Eternal Darkness- worth it to pick up for 500Goozex pts?

Ruahrc

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I was looking at some youtube videos of Eternal Darkness today and was thinking to maybe pick it up somewhere. Right now it's 500pts on Goozex and "instantly available" so I could pretty much get it right away if I wanted.

For collection's sake it seems to be one of the more sought-after GC titles.

As someone who doesn't play "scary/horror" games like Slient Hill though, would I enjoy this kind of game? In what way exactly is it scary, and would I not enjoy it if I did not like jump-out-at-you moments?

Ruahrc

[quote name='Ruahrc']I was looking at some youtube videos of Eternal Darkness today and was thinking to maybe pick it up somewhere. Right now it's 500pts on Goozex and "instantly available" so I could pretty much get it right away if I wanted.

For collection's sake it seems to be one of the more sought-after GC titles.

As someone who doesn't play "scary/horror" games like Slient Hill though, would I enjoy this kind of game? In what way exactly is it scary, and would I not enjoy it if I did not like jump-out-at-you moments?

Ruahrc[/QUOTE]

Not sure how much 500pts is worth at Goozex, I do however highly recommend the game. You can read my review here.

I didn't really go into detail about the "scare factor" in the review. The game has it has a couple "jump-out-at-you" moments but not very many. I personally felt that this game was more of an adventure game than horror, despite the theme.

Well the accepted "conversion factor" seems to be 100pts=$5 since you can buy them from Goozex at that rate. Therefore 500pts for a game roughly equates to about $25. I am wondering if it would be better for me to try to locate a copy on ebay or amazon rather than use Goozex points. The only risk involved with Goozex is that you can't control the quality of the item you receive, however I have found in general that "collector's" type games like Eternal Darkness seem to always be in good condition, whereas common crappy games like GTA will come more beat up.

The flip side is that to find a copy that is in good condition on Amazon or ebay, the seller usually tries to extract a premium from you for it, making it cost more (potentially more than its Goozex equivalent).

Ruahrc

I bought the game day 1 and to date, I consider it one of the most underrated games ever. It was a fantastic game with an engrossing story and excellent gameplay. Of course, the sanity effects probably won't catch you off guard anymore since you're heard about them or seen them in other games since then but the game is easily a top 5 on the GC.

I tried to play this a year or 2 ago and couldn't make it through it. Controls / outdated graphics were just too much. I really liked the story / concept or what I played, but it just didn't grab me.

One of my all time favorite games, played through it 4 times (one for each of the starting 3 colors/demon alignments and the last purple one that gets unlocked for beating it with the first 3. Other than some wonky camera controls, I didn't think it controlled too bad. Definitely not like some of the "tank" controls the early survival games had. And if they ever re-do the game in high def, or come out with a sequel, I will be first in line to buy brand spankin' new (that's saying something for me) :D

[quote name='mang9432']I tried to play this a year or 2 ago and couldn't make it through it. Controls / outdated graphics were just too much. I really liked the story / concept or what I played, but it just didn't grab me.[/QUOTE]
I agree (clunky combat, graphics haven't aged well), but I found the setting and story compelling enough to see it through to the end.

[quote name='MortalKombat2007']Not sure how much 500pts is worth at Goozex, I do however highly recommend the game. You can read my review here.

I didn't really go into detail about the "scare factor" in the review. The game has it has a couple "jump-out-at-you" moments but not very many. I personally felt that this game was more of an adventure game than horror, despite the theme.[/QUOTE]

I agree with the review posted by MortalKombat2007; this is an outstanding game that gets overlooked too often by most gamers. The graphics have not aged well, and admittedly, it wasn't exactly the prettiest game when it came out, either. Screen shots of Capcom's RE remake basically rendered ED an afterthought to most players.

Although ED plays a lot like RE, it stands out for its superb storyline and amazing voice acting. To this day, you'd be hard-pressed to find another game with such great story-telling and good actors. The game isn't very scary however and that unfortunately is in part due to the graphics -- which do indeed look sometimes like a coated-over N64 game.

Definitely worth a play-through, though.

I don't share people's enthusiasm however for a sequel. ED is Nintendo's property (I think) and not Silicon Knight's, since Nintendo published the title and oversaw it (in fact, one of the reasons it was delayed was because Miyamoto was involved). I don't see Nintendo revisiting this property anytime in the near future and given the Wii's base today, it seems even more unlikely.

[quote name='Mojo691'] And if they ever re-do the game in high def, or come out with a sequel, I will be first in line to buy brand spankin' new (that's saying something for me) :D[/QUOTE]

I'd like to see either of those happen, I just hope the abortion that is Too Human didn't sink Silicon Knights forever.

I don't think it's worth $25, but if you are smart you can get Goozex points for about half that price (either from the recent sale or by trading sale-priced games)... and it's definitely worth $15.

Eternal Darkness has flaws. It was a game planned for the N64 system originally, and the graphics/controls both show signs of that legacy. Combat isn't fleshed out as much as it should be. Some parts of the story can be a bit clumsy. Anyone denying these problems is sugar-coating the experience.

However, there are also some brilliant ideas in the game, a good story with Lovecraftian overtones, and more than enough memorable moments to justify playing through at least once.

The one thing I'd recommend is to read as little as possible about the game before playing. The less you know going in, the more effective the experience is. The only exception, and one thing that I wish I had done differently my first time playing through the game, is:
pick the green artifact when you have to choose between three early in the game
. I won't tell you why I make that suggestion though.

(Edit: On a side-note, I wouldn't trade my copy away for 500 Goozex points. The game is worth more to me than that. Take that for what it's worth.)

I looked on gamestop.com and saw that used copies sell for $15. Surprisingly to me, pretty much every store near me had a copy in stock. I called around to find one that was in good condition and complete, and drove out to pick it up. $15 ("300 Goozex points") made it a definite buy, plus I brought along a couple old GC games I traded in using the 50% bonus so it only cost me $7. Finally was able to cash in on that Super Smash Bros Melee I found on the ground (!) outside my house and I got $6 for it, not bad!

Ruahrc

I actually consider it to be one of the most overrated games ever. The idea of the game is great, but the camera angles are some of the worst i have seen it makes the game unplayable.

I remember bringing my Gamecube into work and playing this while I had extra time. The video cable in the back of the TV was loose and I assumed that every time the screen got fuzzy or blacked out that it was part of the sanity effects. It wasn't until two days later when I was telling my brother-in-law about it that I found out I'm an idiot. :roll:

that game was so awesome. I literally thought I was going insane while playing it. didnt make sense though that when you beat it, the game starts over. but perphaps thats part of the insanity

I played through several levels of this game and I had no freaking clue what was going on. I even restarted the game so I could better understand the story. I still have no idea. I was like "ok I am suddenly controlling some amazon woman". Then I am back in the house reading a book. I have no idea what affect the Amazon had on the rest of the game. I explore the house and find nothing to do. Go back to the book and it takes me somewhere else.

I plan on giving it another try someday soon, but WTF.

I felt like the game was worth it...but then when you start playing it a lot, you start to go insane...and eventually it just starts over and you lose your mind

bread's done
Back