CAGcast #190: World of Duty

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[preview][img-l=4668]3078[/img-l]Join us for discussion on Activision vs. Infinity Ward, Halo Reach, Bioshock 2, the PS3 clock error, and a spoiler filled Mass Effect 2 talk. We also answer your CAGbag and Twitter questions and oh so much more!

[podcast]99[/podcast]
Download - 121 minutes, 58MB
iTunes: Subscribe - Review

Support the CAGcast with these GoDaddy coupon codes:
10% off any order = CAG10
$5 off $30 = CAG5OFF30
$6.95 domain = CAGDOMAIN

and a free Netfix trial![/preview]

Show Linkage/Notes (click the button below to expand):

Last edited by a moderator:
Wombat, I think you mean God of War II should've been released on PS3 instead of PS2 in March 2007 (6 months after the PS3's launch). Sony has mishandled a lot of other franchises worse than God of War; Ratchet & Clank being a PRIME example.

Again Wombat is an idiot. GOW2 on PS2 was relased in 2007. Then the PSP in 2008. So obviously this idiot cant count. 3 years, not 5

[quote name='hendersonman']Again Wombat is an idiot. GOW2 on PS2 was relased in 2007. Then the PSP in 2008. So obviously this idiot cant count. 3 years, not 5[/QUOTE]

Hey, speaking of idiots... God of War 2 was never released on the PSP :)

That really sucks having Heavy Rain spoiled, playing through and engrossing yourself with the story gave me the same feeling when i played through Mass Effect 2, but what are you going to do nowadays with the internet. There's always one jack-off whose soul purpose is to ruin things for other people. Still it shouldn't detract you from playing it since still a game after all and not a M. Night Shyamalan movie.

Yeah, I was victim of that spoiler bastard poster...
Next time I'll be sure to do nothing else but play a game like that 24/7 and then go online after I'm done :|

Why does Shipwreck like Sega? They haven't made a good game for years. Sonic Unleashed looked, played, and smelled like shit.

Great show, I just finished the first Mass Effect a few hours ago (paragon). I can't wait to listen to the spoiler filled discussion you guys had after I get around to finishing the sequel my self.

[quote name='hendersonman']Again Wombat is an idiot. GOW2 on PS2 was relased in 2007. Then the PSP in 2008. So obviously this idiot cant count. 3 years, not 5[/QUOTE]

You proved my point, they have done such a bad job with the franchise, I can't even remember when it was released. Thanks for the help in making me look smart.

I completely agree with Wombat on the GoW franchise. I've lost interest in it, espcially after playing the demo. You can tell that a new company did the game and it just doesn't have that thrill that it used to have IMO.

As far as the Infinity Ward guys getting fired. They deserve it. Yes MW2 sold well and the single player is good, but when it came to multiplayer, they just didnt care. We all know it should have had a beta to fix its MULTIPLE problems. The only patches released fixed very minor things while the major problems were completely ignored. As far as I'm concerned, they did a half ass job on MW2 and Activision has every right to fire whoever they want since they own the company now. I would HATE to see any game come out of Infinity Ward with those retards running the show. Its business & I'm sure Activision is making the right business decision.

BTW, I'm a computer gamer also and the SC2 beta key would be sooo awesome :p

Yeah, please don't talk about PC games... I think all that would happen is that you piss off PC gamers.

Case in point: Shipwreck saying that King's Quest games are not related. They are. Each game is a direct sequel and they are all set in the same world. The reason why The Silver Lining (the KQ fan game) exists is because they wanted to make a sequel set in the franchise with the characters.

The group is made up of King's Quest fans who wanted to make a KQ game. The group would not exist otherwise. Could they redo the game? It's possible, with a lot of work to edit out all the references, but the original intent was to make a KQ sequel. That would be like a group of friends starting out as a Metallica cover band suddenly being told they must perform Taylor Swift songs. Is it possible? Sure. But it's not what they want to do.

The fact that Vivendi and the fan group had a legal memorandum of understanding regarding the game and it's use of the King's Quest universe shows that Activision basically did this out of spite.

Also, the person you were quoting about how companies need to protect their IPs obviously doesn't know anything about how often this stuff happens. George Lucas lets people make shitty Star Wars films/games/books/whatever. He even judges a Star Wars fan film contest and no one is going to try to steal Star Wars from him any time soon.

There's a way to treat fans. You can treat them like shit or you can try to get them excited about your products - like Valve with the Portal update. Both are valid and it's definitely cheaper to treat people like shit... but hey, a little customer service and appreciation for your fans goes a long way.

Edit: also, you guys were wrong about how Mass Effect 2 lets you change the outcome of the first game. You can only change one thing, and it's relatively minor. If you do not import a character, the game has a "canon" version of the Mass Effect 1 story.

I actually have played three King's Quest games, but they never seemed to relate to me (kind of like the Final Fantasy games). It's been a long time though and I never played two consecutive games in the series, so I'm sure you are probably right and that they are linked together somehow.

I don't really agree with the way the guy kinda went after Wombat over the whole Ubisoft DRM thing, but I do think that Wombat was totally wrong in defending it.

Fact is, any discussion like "Well you probably have a good internet connection anyway" is pointless. Why? Because no matter what this will only ever affect people who paid money for the game. That's why it's so stupid! The only people who risk having their experience hindered or ruined are people who PAY for it!

[quote name='KingBroly']Wombat, I think you mean God of War II should've been released on PS3 instead of PS2 in March 2007 (6 months after the PS3's launch). Sony has mishandled a lot of other franchises worse than God of War; Ratchet & Clank being a PRIME example.[/QUOTE]

How so? The R&C series has been a top quality one whether it be on the PS2 or PS3, selling millions with a huge fanbase and Greatest Hit after Greatest Hit. As for GoWII, it was just fine where it ended up, IMO. Sure, it could have been delayed further and become a PS3 title (which would have been dumb), but it went onto become a great PS2 game. Sony still hasn't written off support for the PS2 due to how great a system it is... the same can't be said over the original XBOX as Microsoft mishandled that console entirely and just wasn't that great of a system.

Either way, I can't wait for God of War III. The game just looks frickin' epic. And, I'm glad the PS3 scare is said and done well before its release, as well as FFXIII's, heh. It really does do everything... including fix itself. Too bad that isn't a feature with a 360 to pair up with RRoDing.

Cheapy gives us the ip address of that douchbag so we can track him down, that fuck ruined the game for me after I spent over 6 months of avoiding anything on Heavy Rain. I still got the game, but I really want to find this fuck and fuck his shit up.

Also ME2 while good is not great, Zaeed, Jacob, Miranda, side stories sucks. Heck the only ones that were truly interesting were Mordin, Legion, and Garrus while the rest were just ok.

[quote name='shipwreck']I actually have played three King's Quest games, but they never seemed to relate to me (kind of like the Final Fantasy games). It's been a long time though and I never played two consecutive games in the series, so I'm sure you are probably right and that they are linked together somehow.[/QUOTE]

The majority of the games feature characters from the same family with the exception of the last game, which was an action adventure Zelda type game and not a point and click game.

They aren't direct sequels in so much as one game leads directly to the next, but they share the same continuity (unlike the Final Fantasy games which definitely are not related to each other). Events from previous games will be referenced in each game and such.

In fact, all the Quest games - with the exception of Police Quest - are continuous series that build off previous games.

Nooooo! I was so excited for the browser-based Tribes. Your inside man better be wrong Cheapy. That really sucks...

I loved the original Tribes as a kid. What a bummer.

The problem with the Ubisoft DRM isn't just having an internet connection, but having a 100% solid internet connection. Wireless is especially prone to interruptions and many routers time out and need to be reset sometimes. The game kicks you back to your last checkpoint if it has trouble connecting. What the heck? What happens if the Ubisoft servers are down, and especially when Ubisoft shuts them down completely (you know it will happen eventually, look at how soon EA servers get dropped). The kiss of death is the $60 price point too. If every game on the PC releases at that, piracy will reach a new high.

Great show. I enjoyed the discussion of Tribes. I agree that Tribes needs to make a comeback. I think a hybrid between Red Faction: Guerrilla & Tribes would be a hit.

wish i could listen to all the show today, but i'm still gathering team members in ME2. Hopefully I'll finish the game this weekend and listen to the rest of the show =) great show though from all that I could listen too.

I would like to start by saying that I was never big on PvP FPS until tribes dragged me into the genre, Tribes 2 was and still is the best FPS of all time in my book, never got into 3 because my system at the time couldn't really handle it. I'll admit initially I thought a game that was pretty much online only was a stupid idea, then I played it and all was good.

That sorta leads into the whole DRM online required to play singleplayer games.
There is an up and a downside to them as I see it ...

I'll start with the downside, that this along with pretty much all DRM it only really inconveniences the honest paying customers and most of the companies have flat out admitted its pretty much only good at stopping zero day piracy.

The upside is that it allows me to quickly decide what games and in some cases developers/publishers I want nothing to do with. Personally I think they should be required by law to put big warring stickers on the front of their packages that advertise what sort of phone home, DRM, Rootkit their game is going to try to install on your system.

I'm with wombat 100%, If you don't like the DRM then don't buy the game and don't pirate it. For Example I've been on a pretty solid boycott of EA for a while now haven't purchased or played an EA title or game by a company that EA has absorbed, in quite a while. Now this does mean I have missed out on some really good games but I sure as hell won't support them. I have been thinking about breaking ranks and buying some Used EA games because they are solid games but I wouldn't touch them new with a 10ft pole.

Not to say that I don't buy new games by any means I currently have three preorders out for this the wonderful month of march. From publishing companies I hold in higher regard like SEGA, XSEED and NIS.

I think you made a good choice not picking up Heavy Rain Cheapy - even if it was spoiled for you. The game is extremely glitchy, the voice acting takes you out of the game, and some of the choices you are forced to make are just stupid. Also, for an interactive movie, the story itself is subpar.

Tribes needs a new game, it was such a great game. Sadly the official servers are down, fortunately you can still play it on TribesNext.

lol, Cheapy yeah a lot of users on gamefaqs were also spoiling the killer of heavy rain by doing the same thing. I've been lucky though, and haven't seen any spoilers :D

By the way, awesome podcast! :applause: This is the third one i've listened to thus far!!

I thought the collectors were building a mango Sentinel at the end of ME2 and the only way to defeat it would be to throw Pringles at it. I loved the end of the show so much I thought it should have been 2 hours of ME2 talk because all other subjects are irrelevant. You guys should have a roundtable and talk about a game for a good half hour/hour more often.

Man I also got to say I loved ME2 although I do agree the end boss was a bit of a disappointment, also I do really like when you have an hour spoiler discussion on a great game... hope you do more of those.

I have to say this is the only pod cast I listen to and I often replay it after I finish listening to it, this will probably won't be any different and its probably going to be awesome since its a 2 hrs show, sweet.

Am I the only one who listened to the Mass Effect 2 discussion without ever playing it? I loved the first game but didn't feel like anything could have been spoiled for me in an action/adventure/RPG. Heavy Rain has a major twist and uses suspense to build up towards the ending. ME 2...so, now I know about certain character elements, weapons, and major plot points? How is that going to ruin anything for anyone??

If anything, you guys make me want to pick up ME 2 on my way home from work.

Also a question for Shipwreck, why didn't you finish Mass Effect? Did it have something to do with you being a completionist and the game's oddball achievement system?

I will admit that I was disappointed after playing through the game with Ashley and Liara and not unlocking the "Play Through a Majority of the Game with [Blank]". I got to level 50 and even bought a DLC pack in an attempt to unlock it!

[quote name='Bretts31344']The problem with the Ubisoft DRM isn't just having an internet connection, but having a 100% solid internet connection. Wireless is especially prone to interruptions and many routers time out and need to be reset sometimes. The game kicks you back to your last checkpoint if it has trouble connecting. What the heck? What happens if the Ubisoft servers are down, and especially when Ubisoft shuts them down completely (you know it will happen eventually, look at how soon EA servers get dropped). The kiss of death is the $60 price point too. If every game on the PC releases at that, piracy will reach a new high.[/QUOTE]

Just today Ubi announced that if you lose your connection in AC2 and get it back, you won't lose any progress. As someone with a slightly dodgy wireless connection, that's a massive improvement. It doesn't help anyone who wants to play on a laptop without any internet connection at all, but it's still a significant change IMO.

http://www.ubi.com/US/Games/Info.aspx?pId=7731&tab=download&dcId=63

[quote name='Curufinwe']Just today Ubi announced that if you lose your connection in AC2 and get it back, you won't lose any progress. As someone with a slightly dodgy wireless connection, that's a massive improvement. It doesn't help anyone who wants to play on a laptop without any internet connection at all, but it's still a significant change IMO.

http://www.ubi.com/US/Games/Info.aspx?pId=7731&tab=download&dcId=63[/QUOTE]

This still sucks for all the legit users, being connected online to play a single player game isn't very convenient sometimes.

I just recently liquidated my current console set and moved solely to PC gaming, before that I used to think a lot of people were just overstating the drm issues. After dealing with it, only in the past few months it really is a big deal. I will not be buying AC2 on PC for the fact that sometimes I take my laptop for installs and I don't always have internet connection that is stable, so I can't play the game I paid for? That is ridiculous.

Great show, guys. It's been a while since I last listened to the CAGcast. Glad to have come back to an ep having some talk about Tribes. Sad to hear it won't get it's revival =( I still consider it one of the best FPS games ever. Online multiplayer on dial up were some good days. For the kids who never knew Tribes, check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV07MgjpoLE&feature=channel and the next two parts.

[quote name='Wombat']You proved my point, they have done such a bad job with the franchise, I can't even remember when it was released. Thanks for the help in making me look smart.[/QUOTE]

Nice spin, but I do agree they are doing a terrible job promoting one the best games Sony has.

Very funny show. I really enjoyed the Mass Effect 2 spoilers part, Cheap's Jive talking Jacob had me in stitches.

[quote name='Wombat']You proved my point, they have done such a bad job with the franchise, I can't even remember when it was released. Thanks for the help in making me look smart.[/QUOTE]

You are quite the intellect, Wombat!

Great show guys. I liked that we heard more from BoatCrash then normal, he is always so quiet, needs to speak up more. As always Cheapy was on spot and Wombat got bashed for talking about things he knows nothing about (a.k.a. PC Gaming) heh...

bread's done
Back