Alien vs. Predator - Out NOW!

SynGamer

CAGiversary!
Feedback
66 (100%)
620x150avp.jpg

Synopsis:
Aliens vs Predator is an entirely new title for PC and high-definition consoles from acclaimed British developer Rebellion, the team behind the 1999 original PC gaming classic.

Bringing the legendary war between two of science-fiction’s most popular characters to FPS fans, AvP delivers three outstanding single player campaigns and provides untold hours of unique 3-way multiplayer gaming.

Experience distinctly new and thrilling first person gameplay as you survive, hunt and prey in the deadly jungles and swamps surrounding the damned colony of Freya’s Prospect.

- As the Marine, you’ll experience a claustrophobic and terrifying experience where light is your friend, but there’s never enough. However, the United States Marine Corps are humanity’s last line of defence, and as such they are armed to the teeth with the very latest in high explosive and automatic weaponry.

- As the Predator, you will stalk from the shadows and from above, passing athletically through the treetops to ambush your victims. Although equipped with an array of powerful, exotic weapons and tracking equipment, honour ultimately dictates that you must get in close and take your trophies face to face.

- As the most deadly species in the universe, the Alien offers you the chance to play as the very stuff of nightmares - the monster in the dark swarming forward with countless others, jaws like a steel trap and claws like blades.

- Play all sides off against each other in a series of unique 3-way online modes and go tooth-to-claw-to-pulse rifle in the reinvention of one of multiplayer gaming’s defining moments.

Publisher: Sega
Developer: Rebellion
Genre(s): Action
Players: 3
ESRB Rating: M (Mature)

Reviews: http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps3/aliensvspredator

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Supplice']After trying the demo, no.[/QUOTE]

Have to agree. The matchmaking is bad enough, I feel nauseous as it is playing an alien.

Again, the demo is old code and a horrible mode to have used for multiplayer. All of the previews have said deathmatch and survival are excellent.

[quote name='gkargreen']play the demo, I never get a match![/QUOTE]

same still havent been able to play a match yet.

I fucking hated the demo (for PC) but that's fine because DM is garbage anyways. I really wanted to see the co-op and single-player, because that's where the meat of the game should be.

im definitely going to check out the multiplayer when the game comes out, but i wouldnt spend 60 on it

battlefield 2 does look very promising

I was pumped about this game but between some mediocre reviews and having not been able to actually find a match on the demo, I'm going to hold off.
Edit-Was finally able to get into a quick match. Played as an Alien. Graphics aren't great and controls take some getting used to but it's pretty fun. I may rent it first or wait for a sale but I'll probably pick it up at some point.

Second Edit-was able to play a few more matches thanks to an invite from someone from here. All in all I dig the game, was able to play as the Predator and Marine. The Alien graphics seems to have this intentional muddiness to them which is weird. Controls are odd for the Predator and Alien (what the hell does the focus button do?) but if the single player campaign is decent I'll probably pick this up once I get my best buy reward zone rewards from a few big purchases made there recently.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Cardiff Giant']I was pumped about this game but between some mediocre reviews and having not been able to actually find a match on the demo, I'm going to hold off. If anyone wants to try the demo feel free to send me an invite (CardiffGiant11) as I hear if you can get 3 people in a party it seems to work no problem.

Edit-Was finally able to get into a quick match. Played as an Alien. Graphics aren't great and controls take some getting used to but it's pretty fun. I may rent it first or wait for a sale but I'll probably pick it up at some point.[/QUOTE]

Rebellion making a game that's mediocre and below average? Who would have thought?:)

I'll probably rent it when it comes out, but that demo has to be one of the worst I can remember. As if the game didn't have enough going against it. That demo sure didn't help matters.

[quote name='lehviput']5.75 from game informer. You might want to consider spending your money on Bad Company 2.[/QUOTE]

Did you read the review? At no point did the review say anything that should have resulted in a 5.75...

[quote name='lehviput']5.75 from game informer. You might want to consider spending your money on Bad Company 2.[/QUOTE]

I'll see your 5.75 and raise you OXM's 8/10.

OPM gave the game a 90/100 while GameSpot gave it a 55/100...to be honestly, I haven't agreed with a GameStop review in years...

Anyway, I'm picking up the Hunter Edition today (so long as UPS actually overnighted the game like they are supposed to). Unfortunately, today is inventory day at work so I'm not sure I'll get a chance to play it. If I do, I'll try to post pictures of the HE :D

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps3/aliensvspredator

[quote name='gkargreen']play the demo, I never get a match![/QUOTE]
Same, was a big indicator (i think) of what's to come. will wait for the $20 version.

oh. still have the original and played it again the other day. Predator vision is still awesome!

Now I thought the demo was pretty fun besides the long waiting times on the PC version. But I'm probably going to hold out on it and get BFBC2 instead. I never guide myself by reviews, but I don't know yet. I guess I'll see, but BFBC2 will keep me occupied for a good while. Already ordered myself a FragnStein. (Don't like XIM just because of the fact that you have way too many cables cluttering all over the place.)

I'll still get it, but probably when it hits the $40 range.

finally got to play the demo and its an ok game. playing as an alien sucked very confusing mainly because of the wall crawling mechanic but i loved playing as a colonial marine mostly because of that motion detector sound that they use as enemies get closer to you and the gun was cool too. makes e wonder what the single player game would be like as a marine. wish they had the aliens music in the game too.

[quote name='AndrewsAwesome4']I returned this game about 7 hours after purchasing . I just didnt like anything about it . but keep in mind thats just IMO[/QUOTE]

Are you a fan of the Aliens/Predator movies? Just curious.

As a fan of the alien and predator universe I'm having a BLAST with the single player... I beat marine and Im prob almost half way through the alien campaign. As a fan service, this rocks socks. also, is it me or do the graphics Look WAY better then most reviews are saying? I think the lighting effects make everything look pretty damn good IMHO. I'm having boat loads of fun with this game

For those of us who got the Hunter Edition, SEGA is replacing broken facehuggers . Mine arrived and the tail was snapped in half (it's rubber so it's hanging by a thread). Props to SEGA for starting this quickly.

You can go to SEGA.com/facehugger to submit your replacement form. You'll need your PDLC from the Swamp Map Pack exclusive to Hunter Edition owners to verify your purchase.

EDIT: Looking forward to playing this in a couple hours. Gotta run some errands for the day, but definitely looking forward to booting this up when I get back. If anyone is interested in some survival later today, add me on PSN.

[quote name='spedmunki']When a company releases a demo that doesn't work I'm not going to spend my money buying their game.[/QUOTE]

You do know the demo was patched. I'd rather know they put out old code and worked on the game itself...to each their own though.

[quote name='SynGamer']You do know the demo was patched. I'd rather know they put out old code and worked on the game itself...to each their own though.[/QUOTE]

I didn't feel like downloading the demo again. It was a demo, not a beta, they should have had the bugs worked out.

[quote name='spedmunki']I didn't feel like downloading the demo again. It was a demo, not a beta, they should have had the bugs worked out.[/QUOTE]

They clearly said in the demo that it was old code. So again, I'd much rather they focus on the actual game than a demo (which they took the time to patch).

[quote name='SynGamer'] So again, I'd much rather they focus on the actual game than a demo (which they took the time to patch).[/QUOTE]

One can only imagine how a game that's getting mediocre to bad reviews would be had they not....

[quote name='spedmunki']One can only imagine how a game that's getting mediocre to bad reviews would be had they not....[/QUOTE]

If you read the reviews, the low ones are knocking the game for mediocre graphics and controls and in the case of GI, the game borrows to heavily from the franchises...

Started the Predator campaign today, awesome so far. I can see what the reviews mean by the controls take a little getting used to, but it's no different than getting any other new game and having to learn it's controls as well. The trophy kills are excellent, by the way :D

[quote name='Cardiff Giant']SynGamer, about how long is each campaign (if you have finished the other two thus far)?[/QUOTE]

I haven't finished any of them yet, been working crazy hours this week, but I've heard reports of about 3-4 hours for each campaign (so 9-12 hours total). Not too bad.. I'll chime in when I finish the Predator campaign since that seems to be the one I'm spending the most time on right now.

[quote name='SynGamer']I haven't finished any of them yet, been working crazy hours this week, but I've heard reports of about 3-4 hours for each campaign (so 9-12 hours total). Not too bad.. I'll chime in when I finish the Predator campaign since that seems to be the one I'm spending the most time on right now.[/QUOTE]

Cool thanks for the continued updates. even though this game is at best a bit of a let down and at worst terrible according to various reviews, I'm still really close to pulling the trigger and picking it up. I'll have to see if I can rent it locally though as that may make the decision a bit easier.

I was able to rent it yesterday. Started playing last night for a few hours and played today for a few more. Have already finished the Marine and Predator Campaign and have got through about the first 3rd of the Alien. Played a bit of multiplayer last night as well.

My conclusion? Rent it or get it cheap. The Marine campaign and Predator campaign start out well but gradually just got sloppy and repetitive. The Alien campaign is fun at times but incredibly frustrating because it's near impossible to figure out where you need to go at times. You'll find yourself backtracking over and over looking for a specific vent only to find you've gone in a complete circle.

Multiplayer is ok, not as good as I was hoping. Did a bit of team deathmatch as a predator which was ok along with Predator Hunt, Survivor, and Infestation mode. They're fun but don't really do anything terribly well or better than the previous AvP games save for better graphics. It's not that they're bad but it's just how much can you rehash the same gameplay over and over again? That combined with the fact that I don't think this will be a popular title for long (if at all) in the online community sort of seals the deal not to get this one for anything close to MSRP.

I pretty much agree with all of the 6/10 reviews out there. Lot of promise but poorly executed.

[quote name='SynGamer']Yeah, I'm at about a 7.1/10 right now. It's fun but a bit more time and polish could have made this a lot better.[/QUOTE]

One thing I forgot to point out in my review, it seems to me the aiming mechanics for the marine are a little off. It seems auto aim is either "all in" or not at all (excluding the smart gun though obviously). I noticed that some of the erratic alien movements and some aiming issues added an unintended difficulty to the marine campaign since aiming was really wonky at times. Not sure if it's a slowdown/ frame rate issue or what but that was a bit annoying at times. Have you noticed a similar behavior at times?

I've been waffling on this game, mainly because they've been making a big to-do about the multiplayer which often says to me "this game has tacked-on singleplayer"... unfortunately all I play is SP. I might have to pick it up for rent though.

[quote name='eastshore4']I've been waffling on this game, mainly because they've been making a big to-do about the multiplayer which often says to me "this game has tacked-on singleplayer"... unfortunately all I play is SP. I might have to pick it up for rent though.[/QUOTE]
I bought it for MP and the SP (marine is all I've played) is pretty damn faithful to the movies, with lots of nods here and there. The MP is really hindered by lack of dedicated servers, which has been killing the community pretty quick. I was pretty shocked at how bad reviews have been because while there's a lot of issues I have with the game, it's still pretty solid and refreshing for an FPS. You can beat the SP during a rental, so that's your best bet.

Finished the Alien campaign last night (have now finished all of the SP) and the game isn't due back until Thursday :lol:
It's clearly the weakest of the three campaigns but does have its moments. Definitely worth a rental if you're a fan of the films.

Played the demo on PS3. For those complaining about not getting a match you have to wait 2 or 3 minutes. I was the same way until the second or third day after downloading I left the room and the match was set up. I like the demo alot. The alien is a bit hard to play. I've played the other Rebellion AVP games (except PSP) and they were alot of fun. When the price goes down to $40 or under I'll pick it up.

[quote name='geotech']Played the demo on PS3. For those complaining about not getting a match you have to wait 2 or 3 minutes. I was the same way until the second or third day after downloading I left the room and the match was set up. I like the demo alot. The alien is a bit hard to play. I've played the other Rebellion AVP games (except PSP) and they were alot of fun. When the price goes down to $40 or under I'll pick it up.[/QUOTE]

It used to completely not work at all, then they released a new version of the demo and it only takes like 3 minutes tops to find a game. Before you could leave it going for hours and not find one.

I have three of the pre-order multiplayer bonus codes. First come, first served. Post in here if you want one, and I'll PM you later today, tomorrow or Monday.

The codes are for three MP skins in case anyone is wondering. Any chance they work for the PC? Amazon never gave out pre-order codes for mine. :\

[quote name='guinaevere']I just happen to have two for the PC also. I'll PM you one in a second.[/QUOTE]
Thanks luv. :D

[quote name='guinaevere']I have three of the pre-order multiplayer bonus codes. First come, first served. Post in here if you want one, and I'll PM you later today, tomorrow or Monday.[/QUOTE]

I would like one if you don't mind sharing. Thanks for your generosity in advance.

[quote name='guinaevere']I have three of the pre-order multiplayer bonus codes. First come, first served. Post in here if you want one, and I'll PM you later today, tomorrow or Monday.[/QUOTE]

I'd really appreciate one of the pre-order codes too!
Thank you :)

bread's done
Back