n-gage 2 soon to be released.SURPRISE! it still sucks

minx

CAGiversary!
"Nokia has announced plans to deliver a redesigned version of its N-Gage gaming cell-phone. The new model, the N-Gage QD, has been built to address many of the design problems that plagued the original release.

"There was some very specific feedback that got us focused on making changes to the device," Nada Usina told GameSpot today. Usina, General Manager of Entertainment & Media, North & South America, said the new model "addresses some of the mental barriers" that impeded acceptance of the device among the core group of active gamers Nokia originally targeted.

The first generation N-Gage required you to remove the back cover and the battery simply to change a game. The QD streamlines this process by moving the MMC slot to the outside--sliding a game card into the slot will auto-launch the game. The D pad and buttons have been redesigned a bit, as well. The most noticeable control change is that the D pad no longer also functions as a button if you push it all the way in. That button has been moved to its own spot, directly to the right of the D pad.

The screen, while still vertically oriented, has a much cleaner look to it than the old N-Gage's screen, resulting in slightly sharper visuals. Finally, the QD's speaker and microphone are on the front of the unit instead of on the side, allowing phone users to speak into the device normally, as opposed to the classic N-Gage's side-talking configuration.

Usina warranted Nokia has having reacted "relatively quickly" to what was arguably uniform resistance to the original device. On the eve of the launch, Usina said that Nokia and the QD team were intent on making this upcoming launch more successful that last October's dismal first step in to the core gaming marketplace. She said Nokia intended to "spend as much time as possible educating and being educated."

Usina declined to specify the extent of product and user testing that went in to the redesigned unit, nor would she comment on the costs allocated to such pre-release research, but she did admit that research was much more extensive than what went into the product's first launch. She added that the relaunch "had the highest level of management attention" among top-level Nokia staff.

We spent some time with the QD recently, and found that it has a much more comfortable feel to it. The D pad and buttons generally feel more responsive, and the screen does, indeed have a sharper look to it. The game cards slide right in, which is certainly nicer than having to field-strip the unit just to play a new game. Removing games requires you to dig your fingernail into a small notch on the side of the card and pull the game out.

The QD will even sport a longer battery life than the original phone, but these new features do come at a price. Support for MP3 playback and FM radio support have been removed from the QD. Additionally, the N-Gage QD isn't a triband phone like its predecessor, meaning that two versions of the unit will be released to work with the different GSM bands used throughout the world. On the upside, the unit is available at a lower price. When bundled with a service contract, the QD is expected to sell for $99. Without subsidy from a service provider, the phone will go for $199 (with the platform's Tony Hawk title bundled in at that price). Price of the unit remains low, says Usina, due to the higher ARPU (average revenue per unit) the device generates for carriers.

The N-Gage QD will come with a preinstalled application known as the N-Gage Arena, which will connect to a community-oriented area that will allow players to view rankings, communicate with other users, and participate in other N-Gage related events. Usina said that of the 50 new titles due to retail this year, approximately three quarters will be Arena compatible. "Mobile, connected, multiplayer gaming is key" to the N-Gage agenda, Usina emphasized.

The N-Gage QD will hit North American shelves in June. European, African, and Asia Pacific regions will see the phone arrive at retailers in May.

By Jeff Gerstmann and Curt Feldman -- GameSpot
POSTED: 04/13/04 09:40PM PST"

If you read carefully,it's basically a stripped down version of the current machine--selling at the same price as the current machine --only with less games bundled than current deals:whistle2:(

You've got to be kidding me. I've heard the first one was a total disaster in sales, do they just want to throw away more money? If they're gonna throw it away, they should at least put it in a more noble charity (Like the Games for GoldenGraham foundation)

Eh...if it looks better, I'll probably buy it, I use T-Mobile as a phone carrier, so it'll double as my cell phone. But I would need to take a look at some of these "upcoming titles" too.

The abovie is why I hate people.

p.s. they aren't addressing the one thing it needs desperately. Games that don't suck.

You mean Nokia actually had games made for the system even AFTER the rather anemic crop of launch titles bombed? One would think a development house would be better off just making a pile of money and watching how pretty it is while it burns instead of developing something for the NGage.

You have to give Nokia some credit. It's pretty impressive that they're sticking to their guns on this one despite facing increasing loss. If Sega showed half the support Nokia is giving the N-Gage, maybe the dreamcast wouldn't have failed. Sony, Microsft, and Nintendo could learn something from all this.

[quote name='dcfox']You have to give Nokia some credit. It's pretty impressive that they're sticking to their guns on this one despite facing increasing loss. If Sega showed half the support Nokia is giving the N-Gage, maybe the dreamcast wouldn't have failed. Sony, Microsft, and Nintendo could learn something from all this.[/quote]

Yeah like what not to do. Sega did this to often and thats why they are strictly a publishign house now.

It will happen all over again the name is tarnished and has nothing going for it.

I do get your point though but this isnt one person we are talkinga bout here holding his or her word. This is investment companies etc looking at the bottom line I am unsure why they would even waste their time.

Secondly these changes are exactly what was picked at before the release they should have addressed them thena nd delayed the launch.

If Nokia wanted to lose a lot of money, they could at least just give money to charity and actually help people. Instead they are just hurting themselves and wasting people's money if they are dumb enough to buy one. It's not like they are trying to change gaming or offer anything substantially different. I do like their ads though. Nothing is more fun than reading an ad about 10 times and still wandering what the ad is for.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']Walking away now. You are so obviously more superior than me.[/quote]

Me too, his command of the English language is obviously "abovie" mine.

[quote name='Minx']n-gage 2 soon to be released.SURPRISE! it still sucks[/quote]

*sighs*

This is like the announcement of the DS all over again...people ripping into before we've used it or, in the case of the DS, even seen it.

What, exactly, is accomplished by ripping into the new N-Gage before you've gotten a chance to use it and see it firsthand?

The fact that Nokia is willing to try and improve on the device instead of dumping it is a very brave choice...and a foolhardy one, judging from the reactions I've seen so far. People are still slamming it because it's still an N-Gage.

I know I'm in a minority, but I'm withholding judgement until I get a chance to use it myself...

[quote name='starman9000'][quote name='Mr. Anderson']Walking away now. You are so obviously more superior than me.[/quote]

Me too, his command of the English language is obviously "abovie" mine.[/quote]

[quote name='Ralph Wigum'] Me fail English? That umpossisble![/quote]

[quote name='dcfox']You have to give Nokia some credit. It's pretty impressive that they're sticking to their guns on this one despite facing increasing loss. If Sega showed half the support Nokia is giving the N-Gage, maybe the dreamcast wouldn't have failed. Sony, Microsft, and Nintendo could learn something from all this.[/quote]

Well, I don't know about Nintendo. Nintendo took lots of hits over Virtual Boy, but they still supported that. They've been taking lots of hits over connectivity instead of online, but they are still selling that.

Nintendo has loss a decent amount of marketshare, but they are still sticking to thier guns that videogames are first and foremost games.

Right or wrong, Nintendo doesn't seem to have a problem with sticking to thier guns, even if they're ideas are unpopular.

[quote name='danny-o']Wow. Now only will it not sell, but the just alienated thier few fans who actually own an original N-gage.[/quote]

Amen to that! I don't own one of those poo-poo platters, but if i had shelled out the ridiculous price to get one when they came out, i'd be pretty pissed that there was going to be an improved version out so soon afterward!

And yes, the real test will be whether or not they can lrelease any worthwhile games.

Good point. They obviously really want to break into this market. Who knows? Maybe down the line, if they continue the fervent support for their N-Gage, they might develop something that everyone will want to get their hands on, with good games to boot! One can never know. We'll see I guess.

When Sony and Nintendo finally get around to releasing their nextgen portables the Ngage will die a quick death. All Ive heard is that the games are bad with poor controls and decent graphics.

I'm saddened by the loss of the sidetalkin' feature that has spawned the craze across the nation.
weird11.jpg

A couple things:

1.) How many of you have ever seen or used an N-Gage in person? I'd venture to say that a very small percentage of you slamming the thing have ever used one. Rather, you're slamming it because that's the status quo.

2.) The QD is actually $100 cheaper, in practice, than the original N-Gage, and yes, you lose some functionality - you don't get the FM radio or MP3 player, so owners of the original N-Gage probably aren't going to be all that pissed.

3.) Yes, there are actually games coming out. Pathway to Glory, and Pocket Kingdom sound *awesome*, and they're making great use of the N-Gage's connectivity, in a way that hasn't been done with any other mobile platform. I'm looking forward to them. If a system was canned after an anemic launch, the PS2 would have been DOA.

The *problem* with the N-Gage is that Nokia let it become the status quo to bash the thing. As a result, the N-Gage name is a joke, and they should have branded it as something else.

But the new N-Gage fixes the two largest points of mockery - the dismantling of the phone to get to the game card, and "side-talkin'". It removes some good in the process (the MP3 player, and radio, both of which I use on a regular basis), and makes the unit cheaper.

As an N-Gage owner, am I pissed? Not really - I like the current model well enough. But for all the people who rip on the thing because it's the status quo to do so, check the damn thing out first. It's a pretty good little piece of hardware, that got stuck with a stupid bad rap that it doesn't deserve.

seppo

Yes, I have used one, and It's just as bad as everyone says. For the original $300 asking price, it was a terrible system. For $100, its still terrible. You can get a GBASP for that much, and look at all of the good games available for it.

Although I agree that "following the trend" is usually a bad idea, look at it this way. There are always going to be a group of people that like something. I don't think there's a thing on this earth that doesn't have at least one fan for it, and the NGage is no exception. However, the general consensus here is that this piece of hardware is barely better than rubbish. The best NGage game is probably as good as a mediocre GBA title, and thats a fact. The system has been out for close to a year if memory serves, which has given Nokia more than enough time to get on the ball. The fact is they're a company that is so out of touch with their target audience that they can never suceed.

Where's the eject button on the QD? They got it wrong AGAIN.

[quote name='Gothic_Walrus'][quote name='Minx']n-gage 2 soon to be released.SURPRISE! it still sucks[/quote]

*sighs*

This is like the announcement of the DS all over again...people ripping into before we've used it or, in the case of the DS, even seen it.

What, exactly, is accomplished by ripping into the new N-Gage before you've gotten a chance to use it and see it firsthand?

The fact that Nokia is willing to try and improve on the device instead of dumping it is a very brave choice...and a foolhardy one, judging from the reactions I've seen so far. People are still slamming it because it's still an N-Gage.

I know I'm in a minority, but I'm withholding judgement until I get a chance to use it myself...[/quote]

looks like someone didn't read beyond the subject line.

[quote name='helava']A couple things...[/quote]

I have used an N-gage and suffice to say I wasn't impressed. It is very difficult to use, complex to operate plus that game switching was a chore. I'm sure you get used to it (and the price you paid for it) after you own it after a while. I really wanted to like the N-gage, but I just can't.

As for the new one, the exterior and backlight have changed but as far as new hardware, it is virtually identical to the old version. Considering that proven programming houses couldn't avoid slowdown and other issues, I doubt that any new software will be any better.

The saving grace might be the lower price point, and the connectivity and communication features. There's so many things going against it though, including the name (what does QD stand for anyway?), yet you have to like Nokia's persistence. The QD might not be a success, but if they continue trying to push their way in they'll eventually have one.

Can you imagine the trade in deals that will go on when this releases? Get $20 credit towards the purchase of an Ngage 2 when you trade in your Ngage 1 and 4 games. :lol:

I think it's pretty shocking that they released the first one with that whacked out system for changing games. That's going to be something joked about decades from now when people are talking about the worst video games ever.

I don't know.......I might actually get one now. I mean, if they redo the controls, and the games already have decent graphics, then all you need is good gameplay. I haven't tried any of their games, but Red Faction and Tony Hawk look good. And if 50 games really do come out for it, then there's bound to be a few goldies in there. But I have a question, if I don't get the service and pay $199, can I still go online?

I give props to Nokia for listening to feedback and launching an improved system in 6 months. Not many companies do that.

I bet the majority if you are bashing the N-gage simply because it's cool to do so. Shame on you.

people taking the n-gage seriously is all the proof needed to know that some of the gaming public is stupid

Hmmm... if it is only 200€ like they reported... I am in need of a new phone.... and a finnish guy of course buys a Nokia... and my birthday is in May....

Maybe :)

It has Super Monkey Ball so :)

[quote name='helava']1.) How many of you have ever seen or used an N-Gage in person? I'd venture to say that a very small percentage of you slamming the thing have ever used one. Rather, you're slamming it because that's the status quo.[/quote]

I've tried playing one before. I've seen demo units at 3 different stores and I couldnt get the game to play on any of them.

[quote name='DenisDFat']The abovie is why I hate people.

p.s. they aren't addressing the one thing it needs desperately. Games that don't suck.[/quote]

I'm with Fat here. They can redesign the hardware to hell but if they don't have any good games, it will always still be an NGage. I've also tried playing an NGage a couple times, none of them worked.

bread's done
Back