* * * * * 9 votes

Your collection - post a photo - show us what'cha got!

#5671 ZombieToast   He wears a disguise to look like human guys. CAGiversary!   3080 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

ZombieToast

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:20 AM

Back when I used to be a regular at 4chan for the laughs and "other" reasons, I saw some terrible things done to figures. After seeing some of that shit, I don't think I could ever bring myself to buy used figures.

People do that with everything, though. Every coin I handle goes in my ass before it goes back into circulation. It's my little gift to the world.

#5672 Ironman8   King CAGiversary!   1210 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

Posted 13 May 2014 - 03:13 PM

People do that with everything, though. Every coin I handle goes in my ass before it goes back into circulation. It's my little gift to the world.

Note to self: Never shop anywhere Zombie Toast does.

#5673 Squarehard   Nyaa~ CAGiversary!   21187 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 13 May 2014 - 03:31 PM

Back when I used to be a regular at 4chan for the laughs and "other" reasons, I saw some terrible things done to figures. After seeing some of that shit, I don't think I could ever bring myself to buy used figures. 

Just have a portable black light with you when you buy used.

Problem solved.

#5674 Ironman8   King CAGiversary!   1210 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

Posted 13 May 2014 - 03:42 PM

You guys are crazy. I would've never guessed somebody would use these as sex toys. I saw that Mtv show with furries and balloon boy. Whatever floats your boat.

#5675 elessar123  

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:43 PM

You guys are crazy. I would've never guessed somebody would use these as sex toys. I saw that Mtv show with furries and balloon boy. Whatever floats your boat.

Back when I visited 4chan... I mean, I heard from someone... that they used to post pictures of um... white liquids on figures.

#5676 Ironman8   King CAGiversary!   1210 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:24 PM

Just have a portable black light with you when you buy used.

Problem solved.

If I tested stuff at garage sales and thrift stores I'd probably never buy used again. Could you imagine walking around with a portable black light and testing different objects you came in contact with? Probably some disgusting things we touch every day (insert joke here). I would get a kick out of checking friends and co workers.

#5677 slowdive21   CAG Elder CAGiversary!   12577 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

slowdive21

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:43 PM

People say "Germ freak, huh?" when I wipe down the keyboard and mouse at the library. I respond, "No just a thinker" ;)

#5678 pitfallharry219  

pitfallharry219

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:47 PM

People say "Germ freak, huh?" when I wipe down the keyboard and mouse at the library. I respond, "No just a thinker" ;)

I've never seen anyone other than me use those sanitizing wipes they have by the carts at Walmart for the intended purpose, but I did see a guy grab one and wipe his mouth with it the other day. :lol:

#5679 Vinny   Bang, bang... pew... CAGiversary!   23572 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:53 PM

That's not a bad idea. 

I started to wipe down every single used game I buy about 4-5 years ago. Not just the discs, but the cases and manuals (just the outside covers). It's amazing how even the cleanest looking items have a built up layer of grime on it. 

#5680 slowdive21   CAG Elder CAGiversary!   12577 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

slowdive21

Posted 13 May 2014 - 06:00 PM

That's not a bad idea. 

I started to wipe down every single used game I buy about 4-5 years ago. Not just the discs, but the cases and manuals (just the outside covers). It's amazing how even the cleanest looking items have a built up layer of grime on it. 

I use a wet paper towel on the cases when I buy them at garage sales (I dont clean the discs or manuals though)...Actually pretty much everything I buy at garages sales I wipe down if possible for the reason you said.

One day I will go to a laundromat with all of the gameboy, ds, game gear (etc) cases and pay to wash them all in one batch. I keep them in my parents garage in a sealed plastic garbage bag (to kill bugs if they are any in there). You should do the same with plush items. I don't usually buy plush items because bedbugs would be unbearable and not worth the risk for me to make a few bucks. I did buy an ALF plush last year, but it has been sealed in a garbage bag in my trunk since last year. ;)

#5681 Ironman8   King CAGiversary!   1210 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

Posted 13 May 2014 - 06:28 PM

I use a wet paper towel on the cases when I buy them at garage sales (I dont clean the discs or manuals though).

I did buy an ALF plush last year, but it has been sealed in a garbage bag in my trunk since last year. ;)

I use a washcloth with a small amount of rubbing alcohol on anything I sell or put in the collection. I think alcohol is perfect for cleaning plastic cases.

About Alf. How has 1 item stayed in your trunk for a year with all the yard sales you go to? Seems like valuable space in a pickers car. Just throw it in the hoard. Pic first please 😁.

#5682 Vinny   Bang, bang... pew... CAGiversary!   23572 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:22 PM

I too use the cloth/rubbing alcohol method... although, rubbing alcohol can discolor/strip/leave streaks, I like that it has much better cleaning properties, can kill germs, and dries quick. 

#5683 tonyv4   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2315 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:35 PM

I've never seen anyone other than me use those sanitizing wipes they have by the carts at Walmart for the intended purpose, but I did see a guy grab one and wipe his mouth with it the other day. :lol:

I recall using it at walmart and a little girl saw me. She told her mom if she wanted one to clean their cart. The mom just laughed at her and told her to get real.

#5684 anotherpoorgamer   Bird's Nest Hair CAGiversary!   5552 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

anotherpoorgamer

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:41 PM

Ah man, now I can't buy anything at thrift stores or second stores without being suspicious of what the previous owner did with an item. 

Now I probably shouldn't even bother buying anything second hand that's mentioned in this thread.

#5685 slowdive21   CAG Elder CAGiversary!   12577 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

slowdive21

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:57 PM

I use 91% rubbing alcohol on the contacts of everything I buy, but I stopped using it on carts/consoles/cases because it can cloud the plastic. It discolors SEGA systems and N64s in my experience. A magic eraser works wonders on NES consoles and games, but I notice a subtle difference in the feel of the plastic afterwards. It wears down some of the texture since the eraser is a mild abrasive. Not all NES systems are textured to the same degree anyway (some are completely smooth on top), but it something someone with a keen sense of touch (like me) can feel the difference in the before and after.

And ALF is still in my trunk. He is taking up a lot of space, but I don't find nearly as much as I used to. ;)

#5686 equistina  

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:27 PM

Hey, quick question for you guys. How do you remove sharpie on cartridges? Specifically n64 ones.

#5687 Krunks   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   160 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:14 PM

Moved into a house and figured thats as good a reason as any to update my collection photos:

ONE/PSP/PS3/CE
DSC02718.jpg

NES/SNES/N64 Boxed Games

DSC02707.jpg

Wii/X360 Overflow

DSC02708.jpg

Genesis/32X/SegaCD/Saturn/OXM

DSC02709.jpg

X360

DSC02710.jpg

DSC02711.jpg

DSC02712.jpg

GCN

DSC02713.jpg

DSC02714.jpg

DSC02715.jpg

PSX/Cartridges

DSC02719.jpg

DC

DSC02716.jpg

Handheld

DSC02722.jpg

Guides/CE

DSC02720.jpg

DSC02721.jpg

Movies

DSC02727.jpg

DSC02728.jpg

DSC02729.jpg

DSC02730.jpg

Setup

DSC02734.jpg

DSC02733.jpg

DSC02732.jpg

Systems

DSC02723.jpg

DSC02724.jpg

Bobbleheads! (Just cause)

DSC02725.jpg

DSC02726.jpg

#5688 elessar123  

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:11 PM

Hey, quick question for you guys. How do you remove sharpie on cartridges? Specifically n64 ones.

Assuming you don't mean the sticker itself, dry erase marker.

#5689 equistina  

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:22 PM

Assuming you don't mean the sticker itself, dry erase marker.

No, it's written on the cartridge.

So I just go over it with dry erase marker and wipe it off?

Sorry, just want to make sure :0

#5690 Ironman8   King CAGiversary!   1210 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:33 PM

Magic eraser and a little bit of cleaner. Don't hit the label though, if it's on label no clue. Magic eraser is a cleaning sponge not for dry erase.

#5691 Ironman8   King CAGiversary!   1210 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:50 PM

Nice collection Krunks.  Nice amount of boxed games.  Cool bobbleheads too.

#5692 elessar123  

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:18 PM

Yep. Go over it with dry erase marker and wipe it off. If it's really old permanent marker, it might leave a light outline, but you can repeat.

#5693 slowdive21   CAG Elder CAGiversary!   12577 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

slowdive21

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:27 PM

You can also use 91% alcohol on marker, it should get the rest of it off. (again not on the label)

#5694 ORGAN1ZAT10N_13  

ORGAN1ZAT10N_13

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:36 PM

And I though I had way too much garbage. This thread makes me feel better about myself and my spending habits  :-P

#5695 Vinny   Bang, bang... pew... CAGiversary!   23572 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:43 PM

Moved into a house and figured thats as good a reason as any to update my collection photos:

Good stuff man. Great N64 collection! 

Have you tried rubbing it with a q-tip or paper towel dabbed in rubbing alcohol? Most permanent markers should come off with some rubbing alcohol. Just keep it away from the label. 

The dry erase method may work but the surface of N64 carts are coarse, so just trying to wipe it off without some kind of solution would probably leave some leftover ink. 

What ever you do, do NOT use a Mr Clean Magic Eraser, since that's basically microscopic sandpaper and will remove the finish on the cartridge. 

#5696 Ironman8   King CAGiversary!   1210 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:59 PM

No Mr Clean huh? It's been awhile since I had to clean marker of a catridge. I probably just used rubbing alcohol. I think I got the eraser idea from JJ games. He's a member of the site and had posted how to clean video games on YouTube. Haven't seen him here in a bit.

#5697 Vinny   Bang, bang... pew... CAGiversary!   23572 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:41 PM

A lot of people use Magic Eraser but probably won't notice what it actually does to the cart's finish. 

Take a Magic Eraser and wipe down a clear/clean CD case (or really, any clear plastic) and you'll see what it does. 

#5698 slowdive21   CAG Elder CAGiversary!   12577 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

slowdive21

Posted 15 May 2014 - 01:47 AM

A lot of people use Magic Eraser but probably won't notice what it actually does to the cart's finish. 

Take a Magic Eraser and wipe down a clear/clean CD case (or really, any clear plastic) and you'll see what it does. 

I just posted something about this in one of the threads a day or two ago...Maybe the thrift store thread. I can tell by feel, but I think the general population can't.

#5699 elessar123  

Posted 15 May 2014 - 02:44 AM

It's basically what happens when you use toothpaste to clean. That's all the magic erasers really are.

#5700 equistina  

Posted 15 May 2014 - 03:56 AM

Good stuff man. Great N64 collection!

Have you tried rubbing it with a q-tip or paper towel dabbed in rubbing alcohol? Most permanent markers should come off with some rubbing alcohol. Just keep it away from the label.

The dry erase method may work but the surface of N64 carts are coarse, so just trying to wipe it off without some kind of solution would probably leave some leftover ink.

What ever you do, do NOT use a Mr Clean Magic Eraser, since that's basically microscopic sandpaper and will remove the finish on the cartridge.

No, I haven't tried yet. I've been organizing my stuff and figured since I now have access to people who know what they're doing when cleaning old games id ask before potentially screwing up my games :)

(I still regret writing on them with a sharpie when I was little D: , but in my defense I did it because I was made to lend someone them and I didn't trust th to try and not keep my stuff)

Thanks all for the advice, I'm not sure when I'll get around to cleaning them, but I'll be sure to let you all know how my endeavor turns out :0