Computer nerds get in here. Need help reading specs because I don't speak computer.

Sofa King Kool

CAGiversary!
Feedback
18 (100%)
I've been looking at a few laptops and I need help gauging their performance. Basically, I'm looking to be able to run most/all high end games without any problems. These are the models I'm considering so far:

One
Two

This is the laptop I currently own. It's been able to run a lot of games at pretty ok settings, but I'd like more performance.

Any other suggestions are welcome, but try to stick to ASUS with Windows 7 installed. I know they have an older (REALLY ugly) gaming laptop that I'd consider if the price was right. A friend of mine has that model and he has yet to find a game he hasn't been able to run at full settings. All I know is that it's a 50 - G something model. If anybody has any idea what I'm talking about, link? I don't know why I haven't been able to find it.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Some of you may remember me making a "new laptop" thread less than a year ago. Regrettably, due to some apparent hardware problems and some ignorant tampering on my part, it's already time for another one. I blue screen frequently; like multiple times a week, and I stupidly voided the warranty to fix a tiny little keyboard jam and created an even bigger problem in the process. I accidentally loosened one of the soldering points that connects the screen to the motherboard, so now my screen artifacts like mad about every five minutes. On top of all that, my audio drivers will NOT work. My drivers are up to date yet I still get constant audio popping and static. I've contacted both Realtek and ASUS and neither of them knew what was wrong.

I really don't have the time to send this computer away to get the screen fixed because I need it for school, and even if I did send it away, I'd still have the blue screen problem, which is not exactly helpful when I'm typing a paper. I'm also not too keen on the idea of putting any more money into a computer that was overpriced to begin with, can't be entirely fixed, and isn't giving me the performance I want anyway. I'd much rather just bite the bullet on this one and spend the money on a new laptop for the peace of mind.

On that note, does anyone know where I can try to make a small profit on a busted laptop? Somewhere that isn't eBay?

Last edited by a moderator:
Your first choice is slightly better than your second one, and both are better than your current one. (I'm fairly certain, although I'm not as up to speed on my mobile graphics cards as I used to be.)

First one has a bigger screen, faster processor, higher resolution and more RAM.

Second one has a slightly slower processor, 2GB less RAM and smaller screen (which also equates to slightly better portability, if that's a factor.)

Both will suit you pretty well, but if you want crazy performance in gaming, you'll probably have to shell out $1500 or more, I'd guess.

Edit: Side note, you might get slightly better gaming performance out of the second one. Due to the lower resolution screen, you'd be able to turn up graphics settings since it's running at a lower resolution..

I'd definitely go for the first one, the G72. My notebook (G51) is similar to the G60 except it has a 2.0GHz processor than the 2.13. It's quite nice and I got it because I wanted something more portable and it costed $999.99 at the time. For that price the G72 is a killer deal (bought it for my sister and I think it was almost $200 more when it came out, could've been less but can't quite remember).

The CPU is significantly faster, it's got a bigger and higher resolution screen, 6GB RAM vs. 4GB, 4 superior quality speakers (vs. 2 inferior quiteer ones), and it's got more room inside so there's better airflow and should run cooler than the G51/G60. Since the CPU is faster, you can overclock it to even higher speeds but for most games I think it's perfect at stock. Well worth it for only $100 more than the other model.

One thing I just noticed is that the first one only has a 5400 rpm drive vs. a 7200 on the second one. If you're going to be doing any HDD-intensive stuff, you'll notice the difference (loading times in games, etc.).

First one is starting to sound pretty good.

I don't really need crazy gaming performance (trying to keep this around $1000), but I'd like to be able to play games like Dragon Age and other new releases without compromising any settings. The computer my friend bought around the same time I got mine (and for $100 bucks cheaper) can play just about everything (excluding games with retarded demands like Crysis), so I'd assume that these newer models would be better, or at least on par.

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']Almost forgot, I was looking at this one as well: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220639

It's a little pricey and I'm seeing a lot of hate for the keyboard in the reviews, but you can't really argue with 51 five star reviews.[/QUOTE]This computer is currently unavailable from newegg. From the two options at Best Buy, I would go with the $999 model, as the processor is better and it has more RAM. It'll be heavier, though. So keep that in mind if you're going to be dragging it around campus or something.

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']This computer is currently unavailable from newegg. From the two options at Best Buy, I would go with the $999 model, as the processor is better and it has more RAM. It'll be heavier, though. So keep that in mind if you're going to be dragging it around campus or something.[/QUOTE]

Noted. Weight isn't really a big deal, though. I'd rather have a heavy laptop that performs than a light one that doesn't.

Unless you buying a cheap laptop just to surf the net and watch youtube videos the first rule of buying a laptop is, figure what you need exactly and they upgrade it a little more. With laptops your basically buying a snapshot in time. About all you can do is add a little more ram, put a bigger hard drive in and thats about it with a laptop so you have to remember that when you buy one, especially if you want to play games on it. Spending a little more now on a laptop will make you happier in the long run. Couple hundred now will give you another year before you start wanting to rebuy a new one for thousands.

[quote name='farfus']Ive been looking for a laptop for a while, also, and just found this, which has been out about a month and for the same price, curious what you guys think:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00352LQZS[/QUOTE]
Don't threadjack dude, just make a new thread. But since we're here...

The only problem with that pick is that programs that don't utilize multiple processors might have problems with the 1.6ghz processor. Aside from that, that is a pretty sweet laptop.

Thx H, didnt mean to thread jack, just not as serious as some are about getting one, plus it kinda fit with what he was looking for, just kinda killing two birds with one stone so to speak... This laptop is getting excellent reviews (first saw it on newegg), and with amazon you cant beat their no cost ship/no tax/better price! :bouncy:

Definitely the first choice. Only thing you might consider is replacing the HDD down the line (I personally like my hard drives a little faster than 5400rpm. 7200rpm is my minimum requirement. Faster loading times, but that's me.).

[quote name='gargus']Unless you buying a cheap laptop just to surf the net and watch youtube videos the first rule of buying a laptop is, figure what you need exactly and they upgrade it a little more. With laptops your basically buying a snapshot in time. About all you can do is add a little more ram, put a bigger hard drive in and thats about it with a laptop so you have to remember that when you buy one, especially if you want to play games on it. Spending a little more now on a laptop will make you happier in the long run. Couple hundred now will give you another year before you start wanting to rebuy a new one for thousands.[/QUOTE]

This. I ran into this problem once when I had my laptop. It definitely sucked because I wanted more power but couldn't do a damn thing about it. It's better to spend a couple hundred more now to guarantee you'll be happy with the performance for longer than a year.

But you should be able to run a lot of current games really well. You won't be able to completely max EVERYTHING (AA, AF, HDR, etc.), but you should get some good framerates on medium-high settings (unless the game is an unoptimized POS).

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']Noted. Weight isn't really a big deal, though. I'd rather have a heavy laptop that performs than a light one that doesn't.[/QUOTE]
why not get a pc then?

I used to feel that way ck, but then I saw how my 4 roommates all use their laptops... they rarely take them out of the apartment but move them all over the apartment (bedroom desk, dining room table, living room coffee table)... they'd feel too tied down by a desktop, I think

Although, no coincidence, they all have lots of trouble with battery life (dead battery within minutes of being unplugged)

I had the G60 (the second one). The one thing holding it back, performance-wise, is the CPU. I'd recommend you pay the extra $100... no point in having a laptop if it doesn't play anything well.

It will be big, and the battery life won't be great, but if that doesn't matter much, I'd say go for it.

[quote name='crystalklear64']why not get a pc then?[/QUOTE]

Well, I do still want portability. I don't like having to always go home to get access to everything on my computer. I need to be able to take it places.

[quote name='docvinh']Are you talking about this asus?

http://promos.asus.com/US/eblast/G50Vt_NVIDIA/index.html

It's the one I have, and it runs pretty well. I've seen some places where it's 630 bucks, refurb obviously, but it's not too bad for the price.[/QUOTE]

That's not the one I was referring to, but I am considering that one as well.

Just to clarify: Are those of you saying "spend a little extra money now and be happy later" referring to buying the first laptop I posted over the second one? Or did you mean spend a few hundred more to get one better than the first laptop?

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']Just to clarify: Are those of you saying "spend a little extra money now and be happy later" referring to buying the first laptop I posted over the second one? Or did you mean spend a few hundred more to get one better than the first laptop?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was referring to the first one.

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']Well, I do still want portability. I don't like having to always go home to get access to everything on my computer. I need to be able to take it places.

That's not the one I was referring to, but I am considering that one as well.

Just to clarify: Are those of you saying "spend a little extra money now and be happy later" referring to buying the first laptop I posted over the second one? Or did you mean spend a few hundred more to get one better than the first laptop?[/QUOTE]

buy a gaming desktop for gaming, buy a regular laptop for portability.

Finally found that elusive computer my friend bought; the Asus G50VT-X5. It's ugly as sin, but like I said, he's yet to find a game he can't run at full settings.

Now I'm just curious as to how a laptop my friend bought half a year ago for $900 dollars would be out-performing a $1000 dollar computer purchased now (according to the consensus of it being able to play games at "ok - good" settings' I've seen so far). Or am I wrong?

When it comes to gaming your Memory and Graphic card will have the biggest impact. The more the better. Keep in mind though a 32bit system uses 4gb max. You can upgrade a 64bit even further. Has you friend ever upgraded his memory?

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']Finally found that elusive computer my friend bought; the Asus G50VT-X5. It's ugly as sin, but like I said, he's yet to find a game he can't run at full settings.

Now I'm just curious as to how a laptop my friend bought half a year ago for $900 dollars would be out-performing a $1000 dollar computer purchased now (according to the consensus of it being able to play games at "ok - good" settings' I've seen so far). Or am I wrong?[/QUOTE]

I can easily find a $1500 laptop that cannot run games as well as your friend's $900 laptop. Price means nothing without looking at specs. His $900 laptop has a very capable video card, the 9800M GS. Check out this site's ranking and you can see it's a class 1 laptop video card. The chart is organized from the best all the way down to the crapper at the bottom of the list. Get a laptop with class 1 video card and you'll have a very capable gaming machine.

I have the first choice in your list, the G72GX. I just got it from bestbuy. Awesome laptop btw. The cpu and gpu can be overclocked by software. The dual core in my computer is overclocked to around 2.9GHz.

I can run Mass Effect 2 with all of the settings set to high. I would not call this laptop portable. Its very big at 17.3 inches. Its very glossy so expect to get a laptop sleeve so that it doesnt get scratched up when you transport it. It also runs very hot so dont expect to have it on your lap. You will need to get a laptop cooler for it. Especially if you overclock it.

If you get it from bestbuy get the extended warrany, so if you drop it or damage it you can return it. Asus also includes a windows 7 disk. Which is very rare these days. So you can reinstall windows without all of the bloatware.

Overall I love it. It has a large screen, lighted keyboard, and can play anything I throw at it.

[quote name='SOSTrooper']I can easily find a $1500 laptop that cannot run games as well as your friend's $900 laptop. Price means nothing without looking at specs. His $900 laptop has a very capable video card, the 9800M GS. Check out this site's ranking and you can see it's a class 1 laptop video card. The chart is organized from the best all the way down to the crapper at the bottom of the list. Get a laptop with class 1 video card and you'll have a very capable gaming machine.[/QUOTE]

According to that site the first one I posted is #4. Not bad.

[quote name='LiveCrazy_Joe']I would not call this laptop portable. Its very big at 17.3 inches. Its very glossy so expect to get a laptop sleeve so that it doesnt get scratched up when you transport it. It also runs very hot so dont expect to have it on your lap. You will need to get a laptop cooler for it. Especially if you overclock it.

If you get it from bestbuy get the extended warrany, so if you drop it or damage it you can return it. Asus also includes a windows 7 disk. Which is very rare these days. So you can reinstall windows without all of the bloatware.

Overall I love it. It has a large screen, lighted keyboard, and can play anything I throw at it.[/QUOTE]

How non-portable would you say it is, because I do plan on taking it around campus/to friend's houses. Also, how hot are we talking? Like "mildly uncomfortable" hot or "holy shit get this thing off me" hot?

Either way, I'm definitely starting to like the sound of this laptop (especially the fact that it comes with a Windows 7 disk so I can get rid of all the bloatware. I HATE bloatware). Though the last time I wiped my HDD to install Windows 7 I lost all my hotkey functions and I have no idea how to fix it.

Really the only thing holding me back at this point is not knowing what to do with my current laptop...

As far as portability youll need a laptop backpack or briefcase. This is what Im going to get. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...t_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

Be sure to get a neoprene sleeve. This laptop is pretty big. Also the power brick is almost as big as the xbox 360s. Youll need something to transport everything.

If your browsing the web or running M$ Word it doesnt get hot. But if your playing a game it will heat up. Im going to get one of these. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...t_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

Sell your old laptop for parts on Ebay or Craigslist.

Personally I can't stand laptops for gaming. The keyboards are always unbearable. Here's an option I'm just throwing out to you. Why not build a gaming pc for about $700 and just buy a netbook for $200. You could always use an app like Dropbox to sync any important files across all your computers and just use something like Logmein to take remote control of your PC when you're not home. Just thought I'd throw that out there as an option as well.

[quote name='dragonsho']Personally I can't stand laptops for gaming. The keyboards are always unbearable. Here's an option I'm just throwing out to you. Why not build a gaming pc for about $700 and just buy a netbook for $200. You could always use an app like Dropbox to sync any important files across all your computers and just use something like Logmein to take remote control of your PC when you're not home. Just thought I'd throw that out there as an option as well.[/QUOTE]

That's exactly how I run it. The only games I have on my Netbook are gamepad games. You can even get a very powerful desktop for less than $700 if you use coupons and programs. Requires a bit of time and research but once you do it 1x it's a wrap from there on out.

[quote name='dragonsho']Personally I can't stand laptops for gaming. The keyboards are always unbearable. Here's an option I'm just throwing out to you. Why not build a gaming pc for about $700 and just buy a netbook for $200. You could always use an app like Dropbox to sync any important files across all your computers and just use something like Logmein to take remote control of your PC when you're not home. Just thought I'd throw that out there as an option as well.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've considered the desktop/laptop combo but I do a good portion of my PC gaming at friend's houses so I don't think it would really work out.

bread's done
Back