Game of Thrones discussion thread - Season 5 debuts April 12th

Anexanhume

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
game-of-thrones.jpg
The moment many of us have been waiting for is here. Tonight is the premiere of the Game of Thrones TV series on HBO. Use this thread to discuss each episode. Please make sure to mark all spoilers. While a lot of us have read the books, and know what to expect, many of the people that may come in here might not have. So out of respect to them make sure to keep the spoilers hidden.

What: A fantasy series based on the popular books by George RR Martin
When: Sundays at 9pm EST on HBO
Why you should watch: Much darker than what most people think of as fantasy. You won't find any elves or fairies, any magic is very low key, and the focus is on political drama between the noble families. A very dark story where no character is safe.

Links

Official Site: http://www.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/index.html
Viewiing Guide for GoT newbies: http://viewers-guide.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/?cmpid=ABC794
HBOGO signup and partners page: http://www.hbogo.com/#signup/

Season 4 first trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xZY43QSx3Fk

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still waiting to see if they have the pure number of actors to pull this off. I greatly look forward to seeing someone killed, and then show up in the next scene immediately, in a very Monty Python sort of way.

Didn't really enjoy the book as the people who recommended them to me. I hope the series turns out well. I haven't been disappointed in an HBO show in awhile.

fuck. YES.

There was no chance at HBO not picking this up. Apparently one or two of the guys who had the final decision started reading the books and became obsessed with them. The good thing is now George is on a timetable and has to focus more on this series than his 5,000 side projects.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']fuck. YES.

There was no chance at HBO not picking this up. Apparently one or two of the guys who had the final decision started reading the books and became obsessed with them. The good thing is now George is on a timetable and has to focus more on this series than his 5,000 side projects.[/QUOTE]
Seriously. I'm all for people taking their time and making something the best it can be, but he needs to hurry it up just a bit...

[quote name='Strell']I'm still waiting to see if they have the pure number of actors to pull this off. I greatly look forward to seeing someone killed, and then show up in the next scene immediately, in a very Monty Python sort of way.[/QUOTE]

Reminds me of Deadwood where the same guy (Garret Dillahunt) played two roles. Surprisingly well though, I must say. Coincidentally, that very same actor is a huge fan of the books and is trying to get a part. With him already being HBO alumni, I think he's got a good shot.

I just imagine people spoiling themselves when they look up characters/actors on IMDB and see someone's credentials as "King's Landing Guard #34, Wildling Husband, (central pivotal ____ Family character)."

Also, you know who needs to play Sansa? No one, that's who. Because she's a terribly useless character.

I dunno. I have to give them credit - that's a pretty specific kind of whore. And these books are chock full of 'em.

Not how I pictured Daenarys, Cersei, or Drogo. But I'll wait to see how they pan out regardless. Much faith in the Tyrion though.

Geez, I read these books last year and I'm already have a tough time remembering everyone.

I think McShane would be better for Mance Rayder. Some other SoIaF fans want him to play Randyll Tarly. Personally, I think that part should be the guy who played that asshole Robert "Rocket" Romano on ER.

[quote name='Strell']
Also, you know who needs to play Sansa? No one, that's who. Because she's a terribly useless character.[/QUOTE]

You may see her that way early on, but she has an important role. For one, her experience beautifully captures the reality vs. fantasy of being a lord's daughter, and she could go on to play a pivotal role later on. I fully expect something important to happen while she is with Baelish.

I've read all four and she's barely progressed as anything more than an idealistic annoyance. Every person I've ever talked to who has read these books all agree that every Sansa chapter was preceded with an audible Awww fuck. And then the fourth book was a doubleteaming of Sansa and Cersei?

That's the first time I needed liquor to finish reading a novel.

Yeah I actually like Sansa. I hated her in the beginning, but as the reality of the world has started to hit her I think she's a very interesting character. She lived in this gilded cage her entire life and now she's seeing how cruel the world really is.

[quote name='Strell']I've read all four and she's barely progressed as anything more than an idealistic annoyance. Every person I've ever talked to who has read these books all agree that every Sansa chapter was preceded with an audible Awww fuck. And then the fourth book was a doubleteaming of Sansa and Cersei?

That's the first time I needed liquor to finish reading a novel.[/QUOTE]

I'll agree on the fourth book. Seems like his last minute split deprived it of the best POVs, but ADWD should be great with Daenerys, Tyrion and Jon as POVs.

The cool thing is they should "reorder' everything in books 4 & 5 for the show. Put everything back into chronological order.

I didn't mind Sansa as a character. I thought her scenes with the Hound were some of the best. The purpose of her character is to be a spoiled girl that learns the harsh realities of life, but has trouble accepting it all, unlike her sister. I think she's going to transform from a girl who thought life was a fairy tale to a master manipulator that would put Cersei to shame. She's essentially learning the trade from Littlefinger.

A couple more people cast:

Ser Gregor "The Mountain That Rides" Clegane
Conan-Stevens-201x300.jpg

Conan Stevens. Big news! He was the #1 fan favorite pick. And had been trying to get a role for quite some time. I think he auditioned for Khal Drogo and got passed on. But it clearly a better fit for Gregor...being that he's 7' tall.

Syrio Forel, Arya's fencing teacher.
miltos-yerolemou-236x300.jpg

Miltos Yorelemou

Rast
lukemcewan1.jpg

Luke McEwan

Samwell "The Slayer" Tarly
john-bradley-west-240x300.jpg

John Bradley West

Two more roles filled.

Ser Barristan "the Bold" Selmy
esizeian-mcelhinney.jpg

Ian McElhinney

Littlefinger
aidan-gillen-234x300.jpg

Aidan Gillen (Tommy Carcetti from The Wire)

This is going to be fucking great. Great casting for Littlefinger.

Now let's hope Martin is done with Dance by this time next year.

[quote name='Fjordson']This is going to be fucking great. Great casting for Littlefinger.

Now let's hope Martin is done with Dance by this time next year.[/QUOTE]

No chance he ever finishes this series

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Two more roles filled.

Ser Barristan "the Bold" Selmy
esizeian-mcelhinney.jpg

Ian McElhinney

Littlefinger
aidan-gillen-234x300.jpg

Aidan Gillen (Tommy Carcetti from The Wire)
[/QUOTE]

A good way to keep up with the casting info is winter-is-coming.net I've found.

[quote name='Fjordson']This is going to be fucking great. Great casting for Littlefinger.

Now let's hope Martin is done with Dance by this time next year.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Looks a lot like I imagined him. I honestly think George will finish this year. He already has enough manuscript pages to make it the second longest book and he has an upper limit he can't go beyond. So, unless he edits and rewrites it to death, the end is in sight IMO.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Varys the Spider
000b5z9y

Conleth Hill, looks nothing like I envisioned Varys.
[/QUOTE]

clean him up and a little make up and i can see it working.

Announcement from HBO:

GAME OF THRONES

HBO Entertainment
Season one will total 10 episodes
Production is based in Belfast, Northern Ireland and is will begin principal photography on July 26, 2010.

“Game of Thrones” has received funding from Northern Ireland Screen and will shoot in the Paint Hall studio, Belfast, as well as various locations in Northern Ireland. A second location for production will be Malta with assistance from the Malta Film Commission.

LOG LINE:

“Game of Thrones” is a new original HBO series based on George R.R. Martin’s best-selling novels. In a world where summers span decades and winters can last a lifetime, the Westeros crown comes with a price. Betrayal, lust, intrigue and supernatural forces shake the four corners of the Kingdom, from the scheming south and the savage eastern lands, to the frozen north and the ancient Wall that protects the realm from the darkness beyond. Kings and queens, knights and renegades, liars and noble men vie for power in the bloody struggle for the Iron Throne.

SERIES CREDITS:

David Benioff Executive Producer
D.B. Weiss Executive Producer
Carolyn Strauss Co-Executive Producer
Guymon Casady Co-Executive Producer
Vince Gerardis Co-Executive Producer
Ralph Vicinanza Co-Executive Producer
George R.R. Martin Co-Executive Producer
Mark Huffam Producer
Frank Doelger Producer
Marco Pontecorvo Director of Photography
Alik Sakharov Director of Photography
Gemma Jackson Production Designer
Michele Clapton Costume Designer

The pilot was written by David Benioff and D.B. Weiss. The writers of the series are: David Benioff & D.B. Weiss (seven episodes), Bryan Cogman, Jane Espenson and George R.R. Martin (one episode each). “Game of Thrones” is based on the series of books “A Song of Ice and Fire” by George R.R. Martin.

The pilot director was Tom McCarthy. Series directors include: Brian Kirk, Daniel Minahan and Alan Taylor. Other directors will be announced as they are confirmed.

SERIES REGULARS IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER:

Mark Addy as King Robert Baratheon
Alfie Allen as Theon Greyjoy
Sean Bean as Eddard “Ned” Stark
Emilia Clarke as Daenerys Targaryen
Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as Ser Jamie Lannister
Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister
Michelle Fairley as Catelyn Stark
Aidan Gillen as Littlefinger
Jack Gleeson as Joffrey Baratheon
Iain Glen as Ser Jorah Mormont
Kit Harington as Jon Snow
Lena Headey as Cersei Lannister
Isaac Hempstead-Wright as Bran Stark
Harry Lloyd as Viserys Targaryen
Richard Madden as Rob Stark
Rory McCann as Sandor Clegane (Hound)
Sophie Turner as Sansa Stark
Maisie Williams as Arya Stark

FEATURED CAST IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER:

John Bradley as Samwell Tarly
Ron Donachie as Ser Rodrik Cassel
Jerome Flynn as Bronn
Conleth Hill as Varys
Jason Momoa as Khal Drogo
Donald Sumpter as Maester Luwin

GUEST CAST IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER:

Josef Altin as Pyp
Gethin Anthony as Renly Baratheon
Ciaran Bermingham as Mord
Esme Bianco as Ros
Susan Brown as Septa Mordane
Dominic Carter as Janos Slynt
Antonia Christophers as Mhaegen
Kate Dickie as Lysa Arryn
Roy Dotrice as Grand Maester Pycelle
Emun Elliott as Marillion
Lino Facioli as Robin Arryn
Jefferson Hall as Ser Hugh of the Vale
Derek Halligan as Alliser Thorne
Rhodri Hosking as Mycah
Margaret John as Old Nan
Finn Jones as Ser Loras Tyrell
Dermot Keaney as Gared
Francis Magee as Yoren
Joseph Mawle as Benjen Stark
Brendan McCormack as Ser Vardis Egan
Ian McElhinney as Ser Barristan Selmy
Luke McEwan as Rast
Kristian Nairn as Hodor
Rob Ostlere as Ser Waymar Royce
Eugene Simon as Lancel Lannister
Jamie Sives as Jory Cassel
John Standing as Jon Arryn
Conan Stevens as Gregor “The Mountain” Clegane
Peter Vaughan as Maester Aemon Targaryen
Miltos Yeromelou as Syrio Forel

I still look forward to these principle players showing up later in the series as extras.

"Look! It's (prominent family member)! I knew he was still alive!"
Naw dood, that's just King's Landing villager number 864.

OMG, so many new castings. Bronn looks awesome. Tonight my night will be wasted on Google Images, lol.

Holy shit, this show is going to be so fucking epic.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']tried to google the actor playing hodor, but didnt get any good pictures. oh well.[/QUOTE]

Kristian-Nairn.jpg

HODOR!

There's a rumor the guy that played the creepy caretaker (the guy with the cat) in the Harry Potter movies is going to play Lord Walder Frey. Hope it's true because that would be an excellent choice.

http://www.makinggameofthrones.com/

Some HQ pics from EW. One DEFINITELY looks like
the scene where Arya is being punished for hitting Prince Joffrey and Sansa's wolf gets put down, another picture shows her with the wolf.

Peter Dinklage is probably going to be a lock for an Emmy win.

Looks so fucking good. Becoming more and more impressed with Addy as Robert and the Dany casting.

Sean Bean as Ned and Dinklage as Tyrion seem really good, but that's not a surprise.

Has there been any sort of inclination as to when this might hit next year?

Has anyone else viewed the 10-minute special from HBO? GRRM spoke, and for the last four years I've mistakenly pronounced "Catelyn Tully/Stark." It's "kah-teh-lin" not the "kayt-lyn" I've pronounced it in my head over the last many years. :oops:

I pronounced it Kate-Lin. But George's pronunciation actually makes sense since she was referred to as "Cat" by a lot of people, primarily family and Littlefinger.

I notice some changes. Like "the Others" being called "White Walkers" now, probably because Lost used Others so much it would have been odd to hear that word so much in the dialog.

I'm kinda glad I read the books first though. Season 3 is going to blow peoples minds with one event in particular (those who read the book know what I'm talking about). And it'll be awesome if they can combine books 4 and 5, then split them up chronologically, making the show have extra value due to George having to turn one book into two because it was literally too big to bind without falling apart when people got home to read it.

It sucks though because I'm moving and won't have cable. I'll have to have somebody DVR them in HD for me.

bread's done
Back