Cheapest Fix For A Broken Power Button On Original Xbox

Lost Loser

CAGiversary!
I went to play a game on my original Xbox and found it is not working properly. When I first turned it on the Open/Close button wouldn't work as a Close button, so I pushed the disc tray shut and then found that the Power button no longer works (the the Open/Close seems to be working perfectly fine now). At the moment the only means I have of turning it on or off is to unplug it. I did some Google searches and found this a fairly common problem, but I don't know what my cheapest option for fixing it would be.

I could buy a replacement switch circuit board, like this, but that's $20 on that site and I can probably get a whole Xbox for that money. On eBay I found what appears to be the same thing for $6, but I've never done console surgery before I decided I needed a second opinion on these sorts of things. The guide to replace the circuit board that I read also said I would need to get some very small screwdrivers, so that's got to be added into the cost of that option.

Another option is that I just buy another Xbox and a memory card and transfer my saves over to the new console. So for this option I would need to find the cheapest possible option for buying an Xbox console (wouldn't need any controllers or cords, I've got those) and the cheapest option for a memory card. I'm also not 100% sure if every game transfers to the memory card.

So, I guess I'm just looking for some insight here. Which option would you suggest I go with? If you've ever repaired your own consoles before, how hard was it the first time you tried it? What prices should I be expecting to pay for either path? Is there some third option I haven't thought of that is easier or cheaper than the two I listed?

I hear your pain - I'd suggest get that used xbox for as low as you can (it must be the same version as yours) because sooner or later the dvd drive will also fail as well as the power supply. If you cant do the console surgery have somebody that could do it and pay attention to what that person does. You might as well mod it while you're at it. I still use mine as a media player via XBMC and an multi-emu player. Peace.

bread's done
Back