GFW Live Weekend deal: Batman AA 75% off

NutManIV

CAGiversary!
Details here...

So it should end up being $12.50. Much better than the GamersGate deal.

EDIT: Major Nelson has confirmed that this deal will be available in ALL regions that have Games on Demand support.

Last edited by a moderator:
After ANNOYINGLY checking the price through the GFW client, the final price stands around $12.50.

NutMan's link also confirms there will be a discounted game on GFW every weekend in March.

I thought because it uses GFWL, you could use your MS points on the game. But I don't think so, only on DLC and stuff like that... =/

It's still not showing up at $12.50 for me in the client. Still shows as $49.99. I'll check back later I guess.

I'll definitely rebuy this for the PC and play through it again on hard at some point. Loved it on the Xbox in Normal mode.

I guess it will double up your achievements, too.

[quote name='kilm']I thought because it uses GFWL, you could use your MS points on the game. But I don't think so, only on DLC and stuff like that... =/[/QUOTE]

i dont even think you can use MS points on GoD games on the 360 either..

Nice. I already got the game with the Steam Eidos Pack though. Have they been doing weekend deals long?

smoger - Actually you can use MS points for games on demand even on 360, you just have to do it through the xbox live marketplace website. When you select to buy a game it gives you the option to change the payment type which you can switch to points. I did it for Mass Effect last week. Not sure if that trick works for GFWL though.

[quote name='GTZ_NSR']Nice. I already got the game with the Steam Eidos Pack though. Have they been doing weekend deals long?[/QUOTE]

According to the first post, this will continue through March. This is the first time I know of they've done it.

wow, yeah, first I've seen of a GFWL sale (well except when some games launched at x-mas for half off)..too bad all the ones that will actually run on my PC I've already got..oh well, good job MSFT! nice find OP!!

[quote name='MannishBoy']It's still not showing up at $12.50 for me in the client. Still shows as $49.99. I'll check back later I guess.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't start until tomorrow, silly.

[quote name='Nohbdy']Doesn't start until tomorrow, silly.[/QUOTE]

Hah, I saw it on Major Nelson's Twitter, and it didn't mention starting Friday, it just said "this weekend", so I assumed he wouldn't be posting it if it wasn't already in place. :oops:

[quote name='kilm']I thought because it uses GFWL, you could use your MS points on the game. But I don't think so, only on DLC and stuff like that... =/[/QUOTE]

You can, when you check out, it allows you to use points instead.

Definitely a great find and a great deal, but I have a feeling that whatever Steam Weekend Deal was planned for this week will change to being a deal for Batman. Oh well, saves me money either way.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Dear Steam. Please match this price or beat it. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

This.

But I'll definitely get it from GWFL if it doesn't before the sale flames out. Thanks OP.

Edited the post to include updated info that the deal will be available in ALL regions that have Games on Demand.

I still have MS Points to burn. Unfortunately, I have the Steam version of this excellent game already. $12.50 is a very good price, though.

I thought you could buy games with MS Points, even through the GFWL client. Can anyone confirm this?

[quote name='EliotAndrews']I still have MS Points to burn. Unfortunately, I have the Steam version of this excellent game already. $12.50 is a very good price, though.

I thought you could buy games with MS Points, even through the GFWL client. Can anyone confirm this?[/QUOTE]

Just looked. You have options on the checkout page for credit card, MS points, or code.

I score great deals on Games for WIndows live. I plug in my wired 360 controller, hook up the pc to the computer and play away. I get acheivement points on xbox live and get to run mods on my Fallout 3 too. Best of both worlds. The graphics(if your computer can handle it) have so far been better than had I played it through the 360.

[quote name='Freeisgood']I score great deals on Games for WIndows live. I plug in my wired 360 controller, hook up the pc to the computer and play away. I get acheivement points on xbox live and get to run mods on my Fallout 3 too. Best of both worlds. The graphics(if your computer can handle it) have so far been better than had I played it through the 360.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, but it would truly be best of both worlds if the multiplayer was cross platform (R.I.P. Shadowrun).

wow, that is a great deal. And with a few more deals to go, I'd better not buy any pc games until they all are revealed or I could be kicking myself.
hmm, catalog could be larger
I'm guessing RE5, Fallout 3, Red Faction: Guerilla, Dirt 2 go on sale for 75% off

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice! I'll pick this up for sure. I sold my 360 version after I beat it, but have since wanted to go back and play it.

Also, Tinker is a fun (and free!) little puzzle game on GFW, and has 200 achievement points for those who care.

[quote name='eddie291']Why does it matter if its on Steam or not? Its not like you'll avoid GFWL by buying it on Steam.[/QUOTE]
A lot of people, myself included, like to have all of their games from Digital Distribution to come from one source. I only have like 2 on Impulse now that I don't have on Steam. Just a preference thing I would say.

I too would prefer Steam, just for convenience's sake, but I'm in for one either way. This is the first good thing to come out of GFWL.

While I like Steam and it IS convenient to use and move installs, this is a GFWL game anyway, so it's not like you'll avoid GFWL just by buying on Steam (although I think there is a program that helps you avoid logging in that was developed for GTA4 use).

For instance, I have Dawn of War 2, and it logs me into both Steam and GFWL. GFWL for achievements, Steam for matchmaking.

Just haven't bought anything from this service before. Only GFWL game I even have is Bioshock 2.

Price is very good, but wondering about re-downloading or installing on multiple PCs or other stuff that Steam has?

[quote name='Nyxaz']Just haven't bought anything from this service before. Only GFWL game I even have is Bioshock 2.

Price is very good, but wondering about re-downloading or installing on multiple PCs or other stuff that Steam has?[/QUOTE]

It ties the game I think to your gamertag and allows redownloading and installing (like you can do with XBLA stuff). I think most of the times it allows installs up to 5x per month, and a lot of the titles use SecureROM.

Okay....so, for those who have used G4WL to buy-to-download - how does this G4WL version of the game work if you buy-to-download from there?

1.Does it download an installer file and some files (like say GOG)?
Or a ZIP file or some kind (like say D2D)?
If so, good - then I can back it up myself. :)

2.Or does it download just the game itself into a folder?
If so - is there a way to archive a game and back it up onto disc (like say Steam or Impulse)?

Ah. Too bad I already own it.

It appears that you can't see the prices of any of the games through the web (or am I missing something here?), and I can't get to the client now. Does anyone have the list of games/prices so we can start wildly guessing what the upcoming deals will be?

As for me, I'm interested in Resident Evil 5, and I'm wondering what it would be if it were 50-75%.

[quote name='MysterD']Okay....so, for those who have used G4WL to buy-to-download - how does this G4WL version of the game work if you buy-to-download from there?

1.Does it download an installer file and some files (like say GOG)?
Or a ZIP file or some kind (like say D2D)?
If so, good - then I can back it up myself. :)

2.Or does it download just the game itself into a folder?
If so - is there a way to archive a game and back it up onto disc (like say Steam or Impulse)?[/QUOTE]

It downloads the games like Steam does. I don't know if they have an official way of creating a back-up disc, but once you've purchased something it is forever tied to your gamertag and you'll be able to redownload it as many times as you want even if it gets taken off the service for some weird reason.

[quote name='jezz.torrent']
Does anyone have the list of games/prices so we can start wildly guessing what the upcoming deals will be?

As for me, I'm interested in Resident Evil 5, and I'm wondering what it would be if it were 50-75%.[/QUOTE]

RE5 is currently $49.99 on GFW. They actually don't have very many games at all on GFW right now. Highlights include Fallout 3, RE5, Bioshock 2, SFIV, Dirt 2, and Red Faction Guerilla. I'd expect any of those to be on sale in the near future.

A bit off topic, but I am trying to use the GFWL client for the first time and having tons of trouble.

Seems like the client is installed, as in I can login with my LiveID but then when I go to purchase something, say Tinker, it keeps telling me to download the client again.

A bit frustrating, anyone got this to work properly? I'm using XP, and was prompted to install a hotfix (which I did). Any other ideas?

My opinion:

Good Price>Buying games from one digital distribution source

Use the money you save to purchase some more RAM to run the Impulse, Steam, and any other clients you need to.

[quote name='52club']My opinion:

Good Price>Buying games from one digital distribution source

Use the money you save to purchase some more RAM to run the Impulse, Steam, and any other clients you need to.[/QUOTE]I would agree with that. I am good on ram, does anyone think 12gb of ddr3 will last me a while? You would think so but I remember when 128mb would be all you need.

I know this is going to sound dumb but I would rather have this on disc. To bad Best Buy or some other place couldn't match it. Also the Joker level did they ever say when that is going to come out for the game on Windows or the 360?

[quote name='sendme']I know this is going to sound dumb but I would rather have this on disc. To bad Best Buy or some other place couldn't match it. Also the Joker level did they ever say when that is going to come out for the game on Windows or the 360?[/QUOTE]
That's not dumb at all, I think the exact same way. But when a game is over 50% off I figure screw the box. I only go for the box if it's only like $5 or even $10 more. But some games like SF4 and GTA4 during the weekend deal; I'd be foolish to pass it up just because I like physically owning them.

[quote name='eddie291']Why does it matter if its on Steam or not? Its not like you'll avoid GFWL by buying it on Steam.[/QUOTE]

Steam has shown to be a reliable, trustworthy, and relatively hassle-free with the installation of games while offering a large number of additional features and benefits to Steam users. The Games for Windows Live client, not so much. Especially with the recent announcement that original Xbox games and the DLC accompanied with them (including paid DLC) will no longer be available in 2 months, buying things from Live Games on Demand seems like a bit more of a gamble than something from Steam.

However, I will say that this is a definite step in the right direction for Games for Windows Live and I'm glad to see they're being at least somewhat competitive on the PC side of things for once. Not quite enough for me to buy it (I'm waiting for it to hit the magical $10 mark, and I would prefer it on Steam if that wasn't obvious), but a good deal either way.

[quote name='sendme']I know this is going to sound dumb but I would rather have this on disc. To bad Best Buy or some other place couldn't match it. Also the Joker level did they ever say when that is going to come out for the game on Windows or the 360?[/QUOTE]

I currently own this for PS3 and I have to say that while the Joker levels are fun for a few minutes, it's basically a gimmick and definitely not worth paying $40 or $50 dollars for compared to $12.

You have to remember that those exclusive "levels" are basically challenge rooms where he hops around and fights ... they aren't story related or anything, which I think is actually one of the strongest aspects of this game. Plus, assuming your PC can handle it, the graphical boost is nice and you get fancy things like cape sway technology that consoles couldn't handle ;).

With that said, I'm currently selling my PS3 copy for $35 plus shipping if anyone wants it ... I know that's a bit higher than Amazon but it's a mint copy, so just pm me if anyone is dying for the console version.

Indeed. I tried the Joker challenges at someone's house, and they are definitely amusing. After you mess around with the character for a bit, though, there really isn't anything there.

I like the game, but I already have it from the Edios pack from the Steam holiday sale. I'm gonna buy it at Target for a hard copy though when it reaches $12.50 just because I want a hard copy for my GFWL collection on my game shelves. :D

[quote name='Edge']Steam has shown to be a reliable, trustworthy, and relatively hassle-free with the installation of games while offering a large number of additional features and benefits to Steam users. The Games for Windows Live client, not so much. Especially with the recent announcement that original Xbox games and the DLC accompanied with them (including paid DLC) will no longer be available in 2 months, buying things from Live Games on Demand seems like a bit more of a gamble than something from Steam.

However, I will say that this is a definite step in the right direction for Games for Windows Live and I'm glad to see they're being at least somewhat competitive on the PC side of things for once. Not quite enough for me to buy it (I'm waiting for it to hit the magical $10 mark, and I would prefer it on Steam if that wasn't obvious), but a good deal either way.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. If Steam had it for $15, I'd take that over GFWL's version. Maybe even at $20.

bread's done
Back