DVD Recorders

J7.

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
Does anyone here own a DVD Recorder and know about them. I am wondering if they let you record (ones with a tuner) TV shows directly onto DVDs or if they only record to VHS and then require you to record that to DVD? I believed you could record tv straight to DVD but Best Buy said no. Would it work with an HDTV using standard definition cable?

If you're talking about a component DVD recorder, most have a built in HDD. That way, just like a DVR, you can record the content to the DVD Burner and then burn to disc. I just sold my Sony about two months ago... had a 160 gb HDD.

Oh... and yes, you can record content from a HDTV as long as it's displaying Standard Def content. They won't record HD content. However, if you have your component DVD recorder conected to your cable box via component cables, the standard def image you'll end up recording will actually be relatively decent.

Are you using a cable box? Or are you just using your TV's built in tuner? If you're using your TV's Built in tuner, make sure your TV isn't stretching the Standard Def content to fit your screen. Otherwise, you may end up recording a less than quality image.

I'm looking at these.
http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-DVR67...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1264900875&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-DR570...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1264902730&sr=1-2
Here is their product pages at Toshiba http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/dvr/dvdrecorder.asp

I don't have a cable box so I don't know if these would work? I don't think they have a coaxial input. I don't see any with HDD's from what I read those are rare in USA now. It is standard def signal on an HDTV.

How bad would the image be if I use the recorders tuner? As long as it looked like standard def I would be happy with that. Maybe it would look good if it was a recorder that had coaxial input.

Last edited by a moderator:
The model with the VHS could come in handy... especially if you want to convert some old VHS over to DVD. The video quality when recording via coaxial cable should be similar to that of the actual image on your set. But let's face it, there is always a slight difference when recording analog to digital. It may not be exactly like the image on your TV, but it should be close. Now, if there was a way to feed your cable box to the DVD Recorder via component cables, you may find a more exact image. But I digress, the coaxial connection your speaking of should provide a quality image... especially if a slight degradation of image doesn't bother you.

Keep me posted on your decision. Wish I still had my Sony w/ the HDD... I would have given you a good deal on it.

Why mess with optical media at all? Just download the tv you want to watch from the internet. It is great already having the commercials cut out.

[quote name='Malik112099'] Just download the tv you want to watch from the internet. It is great already having the commercials cut out.[/QUOTE]

this. i mean, if youre just going to record something like lost, just download the show and burn it to dvd. it will save you time and money and will have no commercials.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']this. i mean, if youre just going to record something like lost, just download the show and burn it to dvd. it will save you time and money and will have no commercials.[/QUOTE]

I have to agree. I've used a DVD recorder and it's much easier to just download the show online. Plus you're usually able to cram more video onto a dvd using a PC than dvd recorder w/o the video looking crappy.

But not all shows are downloadable off the net. What shows and sites do you guys use to download?

[quote name='metaphysicalstyles']The model with the VHS could come in handy... especially if you want to convert some old VHS over to DVD. The video quality when recording via coaxial cable should be similar to that of the actual image on your set. But let's face it, there is always a slight difference when recording analog to digital. It may not be exactly like the image on your TV, but it should be close. Now, if there was a way to feed your cable box to the DVD Recorder via component cables, you may find a more exact image. But I digress, the coaxial connection your speaking of should provide a quality image... especially if a slight degradation of image doesn't bother you.

Keep me posted on your decision. Wish I still had my Sony w/ the HDD... I would have given you a good deal on it.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I'm just concerned about whether those recorders have antenna in and out on them because otherwise they're useless to me without a cable box. I may look into getting a cable box from my cable company. On ebay sellers say they do have that but elsewhere it's not mentioned.

[quote name='J7.']But not all shows are downloadable off the net. What shows and sites do you guys use to download?.[/QUOTE]

Was wondering the same thing?

[quote name='J7.']But not all shows are downloadable off the net. What shows and sites do you guys use to download?[/QUOTE]

Yes they are. I can download pretty much anything that comes on tv. The more popular stuff I can get 15-30 minutes after it airs. I wont post in the thread where to get them but if anyone wants to pm me I can send a few links your way. Also, I have a premium rapidshare account. You need a premium account of some kind if you plan on doing a LOT of direct downloads (I stick to direct download sites only). If you are using torrents then I cant help you.

[quote name='tangytangerine']I have to agree. I've used a DVD recorder and it's much easier to just download the show online. Plus you're usually able to cram more video onto a dvd using a PC than dvd recorder w/o the video looking crappy.[/QUOTE]

Why even use optical media? Most downloads are avi format. Both my xbox 360s and PS3 plays that format along with our dvd player which has a usb port. For everything else (iphones, psp) i use videora. I have a 120gb portable hard drive and a few thumb drives. The only place I use optical media anymore for watching videos is the dvd player in the car.

bread's done
Back