Steam - Midweek Madness: Indie Games. ($2 each, $9.99 for all) "Altitude" and more!

EliotAndrews

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
I'm surprised no one's posted this, so I may have simply missed the topic somewhere.

Midweek Madness: Indie Games.
indiegames_spotlight2.jpg

Several independent titles available for just $2 each or $9.99 for all 7: Gridrunner, Space Giraffe, Bullet Candy, Bob Came in Pieces, Altitude, Super Laser Racer, and Galcon Fusion! (Sorry, nothing like Braid or Defense Grid; Those got their $2.50 deals during the Holiday Sale.)

I'm interested, since $2 is an excellent price for any single game. However, I don't see anything truly worth picking up. Your thoughts, CAGer's?

Available MetaCritic Scores:
Altitude (78)
Gridrunner Revolution (79)

UPDATE: Bitter1961 has informed us that Bullet Candy Perfect is available for as low as $1 from the author's official website. The "Perfect" edition features better graphics, and comes with the Windows, Mac, and Linux versions.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the verdict on these games. They seem interesting, but somehow I think I might be happier with the two dollars.

I can only speak for Bullet Candy, which is pretty cool. The rest have demos I think so I'm gonna give them a crack.

I added the MetaCritic scores, and I believe Altitude won some indie awards recently. I stand by what I said before, though: Putting badly-drawn breasts on your game's logo art (Altitude) seems like pandering; I get the feeling there's an uninteresting game hidden behind them.

Woop, bought the whole shebang. Love these cheap shotgun deals on indie games, bound to like something out of the pack, and I get a kick out of fiddling with everything anyway.

And speaking of Defense Grid, the Steam version just got updated with the 4 bonus maps the 360 version had, which is nice.

So far, Bob Came in Pieces seems like the most interesting choice, making a Lunar Lander / Metroid hybrid. Everything else seems like a pass.

At least I've got the time to consider it all. Thanks Steam!

Finally an Indie bundle where I don't already own even one of the games! I'm jumping on this bundle, it's a great price considering I have heard good things about most of them, and they're all games I've been curious about.

Gridrunner and Space Giraffe are two I've been eyeing for a while, but they have been hovering around $15-$20 for the last year -- I assumed they'd go on sale eventually, after being added to Steam a few days ago, but not this cheap and this soon! They're by Jeff Minter, which should be a familiar (retro) name to quite a few, and there's been quite a lot of love for them on the various indie-friendly sites.

Bob Came In Pieces has gotten pretty good reviews too. Playing the demo, I was disappointed that it didn't have a thruster/lunar lander control feel to it, but was instead more a platformer with unlimited jump height. But I can see how adding heavy gravity and momentum would make it a totally different game than the puzzle game they're going for.

I've heard decent things about all of the others, not of universally loving praise for all of them, but still good, and would have considered any of them if they'd popped up at $2 by themselves. I don't think any of the games in this pack have had the breaking-into-the-mainstream success of titles like World of Goo or Braid, but they're all fairly well known indie titles, not just filler. Altitude was Steam's top selling under-$10 title after it came out, and Galcon Fusion is the sequel to an IGF Mobile winner that has been doing quite well on the iPhone and as a Flash game on the web, for example.

But if you're just looking at Bullet Candy you can get the newer improved Bullet Candy Perfect straight from the author for any price you want, starting at $1. It's basically the same game, but with improved graphics and compatibility, so it's probably a better choice than the old version on Steam.

I'm not familiar with some of these but Gridrunner Revolution is definitely worth $2.00 if you like psychedelic shoot-em-ups.

Besides Steam eating up my wallet
I really do enjoy that they are exposing these indie games
Altitude is like TF2 in air (sorta)

Thanks OP! bought the indie pack. 7 games for $10 and in the process, give indie gaming some love, why not?!

I am sure I can find $10 worth of fun somewhere, if I ever find the time to play them...

steam plus all current consoles/handhelds is more than my spare time can handle.

Was going to be buying every one of these games when I got some cash...guess I don't have to wait, now :) thank you steam...just played an hour of altitude and it rocks

This deal is incredible. I was already planning on rebuying two of my favorite games through the recently-added Llamasoft combo pack for $15. Hooray for procrastination.

Gridrunner Revolution is beautiful. Highly recommended, if you have even a passing interest in zone-induced gameplay.

Space Giraffe - if you've been put off by the XBLA version, the PC version includes a new mode that is much more playable. It's well worth the reinvestment.

And 5 more to-be-explored games for just $6 more...this is my Steam deal of the year.

I tend to buy indie games that I am really interested in immediately, which means that indie game pack sales are a waste on me. This one is great because I don't have any of these games yet. Of course that means that I'm not particularly interested in any of them, but still, for $10 I can't go wrong.

I do like trippy retro visuals, so I should find at least one good game among Space Giraffe and Gridrunner and Galcon and Bullet Candy and Super Laser Racer.

And I heard some really good things about Bob Came in Pieces on Rock Paper Shotgun: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/01/26/wot-i-think-bob-came-in-pieces/

So, yay!

EDIT: Just played a bit of Bob Came in Pieces. Its really adorable and fun so far. Puzzler game with really nice mechanics.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was looking at Altitude for $7.99 during the Steam Holiday Sale and decided to wait for it to drop more. At $2 I'm definitely gonna pick it up, thanks OP.

I'll have to check out the demos.

The deal is fantastic, though I'm a little put off by how similar a lot of the games look visually. I may have to pick and choose rather than pick up the pack.

I was initially skeptical, but Altitude is great...very addictive gameplay and I normally don't even play multiplayer games.

Thanks OP. Had a friend of mine show me this on IRC beforehand though, and looking at screenshots, I'll be diving in for the whole package.

I do have one question though. I don't deal with steam much (I think I bought a total of 3 or 4 things for it), and was wondering how long this deal was active for. If I was at the house, I would've bought them already, but being on public wifi (internet's down at the house for the next couple days until our new provider is set up), I'm a bit weary on making an online purchase for the moment unless I absolutely need too.

So today only. Damn, kind of what I feared. I was hoping midweek was like Tuesday through Thursday or something.

[quote name='JStryke']So today only. Damn, kind of what I feared. I was hoping midweek was like Tuesday through Thursday or something.[/QUOTE]

Today is Wednesday. The deal is through tomorrow.

Definitely picking up Gridrunner Revolution and Space Giraffe (which I likes on XBLA). Thanks OP.

Picked up Altitude, played it for 15 min, pretty fun. Gonna see if I can get some of my friends into it, get some voice chat action going on too.

Thanks for posting. :)

Almost forgot to check Steam this week, and I'd been interested in Bob Came in Pieces for a while. The gameplay was very nice from what I'd played in the demo.

Altitude is rock solid awesome. For $2 it is a no brainer. It also has a demo if you are on the fence.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Gridrunner Revolution was the best PC game of 2009. This is one of the most amazing deals in Steam history. Wooooow.[/QUOTE]

I bought the pack basically just for Gridrunner and Space Giraffe, figured some of the others would be fun... but I fired up Gridrunner Revolution last night just to check it out and got sucked in for like an hour.

Amazing game, definitely worth picking up on its own, at least. (especially if you're a Minter fan, if you're not it's a bit wacky until you get used to it...) Sheepie save!

[quote name='Justin42']I bought the pack basically just for Gridrunner and Space Giraffe, figured some of the others would be fun... but I fired up Gridrunner Revolution last night just to check it out and got sucked in for like an hour.

Amazing game, definitely worth picking up on its own, at least. (especially if you're a Minter fan, if you're not it's a bit wacky until you get used to it...) Sheepie save![/QUOTE]

Fluffy pretty sheepie, bless. :)

I tried some demos out and read some reviews and ended up picking up Gridrunner and Bob Came In Pieces.

Almost got Altitude as well, but I just don't think I would end up playing a multi-player 2D plane combat game often enough to justify it (at 2$, that means I might never play it at all).

All your silly talk of sheep in a shmup led me to search for an old game I had played and nearly forgotten. Llamatron 2112
683697.png
. Hmm...says here it was developed by...Llamasoft?! Makers of Space Giraffe & Gridrunner? (Guess I should have make the connection sooner, huh?)

I was going to get this as is, but now I'm even more thankful for the deal.

[quote name='cheapo72']All your silly talk of sheep in a shmup led me to search for an old game I had played and nearly forgotten. Llamatron 2112
683697.png
. Hmm...says here it was developed by...Llamasoft?! Makers of Space Giraffe & Gridrunner? (Guess I should have make the connection sooner, huh?)

I was going to get this as is, but now I'm even more thankful for the deal.[/QUOTE]

Yup. It's actually not so much "makers," as "maker." Llamasoft has, for most of it's existence, been just one guy, the brilliant Jeff Minter, but a few years ago he doubled his staff to include his partner Giles. Fun fact: anyone with a 360 owns a piece of Llamasoft software - the "Neon" music visualizer. Jeff Minter created it, after having worked on a series of "light synthesizers" for over 20 years before that.

bread's done
Back