Rocketfish PS3 Controller @BB.com for $38 (b&m ymmv)

shiftomnimega

CAGiversary!
The Rocketfish Rapidfire Controller for the PS3 is $37.99 on bb.com. The reason it is cool is not so much for the turbo option, but because it is designed like the 360 controller (reversed left analog stick and d-pad, curved handles).

It does have motion control (SIXAXIS) and rumble (some complain that it's weak rumble).

The user reviews complain of lag, but some say that this works itself out or you can avoid it totally by leaving it plugged in. It should be noted that none of the official video game websites I went to that reviewed this product complained about lag.

A touchy issue is that the R1 and L1 buttons are positioned awkwardly. Apparently firing and aiming is usually mapped to R1 and L1 respectively on the PS3 so this might be a deal breaker for some.

One BBY B&M store I went to yesterday had this for the clearance price where the other one had it for MSRP (47.99) so ymmv if you try to pick one up at the store.

[quote name='shiftomnimega']A touchy issue is that the R1 and L1 buttons are positioned awkwardly. Apparently firing and aiming is usually mapped to R1 and L1 respectively on the PS3 so this might be a deal breaker for some.[/quote]

This is true. It's made worse because of the way the controller handles are curved. It also feels extraordinarily cheap.

One BBY B&M store I went to yesterday had this for the clearance price where the other one had it for MSRP (47.99) so ymmv if you try to pick one up at the store.

If you really want this controller (and I personally wouldn't recommend anyone buy it), bring a printout of the BB.com price, and the store should match it.

I say pass on this just based on looks alone, throw in the lack luster reviews and it's a steer clear item.

On the plus side it uses Blutooth, so I commend them on being the first 3rd party controller that I can recall to use Blutooth and not a USB dongle. There may be others that do this, but if there are it's VERY few.

I was going to pick one of there up but ended up going with the Cross Battle Adapter 2.0 which lets you use a wired 360 controller, with rumble and sixaxis support, and lets you remap any button you want. It's amazing with MAG. Another good 3rd party controller for PS3 is the Shadow Six Wireless.

It's a shame it's so ugly and has bad reviews. I would pay good money for a full function 3rd party DS3 that had asymmetric analog sticks.

Coming straight from a BB worker's mouth, most of Rocketfish's gaming accessories, you don't want to mess with.

That is just a blatant rip off of a 360 controller. Also its pretty cheap looking. By the way, everything I ever bought that was from rocketfish did not last more then 2 months.

I have this controller and it is my primary controller cause its more comfortable with my hands than the regular ps3 controller.

It works fine for me the battery life seems to drain fast when wireless and I do keep wired in so its at its most responsive cause wireless sometimes its not

It does kind of feel cheap like it wont last over time but im happy with it for the time being..

Someone mentioned the Cross Battle 2.0 Adapter..I have been wanting to confirm if this works with Uncharted 2? I heard it had problems with 3rd person shooter games where you couldnt run just walk..

[quote name='happyorangeman']That is just a blatant rip off of a 360 controller. [/QUOTE] Which is the only reason anyone would be remotely interested in it for purchase.

not trying to usurp this thread, but I am looking for the best solution to getting an Xbox 360 style controller for my PS3, so my dad can play the Uncharted games specifically, he just cannot use the Dualshock. What would people's recommendation to get be? Thanks in advance for any help.

I bought one of these a while back and ended up returning it. The R1/R2 and triggers were just positioned too poorly for me, they made my hands cramp up a bit. It did feel pretty cheap and light, but that didn't really bother me. The sticks felt pretty good, and I didn't notice any input lag. I would say give it a try and see if the shoulder buttons work ok for you, I would have kept it if it hadn't been for that.

[quote name='usmasters']not trying to usurp this thread, but I am looking for the best solution to getting an Xbox 360 style controller for my PS3, so my dad can play the Uncharted games specifically, he just cannot use the Dualshock. What would people's recommendation to get be? Thanks in advance for any help.[/QUOTE]
I would suggest you write Logitech and/or Saitek and ask them to make one. There is no good full function alternative that I have found.

[quote name='happyorangeman']That is just a blatant rip off of a 360 controller.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='h3llbring3r']Which is the only reason anyone would be remotely interested in it for purchase.[/QUOTE]

LOL, exactly. That's the big selling point for me. Too bad it looks like crap and has bad reviews, because I would definitely get one of these in a heartbeat.

The rocketfish brand is offered by Best Buy to be a cost-effective option. As with all third party controllers...just stick with the Dual Shock. For real.
Working like a 360 controller is awesome, except that the d-pad is pretty much guaranteed to be awful.

[quote name='SDC'] As with all third party controllers...just stick with the Dual Shock. For real.
[/QUOTE] Some of us want better.

A wireless version of Saitek's cyborg gamepad would be ideal (which allows you to swap the D-Pad and analog stick position). The wired PC/360 version is done right
p3600v2.jpg

. . . but the PS3 version is hideous and keeps all those bad DS3 ergonomics and styling cues and lacks come functionality:

ps2700.jpg

if that controller felt like a 360 controller, I'd be all about it.

PS3 controllers suck in comparison. anything that plays more like a 360 controller would be more than welcomed by yours truly

[quote name='usmasters']not trying to usurp this thread, but I am looking for the best solution to getting an Xbox 360 style controller for my PS3, so my dad can play the Uncharted games specifically, he just cannot use the Dualshock. What would people's recommendation to get be? Thanks in advance for any help.[/QUOTE]

USURPER!

The problem is that there is no great solution for a 360 controller clone for the PS3. This is the best option I have found locally (and the most cost effective).

I haven't even started playing my PS3 yet, but I'm going to give it a try now with this thing. I'm going to play the Heavy Rain demo. The L1 and R1 buttons don't feel weird to me, but they are damn far from the L2 and R2. Perhaps my long fingers have finally come in handy.

[quote name='shiftomnimega']USURPER!

The problem is that there is no great solution for a 360 controller clone for the PS3. This is the best option I have found locally (and the most cost effective).

I haven't even started playing my PS3 yet, but I'm going to give it a try now with this thing. I'm going to play the Heavy Rain demo. The L1 and R1 buttons don't feel weird to me, but they are damn far from the L2 and R2. Perhaps my long fingers have finally come in handy.[/QUOTE]

I bought this controller a few weeks ago on sale from best buy hoping it would be a great replacement for the awkward PS3 controller. When I saw this, I jumped all over it. It felt great in my hand, Bluetooth enabled, and had rumble capabilities. What more could I ask for. But that's where the worst part about this controller showed it's ugly face. Their is a slight lag from when you hit a button and the PS3 registered the action. For example I would play MW:2 and when I would see a guy and try to start shooting him, I would die because it wouldn't register fast enough. I ended up taking the controller back and got the Logitech PlayStation 3 Cordless Precision Controller, that was on sale instead. It works pretty well, but I like the 360 controller better because I have large hands and the little Sony controller starts to feel uncomfortable after a while. My 2cents is to try something else.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='h3llbring3r']Some of us want better.

A wireless version of Saitek's cyborg gamepad would be ideal (which allows you to swap the D-Pad and analog stick position). The wired PC/360 version is done righ[/QUOTE]

If that version works on the PC, has it been confirmed to NOT work on PS3? I have numerous PC gamepads that all work just fine on the PS3.

As for wanting better...everyone has their own taste, sure. Butt i can tell you that all experiences I have had with third party pads (including those PC pads I've used on my PS3) has been pretty negative. The d-pad is always extremely half ass, which is a major issue for me.

I bought this and found that I way prefer it to the standard DS3 (which to me, really isn't different than a PS2-DS2 and not suitable for FPS). Can't comment on longevity (only had it 1-2 months), but when I read the thing about lag I also saw the recommendation about making sure the controller is well-charged. So I've been careful about that and experienced no lag.

Feels good in my hand (similar to 360 controller, but less weight like a DS3) and had no problem switching the L1-R1s for trigger functionality in COD:MW2. It is a slick-shiny finish instead of textured so thats different (not bad to me, but not good either). Also, I guess if you did experience lag you could plug in the included cable which is fortunately longer than the standard DS3 one.

Also it has rapidfire, but I haven't tried that, and an on-off switch which is nice for keeping the kids from accidentally turning the PS3 on.

If you want to use a wired 360 controller on the ps3 I use XCM Cross Battle adapter. Works pretty well with mw2 as long as you changed the R1 and L1 for ads and fire to R2 and L2. Also there is little lag to speak of. The only problem is that you need to use a wired 360 controller. But its an alternative for people who prefer the 360 over the ps3.
I got it for $30 dollars from amazon but now the its up to $40 :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I've now used this controller with the Heavy Rain demo. It was plugged in the whole time and I experienced no lag. The only issue I have is the right analog stick seems to grind when I rotate it. It is an annoying sensation like rubbing the stick against sand paper, but I figure I'll get over it.

The only thing I notice with the R1/L1 issue is that you seem to have to stretch your fingers farther to hit them than with the 360 or DS3. I have long fingers so it doesn't affect me at all. Then again I'm not playing Uncharted yet so reliance on these buttons isn't as critical giving my hands ample recover time.

bread's done
Back