General Gaming Thread #10 goes to Hell!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did my taxes tonight and the secret code word to determine if I wasn't a robot was hells

as in hells yeah im gonna have about 1,800 in a week or so (said purely for sarcasm and ironic awfulness)

Mostly going to pax and savings. I might buy something.

Aww, I was hoping to make this one. Oh well, hopefully next thread shall be mine!

I got a code for LBP's Pirates DLC for a buck today and finally got around to playing it tonight. A lot of fun, reminded me that I should play LBP more often.

Hoo boy, Amazon just put Bioshock 2, Dante's Inferno, and Star Ocean International into "Shipping Soon" status.

Backlog increase!

Star Ocean? Disappointment, shipping soon!

I'm more excited for the joystiq Blueberry Muffin Tops breakfast and the Retronauts live taping than I would be for any musical act or movie star I could run into, I think.

Not that I think it's a bigger deal, but made more giddy.

I finally got a squad leader status in MAG - didn't know what I was doing and the people kicked me from the game, with good reason. That game is GREAT.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']Nah, the people that stay will you always live.[/QUOTE]

Not true. Thane was with me and he died. He was loyal too.

And holy crap, Uematsu is going to be at Anime Boston. I never liked his music, but I still admit that is a pretty big guest!

[quote name='jer7583']Star Ocean? Disappointment, shipping soon![/QUOTE]

For a guy who whines when people question his taste, you sure are quick to judge.

Took me two hours to find this GGT because Mass Effect wasnt in the title...

And I'm happy Bioshock 2 is being received well. I was totally going to pass it, I think I'll pick it up now...

[quote name='seanr1221']Squad leader is pretty simple, Jerbear.

Push select and mark a frago point with square.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, It was late and I had just leveled up so I was not really paying too much attention.

As for gunm it's just a joke man. I saw videos of that game when the 360 version came out and it made me ill. Just seems like one of the most stereotypically japanese JRPGs of the generation.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 demo is pretty good. It doesn't seem to be as polished as MW2, but the Multiplayer is suitably epic.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Took me two hours to find this GGT because Mass Effect wasnt in the title...

And I'm happy Bioshock 2 is being received well. I was totally going to pass it, I think I'll pick it up now...[/QUOTE]

So far it feels like a straight continuation of the first game... not that it's a sequel, but that the first game never ended... probably because they use almost all the same mechanics and the same engine, etc.

[quote name='jer7583']As for gunm it's just a joke man. I saw videos of that game when the 360 version came out and it made me ill. Just seems like one of the most stereotypically japanese JRPGs of the generation.[/QUOTE]
It is. The game is mediocre at best.

White Knigh Chronicles is so good.
I can't believe the criminally poor reviews. First time in a long time I felt they "got it wrong" for the most part. None of them played online outside the first quest, which is probably why.
Doing quests online with friends, visiting/farming their towns, it's all a blast.
Some of the Cag guys on my lists are already at ridiculous levels.... sheeit, I was busy all weekend. :(

Singleplayer is straight forward enough, but decent.
Has that simple 'classic RPG' charm that Blue Dragon had.

It's a solid 7-8 for me.

[quote name='dallow']
Has that simple 'classic RPG' charm that Blue Dragon had.[/QUOTE]
That one line just did made me never want to touch the game more than any review did...

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']That one line just did made me never want to touch the game more than any review did...[/QUOTE]

Yeah. I think that pretty much killed it for me here. I had no interest in blue dragon, it looked horrible, and by most accounts, that was accurate.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']That one line just did made me never want to touch the game more than any review did...[/QUOTE]
I knew the moment someone compared it to rogue galaxy that I would never want to touch it. That just makes sure I'll avoid it even more.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']Does Tali always argue with someone else? I don't remember her arguing with anyone at any point. I remember arguing with Zaeed. I loved it! I wish Shep was able to argue with everyone every time.[/QUOTE]Have you beaten the game yet? When you get that last Party member you know a fight is bound to happen at some point.

$1800 refund?
Man, I only got $50 last year, and I think I had to pay the IRS the year before that.
Probably $50 again this year, is it even worth it to take it somewhere?
I usually do it myself.

Played a bit more of Critter Crunch and Demon's Souls today. I actually got Game Over twice in CC because I was feeding the little guy in the game which speeds up each row falling :\ I'm about 18 levels in and it's pretty good but I wish they'd stop introducing new mechanics already.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']I knew the moment someone compared it to rogue galaxy that I would never want to touch it. That just makes sure I'll avoid it even more.

Have you beaten the game yet? When you get that last Party member you know a fight is bound to happen at some point.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I already beat it, I forgot about that fight with the final party member. I think I played through my first ME2 game wayyyy quicker than I was supposed to, because I've forgotten about
Legion
twice now when talking about the game.

Easy to do since you get that character so late.

They really should have given you all the characters a bit earlier and a had a few more main story missions in the game rather than so much of the main missions being character recruitment and loyalty quests IMO.

Just a nitpick though, like all the gripes I have with the game. All tiny flaws on a fantastic game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Next to Grunt,
Legion
is one of my favorite new characters. I really hope they bring him back for 3.

Speaking of ME2 there should be a new DLC weapon up today...

Got matched up on Goozex for Assassin's Creed 2 quicker than I expected. So guess that's what I'll be playing next.

[quote name='dallow']White Knigh Chronicles is so good.
I can't believe the criminally poor reviews. First time in a long time I felt they "got it wrong" for the most part. None of them played online outside the first quest, which is probably why.
Doing quests online with friends, visiting/farming their towns, it's all a blast.
Some of the Cag guys on my lists are already at ridiculous levels.... sheeit, I was busy all weekend. :(

Singleplayer is straight forward enough, but decent.
Has that simple 'classic RPG' charm that Blue Dragon had.

It's a solid 7-8 for me.[/QUOTE]
I wish it had the focus lines that FFXII had so I could tell who a monster is about to attack.

I'm still in the intro sequence at two hours in as I'm trying to finish Shiren the Wanderer on Wii first. :whistle2:(

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']Next to Grunt,
Legion
is one of my favorite new characters. I really hope they bring him back for 3.[/QUOTE]

Same here, though I really hated grunt even though he was in my main squad. I like Krogans alot, but grunt just dosnt stack up against Wrex for me.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']Same here, though I really hated grunt even though he was in my main squad. I like Krogans alot, but grunt just dosnt stack up against Wrex for me.[/QUOTE]

Grunt > Wrex.

[quote name='dallow']$1800 refund?
Man, I only got $50 last year, and I think I had to pay the IRS the year before that.
Probably $50 again this year, is it even worth it to take it somewhere?
I usually do it myself.[/QUOTE]

You're actually doing things right, dallow.
You're supposed to keep as close to 0 as possible... so paying $25 is, in theory, better than getting $500 back.

When you start to own property and get to itemize deductions (like with mortgage interest, student loan interest, PMI, etc. you can clean up with your refund (like I did... between state and fed, I'm getting back more than 5k. However, it's going toward a new reoof or paying off the renovations I had to make to the house. :( ). If you're not familiar with the reasoning here, it's because the more you get back, the more money you "lent" to the fed for free... it's money you could've used to pay down credit cards or bills or been earning interest on. Odds are, if you're single, with little debt, no property, you can file the 1040ez. If you've got a ton of student loan interest and make less than like 50k, you should do a 1040a because you want to claim the credit for student loan interest...

Yeah, I may have been too cautious in claiming 0 deductions on my income taxes. That's why I got so much back. I just hadn't had a full year of working a salaried job before so I didn't want to end up owing the government. It would have been better to have that in a bank getting interest, but it is what it is.

yeah, when I get a huge refund, I don't consider myself to have done particularly well the year before...usually means I was in transition or something. but it is nice to get that fat check. It's paying for my spring vacation this year.

I kind of want to buy something ridiculous and rare.

Like a complete copy of Earthbound or Panzer Dragoon Saga.

Or a sealed copy of some NES game.

Yeah, I'm getting a little over $2,000 back. Just because I claim 0 deductions and didn't have any 1099 self employment consulting.

I claim 0 so I don't get a huge bill if I have a few grand in consulting pay, as it just cuts into the refund first. As a big tax bill kicked my ass a couple years ago when I ended up owing $1,000 and didn't really have it as I didn't budget for it when getting the untaxed consulting pay.

I get the wanting to earn interest on money rather than get a refund, but just don't have the time to fuss with it--nor enough savings to bother--right now.

In a year or two I'll put more thought into it since I've finally started my real career and make decent money. For now I don't mind the refund as I wouldn't have invested it anyway--would have just been sitting in my checking account since I don't even have a savings yet. Letting the checking build up a bit after paying off some debts, moving costs etc. more before I opened one--will do so in a month or two.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']Next to Grunt,
Legion
is one of my favorite new characters. I really hope they bring him back for 3.

Speaking of ME2 there should be a new DLC weapon up today...[/QUOTE]
Armor, too! I began to hate the armor, but after playing with it a little it isn't that bad. I like the open face on it. The gun is seriously badass, serrated metal shotgun?

fuck yes.

I agree with you on the best new characters
(I really wished that I would stop forgetting about Legion, though)
and I'll add Miranda. I love her to death. She's a character that I'm really hoping returns in ME3.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']Genetically, yes, but story, I'd at least want your point of view on it.[/QUOTE]

Wrex wasn't very likable in the first one. His visual design is a lot less pleasing than Grunt... I can't even remember how you end up recruiting Wrex at this point and the only thing I do recall is that I had to shoot him in the face. I felt bad afterwards, so I reloaded and persuaded him to back down... I just never connected with him/empathized with him or anything. Grunt on the other hand, I felt bad for... created in a lab, taught all this stuff with which he has no meaning associated...

So for me, he looks better, he's got a better story... hell, he made me consider giving Wrex a second chance if I ever play ME again.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']Armor, too! I began to hate the armor, but after playing with it a little it isn't that bad. I like the open face on it. The gun is seriously badass, serrated metal shotgun?

fuck yes.

I agree with you on the best new characters
(I really wished that I would stop forgetting about Legion, though)
and I'll add Miranda. I love her to death. She's a character that I'm really hoping returns in ME3.[/QUOTE]

I never had a problem with the DLC armor myself. Inb fact I kinda of like the Collector's armo... but it doesn't suit my Paragon character. And I'm surprised I like Miranda as much as I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back