Midway games removed from XBLA, you can't get them at Amazon either

mrosnwo

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
With the bankruptcy and name change and all that, all Midway games have been removed from XBLA. They still seem to be available on PSN. The list of removed games is as follows:

Cyberball 2072
Defender
Gauntlet
Joust
Paperboy
Robotron 2084
Root Beer Tapper
Smash TV
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3

Most of these games are still available on Amazon, they're now basically impossible to buy.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='stonciddta']Could it be that they are adding to the new XBox Arcade in March?[/QUOTE]

You won't be getting MK since they have to be E rated games

I'm thinking this is merely temporary while they hammer out the details with whoever owns the IP now. The IP is too valuable for any company to just let it not be available.

[quote name='yukafls']Are the games worth anything? I have 2 joust codes and a mortal kombat 3 i have been tryin to trade forever.[/QUOTE]

The codes won't do anything if the games aren't available anymore. Except for UMK3, all the other games are available on the fantastic PS2 / X-Box compilation Midway Arcade Classics, so this is no big loss. I still say that beating the entire game, or even any of the levels, without continuing, on Smash TV, is the most impossible achievement points on the X-Box.

[quote name='spmahn']The codes won't do anything if the games aren't available anymore. Except for UMK3, all the other games are available on the fantastic PS2 / X-Box compilation Midway Arcade Classics, so this is no big loss[/QUOTE]

unfortunately that game isn't backwards compatible....

The problem could be if the IPs end up in the hands of multiple companys, and whether or not they want to pay the fees to MS to distribute them. This kind of thing happens in other cases as well, for example, all the DL content for both Marvel UA 1 and 2 are no longer available because Activision doesn't have the rights to distribute them anymore. It could be viewed on a case by case basis in the future.

Might want to hold off buying from Amazon. You might not be able to get to your games later. When Double Dragon was delisted, people had problems getting the full version of their game up and running when reinstalling the game whether due to transferring to another HDD or something else. Ain't digital distribution great.

Lost Cities was also delisted from XBLA after Sierra Online closed. In theory Activision should have the rights but the game isnt on live any more

Warner Bros. bought Midway right? They own DC too right? I'm pretty sure MK is a top priority IP and they're going to eventually whore it out.

[quote name='yukafls']Are the games worth anything? I have 2 joust codes and a mortal kombat 3 i have been tryin to trade forever.[/QUOTE]
il take it off your hands if it works

EDIT: wait, nvm. Ive already inquired with you a few times lol

Has anyone checked Mortal Kombat 2 on the PSN? I would say that is better than most of these games and it also has online play (which not all of these have, stupid Cyberball.)

Edit: Just checked PSN and MK II is still on there. It's also been in their top 20 downloads consistently since it came out.

[quote name='phantomfriar2002']unfortunately that game isn't backwards compatible....[/QUOTE]

It is on the Wii if you have the GameCube version.

That kinda sucks, cause when they eliminate these games from XBLA, even downloading them you only have 1 copy. If anything happens to your hard drive, or you want to delete them, you'd be SOL..thats just kinda sucky.

If you already have the games, you can still download them again from your purchase history.

No need to worry.

Worry in 10 years.

I wouldnt advise anyone to buy Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 on amazon. While it is still up, i made the mistake of purchasing it. When redeeming, it says "There is a problem with the offer associated with this code." and doesn't let me redeem. guess that 5 went in the garbage.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']I'm thinking this is merely temporary while they hammer out the details with whoever owns the IP now. The IP is too valuable for any company to just let it not be available.[/QUOTE]

I dunno. Between Double Dragon XBLA (which had the same issue since what, August? And It's still not up.) and Activision Marvel DLC something tells me It's going to be awhile. Though Ultimate Mortal Kombat was the only one I had any interest in, and even then most of these could have been had on Midway Arcade classics for dirt cheap just no achievements or online.

You'd think MS would have learned their lesson with the crap with codes not transferring between busted consoles without major manual intervention on their part. These companies better get their shit straight on this DLC stuff. Well, who am I kidding, not enough people are going to notice the "expiration" of DLC for them to worry about it.

If you activate the content while it is valid, you should always be able to download/re-activate it, period.

[quote name='phantomfriar2002']unfortunately that game isn't backwards compatible....[/QUOTE]
If you have the room, simply pick up a used console. I see them on craigslist for $50 or less all the time.

So first Original Xbox DLC and now the Midway properties. Digital content may the way of the future, but I'll stick to buying everything I can on disc. I'm just glad that I don't have a lot invested in Midway games. I only bought Smash TV. I used free codes for both Joust and Robotron.

I'd kinda like joust, but I have the others I would want.

UMK3/SmashTV/Robotron

I'm sure someone will get on this. UMK3 was one of the best selling XBLA games since it's come out. Same way with MK2 on PSN. There's money to be made there, someone will find a way.

Is there DLC for any Midway releases that we should be concerned with? This pisses me off. I should just stay away from XBL on principle.

I'm wondering what happens if you have the demo downloaded to your hard drive and you try to make the purchase. Most likely, you'll be given the middle finger in an error message and you won't be able to make the purchase.

Guess I'll try it this evening and see what happens.

[quote name='shrike4242']I'm wondering what happens if you have the demo downloaded to your hard drive and you try to make the purchase. Most likely, you'll be given the middle finger in an error message and you won't be able to make the purchase.

Guess I'll try it this evening and see what happens.[/QUOTE]

If it's like the Lost Cities demo on my Xbox, you'll get an error. Stupid thing is you'll be able to delete and redownload the demo ad nauseum. I really wish since most of the demos are full versions that just need unlocks that the transaction would just go through. I wrote activision customer support a year ago about Lost Cities and they said Microsoft was the de-lister, and when I wrote MS they said activision did it. While it's regarding some pretty small time games, it sure doesn't bode well when the companies involved can't keep their stories straight.

I wonder what happens if you get game recommendations. I've never gotten anyone to send me a game recommendation on XBLA before, I wonder if that would allow you to download something. Anybody have Lost Cities?

Don't waste your time trying to buy these through Amazon. I just bought UMK3 and tried to redeem it and got this error on xbox.com. "There is a problem with the offer associated with this code."

Mods or OP should add a warning to the first post. Maybe the other games will work, but I doubt it. Now I have to try and get my money back through amazon, or MS to push it through. :whistle2:/

[quote name='Vectorman0']Don't waste your time trying to buy these through Amazon. I just bought UMK3 and tried to redeem it and got this error on xbox.com. "There is a problem with the offer associated with this code."

Mods or OP should add a warning to the first post. Maybe the other games will work, but I doubt it. Now I have to try and get my money back through amazon, or MS to push it through. :whistle2:/[/QUOTE]I changed the OP title about the issues with getting the games from Amazon.

If you bought from Amazon and can't redeem--- CONTACT THEM. They'll refund your money. When they listed LOST CITIES on Amazon even though it was delisted, several CAGs bought the game then--- only to have the same issue (I can confirm the error on the demo as well as I had it DL'd).

Amazon refunded money then as well.

[quote name='mr_bungle']So if you already have these games, they'll stay in your game library, correct?[/QUOTE]

Yes, they are yours and they can't take them away...just don't delete from your HD or you might run into problems.

Buyer beware, my Robotron 2084 code does not work and gives the following message: "There is a problem with the offer associated with this code."

[quote name='turls']You'd think MS would have learned their lesson with the crap with codes not transferring between busted consoles without major manual intervention on their part. These companies better get their shit straight on this DLC stuff. Well, who am I kidding, not enough people are going to notice the "expiration" of DLC for them to worry about it.

If you activate the content while it is valid, you should always be able to download/re-activate it, period.[/QUOTE]

This is exactly my concern about DLC and downloadable games as a whole. Sure, we'd like to hope they'll still be available when we want them, but will they? How long will any of this content remain available once the next console generation appears? It used to be that if you bought a game, you bought it for life -- I can (and do) still dig out my Atari 2600 or my Super Nintendo and play any of the games that I bought on those consoles. With games now, though -- in even ten years, if it was a downloadable game, forget it; if it was a DLC add-on, forget it.

And even worse, with the advent of consoles with hard drives and internet connections, game developers have become more and more prone to releasing buggy games and relying on patching them, simply because they can. How often do you get a brand new release, only to find that the first thing that you have to do before you can even play it is download an "update" fixing something that the developer didn't get around to before the discs were pressed? Guess what -- in ten years, when you want to pull out that game and run it on your emulator (or your backward-compatible PS4/XBox 720/whatever) because your console has long since died, you'll be running that unpatched, buggy copy, because the patch won't be available to you anymore.

I'm not saying that we should all refuse to buy any downloadable content whatsoever or anything like that, but recent events like this, Activision pulling the MUA DLC because of licensing, and the removal of original XBox content from Live should serve as a wake-up call. We, as consumers, need to start holding the industry accountable for what they're selling to us, and demand a guarantee that the content that we purchase will be available to us for as long as we still want it, in whatever form it takes to make it happen. Otherwise, this hobby that we invest so much of our time and money in becomes a disposable one.

[quote name='arcane93']This is exactly my concern about DLC and downloadable games as a whole. Sure, we'd like to hope they'll still be available when we want them, but will they? How long will any of this content remain available once the next console generation appears? It used to be that if you bought a game, you bought it for life -- I can (and do) still dig out my Atari 2600 or my Super Nintendo and play any of the games that I bought on those consoles. With games now, though -- in even ten years, if it was a downloadable game, forget it; if it was a DLC add-on, forget it.

And even worse, with the advent of consoles with hard drives and internet connections, game developers have become more and more prone to releasing buggy games and relying on patching them, simply because they can. How often do you get a brand new release, only to find that the first thing that you have to do before you can even play it is download an "update" fixing something that the developer didn't get around to before the discs were pressed? Guess what -- in ten years, when you want to pull out that game and run it on your emulator (or your backward-compatible PS4/XBox 720/whatever) because your console has long since died, you'll be running that unpatched, buggy copy, because the patch won't be available to you anymore.

I'm not saying that we should all refuse to buy any downloadable content whatsoever or anything like that, but recent events like this, Activision pulling the MUA DLC because of licensing, and the removal of original XBox content from Live should serve as a wake-up call. We, as consumers, need to start holding the industry accountable for what they're selling to us, and demand a guarantee that the content that we purchase will be available to us for as long as we still want it, in whatever form it takes to make it happen. Otherwise, this hobby that we invest so much of our time and money in becomes a disposable one.[/QUOTE]

*starts slow clap*
:applause:

What about if you have to reregister and download already purchased ones on a new x360? Anyone try that?

Man, I can't wait for all games to be digital download so I can deal with this kind of crap all the time.

I've got a pile of Robotron codes from 12-month bundles I picked up a while ago... PM me with offers if you're looking to snag it before it's too late.

[quote name='zenintrude']I've got a pile of Robotron codes from 12-month bundles I picked up a while ago... PM me with offers if you're looking to snag it before it's too late.[/QUOTE]

It's already too late, they don't work anymore. I have confirmed this myself.

[quote name='mrosnwo']With the bankruptcy and name change and all that, all Midway games have been removed from XBLA. They still seem to be available on PSN. The list of removed games is as follows:

Cyberball 2072
Defender
Gauntlet
Joust
Paperboy
Robotron 2084
Root Beer Tapper
Smash TV
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3

Most of these games are still available on Amazon, and even though they're not on sale, they're now basically impossible to buy, so get them while you still can if you were ever on the fence.[/QUOTE]

This post makes no sense, "they are still available" "theyre now basically impossible to buy", like wtf, if they are unavailable just edit the whole post.

[quote name='MrNEWZ']If you bought from Amazon and can't redeem--- CONTACT THEM. They'll refund your money. When they listed LOST CITIES on Amazon even though it was delisted, several CAGs bought the game then--- only to have the same issue (I can confirm the error on the demo as well as I had it DL'd).

Amazon refunded money then as well.[/QUOTE]

They just replied to my inquiry and refused a refund because "I viewed the code." As if there was any way to have not viewed the code...

I sent a stern reply, I wonder how they will respond.

Games taken off XBLA? That sets a scary precedent for someone like me who doesn't have a 360 yet but has XBLA games in mind to buy on Day 1 of getting one. Thank god I'm not interested in any of these games. But if something like the Prince of Persia remake were to disappear... sad face.

[quote name='nexen']What about if you have to reregister and download already purchased ones on a new x360? Anyone try that?

Man, I can't wait for all games to be digital download so I can deal with this kind of crap all the time.[/QUOTE]

I'm wondering that same thing...

And why the hey doesn't whoever holds the rights want them up there? Free money and all? :roll:

bread's done
Back