CAG Trade-In Value Tracker - Now In Open Beta

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[IMG-R=5838]12455[/IMG-R]CAGs have been requesting this feature for a long time so I'm pleased to announce that our Trade-In Value Tracker is now available in an open beta. Gamers can now easily browse, search, and submit trade-in values from online and brick & mortar retailers.

Currently, the trade-in value data is entirely user submitted. In the near future, we hope to automate submissions where possible.

Big thanks to CAG jp0213 for the incredible number of submissions.

Other features coming soon:

• Compare pricing data (new/used/tivs) directly from the Trade-In Value Tracker
  • Display relevant trade-in value promotions from the deals forum
As always, your feedback is encouraged!

icontrade.gif
CAG Trade-In Value Tracker

Last edited by a moderator:
You think that you guys could somehow integrate our Collections with the trade in value tracker, and sort of keep a tally and a total so we can somewhat keep and eye on the value of our collection? just a thought

I'm guessing it would be very easy to do something like that, although TIVs may not be the best way to judge the value of your collection.

[quote name='Kingfalcon']Cheapy, what's to stop someone from putting bogus values into the tracker?[/QUOTE]

Submissions go through a moderation queue. Until those submissions are approved by a moderator, they will not appear on the latest submissions section and will be listed as "unconfirmed" when searched for.

Specific users can be given the ability to skip the moderation queue completely. Also, CAG Newbies cannot submit values.

[quote name='reddjoey']Thanks Cheapy.

Are you going to add TRU? or are we considering them a beta?[/QUOTE]We're going to start with these 4 retailers and add more gradually.

I've been loving it. Inputting values from the TIV thread into the database has been quicker using that page.

Great work, Cheapy. This is something everyone has been wanting for a long time and you guys were finally able to make it happen! It sounds like a lot of thought was put into the verification process, too. Thanks!

This is an awesome idea, however I remain skeptical seeing as GS (for example) is constantly changing TIVs, and anyone can edit the prices. Also, I don't really see if moderator approval is going to help or not, unless you count obvious errors that any CAG with half a brain could recognize.

Finally, who knows if the prices people are listing are before/after bonuses/EDGE card/etc?

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer, I'd love to see this implemented properly. Keep up the good work. Guess that's why its in Beta :applause:

[quote name='drktrpr1']This is an awesome idea, however I remain skeptical seeing as GS (for example) is constantly changing TIVs, and anyone can edit the prices. Also, I don't really see if moderator approval is going to help or not, unless you count obvious errors that any CAG with half a brain could recognize.

Finally, who knows if the prices people are listing are before/after bonuses/EDGE card/etc? [/QUOTE]
The verification process that has been put in place for the TIV's has been working so far since he opened the TIVs to be input by users back at some point last year. I really wish I could remember when that was. It's been a very rare item for the values to be wildly out of range on a game because of someone not putting in base value. I think I can only remember about 6 times it happened and they were remedied quickly.

One thing that may seem like a small addition to the system, but is something people in the TIV thread have been asking for, is that when you search for a game getting it to show when the price listed was last updated. Minor thing, but it being there now is definitely a big improvement.

[quote name='jp0213']One thing that may seem small but is something people in the TIV thread have been asking for is that when you search for a game and it comes up, to show when the price listed was last updated. Minor thing, but it being there is definitely a big improvement.[/QUOTE]

Does it not already do this?

[quote name='FluxDF']Does it not already do this?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='CheapyD']He's talking about an earlier version that didn't have the data age indication.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, sorry. Talking about older version. I'm not at my best first thing in the morning. Will fix that wording.

Cool I love them things.

I was thinking the other day it would be cool to track the deals I have taken advantage of on cag. LOL I know last year I blew a pretty penny. It might be impossible just too many. LOL

[quote name='drktrpr1']This is an awesome idea, however I remain skeptical seeing as GS (for example) is constantly changing TIVs, and anyone can edit the prices. Also, I don't really see if moderator approval is going to help or not, unless you count obvious errors that any CAG with half a brain could recognize.

Finally, who knows if the prices people are listing are before/after bonuses/EDGE card/etc?

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer, I'd love to see this implemented properly. Keep up the good work. Guess that's why its in Beta :applause:[/QUOTE]

first off thanks cheapy for helping us all out on getting the biggest return on our video game transactions. whether it be upfront with deals or now on the backend with TIV. maximizing $s spent during TET (tough economic times) is a godsend.

based on recent experience this week i share the same concern as drktrpr1 regarding fluctuating TIVs. amazon's TIV for GTA Eps from LC dropped a $1 in a span of 3 days of my tracking. i don’t think a user/moderator system is the ideal way of approving TIVs as a possible backlog building up around price drops, sales, and TIV deals could outdate values before their reviewed. seeing how the deals forum is reliable through user policing, i think removing the moderator approval before logging TIVs would work too.

thanks again and keep up the great work!

IT would be nice when you search for a game that it shows the TIV from all the retailers instead of just one.

Like i would just type in Bayonetta and the TIV for Amazon,Blockbuster,gamecrazy,gamestop would come up instead of having to choose each seperate one from the dropdown menu.

but overall great job.

[quote name='Limet']IT would be nice when you search for a game that it shows the TIV from all the retailers instead of just one.

Like i would just type in Bayonetta and the TIV for Amazon,Blockbuster,gamecrazy,gamestop would come up instead of having to choose each seperate one from the dropdown menu.

but overall great job.[/QUOTE]

I like this idea. But so far it's an awesome tool. Thanks a lot!

This is what has been missing. Hopefully the integration keeps on ramping up so that it is easier to use this vs. going to a forum thread.

Currently it is a matter of three clicks to get the information I want:
CAG Forums > Subscriptions > Trade-In Thread

Find a way to make it easier/faster than that and I am hooked.

This is going to be an often used feature only if you can add in the following things:
1. Actual date of trade-in quote (in addition to how many hours/days ago)
2. An easy link in the top search toolbar

This is what has been missing. Hopefully the integration keeps on ramping up so that it is easier to use this vs going to a forum thread.

Find a way to make it easier/faster than that and I am hooked.

This is going to be an often used feature only if you can add in the following things:
3. An "ALL" function so you can see all the trade-in values (+Goozex?) as opposed to a single store (it currently takes four+ searches to find this information)
4. A simple or incentive-based way to upload trade-in values, or have a moderator be responsible for this?

[quote name='rywateska']Find a way to make it easier/faster than that and I am hooked.[/QUOTE]

"trade-in values" from the nav bar at the top of the site.

Thanks for all your feedback and suggestions.

[quote name='dc_fortythree']
based on recent experience this week i share the same concern as drktrpr1 regarding fluctuating TIVs. amazon's TIV for GTA Eps from LC dropped a $1 in a span of 3 days of my tracking. i don’t think a user/moderator system is the ideal way of approving TIVs as a possible backlog building up around price drops, sales, and TIV deals could outdate values before their reviewed. seeing how the deals forum is reliable through user policing, i think removing the moderator approval before logging TIVs would work too. [/QUOTE]
1) Soon, Amazon trade-in value data will be automatically pulled and user submissions won't be necessary.

2) Unapproved submissions still appear when you search for TIVs, they are just marked as "Unconfirmed". Currently, they don't appear in the latest submissions area, but I'm sure we can easily change that and just mark them as "Unconfirmed" too.

[quote name='Limet']IT would be nice when you search for a game that it shows the TIV from all the retailers instead of just one.

but overall great job.[/QUOTE]

We will soon be adding total pricing data (used/new/tivs) to the system, much like you see on a individual game's page.

[quote name='rywateska']This is what has been missing. Hopefully the integration keeps on ramping up so that it is easier to use this vs going to a forum thread.

Find a way to make it easier/faster than that and I am hooked.[/QUOTE]

1) Type game name into main CAG search bar
2) Click on game name
3) Look at all pricing data

[quote name='rywateska']
3. An "ALL" function so you can see all the trade-in values (+Goozex?) as opposed to a single store (it currently takes four+ searches to find this information)
4. A simple or incentive-based way to upload trade-in values, or have a moderator be responsible for this?[/QUOTE]
Why is the date better than x days ago?
See above for #2 and 3
It's not simple now? You can enter in TIVs very fast with the current system. I'm not sure how it could be faster. The problem with offering incentives is that you risk enticing people who really don't care about providing real data, they just want the incentive.

I agree that an incentive's based system would be dangerous in regards to accuracy. You would have a mod spending more time trying to clear out all of the bogus data. I think how it currently works, and correct me if I'm wrong Cheapy, is that a price that get's input that is different it shows as uncomfirmed. It then shows as confirmed when someone either input's the same price again or if they click the check mark next to the value if they edit it in that manner. There haven't been too many miscues in that setup. Not saying there isn't room for improvement, just that I haven't seen a huge issue with it currently.

Being able to have the Amazon TIVs pulled directly will be great. I wish there was someone with some pull to get that from GameStop but there is no way they would ever give that kind of information out like that.

[quote name='CheapyD']1) Soon, Amazon trade-in value data will be automatically pulled and user submissions won't be necessary.[/QUOTE]

Cheapy, are you interested in legacy data for Amazon? I have values dating back to August if you're interested and would be glad to provide John with a database dump.

Very nice... CAG is definitely expanding from a site that leaks Sunday ads to a full blown one-stop-shop kind of deal for everything video games. Keep it up.

An amazing feature. Thanks Cheapy and the contributers.
This will help me in the sense if I see a game for $15 or less knowing how much money I'll lose on it if I end up not liking it (at this rate trading in games has become a better option with the stupid eBay and Paypal fees for games under $20).

Pretty cool system hope it get's more and more entries

It's sad but this system shows you just how little you get for your games :p

[quote name='SuxoR']Pretty cool system hope it get's more and more entries

It's sad but this system shows you just how little you get for your games :p[/QUOTE]

its not even worth it half the time.

i took my ps2, all the controllers and memory cards and everything else i had, i had about 90 games for it, and went to gamestop, only got about 350 for everything, granted its an old system, but i was pretty happy, walked out of there with exactly what i was hoping to get for my 360, but when you think about how much spent on the ps2 stuff and how much its really worth in reality, it is indeed sad. how a 50 dollar game, can be worth 50 cents in the course of a few years.

Why can't CAG Newbies post data? I live in the UK, and the only other CAG who is posting data for the UK is John. I have some trade-in data for the UK, but I can't post it. This means that the two games currently on the Trade In Value Checker for the UK won't have other games joining them on that list. If I post the values here can someone add them for me, because otherwise they might become out of date.

Here are the values, taken from Gamestation in the UK on Sun 28th Feb:
Mass Effect 2(Xbox 360) -£25
MAG (PS3)- £25
Army of Two: The 40th Day (PS3, 360)- £22
Grand Theft Auto: Tales From Liberty City (360) -£20
Fifa 10 (360) - £18
Uncharted 2 (PS3) - £18

[quote name='shaxster']Why can't CAG Newbies post data?[/QUOTE]
We can make individual exceptions to the rule. Please PM John and see what he says.

Amazon trade-in values are now collected automatically. User submissions are no longer necessary. We will be changing the interface soon to reflect this.

Are the gamestop TIV's accurate? I saw that they are taking Bioshock 2 (XB360) for $40. Is that with the 50% extra trade in credit? In the 50% TIV thread it shows that they are giving $25 dollars for it. I'd really like to know which is correct... : /

[quote name='xflamingtaco']Are the gamestop TIV's accurate? I saw that they are taking Bioshock 2 (XB360) for $40. Is that with the 50% extra trade in credit? In the 50% TIV thread it shows that they are giving $25 dollars for it. I'd really like to know which is correct... : /[/QUOTE]
That is with the extra 50% and EDGE card bonus. The $25 is the correct base value. With user submissions, sometimes people don't input the base values.

bread's done
Back