Silicon Knights and Nintendo Part

Evrard03

CAG Veteran
http://cube.ign.com/articles/506/506189p1.html

April 13, 2004 - IGNcube today learned that Canada-based development studio Silicon Knights has ended its second-party status with Nintendo Co. Ltd. The company will effective immediately be allowed to develop software for multiple consoles including Microsoft's Xbox and Sony's PlayStation platforms.

Though no official reason was given for the decision, IGNcube speculates that the philosophies of the two companies did not mesh. Silicon Knights has always been a very content-driven studio with strong beliefs in the elements of game creation including story, artistry, sound, and technology. Nintendo has recently downplayed the role of technology in game creation and has been known to de-emphasize story, graphics and sound in favor of classic play mechanics.
"Silicon Knights and Nintendo have agreed to mutually part ways," Silicon Knights' president Denis Dyack told IGNcube.

"Nintendo and Silicon Knights have reached an agreement allowing Silicon Knights to pursue its vision of videogame entertainment with other companies," said a Nintendo of America spokesperson. "Nintendo respects the creative work of Silicon Knights and the parties have left the door open to work on future projects that meet the creative vision of both companies."

Asked if today's news meant Silicon Knights would not continue to develop for Nintendo platforms, Denis Dyack said: "No it doesn't. It's possible that we may do another game with Nintendo, actually. It just means that we've decided to break our exclusivity with Nintendo."

Dyack confirmed that Silicon Knights is now fully able to develop for competing consoles as well.

An official announcement from Nintendo is expected in the coming weeks.

ED was decent - but I hope they don't have some sort of crazy idea that it would do any better on Ps2 (aside from the obvious).

Nintendo really needs to hold on to their their developers. I can see selling Rare, as they seem to have lost their talent, but Eternal Darkness was great. Nintendo should know that more and more gamers are 18+, and they need studios that make M rated games.

I agree that Nintendo needs to woo its best 2nd party developers into staying, but this announcement doesn't mean that Nintendo and Silicon Knights will never make another game together.

Rare, SK, and left field were great riddences. Now all they need to lose is Retro and things will be good again.

Being over 18 doesn't mean you like the crap that is M rated games

[quote name='DenisDFat']Eternal suckness, Metal SuckTTS, blood omen legacy of suck, Cyber Suckpires, Suck Legions[/quote]

silicon knights had nothing to do with blood omen or whatever those other games you listed were. they werent even released for cube. get with the facts denis if youre gonna be so critical of everything.

and eternal darkness was a good game. im not a fan of metal gear but i heard they did a good job with the remake. they will be missed. hopefully too human doesnt get cancelled.

[quote name='DenisDFat']Rare, SK, and left field were great riddences. Now all they need to lose is Retro and things will be good again.

Being over 18 doesn't mean you like the crap that is M rated games[/quote]

A lot of game companies figure if they have some m rated content that they dont have to work as hard on th egame itself. A great example of this was night trap on the sega cd

[quote name='metroidkiller9'][quote name='DenisDFat']Eternal suckness, Metal SuckTTS, blood omen legacy of suck, Cyber Suckpires, Suck Legions[/quote]

silicon knights had nothing to do with blood omen or whatever those other games you listed were. they werent even released for cube. get with the facts denis if youre gonna be so critical of everything.

and eternal darkness was a good game. im not a fan of metal gear but i heard they did a good job with the remake. they will be missed. hopefully too human doesnt get cancelled.[/quote]

Silicon Knights existed before the cube, smart guy.

[quote name='metroidkiller9']silicon knights had nothing to do with blood omen or whatever those other games you listed were. they werent even released for cube. get with the facts denis if youre gonna be so critical of everything.

and eternal darkness was a good game. im not a fan of metal gear but i heard they did a good job with the remake. they will be missed. hopefully too human doesnt get cancelled.[/quote]

Silicon Knights in fact did make the original Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain. It was published by Crystal Dynamics and it was reassigned to a different developer after the first title was produced.
Then also made Fantasy Empiers, Cyber Empires, and Dark Legions, although I haven't played any of those titles and thus don't know if they are any good or not.

Whatever console it's for, I'm still vying for Too Human to be great.

I don't think it's a huge loss for Nintendo. Two games in three or four years, and one of those was a remake.

Nintendo has recently downplayed the role of technology in game creation and has been known to de-emphasize story, graphics and sound in favor of classic play mechanics

While that isn't a popular stance, I for one like it. I still have just as much fun playing 2-D side scrollers as I do playing any of the big hit games coming out right now.

I'm curious if the Metal Gear Solid port didn't live up to Nintendo's expectations.. it was a servicable port at best, and was missing all of the connectivity that Nintendo was pushing so heavily for that game.

Of course, when you have Retro doing games so well, it really raises the bar higher for the other 2nd party developers.

well put JS.

I am curious though if MS will snatch them up and push for Too Human. That would be good for MS for sure and steal some hype from Nintendo.

Not that I want this to happen i can just picture it though.

[quote name='JSweeney']Nintendo has recently downplayed the role of technology in game creation and has been known to de-emphasize story, graphics and sound in favor of classic play mechanics

While that isn't a popular stance, I for one like it. I still have just as much fun playing 2-D side scrollers as I do playing any of the big hit games coming out right now.

I'm curious if the Metal Gear Solid port didn't live up to Nintendo's expectations.. it was a servicable port at best, and was missing all of the connectivity that Nintendo was pushing so heavily for that game.

Of course, when you have Retro doing games so well, it really raises the bar higher for the other 2nd party developers.[/quote]

I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo wasn't too happy with it - not only was it missing the connectivity you brushed past, but it was lacking a lot of polish overall. SK did a decent job, but it could have been a whole lot better.

Factor 5 left as well. Well, only for the current generation; but they have no ties with Nintendo, so they can develop for anyone they want.

ED was an excellent game; I think this link sums up my feelings on them leaving Nintendo: http://www.ohnoes.org

bread's done
Back