When a Target clearance item rings up $0.00...

lawl

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
I found a DS game that was doing this earlier and the guy said he'd have to charge me what was on the red sticker even tho the scanner was popping back that it would be free. So I just said forget it and didn't try to push it.

Anyone had this happen? Was he just lying cause he wanted it for himself or would it really not go through?

They are not going to give it to you free, just the sticker price. If there is no sticker they can give it to you for the last sold price.

Target's not going to give you free games. When a game rings up at $0.00, it means that it's out of the system and scheduled to be sent back.

You're lucky that he offered to sell it to you at the lowest clearance price, they sometimes won't be willing to sell them at all at that point. Sometimes, if you know that it went lower on clearance than what's on the sticker, you can get them to look it up on their scanner and sell it to you for that price. But that's very YMMV.

They can't ring that up as $0 as it doesn't exist in their system at that particular store. That's why it's coming up as $0 dollars.

I asked this before and was told they can't even purchase it for that price themselves. So you could've gotten a deal on it, if it was cheaper than what's mostly advertised for this said DS game.

62t covers the other aspect of it if there wasn't a sticker on it.....and arcane93 covered the other aspect - LOL.
Had that happen before, friend got $200 camera for $75 bucks. Pretty nice deal.

[quote name='arcane93']Target's not going to give you free games. When a game rings up at $0.00, it means that it's out of the system and scheduled to be sent back.

You're lucky that he offered to sell it to you at the lowest clearance price, they sometimes won't be willing to sell them at all at that point. Sometimes, if you know that it went lower on clearance than what's on the sticker, you can get them to look it up on their scanner and sell it to you for that price. But that's very YMMV.[/QUOTE]
yeah, I should have tried this and probably gotten 90%. It's the GH: On Tour box set, they had a bunch of them sitting at 75% few weeks ago that sold all of a sudden (guessing they dropped to 90), then this one showed up again out of nowhere.

[quote name='lawl']yeah, I should have tried this and probably gotten 90%. It's the GH: On Tour box set, they had a bunch of them sitting at 75% few weeks ago that sold all of a sudden (guessing they dropped to 90), then this one showed up again out of nowhere.[/QUOTE]

It's pretty rare for something to actually stick around long enough to make 90%. More likely that some hoarder came by and cleaned them out, and put them all up on eBay.

Target also sells their clearance inventory to the local Goodwill (or similar thrift store in the area). When massive amounts of clearance from different departments suddenly disappear at the same time, it's likely that's what happened.

If you can find the Goodwill/Thrift Store that your Target sells to (yes, sells...the Goodwill is very clear about this so people understand it's not just pure donation for sale exclusion purposes), then you'll be privy to a nice influx of clearance and store returns from Target.

My most recent purchase was a store return copy of Modern Warfare 2 for $20, but I had to return it after noticing that one of the small scratches it had was actually a crack. Chances are it could have shattered in the 360 during its initial HDD install spin.

Fun Fact: I've seen plenty of items at the Goodwill being sold for more than the clearance price was at Target.

Take it to the service desk and explain the clearance procedure at target, tell them that the item has gone out of the system and that the last clearance price was most likely at 75% off, you can go for 90% off but personally I would only tell them 75% so it doesn't seem like your trying to get something for nothing. This may result in you getting the game for 75% off but they might tell you no otherwise. I have been successful getting out of system items in target with this method.

[quote name='Kerig']Target also sells their clearance inventory to the local Goodwill (or similar thrift store in the area). When massive amounts of clearance from different departments suddenly disappear at the same time, it's likely that's what happened.

If you can find the Goodwill/Thrift Store that your Target sells to (yes, sells...the Goodwill is very clear about this so people understand it's not just pure donation for sale exclusion purposes), then you'll be privy to a nice influx of clearance and store returns from Target.

My most recent purchase was a store return copy of Modern Warfare 2 for $20, but I had to return it after noticing that one of the small scratches it had was actually a crack. Chances are it could have shattered in the 360 during its initial HDD install spin.

Fun Fact: I've seen plenty of items at the Goodwill being sold for more than the clearance price was at Target.[/QUOTE]

We have one Goodwill around by me now(after they all closed up for some reason a while ago)and I've never seen anything from Target pop up there. Then again, I don't hit that store as much as I could, since it's down the line from my house and about 25-30 minute ride to it.:cry:

As a Target employee, I have seen this happen on a number of items.

Solution? Find someone with a PDA/hand scanner (all Target team members should be carrying one, aside from the cash register monkeys up front) and have them scan the item. Two prices should read. One being $0.00 (the one that shows up on the register/price scanners available to the public), the other being the last known price. Sometimes the last known price may be in fact $0.00 -- that doesn't necessarily mean the item is free. As was stated in an earlier post, Target donates or sells these unsold items to thrift stores/local food banks. You can sometimes name your price, which most people usually go for 50% off as to not want to seem like they're ripping the store off.

If I'm on register as a backup cashier, and this happens, I usually try to sell for the last known price. If there is no last known price, we are allowed to sell it at a reasonable price as long as the team lead approves.

It makes me laugh reading about people that don't get free stuff because it rings up $0.00 and they cry about it thinking that Target people keep this shit for themselves. Seriously people, get some common sense. We have plenty of opportunities to buy it day-in, day-out -- and we don't want this crap, which is why it hits the "$0.00" price mark to begin with.

Yeah there are no goodwill's nearby here either, they all closed up, so its not like I can go to my goodwill to get the target leftovers because there is no goodwill. Though they probably donate to goodwill anyways because I am sure they find a store to ship the leftovers to and I am sure goodwill is selling those items through its online store anyways and not in the actual shops.

[quote name='Kerig']Target also sells their clearance inventory to the local Goodwill (or similar thrift store in the area). When massive amounts of clearance from different departments suddenly disappear at the same time, it's likely that's what happened.

Fun Fact: I've seen plenty of items at the Goodwill being sold for more than the clearance price was at Target.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've seen quite a few that were more than the lowest clearance (a few from knowledge, then I started noticing they didn't even hide the old tags on some stuff.) I never knew they actually bought the stuff from Target, so it makes sense.

Still, I've gotten a few good deals. I got a nice copy of MW2 for $5.99 with some dust on it and very small light scratches (looks like the dust was wood or cardboard). Cleaned it off carefully with a LCD rag and well... I haven't bothered testing it. I'm probably going to just dump it off on amazon soon.

I see quite a few PC games and the occassional console return (usually PC), usually still sealed and for a reasonable price. The Goodwill in my old town got a huge influx of sealed GH3 for the 360 for $5.99 each. But by that point, I'd bought it for $7.48. (Don't know if it dropped anymore, that was the last copy my local Target had and that Goodwill had been getting Target stuff for a few years before one moved in within a 50-100 mile radius.)

But yeah, you can find stuff cheaper sometimes. I got a RB brand USB extender for the 360/PS3 for $1.99 (oddly enough they had an identical one in the display case for $3.99.) The last clearance sticker on those was over $5. I ended up trading it to amazon for like $5-ish after realizing I'd never need it.

But they also got in those camera kits (tricorder, etc.) and were $1 or $2 more than what my sister paid for hers. Sadly, they didn't have the good one with the battery charger/batteries in it, which was a steal.

The few times I have tried to buy an out of the system game not tagged for 75% off, I tell them it should be 75% off (since that is the lowest price games will go with a few exceptions of a game that drops past that), and tell them what the 75% off price is and usually they sell it to me for that price.

I think they call over a manager and you get the last price it was at. I once had someone ring it up at 1 cent, but that only happened once.

ive encountered this several times. its actually very annoying because you have very little chance of getting it. they usually go with the sticker price or the usual $19.99.

I've also encountered where they refuse to sell the item at all, for any price. The employee just stated that it should be taken off the floor and cannot be sold. I didn't feel like pushing the issue.

bread's done
Back