- - - - -

NCAA Football 11 - Locomotion, Pro-Tak, Dynasty Wire, & More - July 13 - Demo Out Now

#31 stocker08   Socially Awkward CAGiversary!   1312 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 18 June 2010 - 02:58 AM

I played a friend in this demo and got beat several times in a row. Doesn't help that he is the least graceful winner ever.

Prior is WAAAYYY too good. Faster than every player on the field, breaks multiple tackles, and has a knack for throwing amazing, no look, running backwards passes. Drove me nuts.

I set AI to All-American for our games, yet my computers were horrible. Play recognition was absolutely broken for them. QB would scramble and the computer would simply watch until he was 5 yards across the LOS. I really hope that this is fixed. Prior is pretty much a cheat at this point.

#32 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   67199 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 19 June 2010 - 10:39 PM

Some new blog posts:

Recruiting Logic

One of the biggest changes to Dynasty Recruiting this year is a new setting allowing control of the difficulty. It has four options: Freshman, Varsity (the default setting), All-American, and Heisman. What you will see as you increase the difficulty is the computer controlled teams will maximize the amount of points they earn each Phone Call. In turn, you really need to be on your game on Heisman mode to sign the Top Prospects.

A huge part of the Recruiting Logic is making the Prospects have a more realistic approach to what school they are going to attend. To accomplish this, we made a few changes to the Prospect’s thought process. First, before a Prospect can pick his final school, he has to have his Top 10 in order. Second, the better a Prospect is, the more it takes to get him to come to your school. Finally, for some Prospects staying near home is a major deal, and it should give those close schools an advantage. To ensure this happened, we did the following:

1. Worked on the logic each Prospect uses to decide what schools he will consider for his Top 10 at the start of a season. The objective was to limit the amount of lower caliber Prospects that were filling their Top 10’s with the best schools in the nation. Now, they take the Team’s Needs and Prestige more into account.

2. In years past, each recruit was given an equivalent point total that would have to be met before signing with a school. The process now bases the total number of points upon the recruit’s caliber - meaning, a 1 Star Prospect is significantly easier to sign than a 5 Star Prospect.

3. There is now a chance that a Prospect will have a bonus to any school close to home. For some of the Prospects, every school in their home state will get a different amount of extra points when he is created.

Posted Image
Example of a Top 10 start for a top Prospect in Week 1.
Posted Image
Example of a Home Town bonus in Week 1.

Once Prospects were working properly we moved on to the CPU Teams and how they recruit. In years past, the CPU has not been very competitive in Recruiting. To ensure they would provide a challenge, we changed how the CPU goes about all aspects of Recruiting; from how they order their Recruiting Board to how they pick which Prospects they are going to call:

1. CPU Teams will now go for Instant Commits more often. If a Prospect has their school number 1 in his Top 10 list, the CPU will be far more likely to offer a Scholarship for that chance at an Instant Commit

2. CPU Teams will reorder the Recruiting Board more often and ensure the best players are near the top of the board. Team Needs is still a big part of filling and ordering the Recruiting Board, but the Caliber of the Prospect is going to have a significant impact upon ranking.

3. The logic behind how the CPU calls prospects has been completely reworked. If the CPU wants a Recruit, they are going to start spending the maximum amount of time possible early and often until he signs. At the same time they are much smarter at giving up on Players they do not have a shot at signing, so they don’t waste Recruiting Time. The real key to this rework is how the system changes over the course of a season. For example, early in the Season it’s still anyone’s game for most Prospects, so they will continue to call a Prospect even if they are behind to try and make up ground. As the season progresses, that gap gets smaller and they really start to focus on Prospects they can get to commit.

New Stats and Trophies:

It was just awesome! I’ve rambled on long enough; let me get the last few details into this blog before I break the size limits. We also added a bunch of new Trophies to Dynasty Mode and started to track Half Sacks and Assisted Tackles for every player. Here is a list of the new Trophies:
* Walter Camp
* Nagurski
* Ray Guy
* Biletnikoff
* Outland

Play Calling

Basic vs. Advanced Play Calling
Since every player, no matter what skill level, has to be comfortable with the play call screen, it's important to be as flexible as possible so that a novice player can understand what they are doing. However, we also want the hardcore audience to have full control of their playbook. In NCAA Football 11, you will have two different play call styles: 1.)'Basic' for the novice players and 2.) 'Advanced' for all the guys Bobby Bowden referred to as "PlayStation All-Americans." The screenshot below shows the 'Basic' play call screen. Here you will be able to cycle through a series of plays pre-selected based on the situation. The only options available in this mode are selecting a play, bluffing your call, and flipping the play. You will notice that in the bottom right hand corner of each play we have added a Run/Pass tag to quickly identify what type of play you are calling. This is an extremely simple and easy way to select plays, and will give newer players the ability to quickly and easily call plays without confusion.

Bluff Mode
When playing a head to head game on the same console it's important to bluff the play you are calling so that your opponent doesn't see your play selection. There are two ways to bluff your playcall. First, you can hold the A button down on the play you want to run and continue to cylce plays. Once you release the A button, the play you initially selected will be the play you are running. The other option is to hold down LT, to bring up the bluff play view. In this view you will be able to move left/right between plays but will not have the option to change formations. The Bluff Mode view also allows you to cylce through 3 plays at a time so you can quickly find the play you want.

Here's a look at the bluff play screen:
Posted Image

Gameplan
Gameplanning makes its return to play call with a few new additions. The previous options remain, but we have created additional gameplan options to help get your team to play exactly how you want them to. We will talk about these additions in an upcoming blog, but for now here's a look at the offensive gameplan screen.
Posted Image

Offensive Personnel
I've held my favorite update to play call for last. In previous versions of the game you knew how many skill players your opponent had coming out of the huddle, but you never knew who they had coming out for the next play. As you will see below, you will not only see the skill personnel that will be breaking the huddle, you will also see the jersey number of those players. The best part about this is that if your opponent tries to get sneaking and sub in his lightning fast corner back to try and beat you with a streak, you will know he's on the field before you select your play.
Posted Image

Dynasty Wire

Dynasty Wire
In its most basic terms, the Dynasty Wire is your central source for the stories in your Online Dynasty. The latest story is the first thing you see when you enter the dynasty or access the Dynasty website, which helps keep the Dynasty fresh since that lead story can be different every time you get into your Dynasty. There are three basic types of stories: Weekly Updates, Game Recaps, and User generated stories - and I'll get into each of these in a bit. First I wanted to give a quick example of what you might be greeted with when you access your Dynasty from both the console and the web:

Console:
Posted Image
Web:
Posted Image

The first thing you see when you enter your Dynasty is an image from the story, the headline and caption for the story, and on the web you can see the body of the story and the comments right from the front page. On the console you have the ability to shuffle through the 5 most recent stories from the main Dynasty hub. From here you can access the actual Dynasty Wire, which is the list of available stories from your dynasty, broken up by week (including a list of the latest stories no matter what week they are from), and segmented out by the Dynasty Season. This allows you to quickly and easily find the story you want and get update on what's hit the Dynasty Wire since you last checked:

Posted Image

Posted Image

From here you can select any available story to get all of the details. As I mentioned above, this is a complete archive of the stories from the length of your Dynasty. So if you are in week 7 of year 10 you can go back and see the stories that were created in week 2 of year 3 if you want. I'll get to the best part about what this allows you to do a little later in this blog.

Comments

Each story allows you, the members of the Dynasty, to participate in an active discussion by using the comment system. Members can comment from both the web and the console, so no matter where you are you can be a part of the discussion. Comments are all tied to the story they were created in, and you can see how many comments a story has from the Dynasty Wire view, as well as know when the last comment was posted so you will always be able to find where the hot topic is located. Here's a screenshot of the comments from the console:

Posted Image

So now that you know the basic structure of how stories are viewed, let's dive in to how these stories are created.

Weekly Updates

Every time the week advances, a Weekly Update story will be created that recaps the events from the previous week and sets up the news for the current week for each human controlled team. These recaps show the results of last week's game, who each team is playing in the current week, and for you recruitniks, which prospects from your recruiting board have committed in the past week. The best part of this is that the recap shows anyone from your board that's committed, even if it was to another school. I'm a fan of this because I always want to know when a prospect I was after has made their commitment, even if it wasn't to my school. This same recap is displayed on the web, and is one of the emails alerts you can sign up for to help keep you connected to your dynasty.

Posted Image

Since these updates are a central point for all members of the Dynasty, this is a great place to try and coordinate a game time for a head to head game. Use the comments to tell your opponent when you want to play to help move the scheduling along. Or if you are controlling Oklahoma in the scenario above, you can taunt Texas about how you are absolutely crushing it in recruiting.

Game Recaps

After every human controlled game is played, the recap of that game is created and posted to the Dynasty Wire for everyone to see. This recap contains the stats from your game (Scoring Summary, Team Stats, and Player Stats) as well as the highlights from your game. Five photos from your game are automatically created and uploaded, and you have the ability to create up to five additional photos and save off up to five video highlights from your game that will be uploaded for you. In total, each game played can have up to 15 highlights showing off the action from your game. Since we automatically create and upload those photos, even if you don't feel like adding additional highlights to your recap, every game will have some media attached to it for everyone to view. Each recap has a headline and caption automatically generated for you, which you can then edit from the web to say exactly what you want. The cherry on top of all of this is the ability to go to the web and write up your own text recap of what happened in the game. This is your blank slate to tell everyone just what happened in your game. Since it's never fun to type using a controller, the headline, caption, and story body are editable on the web instead of the console. Here's a look at what the full story details look like on the console:

Posted Image

All of the highlights are inside of this screen, so you can shuffle through highlights, read the story, check out the stats, and view/add a comment all from this one screen. The web is structured in the same way so that all of the contents of that story are located in one spot.

User Generated Stories

Where the stories really take on a life of their own are in the User Generated stories. Here, Dynasty members can create a story about anything they want. Absolutely anything (as long as it passes the profanity filters) can be a subject for your story. Sign the top prospect in the nation? Let them hear all about it. Win the Heisman? What better way to rub it in than to create a story with that player's greatest highlights. About to play your biggest rival? Create a preview story filled with highlights from previous contests. The beauty of these stories is that you have every highlight that's ever been uploaded in your dynasty available for use when creating a new story. Did the greatest player in your dynasty just graduate? Create a story about their career where you pull in highlights from their freshman, sophomore, junior, and senior years. As I said earlier, Dynasty Wire is your archive for every human game played in the Dynasty. If you have a 12 man Dynasty, with a 13 game a year schedule, and every game has 15 highlights saved, for all 60 years of a Dynasty you would have 140,400 highlights at your fingertips when going to create a story. While this is the absolute extreme scenario, the fact still remains, if you want to write a story, there's a great shot that you will have the visuals to support that story.

The user generated stories are laid out exactly like the game recaps in the same, easy to digest format. Here's an example of a user generated story from the web:

Posted Image

On the left side you will see that the stories about USC are all grouped together for quick access so you can jump from story to story about the same school.
StoryBuilder

Now that we've shown you what the stories look like as finished pieces, let's go into the actual creation process using the StoryBuilder. When you want to create a story from scratch, or edit your game recap you will need to head to the website to utilize the StoryBuilder feature. Here you will be able to edit all of your text and add/remove highlights as well as update the order that those highlights are displayed.

Here's a screenshot of the StoryBuilder:

Posted Image

And let's take a look at that same story once it hits the Dynasty Wire:
Posted Image

Facebook and Twitter

If it's not enough for you to share your stories with the other members of your Dynasty, you can publish stories out to your Facebook and Twitter accounts. The world is your audience, and you can let them in on all the fun you are having. If you beat a good friend in your Dynasty, why should the other members be the only ones that can enjoy your ridicule? You've got to embarrass them in a true public forum. Since each story has its own unique URL, people outside of your Dynasty will be able to directly link to the story you want them to see. What's the point of telling your story if everyone can't listen?

#33 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16899 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 20 June 2010 - 12:06 AM

Has anybody else confirmed onside kicks being really easy to recover? I haven't had a chance to download the demo yet, but I've been curious about it. Obviously, if it's something EA is going to have to patch, there's no sense in buying the game till said patch is released. I could see online play being an onside kick fest until then, haha.

#34 BigAT   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1069 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Posted 20 June 2010 - 01:37 AM

Has anybody else confirmed onside kicks being really easy to recover? I haven't had a chance to download the demo yet, but I've been curious about it. Obviously, if it's something EA is going to have to patch, there's no sense in buying the game till said patch is released. I could see online play being an onside kick fest until then, haha.

For what it's worth, I've heard that the demo is a build from over two months ago and that the build at E3 was essentially final build. I have no idea if they fixed things in that time period, but it's entirely possible that they did.

#35 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16899 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 20 June 2010 - 02:31 AM

For what it's worth, I've heard that the demo is a build from over two months ago and that the build at E3 was essentially final build. I have no idea if they fixed things in that time period, but it's entirely possible that they did.

Ehhh...that's not good enough for me. Not with the luck I've had with sports games lately (NHL 10, MLB 10: The Show, UFC 2010). I'm sick of patches, and sports games have made me cynical, lol. I'll wait to hear what the consensus is after it's out.

#36 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   67199 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:39 PM

http://ncaafootball....gId=DemoUpdates

They detailed the bug fixes they have made to the build from when they finished the demo to the day that it went gold:

On Monday the 14th, the demo for NCAA Football 11 was released on Xbox Live and the Playstation Marketplace, and so far the impressions have been overwhelmingly positive. But some are wondering, is the Demo truly NCAA Football 11? It came out a month before the game is due to hit shelves, so does that mean we put another month of work into the game after that? Yes it does! As a matter of fact, we finished the demo on the 1st of May and finished the game on the 1st of June. In this blog I will address some of the differences between the demo and the final product.

What's Been Done Since the Demo?
The following is a list of the most common issues reported on the demo that will not occur in the retail game:
• On Xbox 360, the Reese's Perfect Play of the Game will not always be the final play. As some of you have already speculated, we temporarily save off highlights to the hard drive during the game so you can view them later, however this is not something we are able to do in the demo.
• The CPU team will now decline penalties.
• Front four defensive linemen will generate a better pass rush. There are many contributing factors to this that have been tweaked. CPU defensive linemen will rush the pass more aggressively and will not get thrown to the ground as often when "losing" to the blocker. Defensive ends will also do a better job of getting off their blocks at more appropriate angles to help contain a scrambling quarterback. Additionally, you can always tune the pass rush to your liking using the AI sliders if you still feel it is lacking (or overpowered) in the final product.
• A major issue was fixed where the sound would cut out and eventually cause the game to freeze.
• Pass defense has been greatly improved, both in man and zone coverage assignments. They will do a better job defending crosses, slants, and the flats in man coverage. Also, deep zone assignments have been improved to defend against the deep pass. Like the pass rush, you can further tune this to your liking using AI sliders.
• Improved lead blocking by pulling linemen and fullbacks on tosses and sweeps.
• Fixed an issue where place kickers were getting subbed out for (usually) quarterbacks on kicks.
• Fixed issue where the commentary would occasionally sound garbled on Xbox 360.
• Dual Stick Ballcarrier Control has been improved, making R-Stick moves look and feel more responsive. Also made some visual improvements with turning and leaning animations.
• Fixed some issues that caused receivers to drop catches they should have made. Again, this is also something that can be tuned further using AI Sliders.
• Quarterbacks will no longer stutter when scrambling and crossing the line of scrimmage.
• Fixed several situations where the wrong team was celebrating after a big play.
• Playcall will not suggest going for a 2 point conversion when it shouldn't.
• In general, we made defenders a little better at getting off blocks. This helps in defending against outside runs and quarterback scrambles as mentioned before.
• Fixed several camera issues on kickoffs, including the one where the camera would not follow the ball on the ground.
• Fixed a broken play where the quarterback would get stuck in his handoff animation and just run backwards away from the line of scrimmage.
• Fixed FB Fake HB Toss play so the quarterback will not toss the ball behind the running back.
• Improved head tracking for ball carriers, receivers and defenders.
• Fixed some issues with auto replay cameras where it was too low to the ground and was not focusing on the correct targets.
• More general tuning was done on option plays to make them run smoother.
• Fixed an issue with playcall where it was not remembering the last formation you called.
• Fixed an issue where receivers couldn't make a tackle quickly after an interception.
• Removed an exploit that would allow for "Rocket Catches".
• Fixed an issue where the CPU Ballcarrier would continue to cover the ball during long runs, even if no defenders were near.
• Defenders will now be able to press receivers when they are in preplay motion.
• Fixed an issue where defenders would turn the wrong way on curl routes.
• Fixed an issue where defenders in man coverage would make a bad direction change after pressing the receiver.
• Tuned some out-routes out of the backfield that were too effective against man coverage.
• Fixed an issue where linebackers would stutter in pre-play and would get stuck.
• Fixed some issues with players bumping into each other during preplay adjustments.
• Fixed some issues where defenders would get caught offsides a lot against the no huddle.
• Fixed the issue causing a delayed whistle in post play.
• Fixed an exploit that disables bump and run after a play is flipped, causing coverage to go back to normal.
• Fixed an exploit that allowed you to consistently recover onside kicks.
• Adjusted CPU AI for kick returns so that they will not attempt to catch kickoffs that are headed out of bound.
• Improved CPU clock management so they will call a timeouts properly to set up a late field goal.
• Fixed an issue where the Read Option would not be executed properly from the hash marks.
• Numerous Commentary Fixes and Additions.
• Various other tweaks and tuning to improve general gameplay.

Thank you again for all the terrific feedback. I hope you continue to enjoy the demo until July 13th, when you can pick up the full retail version of NCAA Football 11.

#37 BigAT   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1069 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Posted 21 June 2010 - 10:23 PM

In case anyone hasn't seen already, Dell has a preorder for $40 shipped as well as 10% BCB.
http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=265145

Frisky, any idea when you'll be making the thread for the new season?

#38 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   67199 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 22 June 2010 - 01:36 AM

Probably when I get the game and can spend some time with the online dynasty mode, which should be late next week.

#39 Steggy   Shhhhhhhhh CAGiversary!   7546 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 22 June 2010 - 04:27 AM

Probably when I get the game and can spend some time with the online dynasty mode, which should be late next week.

really looking forward to this :D

#40 MSUHitman   Checkmate Arcade Co-Host CAGiversary!   14076 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 22 June 2010 - 06:26 AM

Why did they get rid of Corso?

Also is it REALLY worth putting out a demo that buggy? People not in the know are going to assume that stuff isn't fixed when the full game comes out. If that many bugs are found a in a month, I don't want to know what wasn't caught.

#41 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16899 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 22 June 2010 - 06:48 AM

Also is it REALLY worth putting out a demo that buggy? People not in the know are going to assume that stuff isn't fixed when the full game comes out. If that many bugs are found a in a month, I don't want to know what wasn't caught.

This. I'm aware that I've become cynical as hell with sports games lately, but I just can't feel good about developers saying "Don't worry! We caught the 25 odd bugs that made it through to the demo! Haha, we got em!" I mean, kudos to EA for finding them this "early" I guess, but it doesn't really reassure me that the final product is going to be solid. I'm very much "wait and see" at this point. I'll let those less jaded than me see if the game is glitch free right out of the gate.

#42 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   67199 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 22 June 2010 - 05:15 PM

Why did they get rid of Corso?

People not in the know probably didn't notice much of anything at all since you kind of have to be looking for issues to really notice them. These aren't really issues in the demo since they finished it and the game before anybody actually got to play it, so these bugs were the natural bugs they'd fix in the last few months of development anyway.

I know nate would complain loudly if no demo was released along with many others that expect pre-release demos for their sports games, which like any game out there will be from an unfinished build of the game. The benefits outweigh the negatives for them.

It's dumb to even think the game could be glitch-free, as no game is ever glitch-free.

#43 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16899 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 22 June 2010 - 08:34 PM

It's dumb to even think the game could be glitch-free, as no game is ever glitch-free.

Yeah, but there's a difference between "Oh, the logo is on the wrong side of the helmet" and "Wow, they can get the ball back whenever they want". I know the list said they fixed the onside kick problem, and that's good. But if there's anything else like that in the game (ie. a game breaking exploit that will need to be patched), it's not worth $60. Plain and simple. Hopefully there's not, but I've grown weary of sucking off developers based on their own hype machine.

#44 SeanAmI   No you cannot CAGiversary!   2154 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 22 June 2010 - 08:37 PM

Just wait for the reviews and the first week out feedback then. The guys that make NCAA usually come through better than the other EA sports guys.

#45 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   67199 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 22 June 2010 - 08:59 PM

Yeah, but there's a difference between "Oh, the logo is on the wrong side of the helmet" and "Wow, they can get the ball back whenever they want". I know the list said they fixed the onside kick problem, and that's good. But if there's anything else like that in the game (ie. a game breaking exploit that will need to be patched), it's not worth $60. Plain and simple. Hopefully there's not, but I've grown weary of sucking off developers based on their own hype machine.

Then wait for the reviews rather than preemptively complain about the issues you don't know about.

#46 MSUHitman   Checkmate Arcade Co-Host CAGiversary!   14076 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 22 June 2010 - 09:22 PM

Also I would say the run blocking, which is supposed to be one of their most improved features, varied from the usual crap to actually pretty decent in my demo experience, plus the play of the game always being the last play are things that anyone would notice right away. I see those things are improved from what the demo was, but I would assume if I didn't know better that was exactly what it would be in the retail game when it's not.

I understand it's a no-win situation in demo vs. no demo, but when the developers are saying you should buy our games at full retail or you have to pay us extra to play online or even just get roster updates, and then their demo comes out 1 month before the retail release and they have to brag about finding and eliminating 40 bugs, that doesn't make me feel confident about the full game.

In regards to Sean's point, only 2 sites really get into the nuances of issues with sports games, OS and Pasta Padre, and OS won't say anything negative or let their users say anything negative about a game or they'll ban you. IGN and the like try to make their sport game reviews for everyone instead of concentrating on the issues fans are going to care about.

To Frisky's point, I would still say the JRPG lineup from 08 (Lost Odyssey, Tales of Vesperia, and Valkyria Chronicles) show that games can be completed in this era without being bug-filled and needing patches as soon as they hit retail shelves. If that's too much of an apples and oranges comparision, I don't remember any game breaking bugs in All Pro Football 2K8, Blitz The League 2, or either of the Forza games.

#47 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   67199 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 22 June 2010 - 09:43 PM

The play of the game thing is one of those things that I'd think anybody that's reasonable would realize that it's because of the limited time demo that it's not showing anything but the last play.

Bragging? They posted it because people were complaining about how broken the game is, so they had to show that they noticed and fixed that stuff in the last month of development.

Also, OS/Pastapadre fans and the average fan you were talking about are completely different in what they need to hear about how good a sports game compared to its predecessors.

So you're saying that if I do a google search for any of those games, that I wouldn't find at least a few people running into glitches? Not patching it doesn't mean that it's a perfectly-made game. Just looking at the Lost Odyssey thread here, I found the last post to be about an audio glitch.

#48 SeanAmI   No you cannot CAGiversary!   2154 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 22 June 2010 - 10:14 PM

I haven't been on OS for so long, I used to go there alot back when it was Madden Nation, and Pasta Padre was just a normal member on the site. Oh the good ole' PS2 Socom games.

To be honest, every point you have MSU is over exaggerated. Banning for negative attention, cmon.

#49 NinjaPenguin777   LEO CAGiversary!   5852 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

NinjaPenguin777

Posted 22 June 2010 - 10:15 PM

The average Pasta Padre fan's thoughts all revolve around the Madden release date and roster updates

#50 MSUHitman   Checkmate Arcade Co-Host CAGiversary!   14076 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 23 June 2010 - 12:39 AM

I haven't been on OS for so long, I used to go there alot back when it was Madden Nation, and Pasta Padre was just a normal member on the site. Oh the good ole' PS2 Socom games.

To be honest, every point you have MSU is over exaggerated. Banning for negative attention, cmon.

Nate and I can both attest to anyone saying anything remotely negative about a game on OS to have their threads closed or to be banned from the site. They walk on eggshells not to piss off devs so they continue to post there.

Frisky I just don't think Joe Average sports guy knows that they had a month to fix stuff from a demo vs. the retail game. Working next to a Gamestop and going over there quite often I run into these types of gamers all the time. For example, I was at Gamestop on Saturday afternoon after work and some teenage guys came in and saw the UFC demo on the 360 and acted like they didn't know the game was out. That was 1 month ago it had come out.

You're right maybe bragging wasn't the right word, but I think this demo has done them more harm than good. It'll still probably be the top game of July, but I have a feeling Crackdown 2 is going to be hot on their heels.

#51 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16899 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 23 June 2010 - 01:00 AM

Either way, we'll all find out once the game is out. This game will either stand tall as an example of how to do a sports game right, or we can toss it on the pile of "...but we can patch it!" games that seem to keep making their way to shelves lately. I'm fine with waiting on community feedback (and not paying any attention to media reviews...which don't look deep enough to find problems) after the first week or two the game is out.

#52 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   67199 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 23 June 2010 - 01:17 AM

Frisky I just don't think Joe Average sports guy knows that they had a month to fix stuff from a demo vs. the retail game. Working next to a Gamestop and going over there quite often I run into these types of gamers all the time. For example, I was at Gamestop on Saturday afternoon after work and some teenage guys came in and saw the UFC demo on the 360 and acted like they didn't know the game was out. That was 1 month ago it had come out.

And how would those guys know what half of the stuff on the list is, much less recognize it in the demo? The average person wouldn't see the list to even know that there's something wrong nor would they play the demo for anything other than to see if it's fun enough to buy it?

#53 MSUHitman   Checkmate Arcade Co-Host CAGiversary!   14076 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 23 June 2010 - 03:25 PM

And how would those guys know what half of the stuff on the list is, much less recognize it in the demo? The average person wouldn't see the list to even know that there's something wrong nor would they play the demo for anything other than to see if it's fun enough to buy it?

I noticed a fourth of those problems in playing all 4 matchups in the demo, many of them in the first game.

It's like the new Transformers game. I saw some people on my friends list with it so I thought I would try the demo I hadn't played yet. Tried to get into 2 games, first time I was disconnected from the host before I could get to a lobby, second time it froze my system. Restarted and deleted the demo and now the only way I'll play that game is if I get it for free.

In contrast you look at demos like Bioshock 1 and Batman: AA that are so good and so close the actual final game that you instantly want to buy them after playing the demo. A good demo can sell a game, a bad one can kill it.

If EA was smart they'd patch the demo (it can be done) to fix all the issues they found, or they should pull it now and put up a new version closer to the game's release.

#54 SeanAmI   No you cannot CAGiversary!   2154 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:12 PM

Nate and I can both attest to anyone saying anything remotely negative about a game on OS to have their threads closed or to be banned from the site. They walk on eggshells not to piss off devs so they continue to post there.

You're right maybe bragging wasn't the right word, but I think this demo has done them more harm than good. It'll still probably be the top game of July, but I have a feeling Crackdown 2 is going to be hot on their heels.

I like both you guys, but Nate isn't the most non confrontational and I doubt sarcasm and f-bombs will be tolerated on other message boards like they are here and you have a nack for the hyperbole.
In this day of gaming its sad, but true that you have to expect day one patches on almost all games. From games like Red Dead to NCAA, you just have to wait and see if they were true to their word and fix it.

#55 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   67199 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 24 June 2010 - 12:46 AM

I noticed a fourth of those problems in playing all 4 matchups in the demo, many of them in the first game.

It's like the new Transformers game. I saw some people on my friends list with it so I thought I would try the demo I hadn't played yet. Tried to get into 2 games, first time I was disconnected from the host before I could get to a lobby, second time it froze my system. Restarted and deleted the demo and now the only way I'll play that game is if I get it for free.

In contrast you look at demos like Bioshock 1 and Batman: AA that are so good and so close the actual final game that you instantly want to buy them after playing the demo. A good demo can sell a game, a bad one can kill it.

If EA was smart they'd patch the demo (it can be done) to fix all the issues they found, or they should pull it now and put up a new version closer to the game's release.

You're not the average consumer, so your experience doesn't relate to what the average person sees. Your example weren't even aware that UFC 2010 was even out, much less that there was a demo, so how likely would they be aware of any issues that NCAA 11 might have?

There's no way that Tiburon would go back to the old demo build to patch in all of those fixes, nor would they spend the little time that there is to make a new demo out of the final build with the game coming in a few weeks.

#56 MSUHitman   Checkmate Arcade Co-Host CAGiversary!   14076 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 24 June 2010 - 08:37 AM

That post you put up Frisky said they finished the game on June 1. So are they on vacation now or why couldn't they work on updating the demo if the game has already gone gold?

Oh well this will still be the No. 1 selling game of July, although I will be interested to see how much of a dent Crackdown 2 puts in NCAA's lead over the competition.

Now I guess, after watching a gameplay video on IGN from E3, it's time for me to critique EA's "improved" commentary for Madden once that thread gets going.

#57 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   67199 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 24 June 2010 - 09:36 PM

They were probably preparing for E3 once they finished the game, which they wouldn't be back until Monday and they could be doing a number of things now (working on an update/patch, pre-planning for NCAA 12, working on DLC if they haven't already started on that, or something else).

#58 BigAT   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1069 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Posted 29 June 2010 - 02:28 AM

So the word is this might be getting released early (7/6).

http://www.pastapadr...1-early-release

To kind of give some backing to that, the estimated delivery date for my Dell order is showing as 7/9.

#59 JKM78613   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   1 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

JKM78613

Posted 29 June 2010 - 07:40 PM

So the word is this might be getting released early (7/6).

To kind of give some backing to that, the estimated delivery date for my Dell order is showing as 7/9.

According to posts on OperationSports, it was just a typo from Wal-Mart's ad department.

Many are saying the same thing about their Dell.com orders, so I guess it remains to be seen.

#60 Regian   Jerkface McGillicutty CAGiversary!   1121 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:58 PM

Figured I'd let you guys know that I'll be interviewing Ben Haumiller, a designer for the game on my Blog Talk Radio live show on the 9th. If he allows it, I'll take calls during the show.