Kindle VS iPod Touch.

AvidWriter

CAGiversary!
Feedback
19 (100%)
I was looking at the Kindle today and I was tempted to buy it. I would certainly read a lot more then I do now.

However I realized, hell if the Kindle is $250 why the hell not just by a iPod Touch which I can also use to read?

I'd also get app use and music.

Any reason to get a Kindle over an iPod? I'm 99% sure there is a way built in to read or at least some free app somewhere?

Thanks.

Well a kindle screen is almost twice as big and probably easier on your eyes, but other than that I'm sure you can read ebooks on the ipod.

Yeah there are free book apps but do you really want to read a whole novel on a 3.5" screen or a 6" screen designed for reading? I know I don't want to try to read on a 3.5" screen and you probably have to scroll even few seconds.

If you are planning on reading a lot I would go with the Kindle because it will be easier on your eyes.

Yea but its harder to justify $260 for just reading. Well if I win that $500 gift card from CAG this month I'll get one 100%, haha.

[quote name='AvidWriter']Yea but its harder to justify $260 for just reading.[/QUOTE]

There you go. You just answered your own question.

If you want to read a lot, then the Kindle is the way to go. Bigger screen, e-ink is super easy on the eyes, great battery life etc.

From your 2nd post, sounds like you're not much of a reader, so the iPod touch is probably better for you. The Kindle and other e-ink readers are really only for avid readers (aka bookworms). I read a good bit, so I love my Kindle. But if you don't then go with the touch.

Last edited by a moderator:
$500 is pretty good for what the iPad can do. Especially if you'd do a lot of reading of magazines, newspapers, comic books etc. on it, watch movies etc.

That said, if you're just reading straight text--i.e. novels--then something like the Kindle is better as e-ink is easier on the eyes for reading, the battery life is much better (a week or two with the wireless off depending on how much you read) and you don't need a color screen for straight text anyway.

kindle stands no where in front of Ipad.
the only thing is that kindle have less price then ipad.
But the ipad gives more features

Yep, but just a matter if one wants those features. If somone just wants a device to read novels on, the the Kindle, Nook, Sony reader etc. will be the best option for them most likely, as the e-ink screen is great for just reading straight text on. Easy on the eyes, great battery life, can read in direct sunlight etc.

If the person's not a avid reader, or most of their reading is magazines, comics etc., then something like the iPad or an iTouch is probably a better investment. As of course, dedicated readers like the Kindle are only for avid readers/bookworms as you have to read enough that it makes sense to own a device only used for reading.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the Kindle app on my iPod Touch and I have no problems with it. Personally, I dont mind the smaller screen, I eventually forget about it after reading a couple of pages from a book.

[quote name='AvidWriter']I would certainly read a lot more then I do now.

However I realized, hell if the Kindle is $250 why the hell not just by a iPod Touch which I can also use to read?

I'd also get app use and music.[/QUOTE]

Well, which one do you want to do?

Do you want to read (more)? If so, Kindle is it.
Do you want something you can kind of read on but mainly use it for other purposes? If so, iPod Touch is it.

I don't really know what you were expecting out of this post since you seem to already have your mind made up?

Kindle can play MP3s as well, that's not unique to the Nook. Think the Sony readers can as well.

Nook is solid, as is the Sony readers. I went with a Kindle as at the time it was the only one with a wireless store so you didn't have to hook it up to the PC to get books on it--but that's moot now with the Nook and newer Sony Reader model.

The Amazon book store has a bigger selection--but for most people all the books they'd read are in all the e-book stores. Amazon tends to be cheaper if there's any difference in price--but often there's not and the difference is usually a buck or less.

So really, if you want an e-ink reader, you can't go wrong with the Kindle, Nook, or Sony. All have some minor pros and cons but all are good dedicated e-reading devices.

[quote name='dmaul1114']$500 is pretty good for what the iPad can do. Especially if you'd do a lot of reading of magazines, newspapers, comic books etc. on it, watch movies etc.

That said, if you're just reading straight text--i.e. novels--then something like the Kindle is better as e-ink is easier on the eyes for reading, the battery life is much better (a week or two with the wireless off depending on how much you read) and you don't need a color screen for straight text anyway.[/QUOTE]

iPad is not an e-reader, it is a tablet PC. While they're successfully marketing it as competition to the Kindle and Nook, Apple's choice of a backlit screen for the device shows readers aren't who they're REALLY marketing this to.

Edit: that isn't to say it's a bad value.. (though, I DO personally think it IS a bad value). It's just not a good e-reader.

[quote name='BattleChicken']iPad is not an e-reader, it is a tablet PC. While they're successfully marketing it as competition to the Kindle and Nook, Apple's choice of a backlit screen for the device shows readers aren't who they're REALLY marketing this to.

Edit: that isn't to say it's a bad value.. (though, I DO personally think it IS a bad value). It's just not a good e-reader.[/QUOTE]

Well, it's not really a Tablet PC either as it doesn't have a full PC/Mac OS either. So it's more a multimedia Tablet.

I agree it's not a dedicated e-reader. But it will be fine for many--especially if you read magazines or newspapers which suck on the Kindle, or comics etc.

I love my Kindle, but I also read on my laptop on PC sometimes with the Kindle for PC program. LCD/LED screens don't bother my eyes much--but of course I seldom read for more than 30-60 minutes in any stretch.

So I think the iPad will be fine for more casual readers who don't read enough to need e-ink or warrant purchasing a device that's used for nothing but readers. They can do some light reading on it, and take advantage of the movies, net, games etc. that they spend more time on than reading.

But people who read a lot more and longer would probably have issues with it and need the e-ink screen.

If you want to read outside, in the sun, a proper e-reader (Nook, Kindle, etc), is the best option. I think that sums up the technical jargon.

[quote name='BattleChicken']If you want to read outside, in the sun, a proper e-reader (Nook, Kindle, etc), is the best option. I think that sums up the technical jargon.[/QUOTE]

True.

I never do that though. Hate the outdoors so I can't recall the last time I read outdoors!

Almost always too cold or hot, get sunburn easily, sweat like fiend in the summer, magnet for insect bites etc.!

I like doing outdoors stuff like hiking and fishing etc., but I don't like being outside to do something I can do indoors like read!

I mainly got my Kindle just for the convenience of e-books as I seldom re-read and hated having to deal with the library or having books laying around I'd never touch again to donate or sell etc.

The e-ink screen is nice--especially for the battery life--but I could see myself moving to tablet device down the road when they get the kinks worked out. Though I'd probably just use that for my work related readings (reading and marking up research articles etc.) and keep my Kindle for reading novels in bed.

Wow. I didn't expect that much feedback. No I haven't made up my mind I just wanted to hear what others had to say. I like to read but I don't like buying books and the library well I haven't been in years because they tend to not carry the books I like to read.

Thanks for all the feedback.

bread's done
Back