Steam: Pre-Purchase W40k DoW2 - Chaos Rising ($30) & get Saints Row 2 free

DukeEdwardI

CAGiversary!
Feedback
59 (100%)
header.jpg

Link

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War 2 - Chaos Rising on Steam

You can gift the copy of Saints Row 2 if you already own it.

Word of warning, Saints Row 2 has to be the worst console to PC port I've ever played. I got it for $10 on clearance at Target and still feel ripped off.

what was so wrong with the port? i didnt find it to run amazing but i never had any real issues with it, am i just lucky?

It just does not run properly on my ATI 3870 - even with the lowest detail settings. (I know it's not the latest card, but I can run Crysis at 1920x1200 with medium quality on that).

It ran fine for me. Noticed no problems at all.

[quote name='HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ']Did the port have game breaking glitches or something to that effect? I mean I only played SR2 on the 360 and I found it more entertaining then GTAIV.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. It was what I wanted from GTAIV, I don't want drama, I want fun. Much better port as well, for me at least.

Before they patched the game, it was hella buggy. After the first patch came out though I haven't seen any problems with it on PC.

Heh, I guess they are going to hold off on putting the Gold Edition up while they try and get you to buy this plus DOWII separately.

It was just super choppy. I had all the details at medium or low and the framerate would jump all over the place. It was very distracting and I just barely got more than 5 hours in.

Perhaps I'll give it another shot though. Maybe it's not as bad as I remember it.

I played SR2 on the 360 and its one of my all time favorite games. My friend got it for the PC and it was about the quality of the Mercenaries 2 port (i.e. terrible). For him, it was playable on foot, but when in vehicles the city wouldn't render fast enough and it would just be flat gray terrain.

I have a PC that's more than adequate (Core2Duo @ 3.3GHz, 4GB's DDR3, nVidia 260GTX, Vista64), and Saints Row 2 still doesn't run smoothly when compared to other games. I can't say it's full of glitches, but the engine definitely isn't optimized, so it requires an extra beefy rig even though the graphics are average at best.

IMHO, don't bite on this game because of the Saints Row hook; bite on this game because DoW2 is a terrific RTS that every PC owner should have. Heck, I've only played campaign mode and I justified my $40.

[quote name='AwRy108']
IMHO, don't bite on this game because of the Saints Row hook; bite on this game because DoW2 is a terrific RTS that every PC owner should have. Heck, I've only played campaign mode and I justified my $40.[/QUOTE]

I like your assessment on just the single player part of DoW2. I got it with the THQ pack last year, and I've been meaning to play the DoW games. You just bumped it up a notch in my priority list.

Definitely going to pick up Chaos Rising. I've put almost 120 hours into DOW2 and I am ready for more (especially Last Stand).

I haven't run into glitches but the framerate is just poor (especially when driving; which is a big part of these sandbox games). I'm not even one of those people who need 60FPS to play a PC game (I get about 25-30 in Crysis and have no issue playing it) but it's just bad in SR2.
Perhaps if you have a quadcore (I have a mid-range dual core) on top of a fairly decent video card, you may better results than I did.

Unfortunate since SR2 is a fantastic game on the PS3 and 360.

Hm, I was thinking about getting the game anyway, but I might go Amazon since I already have SR2 on console.

Yes it is, it mentions playing Chaos in multi-player versus "Chaos Rising and Dawn of War II owners."

I wanted to like Dawn of War II - I enjoyed the first game and Company of Heroes, but the user interface and graphics are so annoying. When you need to look at the "squad symbol" that floats above a squad to tell what squad is what in the midst of battle, you're doing something wrong. I never felt this was a problem in Company of Heroes, but dang, I just hate Dawn of War II's user interface (why can't you use the squad icons in the upper right hand side to select a squad to heal? And the symbols are stupidly tiny) and the graphics. I played the multiplayer beta for a couple of weeks and cancelled my pre-order.

[quote name='palejackal']I wanted to like Dawn of War II - I enjoyed the first game and Company of Heroes, but the user interface and graphics are so annoying. When you need to look at the "squad symbol" that floats above a squad to tell what squad is what in the midst of battle, you're doing something wrong. And the symbols are stupidly tiny) and the graphics. I played the multiplayer beta for a couple of weeks and cancelled my pre-order.[/QUOTE]

That's too bad, since a lot has changed since beta. Relic refers to the icons above the squads as decorators, which they have since revamped with version 1.3 for MP. Here's a summary pic:
decorator_map.jpg

bread's done
Back