but small screen
skype - fantastic

I am using a 1005HAB eepc and love it with the exception of the scroll bar located on the side of the touch pad. This one is only a 10" so the keyboard is tiny but you will get familar with it pretty quick. I use it for streaming video and browsing the web at home. I have not streamed in HD so I can't comment on that area.

I also have Office Enterprise installed for work and I must say with 2gb of ram I have no issues running Outlook/Excel/Word at the same time. Although Access can slow me down at times if I have other things running in the backgroud. Battery life is amazing at almost 7hrs with the larger battery. I laugh everytime I hop on my 17" laptop now, the screen looks so huge after spending all day on this little netbook.

[quote name='ohboy10451']I will mainly be using it to watch downloaded videos (some HD) on the system or output it to my HDTV[/QUOTE]

I'd probably say to go with a laptop in that case. These newer netbooks (like the one's you listed apparently, per the response above) can do HD--but the reviews I've seen on engadget and elsewhere are pretty mixed. Saying HD content from some websites works and others doesn't.

Also, if you just need to get video to the TV and don't need a netbook/laptop (since you say video watching is your main need) you could build a home theater pc to hook up to the TV pretty cheaply as well and just get a wireless keyboard/mouse.

Was looking at netbooks. $299 average price, so many to choose from at this price.

Saw a refurbished Gateway Athlon X2 64 for $399 from Tiger. Bought it. Works great, smokes any netbook. 1080p via HDMI output, fine. Even plays games from a few years ago if I wanted to. Big LED lit screen, and so on.

Netbooks are crap.

I just received the Asus 1201n from Amazon a few days ago. At first, it wouldn't play 720p videos but then I uninstalled a bunch of the preloaded Asus crap, updated all the drivers, and now it works just fine.

[quote name='Silver47']I just received the Asus 1201n from Amazon a few days ago. At first, it wouldn't play 720p videos but then I uninstalled a bunch of the preloaded Asus crap, updated all the drivers, and now it works just fine.[/QUOTE]

make sure to get the flash 10.1 beta which will improve video. Hows is the multi-tasking?

A friend of mine recently bought a 1201n and he's been happy with it. From what i've read, asus laptops/netbooks have a pretty low number of problems. I love the 1000he netbook i have.

[quote name='ohboy10451']make sure to get the flash 10.1 beta which will improve video. Hows is the multi-tasking?[/QUOTE]

It does very well. The dual core has hyperthreading, so four logical processors. Of course, it's hard to compare because me desktop is an i-7 build. ;)

I was interested in one because they seemed to be a good solution for a quick typepad but RadioShack had a full featured laptop for $300 so I sprung for that instead.

Been thinking about getting my girlfriend one of these, as her laptop recently crapped out. However, I think I'm leaning towards just getting her a new laptop. I wouldn't want a netbook myself.

I love my 1000he.

Here's the thing, however. I do not and have never wanted a 'real' laptop. Something about disposable computing... bothers me, and many of my friends treat laptops as something you repurchase every two years.

I bought the 1000he for travelling, and it lets me write, manage documents, handle online billing, and surf the web easily.

It is never going to be used for games, since chances are if I'm using it I'm sitting in a deckchair on the balcony of a cruiseship suite, or I'm in Ireland, or I'm somewhere having fun.

One nice side benefit of having it is that I can lug it out into the garage when I'm working on my car. Having online repair manuals is handy.

I'm also planning to use mine with a Eye One Display 2, some opensource software, and a matched DVD in my xbox 360 and in my PS3 to recalibrate my HDTV.

Yes. You can't watch HD Youtube, or play Crysis on it. Some of us just need a nice simple computer that still does AMAZING things. Text, internet access, usb ports, and some opensource software can still make you a cybernetic god.

Anyone here has purchased a laptop from Newegg? I think I may go with the Asus. If the multi-tasking is horrible then I would like to know how the return process would go

With what you want to use it for they'll be fine. I'd get the 1201n, played with the one my friend bought and it's nice.

I'll tell you one thing, I had to repair XP on a netbook earlier, and it was a pain in the ass since it came with no recovery partition. And it's even more of a pain in the ass since it has no CD drive. I would just buy a laptop. Why buy a gimped laptop when you can have the real thing for a very close price?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back