- - - - -

Looking for suggestions on the best bargain bin PS3 games

#1 leeloo1977   Original Girl Gamer CAGiversary!   300 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

leeloo1977

Posted 19 February 2010 - 03:12 PM

Okay I just got my PS3 a few weeks ago, it is my first current gen system. It is not backwards compatible since it is a slim so it will only play PS3 games. I am looking through bargain bin games and having a tough time deciding which ones are worth my time. I would only like games that are fun to play as opposed to just looking nice on the shelf. My PS3 list so far consists of:

Spoiler

I like RPG's, action/adventure, collect them alls, I am a completionist. Really anything except most sports games (unless they are unique somehow, as in non realistic) or war games. Not a big fan of FPS but I did like Deus EX and a few others. I like to avoid super M rated games since I have kids and my play time of those is very limited. Things like Oblivion are fine but GTA or Dragon Age not so much. I didn't care for the lego game demos.

Really looking for super bargains here, nothing over $30 and preferably under $20

Any Suggestions?

#2 odin08   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   185 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

Posted 19 February 2010 - 03:35 PM

Only thing I can say is that get Oblivion on the PC if you can, just because there's a few bits of content that aren't on the PS3 version and the mods just make it a really fun experience. (Like having a dragon to fly around the world rather than horseback.)

#3 bvharris   the black wind howls CAGiversary!   19419 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Posted 19 February 2010 - 03:45 PM

You might find Eternal Sonata fun, it's a fantastic RPG (and something kids might enjoy too, if that's a factor). Not sure it's a bargain bin game, though I'm sure you could find it for less than $30 if you tried.

#4 seanw   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1076 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 19 February 2010 - 03:53 PM

On a fun vs. $ basis my best recommendation is Mirror's Edge. It's first person, and while you can carry a gun sometimes, I've never fired a shot. It's more like first person parkour, and there have been sales on CAG this month offering the game for as little as $10. I enjoy it more than Uncharted and Assassin's Creed.

#5 Lord Humongous   NOI JITAT! CAGiversary!   907 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Lord Humongous

Posted 19 February 2010 - 07:02 PM

Mirror's Edge is cool (and $10 or less), Katamari Forever is great for you and kids, Bioshock(s), Afrika is one of my favs and would be great for the family. Pick up Flower on PSN. Burnout Paradise is a steal and lasts forever, Fallout 3, Dead Space. Most of the Disney/Kid's games are cheap and some can be quite fun (Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, Monsters vs. Aliens - good trophy hunts anyway).

#6 GeoHolyhart   Geomancer CAGiversary!   125 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

GeoHolyhart

Posted 19 February 2010 - 07:17 PM

Mirror's Edge: $10-$20, Fallout 3 (non GOTY): $20, Bioshock: $20 & Deadspace: $20
Are the only 4 cheap, good games you don't already have. Bioshock>Fallout>Deadspace>Mirror's Edge. I learned that the ps3's bargin bin is very limited. Gotta rely on sales and clearances to get good deals on good games.

Almost forgot. Marvel vs Capcom is $7.49 this week if that interests you. Always a good idea to keep an eye out for PSN weekly sales.

#7 Hibiwa   Blue Exorcist CAGiversary!   1139 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

Posted 19 February 2010 - 07:47 PM

Despite the popular claims of a wonky camera and poor controls, I'd still suggest The Simpsons Game if you've ever enjoyed watching The Simpsons at any point in your life.

For something around $17 on Amabozo, it's a nice romp around Springfield.

Another would be Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection which is an absolute fun bargain at $10 at GS - if you can find a copy. It's not among the genres you mentioned, but a great for pick-up 'n play time for the entire family. See the thread floating around for opinions.

#8 packies   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   16 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

Posted 19 February 2010 - 07:54 PM

I'd def look into dead space, which at full price right now is like 17-20 and has alot of replay value. Also assassins creed is good and Resident evil 5. These games aren't the most kid friendly, but a good everybody game is Little Big planet( non game of the year edition)

#9 aylien   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   101 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Posted 19 February 2010 - 08:05 PM

Not really a "bargain bin" per se, but have you considered downloadable games off the Playstation Network? If that's an option, the Pixeljunk series is a good start, as they're relatively kid friendly. Monsters is a personal favourite, especially with the local 2 player co-op option. I think there's a demo out, too.

Infamous should be dropping to around $20-30 now, and Batman: Arkham Asylum is likely to follow. Infamous is more of an open-world action-rpg (heavy emphasis on the action, and with a collect-them-all bent), while Batman is a very well-made action title with strong stealth gameplay.
Neither has excessive gore or graphic violence.

#10 ritchardf  

Posted 19 February 2010 - 08:07 PM

definitely recommend the williams collection. other than that id say mgs 4 and ninja gaiden sigma, but both are probably on the harsher M scale.

#11 adamthered   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   316 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 19 February 2010 - 08:58 PM

Every PS3 owner should own, play, and cherish Uncharted and Uncharted 2. There have been reports of Uncharted 1 showing up at Burlington Coat Factory for $15.

#12 leeloo1977   Original Girl Gamer CAGiversary!   300 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

leeloo1977

Posted 19 February 2010 - 09:43 PM

Awesome, thanks for all the tips..... Not really into kiddie games, my kids are tweens & teens now , and they don't play video games. But they do walk through the room alot. They don't usually stay and watch for very long though, they are more like my husband, non-gamers. My husband doesn't want me playing anything too scary/dark/gory while they are up though, something of a house rule. I am curious about Batman though, how mature is it? Also any advice on Ghostbusters? I love the 80's nostalgia thing but am not interested if the game play is horrible.

Odin~ The dragon sounds cool but PC gaming just isn't in the budget. My desktop PC is like 7 years old.

#13 Untamed Sorrow   The Maple Kind ?? CAGiversary!   1072 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Untamed Sorrow

Posted 19 February 2010 - 10:13 PM

Orange Box, tremendous bang for buck @ $20 New

#14 aylien   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   101 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Posted 19 February 2010 - 10:53 PM

There's a demo of both Batman and Ghostbusters up on PSN. As for Batman, I think the demo is rather indicative of the overall level of "maturity" (ie, violence, etc). You never actually kill anyone, you just render them unconscious. While certain NPCs are dead, they are dead before your character "arrives" on the scene, with the game hinting that its the antagonist(s) who're responsible. But don't worry, there are no exposed, gaping wounds or severed heads, it's just a body slumped on the ground. No one ever dies on screen, and you never kill anyone.

As for the level of violence Batman metes out, the game plays more like brawler (Street Fighter, not Mortal Kombat), albeit a rhythm-game brawler. I know that description probably sounds a little hokey, but you'll get a better sense of it when you try the demo. In other words, Batman is not performing headshots and blowing up body parts with his Bat-a-Rifle. With any luck, you'll hopefully be taking out the bad guys silently, via the game's excellent stealth system. If you manage to sneak up on an enemy unawares, you can generally perform a satisfying one-button takedown. However, the real joy comes from figuring out how best to maneuver around a room full of baddies and cover, with each situation playing out like a puzzle.

The story is pretty stock Saturday morning cartoon fare, though rendered in wonderful HD. There are certain scenes that delve into Batman's past and overall psyche that are more 'mature,' and I mean that in the best possible way. They may be considered scary, but only to the extent of the scariest episode of Batman: The Animated Series. Requiem for a Dream, this ain't.

The writing in those scenes is not going to win literary awards, but they explore Batman's motivation in a relatively thoughtful way. In my opinion, they're some of the best moments of the game and serve to break up the action sequences nicely.

Overall, it's a great game, and is support by some free "challenge rooms" on the PSN.

Edited by aylien, 19 February 2010 - 11:06 PM.

#15 5of9   Resistance is Futile CAGiversary!   2208 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 19 February 2010 - 10:58 PM

Bioshock and Deadspace.

#16 aylien   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   101 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Posted 19 February 2010 - 11:02 PM

Re: Dead Space suggestions, definitely a great game, but great because it succeeds in creating a "scary/dark/gory" atmosphere. Probably not the best game for your situation =)

#17 odin08   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   185 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

Posted 19 February 2010 - 11:12 PM

Ah gotcha, well then another suggestion is Tomb Raider: Underworld. Got it off gohastings.com for around 10 bucks (I think) and looks great. They also have another B2G1 for a dollar going on right now, so look around there for some deals.

#18 leeloo1977   Original Girl Gamer CAGiversary!   300 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

leeloo1977

Posted 20 February 2010 - 12:57 AM

Ok I went ahead and ordered Eternal Sonata from Amazon because I noticed it is oop and already oos in some other places. Amazon only had 5 left so I grabbed one it was $31.99 with free 2 day (prime) shipping so it seemed like a good deal.

On my keep my eyes open for list so far I have:
Batman
Tomb Raider
Fallout
Mirror's Edge
Orange Box (where is this $20 at?)
Pinball Hall of Fame
Afrika (any ideas where to get a good price on this one?)
Burnout Paradise
Going to also look into some of the PSN titles mentioned.

Thanks guys, this hunt should keep me busy for awhile.

#19 razrvamp   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   392 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

razrvamp

Posted 20 February 2010 - 01:12 AM

Eat Lead - The Return of Matt Hazard - I picked it up new for 10 bucks very fun game and the trophies are super easy to get

#20 Jmclark   This space for rent. CAGiversary!   719 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Posted 20 February 2010 - 07:26 AM

If you are interested in downloadable games, definitely check out the gamesharing thread in the PS3 forum. You can join a group on there, and end up only spending a couple bucks for those PSN games.

#21 Untamed Sorrow   The Maple Kind ?? CAGiversary!   1072 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Untamed Sorrow

Posted 22 February 2010 - 04:17 PM

Ok I went ahead and ordered Eternal Sonata from Amazon because I noticed it is oop and already oos in some other places. Amazon only had 5 left so I grabbed one it was $31.99 with free 2 day (prime) shipping so it seemed like a good deal.

On my keep my eyes open for list so far I have:
Batman
Tomb Raider
Fallout
Mirror's Edge
Orange Box (where is this $20 at?)
Pinball Hall of Fame
Afrika (any ideas where to get a good price on this one?)
Burnout Paradise
Going to also look into some of the PSN titles mentioned.

Thanks guys, this hunt should keep me busy for awhile.

http://www.gamestop....matchallpartial

#22 leeloo1977   Original Girl Gamer CAGiversary!   300 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

leeloo1977

Posted 22 February 2010 - 06:11 PM

http://www.gamestop....matchallpartial

Ah thanks, no PS3 versions seem to be left.

#23 jousley   10yr Member of CAG! CAGiversary!   1606 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 06:26 PM

My votes are for Mirrors Edge, Fallout 3, Burnout Paradise and Orange Box....some of Fallout 3 and OB aren't really kid friendly....but these are easily the most bang for your buck. Also, Heavenly Sword and either Uncharted game...EXCELLENT games.

#24 johank33   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   23 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

johank33

Posted 22 February 2010 - 06:37 PM

How about Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction? There is also a PSN title in the series, Ratchet and Clank: Quest for Booty. Finally, the newest one Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time. A lot of fun, plus you can play when your kids are around.

#25 DigitalKitsune   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   60 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

DigitalKitsune

Posted 22 February 2010 - 07:13 PM

Burnout Paradise is 18.25 on amazon (there is also ultimate box DLC for that)
Hot Shots Golf OOB is $20 at wal-mart B&M (YMMV)
Valkyria Chronicles is $20 at Gamestop
Disgaea 3 is $29.99 on amazon

#26 Untamed Sorrow   The Maple Kind ?? CAGiversary!   1072 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Untamed Sorrow

Posted 23 February 2010 - 02:33 AM

Ah thanks, no PS3 versions seem to be left.

You can still get them in store and I think, could be wrong, but for what it seems the PS3 version is becoming rare.

#27 Untamed Sorrow   The Maple Kind ?? CAGiversary!   1072 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Untamed Sorrow

Posted 23 February 2010 - 02:37 AM

My votes are for Mirrors Edge, Fallout 3, Burnout Paradise and Orange Box....some of Fallout 3 and OB aren't really kid friendly....but these are easily the most bang for your buck. Also, Heavenly Sword and either Uncharted game...EXCELLENT games.

Heavenly Sword albeit being a great game is extremely short. I'm amazed there isn't a sequel yet, regardless of the ending....

#28 DigitalKitsune   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   60 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

DigitalKitsune

Posted 23 February 2010 - 05:44 AM

Heavenly Sword albeit being a great game is extremely short. I'm amazed there isn't a sequel yet, regardless of the ending....

Good luck finding that on the cheap thou these days ... most places are still charging close to full price, if they have it. Ridiculous; really needs to drop in price.

Also, if you like the old school games Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection is around $19.

#29 leeloo1977   Original Girl Gamer CAGiversary!   300 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

leeloo1977

Posted 23 February 2010 - 07:33 PM

Yeah, I recently downloaded and played the demo for the Genesis collection and was pretty impressed, definitely going to add that to the list. I would like to find it for under $15.00 though. I am going game hunting on Friday morning so hopefully I will be able to find good deals on some of these.

#30 kube00   Keeping in Cheap since 2005 CAGiversary!   10456 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 23 February 2010 - 07:57 PM

I'd check your local target often times ps3 games are on clearance