Looking for suggestions on the best bargain bin PS3 games

leeloo1977

CAGiversary!
Okay I just got my PS3 a few weeks ago, it is my first current gen system. It is not backwards compatible since it is a slim so it will only play PS3 games. I am looking through bargain bin games and having a tough time deciding which ones are worth my time. I would only like games that are fun to play as opposed to just looking nice on the shelf. My PS3 list so far consists of:

Ratchet and Clank ToD
Hot Shots OOB
Oblivion GOTY
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
Valkyria Chronicles
PSN: Suikoden

I like RPG's, action/adventure, collect them alls, I am a completionist. Really anything except most sports games (unless they are unique somehow, as in non realistic) or war games. Not a big fan of FPS but I did like Deus EX and a few others. I like to avoid super M rated games since I have kids and my play time of those is very limited. Things like Oblivion are fine but GTA or Dragon Age not so much. I didn't care for the lego game demos.

Really looking for super bargains here, nothing over $30 and preferably under $20

Any Suggestions?

Only thing I can say is that get Oblivion on the PC if you can, just because there's a few bits of content that aren't on the PS3 version and the mods just make it a really fun experience. (Like having a dragon to fly around the world rather than horseback.)

You might find Eternal Sonata fun, it's a fantastic RPG (and something kids might enjoy too, if that's a factor). Not sure it's a bargain bin game, though I'm sure you could find it for less than $30 if you tried.

On a fun vs. $ basis my best recommendation is Mirror's Edge. It's first person, and while you can carry a gun sometimes, I've never fired a shot. It's more like first person parkour, and there have been sales on CAG this month offering the game for as little as $10. I enjoy it more than Uncharted and Assassin's Creed.

Mirror's Edge is cool (and $10 or less), Katamari Forever is great for you and kids, Bioshock(s), Afrika is one of my favs and would be great for the family. Pick up Flower on PSN. Burnout Paradise is a steal and lasts forever, Fallout 3, Dead Space. Most of the Disney/Kid's games are cheap and some can be quite fun (Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, Monsters vs. Aliens - good trophy hunts anyway).

Mirror's Edge: $10-$20, Fallout 3 (non GOTY): $20, Bioshock: $20 & Deadspace: $20
Are the only 4 cheap, good games you don't already have. Bioshock>Fallout>Deadspace>Mirror's Edge. I learned that the ps3's bargin bin is very limited. Gotta rely on sales and clearances to get good deals on good games.

Almost forgot. Marvel vs Capcom is $7.49 this week if that interests you. Always a good idea to keep an eye out for PSN weekly sales.

Despite the popular claims of a wonky camera and poor controls, I'd still suggest The Simpsons Game if you've ever enjoyed watching The Simpsons at any point in your life.

For something around $17 on Amabozo, it's a nice romp around Springfield.

Another would be Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection which is an absolute fun bargain at $10 at GS - if you can find a copy. It's not among the genres you mentioned, but a great for pick-up 'n play time for the entire family. See the thread floating around for opinions.

I'd def look into dead space, which at full price right now is like 17-20 and has alot of replay value. Also assassins creed is good and Resident evil 5. These games aren't the most kid friendly, but a good everybody game is Little Big planet( non game of the year edition)

Not really a "bargain bin" per se, but have you considered downloadable games off the Playstation Network? If that's an option, the Pixeljunk series is a good start, as they're relatively kid friendly. Monsters is a personal favourite, especially with the local 2 player co-op option. I think there's a demo out, too.

Infamous should be dropping to around $20-30 now, and Batman: Arkham Asylum is likely to follow. Infamous is more of an open-world action-rpg (heavy emphasis on the action, and with a collect-them-all bent), while Batman is a very well-made action title with strong stealth gameplay.
Neither has excessive gore or graphic violence.

definitely recommend the williams collection. other than that id say mgs 4 and ninja gaiden sigma, but both are probably on the harsher M scale.

Every PS3 owner should own, play, and cherish Uncharted and Uncharted 2. There have been reports of Uncharted 1 showing up at Burlington Coat Factory for $15.

Awesome, thanks for all the tips..... Not really into kiddie games, my kids are tweens & teens now , and they don't play video games. But they do walk through the room alot. They don't usually stay and watch for very long though, they are more like my husband, non-gamers. My husband doesn't want me playing anything too scary/dark/gory while they are up though, something of a house rule. I am curious about Batman though, how mature is it? Also any advice on Ghostbusters? I love the 80's nostalgia thing but am not interested if the game play is horrible.

Odin~ The dragon sounds cool but PC gaming just isn't in the budget. My desktop PC is like 7 years old.

There's a demo of both Batman and Ghostbusters up on PSN. As for Batman, I think the demo is rather indicative of the overall level of "maturity" (ie, violence, etc). You never actually kill anyone, you just render them unconscious. While certain NPCs are dead, they are dead before your character "arrives" on the scene, with the game hinting that its the antagonist(s) who're responsible. But don't worry, there are no exposed, gaping wounds or severed heads, it's just a body slumped on the ground. No one ever dies on screen, and you never kill anyone.

As for the level of violence Batman metes out, the game plays more like brawler (Street Fighter, not Mortal Kombat), albeit a rhythm-game brawler. I know that description probably sounds a little hokey, but you'll get a better sense of it when you try the demo. In other words, Batman is not performing headshots and blowing up body parts with his Bat-a-Rifle. With any luck, you'll hopefully be taking out the bad guys silently, via the game's excellent stealth system. If you manage to sneak up on an enemy unawares, you can generally perform a satisfying one-button takedown. However, the real joy comes from figuring out how best to maneuver around a room full of baddies and cover, with each situation playing out like a puzzle.

The story is pretty stock Saturday morning cartoon fare, though rendered in wonderful HD. There are certain scenes that delve into Batman's past and overall psyche that are more 'mature,' and I mean that in the best possible way. They may be considered scary, but only to the extent of the scariest episode of Batman: The Animated Series. Requiem for a Dream, this ain't.

The writing in those scenes is not going to win literary awards, but they explore Batman's motivation in a relatively thoughtful way. In my opinion, they're some of the best moments of the game and serve to break up the action sequences nicely.

Overall, it's a great game, and is support by some free "challenge rooms" on the PSN.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Dead Space suggestions, definitely a great game, but great because it succeeds in creating a "scary/dark/gory" atmosphere. Probably not the best game for your situation =)

Ah gotcha, well then another suggestion is Tomb Raider: Underworld. Got it off gohastings.com for around 10 bucks (I think) and looks great. They also have another B2G1 for a dollar going on right now, so look around there for some deals.

Ok I went ahead and ordered Eternal Sonata from Amazon because I noticed it is oop and already oos in some other places. Amazon only had 5 left so I grabbed one it was $31.99 with free 2 day (prime) shipping so it seemed like a good deal.

On my keep my eyes open for list so far I have:
Batman
Tomb Raider
Fallout
Mirror's Edge
Orange Box (where is this $20 at?)
Pinball Hall of Fame
Afrika (any ideas where to get a good price on this one?)
Burnout Paradise
Going to also look into some of the PSN titles mentioned.

Thanks guys, this hunt should keep me busy for awhile.

Eat Lead - The Return of Matt Hazard - I picked it up new for 10 bucks very fun game and the trophies are super easy to get

If you are interested in downloadable games, definitely check out the gamesharing thread in the PS3 forum. You can join a group on there, and end up only spending a couple bucks for those PSN games.

[quote name='leeloo1977']Ok I went ahead and ordered Eternal Sonata from Amazon because I noticed it is oop and already oos in some other places. Amazon only had 5 left so I grabbed one it was $31.99 with free 2 day (prime) shipping so it seemed like a good deal.

On my keep my eyes open for list so far I have:
Batman
Tomb Raider
Fallout
Mirror's Edge
Orange Box (where is this $20 at?)
Pinball Hall of Fame
Afrika (any ideas where to get a good price on this one?)
Burnout Paradise
Going to also look into some of the PSN titles mentioned.

Thanks guys, this hunt should keep me busy for awhile.[/QUOTE]http://www.gamestop.com/browse/sear...=true&Ntt=orange+box&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial

My votes are for Mirrors Edge, Fallout 3, Burnout Paradise and Orange Box....some of Fallout 3 and OB aren't really kid friendly....but these are easily the most bang for your buck. Also, Heavenly Sword and either Uncharted game...EXCELLENT games.

How about Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction? There is also a PSN title in the series, Ratchet and Clank: Quest for Booty. Finally, the newest one Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time. A lot of fun, plus you can play when your kids are around.

Burnout Paradise is 18.25 on amazon (there is also ultimate box DLC for that)
Hot Shots Golf OOB is $20 at wal-mart B&M (YMMV)
Valkyria Chronicles is $20 at Gamestop
Disgaea 3 is $29.99 on amazon

[quote name='leeloo1977']Ah thanks, no PS3 versions seem to be left.[/QUOTE]
You can still get them in store and I think, could be wrong, but for what it seems the PS3 version is becoming rare.

[quote name='jousley']My votes are for Mirrors Edge, Fallout 3, Burnout Paradise and Orange Box....some of Fallout 3 and OB aren't really kid friendly....but these are easily the most bang for your buck. Also, Heavenly Sword and either Uncharted game...EXCELLENT games.[/QUOTE]

Heavenly Sword albeit being a great game is extremely short. I'm amazed there isn't a sequel yet, regardless of the ending....

[quote name='Untamed Sorrow']Heavenly Sword albeit being a great game is extremely short. I'm amazed there isn't a sequel yet, regardless of the ending....[/QUOTE]

Good luck finding that on the cheap thou these days ... most places are still charging close to full price, if they have it. Ridiculous; really needs to drop in price.

Also, if you like the old school games Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection is around $19.

Yeah, I recently downloaded and played the demo for the Genesis collection and was pretty impressed, definitely going to add that to the list. I would like to find it for under $15.00 though. I am going game hunting on Friday morning so hopefully I will be able to find good deals on some of these.

I'm surprised you left out Metal Gear Solid 4 from your considering games list.

I know it's a "war" themed game (what with snake saying the word 50 million times in the intro...), but it's a lot more on government conspiracy and covert ops. Not so much focused on the gruesome war aspect of infantry soldiers in the field doing/taking heavy fire fights, etc. (It is a tactical stealth game after all)

I find MGS4 to be more of a psychological thriller than a war game. It's $20 new everywhere, so I would definitely recommend that for you to experience.

If you can handle Fallout 3's brutal decapitation using VAT, I find it no reason you should ditch this masterpiece.

ninja gaiden sigma?

you can try to find littlebigplanet somewhere for cheap.
god of war collection? but again, may be a bit pricey.

but ninja gaiden sigma is an excellent remake of an excellent game.

[quote name='leeloo1977']Yeah, I recently downloaded and played the demo for the Genesis collection and was pretty impressed, definitely going to add that to the list. I would like to find it for under $15.00 though. I am going game hunting on Friday morning so hopefully I will be able to find good deals on some of these.[/QUOTE]

I was just gonna suggest this one, seeing how all the really choice titles had been suggested. I picked it up for $20 a few weeks ago and its totally worth it if you're old like me. I have past Genesis collections, but the addition of Beyond Oasis and the Shining Force and Streets of Rage games sold me. Great collection.

There are a lot of psn games you can download that are fun and kid friendly. I play Flock, Flower, Eden, Critter Crunch, Zen Pinball, Tank Battles and Supersonic acrobatic rocket power battle cars with my kids all the time. All under $10. Fat Princess (turn off the blood)

XC... the only reason I left MGS4 off my list is because I read it wasn't a great place to jump into the series. I never played the first 3 games so I am not sure I would have any clue what was going on in the game.

rob.... yep I am pretty old, and all those games bring back great memories! I am old enough that I remember when those games were cutting edge graphics! lol

Thanks for all the other suggestions as well, I am looking into them!

Ah I see. Well then, do you see yourself playing the first 3 before starting on MGS4? Or... is it more likely that you won't have time and MGS4 may be overwhelmed by the newer games that is to come.

I was at the same fork in the road, but decided to just play it rather than letting it drop off the radar like the previous titles. xD I did have a decent grasp of what's what of the MGS universe though.(even though I never finished 1, never played 2 or 3)

I have to second the Simpsons recommendation. I noticed no one answered your Ghostbusters question while i have not yet played it from what i hear it is a great game but it should be played on easy mode otherwise it might get frustrating.

Let me also recommend checking newegg.com they got a pretty extensive list of PS3 games on the cheap. Also if you want to see videos of games to see what they are like to help you decide if you want to buy check out giantbomb.com their quicklook section of videos is pretty cool.

[quote name='leeloo1977']On my keep my eyes open for list so far I have:
Fallout
Mirror's Edge
[/QUOTE]

Fallout - The GOTY edition is on clearance at Sears in-store for $30.

Mirror's Edge - On clearance at Sam's Club in-store for $8.81.

Ugh... no luck today..... everyone was cleared out. Sears only had a few DS games left in the bin, pretty much the same at Target and everywhere else. Guess I will have to try again next Friday.

[quote name='pureheat101']ninja gaiden sigma?

you can try to find littlebigplanet somewhere for cheap.
god of war collection? but again, may be a bit pricey.

but ninja gaiden sigma is an excellent remake of an excellent game.[/QUOTE]

Ninja Gaiden Sigma is gonna be too hard for 7 year olds.

Get the Lego Star Wars, Lego Batman, and Lego Indiana Jones(original). Lego Harry Potter is coming out this year.

[quote name='Tony208']Ninja Gaiden Sigma is gonna be too hard for 7 year olds.

Get the Lego Star Wars, Lego Batman, and Lego Indiana Jones(original). Lego Harry Potter is coming out this year.[/QUOTE]

Depends on the 7 year old. Just cause it busts your balls doesnt mean a little kid cant do it.

If you're going to get Burnout Paradise, download the Ultimate Box off PSN for $29.99. It's quite a bit of content for that extra 10 bucks.

I just got an old PS3 also. So far I only have:
Valkyria Chronicles
Fat Princess
Warhawk

I would recommend Brutal Legend. I have it on 360 and it's pretty fun and cheap. Amazon has it on sale.

I saw Way of the Samaria 3 used for $20 I think at GS. I was tempted to get it, but Idid not know if it was any good.

Metal Gear
is also nice and cheap. And don't worry about having a clue to what's going one, since no else does either.

Does anyone know of a good deal on Katamari Forever? I really want that game the most.

Afrika was $35 at used at GS.

Other $20 games:
[SIZE=-1]Red Faction: Guerrilla
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=60801[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Ninja Gaiden Sigma
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Ghostbusters
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=70963[/SIZE]

bread's done
Back