- - - - -

Monster Hunter Tri - $44.99 at GameStop & Amazon

#121 Traitorious   Shunts to the face CAGiversary!   535 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Traitorious

Posted 13 February 2010 - 08:36 PM

FYI, Amazon has added the CC bundle to their listings. They haven't matched the $54.99 price yet, but I'm sure they will.

Damn. I have a pre order for the standard version from Amazon. Guess if they drop the price I'll be giving them a call to see if I can swap versions and keep my discounts intact.

#122 arcane93   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3671 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Posted 16 February 2010 - 05:57 PM

New response from Capcom:

Hello,

There has been no official announcement on that subject yet. More information will be released as it gets closer to the release date.

CAPCOM Customer Support

Really? Two months (give or take a week, depending on whose date you trust) from release, pre-orders are being taken, and they're not announcing anything yet? Get on the ball, Capcom!

#123 Bacon Parade   ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ CAGiversary!   673 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Bacon Parade

Posted 16 February 2010 - 06:07 PM

I don't know how reliable this website is, but they claim online will be free:

http://www.vooks.net...compatible.html

#124 arcane93   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3671 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Posted 16 February 2010 - 06:15 PM

I don't know how reliable this website is, but they claim online will be free:

http://www.vooks.net...compatible.html

That's an Australian site, though, so it doesn't confirm what they're doing in the North American market.

#125 Ryukahn   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3668 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 16 February 2010 - 06:34 PM

New response from Capcom:

Really? Two months (give or take a week, depending on whose date you trust) from release, pre-orders are being taken, and they're not announcing anything yet? Get on the ball, Capcom!

It could be that Capcom is just incompetent, but not saying anything tells me there will be a fee. If there was no fee, you would want to announce it as soon as possible to generate some positive buzz for the game. If there is a fee, you would announce it as late as possible to avoid killing any buzz for the game. Though I suppose it is possible there is still internal debate on if they should charge a fee or not, thus adding to the delay. The 500 Wii points is probably their way of giving you the first month free or whatever though.

#126 Bacon Parade   ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ CAGiversary!   673 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Bacon Parade

Posted 16 February 2010 - 08:15 PM

This is ONM's UK site but it mentions the western audience. Here's the link:

http://www.officialn...le.php?id=15260

Tri has already sold well over a million in Japan, but its online philosophy is being subtly altered for us in the West. We can't be bothered to write down friend codes, or pay monthly subscriptions, so it doesn't look as though Capcom is going to waste time trying to convince us otherwise.

#127 arcane93   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3671 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Posted 16 February 2010 - 09:08 PM

This is ONM's UK site but it mentions the western audience. Here's the link:

http://www.officialn...le.php?id=15260

Tri has already sold well over a million in Japan, but its online philosophy is being subtly altered for us in the West. We can't be bothered to write down friend codes, or pay monthly subscriptions, so it doesn't look as though Capcom is going to waste time trying to convince us otherwise.

Well, I hope you're right. But if Capcom is saying that no official announcement has been made, then what are these sites basing their information on? My guess would be that it's on the announcement that it would be free in Europe.

But, something to keep in mind is that Capcom is distributing the game themselves here in North America (as they did in Japan), while in Europe (and Australia) it will be distributed by Nintendo. Because of this, I wouldn't trust the European (or Australian) announcements to necessarily apply to the North American release.

Honestly, until I see an announcement directly from Capcom (or at least quoted directly from Capcom) specifically regarding the North American market, I'm not going to consider anything settled.

#128 arcane93   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3671 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Posted 16 February 2010 - 09:17 PM

Something else worth noting, from

http://www.siliconer...-look-familiar/

regarding the charges in Japan:

Before you fork over Wii Points you get a twenty day trial subscription. Afterwards, it’s 800 Wii Points ($8) for a 30 day subscription, 1,500 Wii Points ($15) for a 60 days, or 2,000 Wii Points ($20) for 90 days.

Now, by the point equivalency that 800 points = a 30 day subscription, 500 points would be 18.75 days, which is darn close to that 20 day trial. I'm just saying, if they're including a 500 point card . . .

(I mean, geez, not even a full month free after paying for the game? How cheap can they get?)

#129 SovietSlayer   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   98 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

SovietSlayer

Posted 16 February 2010 - 09:48 PM

The real problem with pay to play is all the hardcore mh players will most likely beat the same within that 20 day trial period. If not a 30 day extension will suffice. After that all the good players will leave and you'll be stuck with n00bs.

#130 arcane93   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3671 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Posted 16 February 2010 - 09:55 PM

The real problem with pay to play is all the hardcore mh players will most likely beat the same within that 20 day trial period. If not a 30 day extension will suffice. After that all the good players will leave and you'll be stuck with n00bs.

Well, I would hope that if they're going to charge some kind of monthly fee, there will be some kind of dynamic content to keep the hardcore players coming back. If it's all just pre-set and totally static, then what's the point? In theory, for a pay-to-play business model to work, they want to keep people paying for the game indefinitely, not playing for a month or so, finishing it, and dropping out.

#131 Nesrie   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   231 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 08:16 PM

Well, I would hope that if they're going to charge some kind of monthly fee, there will be some kind of dynamic content to keep the hardcore players coming back. If it's all just pre-set and totally static, then what's the point? In theory, for a pay-to-play business model to work, they want to keep people paying for the game indefinitely, not playing for a month or so, finishing it, and dropping out.

MH hardcore fans seem to be die hard fans. Heck some of them want to pay a fee because they think it will make the people playing the game better. I really don't think Capcom needs to convince them to keep coming back since they are so eager anyway.

The fee will probably keep a lot of new fans from enjoying the series which would be what I thought Capcom didn't want.

#132 Wolfpup   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9966 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Posted 18 February 2010 - 04:57 PM

Dang, I love the classic controller, and the CC Pro looks great too. I wish one of them were the standard Wii interface, or at least included in the box :(

#133 MasamuneNKX   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   107 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

MasamuneNKX

Posted 18 February 2010 - 11:56 PM

There's no mention of the 500 free Wii Points anymore at Gamestop, so now it only has advantage of being $5 cheaper (less when you consider tax) over Amazon. I think I'd rather pay the couple extra bucks just to avoid giving Gamestop my money, but aside from that, Amazon will probably drop the price at some point, or it could show up in your quick picks, so anyone who hasn't jumped on this yet (like me) is probably better off waiting for that.

#134 icedrake523   Good News Everyone! CAGiversary!   3700 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

icedrake523

Posted 24 February 2010 - 02:35 AM

Wanted to bump since I just noticed the 500 free points aren't advertised anymore and Amazon is now offering a $10 credit.

#135 Nesrie   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   231 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

Posted 24 February 2010 - 05:25 AM

Wanted to bump since I just noticed the 500 free points aren't advertised anymore and Amazon is now offering a $10 credit.

Is it too much to ask for Capcom to just state whether there is a fee or not so I can decide to pre-order, or not. I mean dear lord. :bomb:

#136 Spacepest   Your Tax Dollars At Work CAGiversary!   1217 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Spacepest

Posted 24 February 2010 - 09:52 AM

Gah, this late in the game and no confirmation yet. Not that its stopped me from preordering though.

However, my speculation is this...I wouldn't be surprised if Capcom arranged it so there was a few limited levels/maps/missions that were free for anyone to play. Access to additional maps and missions however would cost you...maybe 500 Wii points for each bit of DLC? If online was handled this way, Capcom could still claim, "Look, its free to play! No monthly fees!" while they support their servers through online microtransactions.

IMHO, people paying a monthly fee or microtransaction isn't going to result in a better quality of player (good lord, I should know, after years of playing MMOs on both PC and consoles). I'm personally up in the air about paying monthly prescription fees for online games. I have no problem paying a fee if it means support for things like stable servers, online events and holidays, and GMs who are on the ball about cheaters, asshats, and RMTers. But paying a monthly fee just to access locked content already on the disc, and nothing else, now that pisses me off.

#137 vermadas   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   21 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

vermadas

Posted 24 February 2010 - 06:02 PM

It's just been confirmed at the Nintendo Summit that MH3 will not have a monthly fee in NA.

#138 Ryukahn   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3668 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 24 February 2010 - 06:02 PM

This has just been confirmed to be free to play in North America, via Nintendo's event they are having today.

#139 arcane93   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3671 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Posted 24 February 2010 - 06:14 PM

I'm curious about this (from http://www.gamespot....ws/6251785.html):

Killian touted a GameStop demo disc for the game will be available on March 8 and include two quests.

I'm assuming this will probably be available with a pre-order. I wonder if those of us that pre-ordered the game through the website will be able to get one?

#140 chair_home   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1451 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 24 February 2010 - 07:21 PM

I think I might pick this up now, since no fee for online was confirmed. I'm leaning towards Amazon, since there is no tax plus the $10 credit.
GS probably will have the 500pts still since it was mentioned at the press summit today, but you'll have to pay tax, too.

#141 gkrykewy   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1244 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 24 February 2010 - 07:49 PM

I'm sure Amazon will end up with a price lower than MSRP, plus the $10 credit. Pre-order price guarantee covers us.

#142 icedrake523   Good News Everyone! CAGiversary!   3700 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

icedrake523

Posted 24 February 2010 - 07:56 PM

I think I might pick this up now, since no fee for online was confirmed. I'm leaning towards Amazon, since there is no tax plus the $10 credit.
GS probably will have the 500pts still since it was mentioned at the press summit today, but you'll have to pay tax, too.

Do you have a link or quote to that?

#143 Pck21   Beware the Ides of March CAGiversary!   2463 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

Posted 24 February 2010 - 08:00 PM

Good news! :applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

I'm definitely glad I pre-ordered with GS when I did with all of the codes and whatnot. Sweet!

#144 Nesrie   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   231 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

Posted 24 February 2010 - 08:09 PM

Kotaku has a tiny bit of info about the announcement.

http://kotaku.com/54...s-free/gallery/

#145 icedrake523   Good News Everyone! CAGiversary!   3700 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

icedrake523

Posted 24 February 2010 - 08:15 PM

Thanks. I was going to cancel my GS order and get it at Amazon. But if the points are still offered I'll keep it.

#146 schopaia   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   83 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

schopaia

Posted 24 February 2010 - 08:19 PM

what about the demo disc? Will a GS preorder be needed to get the demo?

#147 arcane93   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3671 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Posted 24 February 2010 - 09:04 PM

It's also listed on the GameStop page for the game again now:

Reserve Monster Hunter Tri and receive a GameStop exclusive Monster Hunter Tri themed Nintendo points card worth 500 points. Available online and in-store while supplies last.

Online Customers: GameStop exclusive points card will ship with your game.

In-Store Pickup / Store Customers: GameStop exclusive points card will be available at time of game pick-up.

Listed on both the regular and bundle versions. Interestingly, despite their getting these exclusives, they still haven't updated their page to reflect the now officially-announced release date of April 20th. Their page still says April 6th.

#148 Nesrie   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   231 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

Posted 25 February 2010 - 12:59 AM

what about the demo disc? Will a GS preorder be needed to get the demo?

According to Capcom, no. You just need to go get it at gamestop or order it through the monster community page. I haven't setup an account on the community page yet so i can't verify. I do have a link with info though.

http://www.capcom-un...ster_Hunter_Tri

#149 schopaia   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   83 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

schopaia

Posted 25 February 2010 - 01:30 AM

According to Capcom, no. You just need to go get it at gamestop or order it through the monster community page. I haven't setup an account on the community page yet so i can't verify. I do have a link with info though.

http://www.capcom-un...ster_Hunter_Tri

Cool, thanks. I tried it but the site is pretty convoluted. Theres a button to reserve a disc and a button to enter your address. I pressed the reserve link, and now it says I have already reserved a disc, and I can't give them my address. So I may have to go to gamestop after all...

*shudders*

#150 Nesrie   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   231 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

Posted 25 February 2010 - 01:55 AM

Cool, thanks. I tried it but the site is pretty convoluted. Theres a button to reserve a disc and a button to enter your address. I pressed the reserve link, and now it says I have already reserved a disc, and I can't give them my address. So I may have to go to gamestop after all...

*shudders*

Yeah their websites seem to be messed up at the moment. I can't even get my verfication emai from them at the moment.

Gamestop was a nightmare for me today when i went to pre-order. Stood there for 15 minutes listening to him tell this guy that the DS Lite stylus won't fit in the DS stylus compartmant, so naturally the guy kept coming back showing him one after the other. Then when I went to do my pre-order, he didn't know what Monster Hunter Tri was, and tried to order it as a DS game and politely informed it was for the Wii. I asked about the discount and the game card, not a clue as to what I was talking about. I just hope i get the discount and the card because all my receipt shows was the deposit amount.

I don't think I've pre-ordered anything from Gamestop... ever.