Suggestions for a really cheap ass computer?

B

Blackout

I need some help picking out a really cheap ass computer. My grandma wants to get a computer (desktop) for her home. Computers are not my area of expertise so I really don't know what to help her get.

Any suggestions? We're looking for something that's not expensive. Maybe in the $300-400 range? Even cheaper? Again, this isn't for gaming, work, etc. She doesn't need some high powered machine here, just the bare bones to get the job done. It'll need a monitor, keyboard, etc because she doesn't have any of that either.

Any help would be great. :)

Bought my current pc at Best Buy, and i was there a while back, they have them there all day at that price range. Sometime this year im upgrading since its been almost 4 years since i bought mine... my HP/Compaq has done very well, no breakdowns...

A popular solution to this is to pick up a barebones starting point and add whatever you need that you can find.

A quick glance at newegg turned up this Foxconn barebones kit:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856119013

Includes a dual-core atom processor, onboard everything.
109$

You will still need to pick up a hard drive, a dvd drive, and some ram. Along with the standard kb.mouse.card reader (if needed).monitor

This single stick of 2gb is the cheapest I could find on newegg (i'm not trying too hard here just giving you some ideas):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820208344
2gb is the most the barebones mobo can support, its ddr2 800 which is faster than the mobo supports, but the dd2 533 is a couple dollars more, and the faster memory is perfectly useable, it will just be going at 533 speeds.
40$

Depending on how cheapass you want to be, you could get away with using a flash drive for your hard drive. 20$ is about what you'd spend on a 16gb, otherwise you need a SATA drive.

Heres a 3.5 80gb 7200 sata seagate:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148231
35$

Lightscribe CD/DvD burner, standard 30$ ish
Heres one:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=27-106-335
32$

So we're at 216$+shipping for the core cost.

Microsoft Optical Mouse can be had for 10$ or less.
random google search shows it for 11$ here:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/459024-REG/Microsoft_69H_00001_Comfort_Optical_Mouse_1000.html

Another 10$ for a MS keyboard:
http://www.compbargains.com/_e/Keyboards_Keypads/sproduct/11046949/Microsoft_Wired_Keyboard_500.htm

So now we're at about 236$ + shipping.

Our last two items are the monitor and some speakers.

The true cheapass can combine these into a single purchase. This monitor from some company I've never heard of offers speakers built in at a low price. The resolution isn't the greatest, but it does support at least 720, and I don't know how well the cpu/onboard graphics would do at a higher resolution. No DVI, but guess what? The barebones doesn't have a DVI port, so no loss there.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254042
112$

Speakers are probably shit, so you could look into a 2 or 2.1 sound system for cheap. Probably add 20-30$ for this.

This brings our total to about 350$ for everything. 375 if you want some external speaks.

Now, you might be able to get a better deal buying a premade computer, but I never do that and don't know the route you would go. However, 350$ for a "decent" computer is pretty damn good. It'll play media up to 720p without issue. Obviously its good for email and photo storage and word processing.

Don't think you'll be able to upgrade this at all apart from the hard drive.

----------------------------------------------------
Final parts list:
Foxconn barebones kit with Atom 330 Dual Core - 109$ +12.83$ shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856119013

Transcend 2gb Stick DDR2 800 Memory - 40$ + 5.99$ shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820208344

Seagate HDD 3.5' 80gb 7200 8mb cache - 35.99$ + 6.29$ shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148231

LiteOn LightScribe everything Burner - 31.99$ + 1.99$ shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=27-106-335

Microsoft Optical Mouse - ~10$ + ? shipping
Search around, but heres a link
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/459024-REG/Microsoft_69H_00001_Comfort_Optical_Mouse_1000.html

Microsoft Keyboard - ~10$ + ? shipping
Search around, but heres a link
http://www.compbargains.com/_e/Keyboards_Keypads/sproduct/11046949/Microsoft_Wired_Keyboard_500.htm

Hanns·G Widescreen LCD Monitor (1366x768 native) with Speakers - 112.99$ + 8.99$ shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254042

Total Price:
~350$

Grand Total with Shipping:
~386$

Now, after I've gone through all that, I'd suggest getting her a netbook.

They can be easily had for between 200-300$ and removes the building process for you. She doesn't need anything powerful? Get a cheap netbook.

crystal, you're the man. Thanks for all that work. I don't know if I'd go that route though because of the building process.

Are there any more of those super small desktops out there?

Do they have the same performance as a desktop? I noticed in the reviews it's missing a CD drive, so I probably won't get those kinds of models.

thats such a general statement that you can't really answer it. theres nothing inherently more powerful about a desktop. there aren't as strict size and heat limitations in a desktop so you have more freedom and the ability to make your own meaning that people will have more powerful desktops than their laptops, but there are laptops more powerful than some desktops. the reason a desktop is usually preferred to a laptop is the price/performance ratio.

so yes, they have the same performance of a desktop, because they are a desktop. they just use a small case because they aren't meant to be expanded/upgraded so theres no need for the extra room of a mid or full tower case. thats not what they're made for.

even so, they're all still computers. a netbook being at the bottom of the power tier simply because they are a computer designed with a specific goal in mind, and that goal doesn't include playing games and hi-def media. its exactly the sort of goal you need to make when building a desktop.

you say you don't need a high powered machine, something to get the job done, what job? what do you need this computer to do? what would be nice for it to do?

you've at least given a budget which is a good start, but as you've seen, even building your own, 400$ is tight considering you have nothing to work with (no base parts).

I think the term we're looking for here is 'nettop'. Which are basically netbook in a desktop form. Nearly all of them lack a CD-ROM and are somewhat underpowered. As much as they fit the OP's budget, I'm leaning toward recommending against them, but again they have their very specific purposes and would definitely fit some people's needs.

Building is out of the question as well so I'll just ignore recommending that as well.

Since you live in Chicago, you have 2 Microcenters in your area. I would check them out for cheap computers as they have some older model desktops in the $150 - $250 range. You can browse the ad here. Some of the $300ish computers include a monitor, otherwise you can throw in one of the Acer 18" LCD for like $100.

She would be using the computer to surf the internet, email, store pictures, and maybe listen to music. For starters, she doesn't even know how to use a computer, so I would have to show her the ropes. :)

SOS thanks for the Microcenter suggestion. I'll have to stop in there and browse in the next week or two and see what they got.

She doesn't know how to use a computer? Pick up a refurb mac mini then. It'll be the least scary experience she could have. And the safest for her too. And she'll not hate the computer.

Before i get blasted for being a fanboy, please keep in mind that I've built 4 computers in the past 6 months and all of them run windows. (My comp is a hackintosh so it runs both but the others are windows only.) Macs are easier to use and safer for newbies.

I'm not getting a Mac because I don't have a lot of experience with them.

If you can use a computer you can use a mac. Your inexperience isn't a good excuse. They're the ones whose inexperience you should be thinking about.

"Hey sonny, can you explain how this mac works? I'm trying to do this, but its not working."
"No grams I can't!
"Well then I guess I'm fucked sonny, why did you buy me this piece of shit?"
"I'm sorry grams T_T"
"Get out of my house."
"T_T"

"Hey sonny, can you explain how this PC works? I'm trying to do this, but its not working."
"Yes grams, I can, as I have experience with PCs and know exactly what to do!"

Sounds like he's keep her in mind to me.

[quote name='torifile']If you can use a computer you can use a mac. Your inexperience isn't a good excuse. They're the ones whose inexperience you should be thinking about.[/QUOTE]

He wants something cheap. What would make you even suggest a mac. Macs aren't cheap.

[quote name='crystalklear64']"Hey sonny, can you explain how this mac works? I'm trying to do this, but its not working."
"No grams I can't!
"Well then I guess I'm fucked sonny, why did you buy me this piece of shit?"
"I'm sorry grams T_T"
"Get out of my house."
"T_T"

"Hey sonny, can you explain how this PC works? I'm trying to do this, but its not working."
"Yes grams, I can, as I have experience with PCs and know exactly what to do!"

Sounds like he's keep her in mind to me.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Like I said I have very limited experience with Macs, their setup, system, keyboard configuration, etc. I just started using them at school for the first time and I'm lost. I'm not going to get her something I have no idea how to use, especially since I'm going to be the one showing her how to use it.

[quote name='Blackout']Exactly. Like I said I have very limited experience with Macs, their setup, system, keyboard configuration, etc. I just started using them at school for the first time and I'm lost. I'm not going to get her something I have no idea how to use, especially since I'm going to be the one showing her how to use it.[/QUOTE]

I've had some experience with the elderly and computing.

If you want to go cheap get the netbook - Connect it to a nice big KB and I would suggest a TRACK BALL mouse - not a regular one...since they may have trouble with the mouse that most ppl find commonly to use.

There is an older woman on my street that I helped awhile back with her PC. She mostly wanted it for email and webcam chat with her family and cooking recipes and such.

She has a $100 Netbook with a $25 monitor and a KB and a trackball mouse. She uses Chrome and had installed aVast for anti-virus, zonealarm for firewall and after 2 hours of telling her what to do and not to do when it prompts she's been good ....an occasional call here and there but otherwise she's been good for about 1 year and change.

I would take some time and teach your grandma the little you do know to help her out and have her actually send you and email all by herself so that you can respond and such.

The digital divide is great with some of the older generation so they need a smooth hand to guide them.

Hehe. Thanks. I know how to use a computer pretty good, but I don't know the specs all that well.

I think I'm going to just have to take a trip to Microcenter and see what I find and report back.

I've been checking on Dell for anything (I bought mine there, but for a lot more cash). So far I haven't found too many in that price range. Any thoughts on this one? I would like to order from them though since I've had a nothing but good experiences.

So, you're afraid you can't figure out how to do what? You said all she does it email, web stuff and listen to music. It's not fucking rocket science... I guarantee you that you'd be able to figure out how to open an attachment on a mac much easier than you will be able to figure out why her browser window won't get small in windows after she went to that bad website...

And this is Cheap Ass Gamer. We find things cheap that normally aren't. You're in Chicago, you'll be able to find a cheap Mac on Craigslist. I bought, just last month, a nearly new Mac mini for $360. Everything included and still was covered under Apple's (stellar) warranty. You get what you pay for. Don't discount the Mac just because you haven't had the 2 weeks of familiarity learning it.

[quote name='torifile']So, you're afraid you can't figure out how to do what? You said all she does it email, web stuff and listen to music. It's not fucking rocket science... I guarantee you that you'd be able to figure out how to open an attachment on a mac much easier than you will be able to figure out why her browser window won't get small in windows after she went to that bad website...

And this is Cheap Ass Gamer. We find things cheap that normally aren't. You're in Chicago, you'll be able to find a cheap Mac on Craigslist. I bought, just last month, a nearly new Mac mini for $360. Everything included and still was covered under Apple's (stellar) warranty. You get what you pay for. Don't discount the Mac just because you haven't had the 2 weeks of familiarity learning it.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but I'm not interested in getting her a Mac. I know you have a hard on for them, or own stock in Apple, or some other bizarre reason you keep pushing Macs even after stating why I wasn't going that route, but I just don't think it's going to happen.

Sorry, but I'm not interested in getting her a Mac. I know you have a hard on for them, or own stock in Apple, or some other bizarre reason you keep pushing Macs even after stating why I wasn't going that route, but I just don't think it's going to happen.
Dont be such an ass. As I said when I first made the suggestion, I like macs but I've also got a number of windows computers. There are certain jobs for which each are better suited. I mean, I do post in a forum about gaming on a PC. And that probably means I don't solely use a Mac.

Just because you're insecure about your ability to use or learn to use Mac doesn't mean it isn't the best choice for people new to using a computer. But nevermind. Sorry I overestimated your ability to learn a new system. Go on and buy them that piece of shit nettop and watch as they learn to hate using it. It'll be fun.

I will add that you asked what a good computer for them would be, not for you would be. And most unbiased people would tell you that that would be a Mac.

[quote name='torifile']Dont be such an ass. As I said when I first made the suggestion, I like macs but I've also got a number of windows computers. There are certain jobs for which each are better suited. I mean, I do post in a forum about gaming on a PC. And that probably means I don't solely use a Mac.

Just because you're insecure about your ability to use or learn to use Mac doesn't mean it isn't the best choice for people new to using a computer. But nevermind. Sorry I overestimated your ability to learn a new system. Go on and buy them that piece of shit nettop and watch as they learn to hate using it. It'll be fun.

I will add that you asked what a good computer for them would be, not for you would be. And most unbiased people would tell you that that would be a Mac.[/QUOTE]

Jesus buddy chill out. You come in to a thread about a guy looking for suggestions and force your own ideas on him? That is the most pathetic thing I've even heard. I mean god, I knew Apple fanboys could be pretty savage but this... this is hilarious. I mean the thread title immediately eliminates Macs from the equation (See cheap)

Even if that emachines pc is crap, walmart has that same PC with a monitor for $298. All I ask, is that you don't buy her a PC from Aldi. NO!!

[quote name='torifile']Dont be such an ass. As I said when I first made the suggestion, I like macs but I've also got a number of windows computers. There are certain jobs for which each are better suited. I mean, I do post in a forum about gaming on a PC. And that probably means I don't solely use a Mac.

I will add that you asked what a good computer for them would be, not for you would be. And most unbiased people would tell you that that would be a Mac.[/QUOTE]

:rofl: You must be Steve Job's boyfriend. You have to be.

Why would you not want to get a Mac?

How many people do we know that have Windows computers that are clogged up the wazoo? 500 icons on the desktop, IE clutter with Spyware/Bloatware/malware, runs slow as crap?

For us, who were born with the rise of the internet, we know how to avoid it. We know not to click on certain things, not to open emails from people we don't know, not to open attachments from these people, how to avoid dangerous websites.

Refurb Mac mini would be the way to go. If you're not using it for much, just for Word Proc/Browsing/Email, there is almost nothing new to learn. The only thing I had to learn was that "ctrl-click" = "right-click." Once you get over the fear that it's not Windows, it practically holds your hand when you want to do anything. I'd also trust their reliability over HP and eMachines and maybe every brand except for Dell and Gateway. If you're not great with tech support, the visits to the technician will kill your wallet.

If you DIY, you need to put in the time to understand what you're doing--and the systems listed don't include the cost of Windows which is another $100-$150. If you want Outlook, that's another $80, whereas Mac comes with Mail and iCal already integrated. (Windows has Outlook Express for Mail, though.)

And if after a several weeks you still don't like OS X, well, Boot Camp and run Windows XP.

Yes, we're CAG. Cheap doesn't necessarily mean immediate low-monetary cost. Look at the long-term, look at software, look at reliability, look at the time cost of learning/assembling.

FYI, I don't have a Mac and I don't plan on getting one. If it were up to me, I'd recommend Macs to the older generation and people who do simple stuff, Windows to tech-savvy people in my generation, and Ubuntu for the kids. =)

bread's done
Back