Best Weight-Loss Supplement?

Javery

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
OK, I've had it. All the running and working out in the world and I can't seem to drop those last 10lbs. About 10 years ago I took some Ripped Fuel and that shit was like magic - it was easy to maintain my weight (even though my heart felt like it was going to explode). I know all that junk has been banned by the FDA but there's got to be something out there that works. Anyone got any suggestions? I eat OK, I don't drink often and I run/lift 5 days a week. I'm looking at trying Lipo-6 and Hydroxycut but I'm open to suggestions...

I tend to use more of the natural stuff like Fish Oil and CLA. I think most products use these ingredients anyways.

I am also interested if there is anything new out there that is any good.

There is no magic weight loss pill...almost all of them either just dehydrate you are "cleanse" you...both are just temporary. Most the others are dangerous and not worth it. Just a brief google of hydroxycut mentioned liver problems(don't know if true). I think Ali is the closest thing to an over the counter drug that might work and not risk your health, it makes it so you don't absorb fats I think...and the warnings actually say you better wear dark pants cause your gonna have the worst diarrhea of your life. You should save your money and buy a heart rate monitor to make sure your maximizing your exercise time if you've hit a plateau. You don't need sketchy drugs-they aren't sustainable and once you stop taking them you'll just gain back the weight(if they work in the first place). I know I'm preaching to ya, but I just don't think pills are an effective long term solution.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']It's 10 pounds. I have to lose 50 or 60.[/QUOTE]

I've been trying to lose these 10lbs for about 10 years. I agree that the pills are a temporary solution but I don't mind temporarily feeling awesome!

[quote name='caltab']There is no magic weight loss pill...almost all of them either just dehydrate you are "cleanse" you...both are just temporary. Most the others are dangerous and not worth it. Just a brief google of hydroxycut mentioned liver problems(don't know if true). I think Ali is the closest thing to an over the counter drug that might work and not risk your health, it makes it so you don't absorb fats I think...and the warnings actually say you better wear dark pants cause your gonna have the worst diarrhea of your life. You should save your money and buy a heart rate monitor to make sure your maximizing your exercise time if you've hit a plateau. You don't need sketchy drugs-they aren't sustainable and once you stop taking them you'll just gain back the weight(if they work in the first place). I know I'm preaching to ya, but I just don't think pills are an effective long term solution.[/QUOTE]

This is very true about the so called "Magic Pills." This guy is absoulty right. So drink a lot of ice water and start writing down everything you eat and exersise. I know it's a pain in the butt to write everything, but you realize what you've been either eating too much/less or exersing too much/less.

I hear P90X is good for what you want. I have wanted to try it, but I'm not in good enough shape to be able to succeed with that. I've been thinking about trying Metabolife to boost my diet and exercise efforts, but I don't know if it's worth the money and/or risk.

the bottom line is burn more calories than you consume...I lost 90 lbs starting 2.5 years ago writing down everything I ate and measuring it and jogging 1 hr 5-6 times a week. I never ate any diet foods or took any kind of pill, and often ate at places like Chipotle(burrito bowl). If you take some pill it might work in the short term, but you cannot take a pill for very long and if you do not change your habits you will gain the weight right back(and often times more). I really found the food journal the most helpful, because it created a sense of accountability to myself. Also, drink a crap ton of water- if you haven't been doing that you can lose like 2 lbs just by properly hydrating yourself.

I'll chime in and say what has worked for me:
1) Lots of ice water and tea
2) Lots of fidgeting whenever I'm 'idle'
3) Cutting 3 meals into 6 meals (basically using soyjoy in between brk-lunch-dinner and as an after dinner snack)
4) Working out (believe it or not, but mainly using EA active but with some beastly resistance bands)
5) Weighing every day

My stomach has shrunk and I just can't eat that much at meals anymore.

weight loss is like 90% calorie reduction, which is way harder than exercise. but if you don't care too much about metabolism and general health, cutting calories is seriously the best method for general weight loss.

cardio is the best thing for losing weight. of course that is obvious but my opinion of the best cardio differs from many. break dance!

so many moves and variations that it works out your whole body. if u know someone to teach you then that is great. if you dont, u will have a HARD time. I am lean and always have been but one time i picked up 15 lbs by doing nothing and working at an office. Started to dance again (5-6hrs a week) and lost all that in about two months.

if you dont know much about breaking, one will assume its all headspins and things of that nature. its a DANCE and takes time to learn but who knows maybe it is for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd1O_T_uAQ0

I think that if you take your diet from "OK" to awesome, then you'll probably see the results that you want.

Simple changes can go a long way. If you're eating stuff like white bread and rice, then change to the whole grain stuff. Also, just cutting your carb intake can help out with weight loss, too.

Just go online and look for some recipes that look appealing and give it a shot.

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']I think that if you take your diet from "OK" to awesome, then you'll probably see the results that you want.

Simple changes can go a long way. If you're eating stuff like white bread and rice, then change to the whole grain stuff. Also, just cutting your carb intake can help out with weight loss, too.

Just go online and look for some recipes that look appealing and give it a shot.[/QUOTE]

I do eat whole grain pasta, rice and bread. Cutting my carb intake is probably a good part of the solution. Also, no more alcohol. I don't drink a lot but I probably have 1 or 2 most weekends. I'm going to try baby carrots and bananas at work for the next couple of weeks instead of almonds and see if that does anything. I stopped eating sandwiches for lunch and switched to soup but I just find myself putting like a 1/2 a sleeve of saltines in there which is probably way worse.

[quote name='javeryh']About 10 years ago I took some Ripped Fuel and that shit was like magic[/QUOTE]

Ripped fuel that takes me back! I preferred Metabo-lift (cheaper) and The original Stacker 2 (just 1 pill). Unfortunately you really can't buy those products any more. But you can still make you own ECA stack. With separate ephedrine, caffeine and aspirin pills.

Check your PM.

You're probably plateauing as you're not putting on any more muscle from the weight training--and thus not upping your metabolism (burn roughly 50 more calories a day for each pound of lean muscle you add).

Thus, more than a supplement, tweaking your workouts may get you over the hump.

If you can't change the lifting, up the amount (and intensity of cardio) you're doing to burn more calories. If you can do that and mix up your weight routine and diet to try to get over the muscle building plateau and put on some more muscle and get your resting metabolism up.

Do some very different excercises than you've been doing, do different rep ranges (low rep, medium rep, high reps--whatever you've NOT been doing) to try to shock your muscles out of the plateau and get back to growing. Making sure you're getting the 1-1.5 grams of clean protein per pound you way to help build muscle.

What everyone else said. Most of those pills are either bad for you or are basically laxatives and the best way to lose weight is diet and exercise. You don't have to run 100 miles or anything.. can I suggest some high impact interval training (HIIT)? If you haven't heard that term before, google it. I hate all forms of cardio and forced myself to run in the past but when it was June before it warmed up enough for me to run in the mornings last year I ended up buying a heavy bag so I could work indoors whenever. 5-6 three minute rounds with a minute break inbetween a few times a week. Helps with aggression too :D And don't be scared to lift weights as carrying that muscle will help you burn calories naturally throughout the day.

Diet is my weak spot. I suggest lots of water.. like, LOTS of water. I'll fill up a 20oz bottle about 3 times a day at work alone. Cut corners where you can; you know burrito bowl instead of wrap, green veggies instead of starchy veggies (potatoes, carrots, all the good tasting ones). If you go out to eat, half your food to take home as soon as its served (MOST plates are generous enough for that). I think you can see where this is going.. most of it's been said already if it wasn't things you're already trying.

Vary up your routine when you plateau

[quote name='javeryh']I've been trying to lose these 10lbs for about 10 years. I agree that the pills are a temporary solution but I don't mind temporarily feeling awesome![/QUOTE]

The right nutrition and HIIT will do it if you're dedicated

I do eat whole grain pasta, rice and bread. Cutting my carb intake is probably a good part of the solution. Also, no more alcohol. I don't drink a lot but I probably have 1 or 2 most weekends. I'm going to try baby carrots and bananas at work for the next couple of weeks instead of almonds and see if that does anything. I stopped eating sandwiches for lunch and switched to soup but I just find myself putting like a 1/2 a sleeve of saltines in there which is probably way worse.

Try www.fitday.com and take note of everything you eat. You can find you maintenance calories and cut that by maybe 500. I would also recommend eating more protein, as it sounds like you don't get very much from "I stopped eating sandwiches...switched to soup." Just try to get a bulk of your calories from protein and healthy fats like almonds and fish.

If you need to take a pill, try BetaStax by Bioquest. That stuff got me absolutely shredded in a matter of weeks. Of course combining this with diet and exercise will certainly yield the best results. Anyone who says pills don't work are full of shit. Professional bodybuilders and weightlifters take pills and get results. But they are called "supplements" for a reason...They are meant to supplement your diet and exercise regime.

Well, the bodybuilders are taking steroids, testosterone, HGH etc. as they don't do drug testing in the pro circuits (Mr. Olympia etc.)--and those do work!

I'm sure some of the diet pills etc. do help, but you can probably get similar effects cheaper by taking vitamins and minerals/herbs as most of the pills are just those things thrown together and given a higher price tag.

I never tell anyone not to try supplements, but the only supplements I recommend personally are protein powders.

if you can't lose the last ten, don't... your body just doesn't want to.

you could try two weeks of eating only lean-protein and nothing else, it's worked for me.

[quote name='crushtopher']If you need to take a pill, try BetaStax by Bioquest. That stuff got me absolutely shredded in a matter of weeks. Of course combining this with diet and exercise will certainly yield the best results. Anyone who says pills don't work are full of shit. Professional bodybuilders and weightlifters take pills and get results. But they are called "supplements" for a reason...They are meant to supplement your diet and exercise regime.[/QUOTE]

I never said there are no pills that work...but the ones that do are almost all potentially dangerous. Just a brief google search of Betastax mentions anxiety, headaches, diarrhea, insomnia, increased heart rate, damage to your DNA and raised blood pressure as potential side effects. Also, Professionals are likely doing a lot of crap that will do far more damage to their body in the long run than the temporary benefits. From what I understand, most the over the counter stuff is loaded with caffeine to give you energy. I am sure you are giving the pills far to much credit for your own accomplishments- you got shredded because of your own efforts and dedication.

Also, even if they do work- if you've been carrying 10 extra pounds for 10 years and don't change your habits and have the proper caloric balance to maintain your desired weight you WILL gain all the weight back. You should figure out your bmr to figure out how many calories you need to be eating to sustain your desired weight. As the above poster mentioned, fitday.com is a good free way to track your calories. Also, I would very much disagree with the sentiment that your body doesn't want to lose the weight. I am sure your LDL, HDL, blood pressure, triglycerides, ect. would very much disagree (not that 10 lbs is grossly unhealthy, but losing it would make a difference)

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='javeryh']I do eat whole grain pasta, rice and bread. Cutting my carb intake is probably a good part of the solution. Also, no more alcohol. I don't drink a lot but I probably have 1 or 2 most weekends. I'm going to try baby carrots and bananas at work for the next couple of weeks instead of almonds and see if that does anything. I stopped eating sandwiches for lunch and switched to soup but I just find myself putting like a 1/2 a sleeve of saltines in there which is probably way worse.[/QUOTE]Be careful with bananas, I think that they have an insane amount of sugar. Try and limit it to one a day, or even better to one every few days.

[quote name='caltab']I never said there are no pills that work...but the ones that do are almost all potentially dangerous. Just a brief google search of Betastax mentions anxiety, headaches, diarrhea, insomnia, increased heart rate, damage to your DNA and raised blood pressure as potential side effects. Also, Professionals are likely doing a lot of crap that will do far more damage to their body in the long run than the temporary benefits. From what I understand, most the over the counter stuff is loaded with caffeine to give you energy. I am sure you are giving the pills far to much credit for your own accomplishments- you got shredded because of your own efforts and dedication.

Also, even if they do work- if you've been carrying 10 extra pounds for 10 years and don't change your habits and have the proper caloric balance to maintain your desired weight you WILL gain all the weight back. You should figure out your bmr to figure out how many calories you need to be eating to sustain your desired weight. As the above poster mentioned, fitday.com is a good free way to track your calories. Also, I would very much disagree with the sentiment that your body doesn't want to lose the weight. I am sure your LDL, HDL, blood pressure, triglycerides, ect. would very much disagree (not that 10 lbs is grossly unhealthy, but losing it would make a difference)

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/[/QUOTE]

Just a brief google search also provides dozens upon dozens of people who took the product with great results and no negative effects. And as I mentioned I got shredded with a combo of BetaStax, eating small meals every 2 hours, lifting weights and cardio. I didn't give the pills too much credit but they did provide an extra boost of energy and I also noticed different types of results that I never saw prior to taking any kind of thermogenic. And all the professionals are doing harm to their body if you really think about it. Eating excessively takes a tole on your body. Burning all those calories isn't really what your body was naturally designed to do. If anything, we all should learn to fast and teach our bodies to live off of minimal caloric content.

Best supplement is food. Stop eating more than you burn and you will lose weight.

Edit: Just as important: keep your blood sugar under control.

bread's done
Back