Obscure DS RPGs

eldergamer

CAGiversary!
I stopped into a local game crazy today after picking up new tags for the van's licence plates.

And there were a few DS RPGs that I had never heard anything about before. They were all priced used at around the $13- $17 price range so I'm just wondering what the word was on them....

One was "Fighting Fantasy the Warlock of Firetop Mountain" it looked to be some sort of first person dungeon crawler?

another was "Dungeon Explorer: Warriors of Ancients Arts" this looked to be sort of a 3rd person 3/4th camera diablo clone (?)

another was "Mazes of Fate" I think this one involved Mazes and fate, perhaps.

I also saw a Summon Knigt Twin Age agme. I played Summon Knight Swordcraft story 2 on the gba and remember enjoying it....

Only one that is worth buying is Summon Knight....though I personally still want to pick up Fighting Fantasy, had so much fun with the books growing up. Also wish they stuck to the old school Dungeon Explorer instead of making it into a straight Diablo clone

[quote name='banpeikun']is fighting fantasy an rpg?[/QUOTE]

yeah, first person dungeon crawler. Think of the first couple of Elder Scroll games

If you like any of the Mana series from Square such as Secret of Mana or Seiken Deinsetsu, then I would personally get Summon Night. If you're looking more for an Etrian Odyssey type of experience, go with Fighting Fantasy. Do not get Dungeon Explorer, it was pretty awful. You should also keep an eye out for The Dark Spire if you don't have it already since I think GS has it for $4.99 new now, that is if you can find it. Mazes of Fate isn't too bad, but its rather short, but not bad.

Has anybody here played A Witch's Tale on DS? It's by Nippon Ichi (Disgaea) and I was really curious about it, so I figured I'd ask those into obscure RPGs like you guys. :)

[quote name='VyseArcad1a']Has anybody here played A Witch's Tale on DS? It's by Nippon Ichi (Disgaea) and I was really curious about it, so I figured I'd ask those into obscure RPGs like you guys. :)[/QUOTE]

I have. It has a great style, but the battles suck and there is little-to-no character development beyond the main character (and even that's limited). You will likely be frustrated with the encounter rate and the poor level design (the puzzles... oh, the puzzles...).

It's not terrible, but I don't recommend a blind buy on this one.

[quote name='VyseArcad1a']Has anybody here played A Witch's Tale on DS? It's by Nippon Ichi (Disgaea) and I was really curious about it, so I figured I'd ask those into obscure RPGs like you guys. :)[/QUOTE]

I've bought 266 DS games over the last 3-4 years and A Witch's Tale is one of only two games I've ever regretted buying. Sure, it looks nice but that is the only thing it has going for it. AVOID.

I rented Dark Spire once and am glad it helped me avoid a purchase. I've had Mazes of Fate on my goozex list forever. I'm proud of myself for showing restraint and not grabbing it when I saw it in the store.

Thanks for the tips, guys. I'll avoid Witch's Tale. I actually got Izuna today and I actually like it. It's a hard beast of a game though.

Speaking of Izuna, I recently beat Shiren the Wanderer on the DS and would like to check out more roguelikes... that one's part of the genre, right? Anyone here play it and/or the sequel? How are they?

I have Izuna too up on my shelf sealed in plastic. Got it for $8 something on a 40% clearence from $14.98 from Freddies. I'll get around to it but I need to finish (give up) on Etrian Odyssey 2 first.

[quote name='blueshinra']Speaking of Izuna, I recently beat Shiren the Wanderer on the DS and would like to check out more roguelikes... that one's part of the genre, right? Anyone here play it and/or the sequel? How are they?[/QUOTE]

Theres a sequel to Izuna, and I think the Pokemon Dungeon games are roguelikes, although made easier for the kiddies.

bread's done
Back