Original Xbox DLC Returns! For now, anyway...

I proposed this question on PA to no avail so maybe you guys can help.

How can I protect the DLC I have already downloaded? These hard drives are almost 10 years old and I'm worried this stuff will be lost like the DLC I had for my Dreamcast ...

MS is shutting down original Xbox Live service (so ALL original xbox games will lose ALL online functionality, including when they are played through the 360). it seems they are posting the DLC for people to grab before the service is gone forever.

btw, there is no way to backup DLC (officially). you can always mod your xbox. or just DL it on 2 xboxs for redundancy. an original xbox shouldnt cost more than 40$ these days.

[quote name='h8b1llg8ts']I proposed this question on PA to no avail so maybe you guys can help.

How can I protect the DLC I have already downloaded? These hard drives are almost 10 years old and I'm worried this stuff will be lost like the DLC I had for my Dreamcast ...[/QUOTE]

That's a really good question. Wish I knew. Found this after a quick Google search for "transfer Xbox data to PC":

http://www.ehow.com/how_2080168_connect-xbox-computer-transfer-data.html

The procedure sounds complicated, and as my Xbox crapped out a long time ago, I can't try it for myself. Might want to do a few more searches.
Good luck.

[quote name='z3razerviper']I am wondering about title updates as well will those no longer be available?[/QUOTE]From what I've heard, all online aspects of original Xbox games will no longer be active.

[quote name='Purkeynator']This thread is probably better off in the Xbox forums as opposed to "specific deals" forum.[/QUOTE]

I wonder, though, which forum reaches the most people quickly? Plus it seemed like a deal, more or less--a lot of this stuff is free, and will probably only be available temporarily.

[quote name='z3razerviper']I am wondering about title updates as well will those no longer be available?[/QUOTE]

ALL Live service associated with the original xbox will be offline. you will still be able to buy xbox originals from live on your 360, but those games will not have any LIVE compatibility anymore.

more info:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/05/xbox-v1-games-systems-no-longer-live-microsofts-pulling-the-p/

and (although less informational)
http://kotaku.com/5469763/halo-2-ma...=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+kotaku/full+(Kotaku)

[quote name='WuGgaRoO']how do i DL this? For some reason I am going into XBL and i cannot find the DLC... Do i need to have the HALO 2 game?[/QUOTE]

lol. im guessing you never had LIVE on the xbox.

[quote name='postulio']lol. im guessing you never had LIVE on the xbox.[/QUOTE]

I never owned an xbox (nintendo fan, so i stayed with the cube, you can insult me later)

at any rate, I would like to try out halo 2 multi soon, but I just wanna secure the DLC... so how would I access that from my 360? I looked through the market place, there is only halo 1

sorry to hear about the cube... i had one too lol. halfway through its lifespan i said fuck it and go the xbox.

but yeah, you need the game (at least thats how it worked on the original xbox). ive never d/l any xbox1 content via the 360 but since live functionality works for legacy xbox games, im assuming its the same as before.

the Halo stuff are just maps. which unless you have friends over a lot playing it, will be useless since they will be turning live off anyway. i recommend you try to get the Crimson Skies DLC, PGR2, Splinter Cell and KOTOR. those are all excellent single player games w/ great DLC.

So all of it but them 2 games is free? Sucks they can't just do clasic xbl and then have this as the normal xbl.

I've got a copy of Knights of the Old Republic that I haven't opened yet. So to get the DLC for this I run the game on my 360 and there is some way within the game to get the DLC? Or do I go to the 360 marketplace? Something else? I've never run any original Xbox games....

[quote name='crunchewy']I've got a copy of Knights of the Old Republic that I haven't opened yet. So to get the DLC for this I run the game on my 360 and there is some way within the game to get the DLC? Or do I go to the 360 marketplace? Something else? I've never run any original Xbox games....[/QUOTE]

The older Xbox Live system is set up differently. To obtain downloadable content, you need to load up each game individually rather than downloading from a one-stop marketplace. After you get to the main menu of KOTOR, go to "options"--I think. Either way, look for "Download Content" in the main menu, and select it. You'll probably get a message indicating that an Xbox Live update is available--download it, and the game will restart. Then return to the "Download Content" menu and get your Yavin station. The same steps seem to apply to other Xbox games with DLC.
Hope this helps...

[quote name='Marker']MechAssault 2 DLC is still $4.99.[/QUOTE]

So is the Star Wars: Battlefront 2 DLC. Guess changing the price structure is too much trouble at this point, but I hope that some poor sap doesn't purchase it thinking that they'll still be able to use it online in 6 months...

I ran into an interesting problem--I wound up having to re-download a lot of my original Xbox DLC because it had been "corrupted." I had transferred the DLC to a 120 gig about a year or so ago--could that have been the cause? Or perhaps clearing the 360's cache? I have heard that the latter is a possible culprit, but can't seem to find a lot of information on the subject. Anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

[quote name='Marker']MechAssault 2 DLC is still $4.99.[/QUOTE]

So is the Star Wars: Battlefront 2 DLC. Guess changing the price structure is too much trouble at this point, but I hope that some poor sap doesn't purchase it thinking that they'll still be able to use it online in 6 months...

I had to update my console when I went to download KOTOR dlc. It didn't show any sort of price when I downloaded it so lets hope it didn't take any of my points.

[quote name='Izod517']The PGR2 DLC still costs money. Weird I know, but it's like the only DLC that costs.[/QUOTE]

Weird, considering the makers of that game aren't even part of Microsoft anymore.

Got my Halo 2 DLC, so I'm happy.

[quote name='WTFer']Weird, considering the makers of that game aren't even part of Microsoft anymore.[/QUOTE]

Why, because they don't like money anymore?

:)

I got a bunch of xbox games and i wanted to know if i need to download some dlc for them. so is their a list of all the games with free dlc?

if microsoft/bungie put up a AI bot download for halo 2 I'd be all set. since playing by myself wouldn't be all that fun

[quote name='youngavatar']I got a bunch of xbox games and i wanted to know if i need to download some dlc for them. so is their a list of all the games with free dlc?[/QUOTE]

I went through my collection and these are the games I found had DLC for free:

Armed & Dangerous
Battlefield 2
Brothers In Arms Earned in Blood
Brothers In Arms Road to Hill 30
Brute Force
Conflict Desert Storm 2
Counter Strike
ESPN 2K5
Halo 2
Hunter the Reckoning Redeemer
Incredibles
Ninja Gaiden
Project Snowblind
Star Wars KOTOR
Star Wars Republic Commando
TC Ghost Recon 2
TC Ghost Recon Island Thunder
TC Ghost Recon Summit Strike
TC Rainbow Six 3
TC Rainbow Six 3 Black Arrow (2 map packs are still 4.99 each as well)

Karaoke Revolution (6 song packs 4.99 each)

There's more out there from what I've seen in other threads.

[quote name='Purkeynator']This thread is probably better off in the Xbox forums as opposed to "specific deals" forum.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps but I'm glad it was posted here. I would not have seen it otherwise. :lol:

bread's done
Back