CAGcast #188: When Vaginas & Demons Attack!

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Yay a new CAGcast. Can't wait to listen. And now that I have listened, I'll comment.

Great show. Quality wasn't bad. I'm only 19 yet I caught the Memorex thing. The whole DS vs iPhone thing really bothered me. Mainly because you compare the two like the iPhone is made for gaming, when it's not. And I like how Cheapy pretty much answered the "What does a DS successor need to have?" with pretty much "the same things the DS already has".

I would rather take some light clicking over the steaming pile that was the last CAGcast.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now I have something new to listen to before I fall asleep. Thanks, guys.

I'm really curious about what you guys have to say about Heavy Rain, since it's being hyped so hard lately.

skipping a week of cagcast is like skipping a week of coke with my heroine addiction.

Great show guys, audio quality wasn't that bad. That live show was awful.

Wow, couldn't even get the quality right with the recorded show.

Great show though.

Good show. The quality is fine, the only problem is that Wombat sounds like he's logging everything with a typewriter. It's definitly not as bad the live show from last week.

Why would Microsoft release Gears of War 3 the same year they're releasing a Halo game from Bungie? That doesn't make much sense to me.

On Dead Rising 2, I heard somewhere that it's the same old save system like the original had.

I agree with Wombat on the kitchen cabinets. Cheapy, you got taken for a ride on that deal. No fucking way I'd be paying $1000 for some cabinets after there's been an agreement that the apartment company would switch them out for free.

My child's daycare would certainly be hearing from me if they had a demon-man come in and scare the shit out of the kids. The best thing to do for your kids if they have nightmares when they're young is to not take them out of the bed and cuddle them, but simply reach into the crib or sit next to them on the bed, rub their back and just reassure them that there are no monsters. They'll go back to sleep quicker that way.

I'm a bit disappointed that the Data East collection is only available for the Wii. I spent so many quarters on "Heavy Barrel" back in the day.

The audio quality of this show is not so bad. It just sounds like Wombat is fapping it in the background.

The live show audio was absolutely terrible. The audio problem this week was nothing. Cheapy commented that others didn't like the people that call in. I feel the people that call in seem to be half brain dead. Stern would hang up on these guys in about 5 seconds. You should do the same Cheapy. :) They just don't get to the point.

Great show otherwise!!! CAGcast is one of those podcasts I listen to as soon as I see it waiting for me in iTunes.

The main new release is Aliens vs Predator?!?!?!
Huh?

Did someone not get a free copy of Bioshock 2 so they are boycotting it?

[quote name='Zimmy']The main new release is Aliens vs Predator?!?!?!
Huh?

Did someone not get a free copy of Bioshock 2 so they are boycotting it?[/QUOTE]

No, BioShock 2 was released last week. I got a copy in for review this week. I'm sure it will be discussed next episode.

Just poking a stick at ya ;)
Still, if this CagCast was recorded anytime in the last week, I find it strange Bioshock 2 wasn't even mentioned (not finished listening to the entire cast).
If you check all the major gaming sites in the last week, I think you will see Bioshock 2 over any of the games that were mentioned.

I don't follow the logic behind live shows being better for doing interviews. Wouldn't that be more restrictive since you have to conduct the interview at a certain time since it's live versus a recorded Skype conversation that can be done anytime during the week?

P.S. Wombat needs to take some Rad-X!

Never saw the draw with live shows.
I don't mind them too much but what is the point?
And if you continue them, please screen calls in advance, or better yet, have them submit a question, then you arrange who can get through.
Nothing kills the flow of a show more then hearing some stoner stumble over a stupid question for 5 minutes.

Well done. I didn't think Wombat's audio was too horrible; it didn't really bother me.

The "Wish List" in general is a lame name; seems like an 8-year-old kid making a birthday list. Although I guess I don't have a good alternative. Possibilities:

On Tap List
Most Wanted
In The Chamber
On Deck
Up Next List (or Next Up)
Coming Soon
Power Ups
Lock On List
Reload List
On Target
The Queue
The Inevitable
Next Level List
Watch List
Tracking List

[quote name='regis100']Well done. I didn't think Wombat's audio was too horrible; it didn't really bother me.

The "Wish List" in general is a lame name; seems like an 8-year-old kid making a birthday list. Although I guess I don't have a good alternative. Possibilities:

On Tap List
Most Wanted
In The Chamber
On Deck
Up Next List (or Next Up)
Coming Soon
Power Ups
Lock On List
Reload List
On Target
The Queue
The Inevitable
Next Level List
Watch List
Tracking List[/QUOTE]

None of those are any good, nor do they describe what the Wish List is.

Almost half through the latest CAGcast on my drive to work. Thoughts so far:

1) Strangest audio problem I've ever heard, it sounds like Neil Peart is drumming on Wombat's desk with his fingers.

2) I picked up on the Live or Memorex and the Capt Caveman references. And the Jeffersons theme song, come to think of it. Yes, I am one of the 8 listeners over 30. Waaaaaaay over 30.

3) I thought the Dante's Inferno demo was pretty good and will probably pick it up at some point on sale. Ship seemed pretty even handed in his review of it- too many reviewers and bloggers dock it too many points just for ripping off GoW though.

I'm not saying they are not right- but isn't a good game a good game? What if you never played God of War?

Games rip off other games all the time. God of War borrowed a LOT from Devil May Cry, everyone is fine with that. Where was it written that God of War is some sacred cow that can't be copied from?

4) Brutal Legend is incredibly underrated and the RTS sections got way too much hate.

The first one you do is easily won just by cranking out units. Each one after that they add a new element so that by the time you are to the last few you have a good handle on how to do them.

You also need to find the hidden solos. The game is a lot more fun when you can summon a FLAMING ZEPPELIN FROM THE HEAVENS to smite your foes!

I enjoyed Cheapy and Wombat's discussion of where portable gaming is going.

I'm with Cheapy on this one. I don't need a 30 dollar game with high production values on my mobile device. I only ever want to play for a couple minutes at a time, and I don't want to have to remember a bunch of stuff from the last time I played. I experienced this with Zelda DS: when I fired up the game, I had to remember where I was, where I had to go, what items I had... so on and so forth. By the time I could really get back into the game, game time was up. I know Zelda isn't rocket science, but portable games need to be experiences you can jump in and out of.

Yesterday I was sitting in my law school library. I had the desire to play a Soccer game on my iPod touch. 2 minutes and 99 cents later, i was the proud owner of X2 Soccer 2009, which plays great and has the national squads (you'll never get club licenses on a 99 cent game, so no loss there really). This is powerful.

I can understand Wombat's desire for a d-pad and buttons. But any new handheld from Nintendo needs to emphasize connectivity, local storage (I cannot stand carrying carts around) and inexpensive creative games. It also helps if you don't look like a doofus using it and carrying it about.

Loved the show guys. Wombat sounded like he was speed wacking it every time he talked which made the show even funnier.

Good back-to-form show today guys. Thanks for appropriately lowering my expectations of the sound quality, because I didn't find it too unpalatable. It just sounded like Wombat was doing a light, tasteful tap dance routine when he was speaking. Keep up the nice reviews, Boat Crash.

Cheapy brought up a lot of good points on MAG, I'm just wondering if its going to have any community in a year or two because of those problems.

im all for no more live shows its better when it can get edited. seems like wombat needs a new mic. btw how the fuck can you be as old as you are and not have seen alien or aliens cheapyd? get on that shit already you gooffy ass bean tossing shower shitting bastard!!!!!!!!!!!

btw the saying goes " the blacker the berry the sweeter the juice" theres no mentioning of chocolate in it at all.

For Tai's next birthday party:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEe4Kmn1zlw

*raises hand as a CAG over 30*

Re: audio quality - I recently went back and listed to the first CAGcasts I heard, back before E3 2007, where live shows got their start. The calls on those first live shows were really good compared to what we've heard lately. The "name that tune" and "stump the retailer" bits live were really good. Too bad that can't be recaptured, seemingly.

Considering the garbage reception I get on my iPhone in the mountains...I barely noticed the small pops in Wombat's audio.

Cheapy has hit on one of the biggest pet peeves I've acquired in this latest generation of gaming. DLC and I have a love/hate relationship. I'm of the opinion that if your game costs $60 and within the first month or two there's already paid DLC, you're an asshole. Not as big an asshole as the guy who cuts a now standardized play option and offers it as paid DLC , but still an asshole. When it comes to new multiplayer maps after the game's been out for a while...I'm apathetic. That's solely a personal opinion though. Fine, new maps...cool. I really enjoy if there's a whole new campaign, ala Left 4 Dead, Fallout 3, etc. that's offered down the line. That's what I feel DLC should really be reserved for.

If you have enough staff to polish a game before launch and have DLC ready to go at launch, you're doing it wrong.

Great episode. Wombat was ON today and Cheapy seemed more engaged into talking about games. Thanks for no spoilers on ME yet, I hope to be done by next show too.

Regarding poorly timed game releases, I wonder how Bioshock 2's sales are affected by coming out a week after ME2. Most people I know want to play both, but bought ME2 first and were still playing it when BS2 came out. Now the buzz is kinda gone and we're looking for a price drop / used copy of Bioshock 2.

IMO they should have waited a couple extra weeks so at least the new Bioshock 2 would be on a diferent paycheque.

Cheapy, good calling out Jim Silver as an example of bad video game journalism. I used to read Destructoid but I gave up because they tried being Kotaku without the commentary Kotaku usually throws in. Without giving your own spin, you might as well not have a site and just repost stories on Facebook.

Despite Cheapy's warning I thought the audio quality was pretty good. Haven't finished it so maybe Wombat's voice dies off later. The nice thing is that with Shipwreck now on the show, if one guy's connection fails you still have the other to talk to.

Audio isn't that bad for wombat. Just a light clicking. Despite the bad audio that was a totally bad ass interview with the Mass Effect designer. Most of these blog sites don't get anything half that in-depth with a game...especially a game that just came out. Good work.

Speaking of blogs. I thought it was funny you pointing out that Jim Sterling just posted a quote with no analysis or commentary. That drives me fucking nuts. Kotaku is guilty too.

Audio was terrible for me. I usually listen while I'm at work and can hear the clicking sounds when everyone speaks, not just wombat. I couldn't take it, so had to skip this podcast as well.

I think what the Sony PR guy was trying to say is that in spite of our smaller install base we have a higher attach rate for most genres. i.e. your sales might be better than you'd expect on PS3. Of course he said it as obscurely and complicatedly as possible to mask the fact that at the end of the day they sell less copies. This is only useful to publishers if they assume Sony will catch up to Microsoft in the future.

Been listening to some old CAGcasts and was really looking forward to this one :]

I'd have to disagree with Cheapy on the "Not needing deep games on a portable" I only buy games that I can get hours and hours of game play out of (mostly RPG's)
Being on the move it gives you the ability to constantly be playing, and the more in depth the game is the more enjoyment that's possible to get out of the game.

"I'll shit in your shower, but I'll clean up afterward" best line ever haha

Thanks guys

Back with a bang guys, after a few lack for better word shit shows, I loved this one. The Audio was fine, but I do have something to say. Shipwreck speak the fuck up, when you talk your so funny, come on dude let the ginger mouth of yours yell to the sky.

This week's audio problem was a mouse scratching in the walls. The audio for the live show was the brain bug from Star Trek II in my ear.

[quote name='dabates']Loved the show guys. Wombat sounded like he was speed wacking it every time he talked which made the show even funnier.[/QUOTE]

Great, I am half way through the show and now all I can think about for the last half is Wombat speed-fapping. Thanks for that!

[quote name='BoneMonkey80']I was displeased with this CAGCAST there was ZERO vagina or demon attacks.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure you listened to the correct show? It was full of vaginas and demon attacks.

Good show, I agree a bit with Shipwreck about caring about Dante but I still thought Dante's inferno was a pretty good game. Going holy or unholy doesn't give alternate endings and thats lame. I platinum'ed it in less than a week but still felt that I enjoyed it long enough.

Shipwreck, I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but just BE QUIET. I can barely hear Cheapy speak when you open your mouth. You don't have any experience with gaming or game reviews, so show some respect when they let you on the show. More importantly, the podcast was inaudible this time around, please go back to the live shows and stop ignoring the comments. Also, Dark Void for GOTY 2010.

bread's done
Back