Help With My Irrational Fear Of Flying

Ski Hawk

CAGiversary!
Feedback
145 (100%)
This June, my school orchestra and I are flying to Disneyworld (from Minneapolis to Orlando) for the Disney orchestra days, or something like that. I am looking forward to the trip, but not looking forward to flying there or back.

I was in 4th grade when 9/11 happened, which gave me my semi-phobia of flying. I have only flown once round trip since then, but my fear still lingers. I'm a bit afraid of terrorism, and sometimes my mind plays awful scenarios in my head about a bomb going off in the plane, or something like that. Oddly, I'm not scared of anything else going wrong.

I consider myself a rational person. I know that everyday there are 30000+ smooth flights everyday in the US. I know there hasn't been a successful major attack in the US since 9/11. And I know that out of the millions of flights in past years, there have only been a handful of incidents that resulted in fatalities in the US. But even the most rational people can still have wild imaginations and fears. I just think, "What if it's the one plane I'm on that a terrorist targets?" It doesn't help that the government has said that Al Qaeda will likely plan an attack within the next six months.

I know that everything will likely be okay. I'm not losing sleep or fearing for my life. But it would help to have everyday people and fliers reassure with reason and/or statistics. Thanks, and please don't post just to troll about my irrational fear.

The 4th fucking grade on 9/11? Seriously? I was in high school, but still...jesus...now I'm old...

I've only flown once, and it was like a year ago, and to New York! But the last thing I was thinking of was terrorism, honestly, more the remote (though much much more likely than terrorism) chance that an engine would blow out or something.

Since it seems like you're going anyway, you'll have to get on that plane and accept the fact that if something terrible happens you have absolutely no control and you're fucked. But you'll be fine. Have fun!

Oh, and btw, Disneyworld sucks.

I was flying on 9/11 out of Ronald Reagan National Airport, was going to Florida. I still fly now not a big deal really. You don't have to be afraid of flying, it's safe. And if the plane shits itself, I'm sure you won't feel a thing when the fiery twisted metal ball that was once a plane crashes into the cold hard earth

Bring a gun... oh wait that won't work.

I fly a decent amount. I've been flying 6-10 times a year since I was 12. At first, it was exciting, then I started flying Jetblue and I started experiencing some HARD landings. I started to get scared when it would come time to land, but you just have to man up. Try to think about something else, maybe you can ask a cute girl to sit next you and tell her it would help your fear.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B._A._Baracus

A teetotaler, B.A. never touches alcohol, preferring milk instead. He suffers an intense fear of flying ("I ain't gittin' on no plane!"), especially when the plane in question is flown by Murdock. This difficulty is often overcome by other members of the team drugging him, knocking him unconscious, or, as in one episode, hypnotizing him, so he can be transported without objection. In the Season 1 episode "The Beast from the Belly of a Boeing", he is on a plane pretending to be a maintenance technician with Murdock when the plane suddenly takes off. He immediately falls into a catatonic state while Murdock tries to revive him. Furthermore, in two episodes "The Sound of Thunder" and "Quarterback Sneak" B.A. hops onto a helicopter which is piloted by Murdock (although he is said to have gone catatonic during the plane ride in "The Sound of Thunder").

[quote name='dastly75']Death isn't that bad. If it does happen, it'd probably be quick and painless.
[/QUOTE]

It's just the 2-3 minutes beforehand as he's plunging straight down in a 10-ton hunk of metal, probably on fire, that'll get the OP...

I also have a fear of flying...well, not the flying so much as the crashing. But Liquid is right, read those statistics. It helped me a lot.

[quote name='keithp']It's just the 2-3 minutes beforehand as he's plunging straight down in a 10-ton hunk of metal, probably on fire, that'll get the OP...[/QUOTE]

2 minutes is all I need for panic sex.

I have flown 6 times in the last three years. For all the fear, there are some cool moments in the air. In 2008 when I took off from Orlando we we're 30,000 feet up and saw the space shuttle shooting off into space. One of the coolest things I ever saw. My only wish was that I had my camera out to take a pic of it. It was amazing.

Just try try to focus on the good things about flying and that will help.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']2 minutes is all I need for panic sex.[/QUOTE]

The sweaty palms makes it really easy.

I saw 9/11 in person and I'm scared to fly but the two are completely unrelated. I fly a couple of times a year and I absolutely hate it (but I'll do it - I'm not going alter my life because of some stupid irrational fear). Most of the time I have 2 or 3 drinks to calm my nerves but last time I had some hydromorphone with me and that made it real easy.

People keep saying driving is mroe dangerous than flying. While yes, statistically it is- don't forget that the airplane are piloted by experienced people, while anyone basically has access to a car and such.

There are also A LOT more cars than planes in use. These are major contributing factors to why there are more car accidents.

When a plane accident does occur though, it is much more tragic.

On a side note:

I havn't flown since 2005, but I will be flying this May. I am a little nervous myself..

The bottom line is, it has to get done. You'll be fine, and so will I- but that doesn't make it any easier.

I fly once or twice a month. It's great. Only thing to fear is the security process involved in actually getting to the plane, and not getting a window seat. Or sitting next to a "big" person. Or next to a hot girl if you're sleepy...........

Statistically speaking; If we took all pilots and cockpits out of passenger airliners we'd have better odds of arriving safely at our destination. There would be no one to auto correct for what they believe to be a mistake and no controls to hijack the plane from. Planes are inherently safe (like cars and guns); people aren't.

With that said; you'll be fine. Odds are nobody will pull any shit on your plane because you're flying from a crappy part of the country to a lesser crappy part. If you were flying East-> West coast or some other major route then yes you would be a bigger target.

Also; if shit does go south two things will happen. You'll die and have a place in the history books or more likely your airplane will kick the shit out of the terrorist and you'll get laid every time you go to a bar.

So; you should fly on the airplane not to go to Disneyworld but to hope that you can have a future story for easy boobage.

[quote name='SpazX']The 4th fucking grade on 9/11? Seriously? I was in high school, but still...jesus...now I'm old...

I've only flown once, and it was like a year ago, and to New York! But the last thing I was thinking of was terrorism, honestly, more the remote (though much much more likely than terrorism) chance that an engine would blow out or something.

Since it seems like you're going anyway, you'll have to get on that plane and accept the fact that if something terrible happens you have absolutely no control and you're fucked. But you'll be fine. Have fun!

Oh, and btw, Disneyworld sucks.[/QUOTE]

I was in 5th.

Feel old.

How's this for old? I had just graduated college! I was in the Bronx getting my driver's license at the time the whole thing happened.

I actually went to Orlando for the Disney Orchestra thing when I was freshman in HS back in '94. Good times... I think I still have a t-shirt somewhere.

Good luck OP.

[quote name='Magehart']Statistically speaking; If we took all pilots and cockpits out of passenger airliners we'd have better odds of arriving safely at our destination. There would be no one to auto correct for what they believe to be a mistake and no controls to hijack the plane from. Planes are inherently safe (like cars and guns); people aren't.[/QUOTE]

You do know that they have auto takeoff, land and pilot right? Pilots literally only have to taxi the airplane these days unless they want to do more. Some aircraft have built in flight envelopes that the pilot can't fly out of. Our odds of arriving safely on airlines is vastly superior than any other form of transportation.

[quote name='SpazX']The 4th fucking grade on 9/11? Seriously? I was in high school, but still...jesus...now I'm old...
[/QUOTE]

No kidding, I was 22 (almost 23) and a senior in college!

I fly pretty regularly. Probably 10 or so times a year. I've never really had a fear of it. You just have to not be pessimistic and think about the tiny risks.

The odds of you dying in a car crash are hugely greater than dying in airplane crash.

[quote name='slvrknght8'].... and not getting a window seat. Or sitting next to a "big" person. [/QUOTE]

Not getting an aisle seat for me. I can't sleep on planes, and tend to have to use the restroom once or twice at least and like to be able to get up without having to get people to move.

But yes, getting stuck next to a big person is the worst, especially on a long flight. Nothing worse than having someone spilling into your seat and making you even more crowded and uncomfortable than airplanes already are.

[quote name='Malik112099']You do know that they have auto takeoff, land and pilot right? Pilots literally only have to taxi the airplane these days unless they want to do more. Some aircraft have built in flight envelopes that the pilot can't fly out of. Our odds of arriving safely on airlines is vastly superior than any other form of transportation.[/QUOTE]

Yes I know. What I was saying is that if we made airlines completely autonomous we'd be much better off. Airline travel would be cheaper and safer but no amount of PR could convince the public of this. Pilots do more harm than good when flying airplanes.

just be glad that your school orchestra is good enough/has enough people to do something like that. My high school orchestra never had any trip while the bands wen to all sort of neat place.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I have flown 6 times in the last three years. For all the fear, there are some cool moments in the air. In 2008 when I took off from Orlando we we're 30,000 feet up and saw the space shuttle shooting off into space. One of the coolest things I ever saw. My only wish was that I had my camera out to take a pic of it. It was amazing.[/QUOTE]

That sounds incredible. I can't imagine what it would look like from the air.

As for flying, don't forget to bring a book. Also, don't forget to buy a water and a snack when you get to the terminal. The snacks they give these days aren't even close to adequate.

As for 9/11, I guess us old foagies should understand that younger people didn't have anything else to shock them before 9/11. Personally, seeing the Challenger explode while I was in kindergarten terrified me of taking shuttle flights. Still haven't gotten over that one.

[quote name='depascal22']That sounds incredible. I can't imagine what it would look like from the air.[/QUOTE]

It was amazing. It was crystal clear out that day and we had a great view of the ocean and beachline. Then the pilot comes on and informs us the shuttle is lifting off and banks in that direction so we can see. Thank goodness I was in the right side of the plane with a window seat. The shuttle was moving so fast, and it looked like a cloud was pushing the shuttle into space. In was absolutely surreal to see that thing going into space from 30,000. It was such a once in a lifetime thing that I'll remember that image forever.

[quote name='c0rnpwn']I like how you're afraid of 9/11 and you're in fucking North Dakota. Please.[/QUOTE]

Hey. Don't be talkin' trash about North Dakota. That's where I grew up. :speaktothehand:

[quote name='depascal22']As for 9/11, I guess us old foagies should understand that younger people didn't have anything else to shock them before 9/11. Personally, seeing the Challenger explode while I was in kindergarten terrified me of taking shuttle flights. Still haven't gotten over that one.[/QUOTE]

Yep, that was my kindergarten too. That was pretty crazy, especially since you're a little kid excited about space.

I was in 5th grade when the Challenger exploded. They even wheeled a TV into the classroom so we could all watch (which was a BIG deal back then). I'll never forget it.

[quote name='keithp']It's just the 2-3 minutes beforehand as he's plunging straight down in a 10-ton hunk of metal, probably on fire, that'll get the OP...[/QUOTE]

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']2 minutes is all I need for panic sex.[/QUOTE]

From Mallrats: "He was on this plane to New Mexico when all of the sudden the hydraulics went. The plane starts spinning around, going out of control, so he figures it's all over and whips it out and starts beating it right there. So all the other passengers take a cue from him and they start whipping it out and beating like mad! So all the passengers are beating off, plummeting to their certain doom, when all of the sudden, the hydraulics kick back in. The plane rights itself and they land safely and everyone puts their penises or, whatever, you know, away and deboard. No one mentions the phenomenon to anyone else."

From Cabin Fever: "Its like being on a plane, when you know its gonna crash -everyone around you is screaming, yelling "Were going down! Were
going down!" And all you really wanna do is grab the person next to
you and fuck the shit out of them, cuz you know youre gonna be
dead soon, anyway.
"

[quote name='Magehart']Statistically speaking; If we took all pilots and cockpits out of passenger airliners we'd have better odds of arriving safely at our destination. There would be no one to auto correct for what they believe to be a mistake and no controls to hijack the plane from. Planes are inherently safe (like cars and guns); people aren't.

With that said; you'll be fine. Odds are nobody will pull any shit on your plane because you're flying from a crappy part of the country to a lesser crappy part. If you were flying East-> West coast or some other major route then yes you would be a bigger target.

Also; if shit does go south two things will happen. You'll die and have a place in the history books or more likely your airplane will kick the shit out of the terrorist and you'll get laid every time you go to a bar.

So; you should fly on the airplane not to go to Disneyworld but to hope that you can have a future story for easy boobage.[/QUOTE]
Thanks, this post helped me out a lot. I figured that the route I was flying was likely a factor, since I heard that flights coming into the US are more likely to be targeted. I just get a little uneasy when I think how easy it'd be to sneak liquid explosives onto a plane. But I know it'd be more difficult more them to be successfully detonated and that the passengers would likely take action.

My big issue is that I like to be in control, something I have to relinquish when I step on a plane. But I know everything will be okay.

[quote name='dastly75']
From Cabin Fever: "Its like being on a plane, when you know its gonna crash -everyone around you is screaming, yelling "Were going down! Were
going down!" And all you really wanna do is grab the person next to
you and fuck the shit out of them, cuz you know youre gonna be
dead soon, anyway.
"[/QUOTE]

The only quote that matters from that movie is "PANCAKES!"

bread's done
Back