J.D. Salinger dies at age 91

Jesus_S_Preston

CAGiversary!
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100128/ap_en_ot/us_obit_salinger

NEW YORK – J.D. Salinger, the legendary author, youth hero and fugitive from fame whose "The Catcher in the Rye" shocked and inspired a world he increasingly shunned, has died. He was 91.

Salinger died of natural causes at his home on Wednesday, the author's son said in a statement from Salinger's literary representative. He had lived for decades in self-imposed isolation in the small, remote house in Cornish, N.H.

:(

[quote name='Cantatus']I suppose the countdown until someone makes a Catcher in the Rye movie has begun...[/QUOTE]
After a much hated adaptation of one of his short stories into film, he refused to allow any more of his works to be made into films. So who knows...

[quote name='HumanSnatcher']After a much hated adaptation of one of his short stories into film, he refused to allow any more of his works to be made into films. So who knows...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but I imagine it all depends now on whether or not his estate is willing to honor his wishes. Not like it'd be the first time we've seen relatives looking to cash in on the author's death.

Although, I have read he had something like a dozen unpublished manuscripts laying around. Perhaps that'll bring enough money into his estate to dissuade them from selling the movie rights to one of his books.

Last edited by a moderator:
RIP

Only ever read Catcher in the Rye once (apparantly his only full novel) but I'll never forget that it was the first book we had to read for school that I enjoyed and wasn't completely boring due to the fact that wasn't written in archaic style or we were expected to overanalyze the shit out of like all the other traditional literature (Shakespear(Sp?), Homer, etc)

Maybe I'll have to hop on the wagon and revisit it soon.

just found this and thought i'd post it.
4173612315_3d1dbdbc39_o.png

Steven Spielberg's The Catcher in the Rye starring Shia Labeouf as Holden Caulfield.

RIP JD Salinger. Though when I first heard the news, I was actually excited. I bet he has tons of unpublished books and maybe even a sequel to The Catcher in the Rye.

bread's done
Back