PC or Mac notebook?

saadman

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Help me out here CAGs. I cannot decide between a PC or Mac notebook.

I use my current desktop PC for things not normally accessible on Macs like homebrew programs etc... I do some programming, but not a ton.

My issue is that macbook pros are such solid computers. Small, powerful, portable, great battery life.....but I doubt I could use most of my windows applications on them.

I was thinking of a Lenovo Thinkpad T410, but I'm still conflicted between which format will be better.

[quote name='saadman']but I doubt I could use most of my windows applications on them.[/QUOTE]

You can use parallels or VMWare to get around that. Not the most elegant thing however.

I prefer Macbooks because you get access to the whole suite of software between windows and OSX via OSX itself and Windows in bootcamp.

And unibody is nice :)

As others have posted, you can easily get Windows running on a Mac. So there is no need to worry whether or not you'll have access to certain programs. The only real deciding factor is if you have the cash to spend on a macbook rather than going with a cheaper alternative.

There are plenty of small windows based laptops with good performance and battery life. Unlless you want to spend the extra money for the Apple image, i'd just get one of the aforementioned laptops..

if you buy the right notebook you can get osx running on it and save money instead of doing it the other way around.

what are you going to be using your notebook for? depending on what your plans are for it you may only need to get a notebook or, dare i say, a netbook and save several hundred dollars over a mac.

I have a Lenova Thinkpad T400 that my work provided. It's a solid laptop.

Macbooks are great too though. I've thought of getting one many times just for personal use, less worry about viruses etc., but have never bitten the bullet as I just couldn't bring myself to pay the premium for a Mac since I can get a PC laptop much cheaper since I don't need a ton of power.

I also need help with this, but I have little computer knowledge.
I would like a nice laptop to replace my slow as hell E machines desktop I'm using now.
I'd mostly use my laptop to do school work, browse the internet, and maybe play some PC games.

Maybe you guys can help me figure out whats wrong with this E machines I'm using.
It constantly slows down, and I get pop-ups telling me my virtual memory is low, and I'm getting A LOT on non-responsive script errors. I usually have to wait 20-30 mins for it to boot up when I turn it on as well.

[quote name='Nathan_Sama']I also need help with this, but I have little computer knowledge.
I would like a nice laptop to replace my slow as hell E machines desktop I'm using now.
I'd mostly use my laptop to do school work, browse the internet, and maybe play some PC games.

Maybe you guys can help me figure out whats wrong with this E machines I'm using.
It constantly slows down, and I get pop-ups telling me my virtual memory is low, and I'm getting A LOT on non-responsive script errors. I usually have to wait 20-30 mins for it to boot up when I turn it on as well.[/QUOTE]

try the PC forum for more help. sounds like a memory upgrade could help a lot. post your specs and im sure people can give you suggestions.

what type of games are you looking to play? that will determine what type of laptop you need and how much youll need to spend. every day things are going to run the same on just about any laptop.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']if you buy the right notebook you can get osx running on it and save money instead of doing it the other way around.

what are you going to be using your notebook for? depending on what your plans are for it you may only need to get a notebook or, dare i say, a netbook and save several hundred dollars over a mac.[/QUOTE]

Just to let you know OP, the OSx86 project (allows you to run OS X on a PC) is very big at this point in time, but still not fool proof. There are still a lot of hardware issues and whatnot. If you plan on doing this, make sure you research to make sure that your hardware will work.

But, IMO, you can't deny the sexiness of the aluminum unibody Macbook Pro. :drool:

I have a Macbook Pro and run windows XP on it. It hasn't crashed, ever, and everything runs just fine.

Too bad I bought a Macbook Pro right before the new line came out. Mine only has about 3 hours of battery life :(

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']try the PC forum for more help. sounds like a memory upgrade could help a lot. post your specs and im sure people can give you suggestions.

what type of games are you looking to play? that will determine what type of laptop you need and how much youll need to spend. every day things are going to run the same on just about any laptop.[/QUOTE]
what do I look under to find my specs on the computer?
Would putting all my music, documents, and pictures on a external hard drive, then re-installing Windows XP help?
I was wanting to play like stuff like Peggle, Plants vs. Zombies, L4D 1&2, Team Fortress 2, Fallout 3, Borderlands, etc. on a laptop.

for a laptop I would go mac - even considering the price premium. I have three mac laptops of various generations in my house. They are solid.

Personally, I use a custom made desktop with windows 7 - a very capable and nice looking OS - as my main computer. My wife uses the macs as her main computers but I use them frequently. I teach on macs daily. I also have two hackintosh desktops running right now. One core2duo and one p4. Hackintosh is NOT easy. Even when it's suppose to be. My c2d system was a vanilla install and it was still a pain - lots of research has to be done when you are creating a hackintosh (osx86 system - whatever you want to call it.) Unless you have plenty of time and lots of computer know-how (I've been working on and building computers for over 20 years) I would just get a mac if you want OS X.

[quote name='Nathan_Sama']what do I look under to find my specs on the computer?
Would putting all my music, documents, and pictures on a external hard drive, then re-installing Windows XP help?
I was wanting to play like stuff like Peggle, Plants vs. Zombies, L4D 1&2, Team Fortress 2, Fallout 3, Borderlands, etc. on a laptop.[/QUOTE]

well those are some newer games you have no there, so youll have to spend a decent amount to get a worthwhile computer. this may suffice, its capable or running some newer games at medium settings with a decent fps. but again, depending on your budget you could do better. also, with a laptop that can play something like borderland and l4d2 youre probably looking at something with a fairly big screen and heavier than most laptops.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba...lack/9705203.p?id=1218154377801&skuId=9705203

right click on my computer and select properties. it will give you youre cpu speed, ram, and OS. that should be enough to start.

[quote name='bordjon']for a laptop I would go mac - even considering the price premium. I have three mac laptops of various generations in my house. They are solid.

Personally, I use a custom made desktop with windows 7 - a very capable and nice looking OS - as my main computer. My wife uses the macs as her main computers but I use them frequently. I teach on macs daily. I also have two hackintosh desktops running right now. One core2duo and one p4. Hackintosh is NOT easy. Even when it's suppose to be. My c2d system was a vanilla install and it was still a pain - lots of research has to be done when you are creating a hackintosh (osx86 system - whatever you want to call it.) Unless you have plenty of time and lots of computer know-how (I've been working on and building computers for over 20 years) I would just get a mac if you want OS X.[/QUOTE]

sure, i didnt mean to say that a hackintosh was easy to set up. ive had a hell of a time getting it to run on my homebuilt system, and its still not 100% (its like 60%), but certain laptops and certain hardware configurations make it easier, thats all i mean.

bread's done
Back