PS3 60GB console, video takes 60 seconds to appear!

MCalvert1

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
I've had this 60 GB model for about nearly 3 years now. I've never had a problem with it before. But about a month ago I discovered that when you turn it on, it takes 60 seconds or more for the video/audio to output. It looks like it boots normally, lights seem correct. But I have to wait and wait for the picture and sound. Once it's up, the thing runs flawlessly for hours at a time.

It's hooked up via HDMI to an Onkyo receiver. I've tried changing HDMI cables, no difference. I have not changed any settings on the PS3 or Onkyo and never had this problem with this setup before. And this problem began before the most recent firmware update.

Does anyone have a clue?

MjC

I'm sorry I don't have a good answer for you about what's wrong - but...

BACKUP YOUR HARD DRIVE NOW.

There's my 2 cents.

I'll offer a guess I suppose though - I think your PS3 is about to shit the bed. You better back it up, or else lose everything. I just went through a PS3 bed-shitting. Not my idea of a good time since I didn't back it up :(

Hope it works out for you.

Probably good advice, but let me ask this. Let's say my PS3 decides to say goodbye to this cruel world. Couldn't I just take the HDD out and put it in another PS3? Or is there some kind of lame DRM preventing me from doing that? I always figured I'd just pick up a slim if this one died.

MjC

There's lame DRM

In fact, I swapped out my 60 for a 320 a couple years back and STILL get an occaisonal "Correct Hard Disk Not Found" on start up. (A power cycle will fix it though)

Right.

Any HDD that has not been in that specific machine before will be forced to go through a format.

What's even worse, if/when yours dies - if you do pick up a slim, you STILL can't just use the backed-up HDD to copy stuff over. You will have to redownload everything from PSN that you had before, and any gamesaves will need to be transferred via a usb thumb drive or memory stick.

Basically, when you switch systems you are going to get screwed (hard drives can be done if you are careful to backup well).

Do you have a different TV. I noticed that my XBOX 360 which is on my secondary TV will not boot up until I switch the input to the TV to HDMI 2. It is really weird, but who knows....I don't care as I got that 360 free with the TV from Best Buy and it works fine.

[quote name='doubledown']Do you have a different TV. I noticed that my XBOX 360 which is on my secondary TV will not boot up until I switch the input to the TV to HDMI 2. It is really weird, but who knows....I don't care as I got that 360 free with the TV from Best Buy and it works fine.[/QUOTE]

This,

Some HDTVs and receivers have a horrendous HDCP check times, which will delay video from being displayed for up to a minute, and maybe there's something wonky going on between the receiver and the TV. Tried hooking up the PS3 directly to the TV, or using component or even standard composite? If the symptoms persist even with different hookups, your PS3 might be on a one-way-trip to deadville.

That's funny. I have my 60gb ps3 hooked up hdmi through my onkyo receiver aswell. I notived it takes 60+ seconds to load up video. This only happened to me twice. I thought maybe its because I haven't turned on my system in a long time or maybe its because of the latest update....or maybe its about to kick the bucket.

I use my system maybe once or twice a month, its in an open area and I always keep it clean. It will suck if its gonna die.

[quote name='BigBizzee']Right.

Any HDD that has not been in that specific machine before will be forced to go through a format.

What's even worse, if/when yours dies - if you do pick up a slim, you STILL can't just use the backed-up HDD to copy stuff over. You will have to redownload everything from PSN that you had before, and any gamesaves will need to be transferred via a usb thumb drive or memory stick.

Basically, when you switch systems you are going to get screwed (hard drives can be done if you are careful to backup well).[/QUOTE]

I don't even mind redownloading things. What's worse is that certain DRM'ed game saves CANNOT be copied to a memory stick or thumb drive (I'm looking at you, RB and GH games), meaning all of your progress is lost. :bomb:

[quote name='Mugen Power']I don't even mind redownloading things. What's worse is that certain DRM'ed game saves CANNOT be copied to a memory stick or thumb drive (I'm looking at you, RB and GH games), meaning all of your progress is lost. :bomb:[/QUOTE]

Don't forget about alot of EA's shit, since they seem to like locking saves right to the HDD. That's the one thing that pissed me off bout Mercenaries 2 the most. I ended up trading my 40gb PS3 in August towards a new slim and I figured I had more than enough room for all of my saves on my flash drive.

But lo and behold, the save for Mercenaries 2 was unable to be copied.:bomb: fuckin' EA.

Good points.

I usually don't mind downloading things either, but I have about 25 or so MSN games downloaded, and about 60 or so rock band/GH songs. It took me FOREVER to get all of that stuff redone :(

On top of that, I am in some gamesharing groups - and I didn't realize you had to DEACTIVATE a system before you could reuse the gamesharing account. So, I lost some stuff :(

[quote name='BigBizzee']Good points.

I usually don't mind downloading things either, but I have about 25 or so MSN games downloaded, and about 60 or so rock band/GH songs. It took me FOREVER to get all of that stuff redone :(

On top of that, I am in some gamesharing groups - and I didn't realize you had to DEACTIVATE a system before you could reuse the gamesharing account. So, I lost some stuff :([/QUOTE]

I didn't know you could deactivate a system from being on a shared account. How do you do it?

Also, I will try to either hook the PS3 up directly to the TV or on another TV. I'm hoping it's some kind of HDMI handshake thing or something. But I can't figure out why it's doing this now and never did before with the exact same setup.

MjC

Ok, I have concluded this is absolutely an issue with either the TV or the receiver because I took the PS3 to another TV and it worked perfectly. So now goes the search for an answer.

MjC

[quote name='MCalvert1']Ok, I have concluded this is absolutely an issue with either the TV or the receiver because I took the PS3 to another TV and it worked perfectly. So now goes the search for an answer.

MjC[/QUOTE]

Are you sure your output is a native mode on the receiver or TV? Did you bypass the receiver and hook it directly to the TV?

[quote name='jmbreci']Are you sure your output is a native mode on the receiver or TV? Did you bypass the receiver and hook it directly to the TV?[/QUOTE]

I hooked the PS3 up to a different TV via HDMI, but not directly to this TV. The receiver passes 1080p just fine, and the TV is 1080p. If that's what you're asking?

MjC

[quote name='MCalvert1']I hooked the PS3 up to a different TV via HDMI, but not directly to this TV. The receiver passes 1080p just fine, and the TV is 1080p. If that's what you're asking?

MjC[/QUOTE]

I think he wants to know if you hooked the PS3 directly into the TV, do you get the same delay? This would probably help determine what the root cause is. If you have anything else you can test (360, HD Cable Box/TIVO), let us know what happens. Also, if you can provide the TV and receiver models, this would also help.

[quote name='mitch079']I think he wants to know if you hooked the PS3 directly into the TV, do you get the same delay? This would probably help determine what the root cause is. If you have anything else you can test (360, HD Cable Box/TIVO), let us know what happens. Also, if you can provide the TV and receiver models, this would also help.[/QUOTE]

I didn't hook it directly to this TV, but on another LCD in my house via HDMI. I never had this problem on this exact setup until a few months ago.

The TV is the Sony KDL46Z4100 and the receiver is the Onkyo TX-SR606.

I also have no problems whatsoever with my cable box or upscaling Oppo DVD which are both connected via HDMI on this receiver. And I tried switching the HDMI ports around and nothing changed.

MjC

It's definitely the Onkyo. I found this yesterday:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1141824&highlight=sr606

What appears to be the difference between the PS3 and everything else is that the PS3 is outputting 1080p and the other devices are outputting 1080i. Apparently 1080p is more taxing on the receiver.

I thought I had picked a pretty good receiver, but apparently not. I plan on letting the Onkyo do it's thing until the HDMI board dies or becomes unbearable. Then I'll look at Pioneer, Yamaha, or Sony for it's replacement.

MjC

bread's done
Back