Portal 2 Preorder FREE OVERNIGHT SHIPPING 1 day only

WTF is Portal 2 going to be like 5x longer than Portal or what? Didn't we all get Portal for dirt cheap when it came with The Orange Box? This seems way over priced imo, based on how long Portal 1 was and how much the game cost on XBL when it was released.

I guess the overnight shipping is the deal?

Doesn't really matter, just pre-order it on Steam and you'll get it the MOMENT the clocks turns midnight, AND there's no tax (for me at least)

The game was just announced! They're offering free overnight shipping on it? Cripes, there's barely any details about it! This is getting ridiculous.

I don't know why you people are complaining about the price of Portal 2, I've felt that every Valve game I've played has been worth more then what I paid for it (and some worth far more then I paid for it, like Team Fortress 2). I have no doubt that Portal 2 will be no different.

I don't understand why everyone's already hating on the price of the game. There is absolutely 0 knowledge on the length of the game, how many levels, etc. If they come out and say it will be the same length of Portal 1, then by all means, cause a stir. But until we receive any actual information, chill out.

I just can't justify $60 for a standalone Portal 2 when the first version was included with Team Fortress and several full Half Life campaigns. I loved Portal, but there's absolutely no chance I'd pay $60 for it unless they somehow stretched the story to the length of a full game, and I'm not sure that's going to work for something that was a collection of time trials.

I honestly don't think I'd like a longer portal. Portal 1 was just right. Just like I really only loved the original Katamari. I fear they're going to ruin my portal!

Before I start I want to say this is based on little knowledge of Portal 2, but the idea of a full priced Portal doesn't instantly appeal to me. Portal was a great short game, and I felt it was the right length. I think Portal was a great game that really would not benefit much from making it a full priced, major release game. I'm guessing it's going to be something in the scope of a half-life game, so it may be justified in the end. Basically anything anybody says (including myself) at this time is based on the difference between the price of Portal and Portal 2 (meaning that there is little point to the discussion, since details are scarce).

*sigh* Right now I can only think about the gigantic boycott against Left 4 Dead 2. Then I think about the part where all the boycotters pre-ordered L4D2, they dropped the boycott, and it sold a ton more than the original.

[quote name='Oktoberfest']I guess the overnight shipping is the deal?

Doesn't really matter, just pre-order it on Steam and you'll get it the MOMENT the clocks turns midnight, AND there's no tax (for me at least)[/QUOTE]

Steam games don't unlock at midnight. Not in the US, at least.

[quote name='bigredvan14']*sigh* Right now I can only think about the gigantic boycott against Left 4 Dead 2. Then I think about the part where all the boycotters pre-ordered L4D2, they dropped the boycott, and it sold a ton more than the original.[/QUOTE]
Free publicity and I'll wait for a Steam sale or Orange Box 2.

We don't even know if this is going to be just Portal 2. For all we know it might be a Maroon box that comes with Half Life 2: 3, TF3, and something else. Portal 2 is just what they're calling it for a placeholder. Too far in advance.

[quote name='shiftomnimega']We don't even know if this is going to be just Portal 2. For all we know it might be a Maroon box that comes with Half Life 2: 3, TF3, and something else. Portal 2 is just what they're calling it for a placeholder. Too far in advance.[/QUOTE]

Episode.. 3? If that was in there, I'd be more than willing to pay double. But for some reason, I'm going to say that its ONLY going to be Portal 2. I'm sure we'll be creeping up on year 3 before we see that. :(

Um, guys they already said it was a FULL GAME. So expect it be longer the 1st portal. How long? I dunno.

While a crappy deal it is still a deal, so don't hate on the OP. I will add a reason why this deal blows. Its a steam game so there is sure to be a pre-order discount/bonus from Valve. Also shipping the game is pointless even for all the folks who must own a phisical copy of a game they own. Since you need steam to play it anyway and the game on the disk already needs patching the moment you pop it in your PC.

So go with steam, because shipping is also free(and instant) when you just download it off steam. And your sure to score it cheaper as a pre-order or during the steam xmas sale.

Not sure why some people think Valve would charge full MSRP for a Portal 2 if it was the same length as the first. They probably realize people would be pissed.

Someone on GAF posted a gist of the GI article and it sounds very promising. Sounds like there'll be some co-op too.

They've already said that Portal 2 will be a full-fledged, full-length game unlike the first one, so $60 sounds just about right (obviously not for us CAGs).

[quote name='HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ']WTF is Portal 2 going to be like 5x longer than Portal or what? Didn't we all get Portal for dirt cheap when it came with The Orange Box? This seems way over priced imo, based on how long Portal 1 was and how much the game cost on XBL when it was released.[/QUOTE]

My thoughts EXACTLY. I'll pass and wait for a cheaper price. Even in Portal 2 is longer, it'd need to a much stronger sense of story context for me to want to spend $60 on it. Portal has great gameplay, but it ultimately just felt like a big, continuous puzzle which I can only play in short bursts.

While I'm SURE it will be a "full length game" (whatever that really means), I remain skeptical. I liked Portal the way it was, including the length. I have reservations about a "full length" Portal game with multiplayer co-op. Seems like a lot of unnecessary addition. I'm just having a hard time getting excited about it.

[quote name='FigNewton']I liked Portal the way it was, including the length. I have reservations about a "full length" Portal game with multiplayer co-op. [/QUOTE]

Same here. I though Portal's length was just right, and the price of the game was suitable for that length. I do enjoy puzzles, but if they take too long to solve I'll ultimately get burnt out working on it.

wow seriously? first you guys complain about the game being too short for the price.. now you complain about it being too LONG? the game isn't even out yet, i guess no matter what you'll find something to complain about!

[quote name='sunghost']wow seriously? first you guys complain about the game being too short for the price.. now you complain about it being too LONG? the game isn't even out yet, i guess no matter what you'll find something to complain about![/QUOTE]

I'd have no problem with Portal 2 being long if there is a greater sense of context than the original Portal. Even with the good gameplay, 20+ hours of going from room-to-room solving puzzles will start to feel like a drag if I don't feel a sense of reason for why I'm doing it. If Valve wants to double the content (or more) thats fine, just give it some substance.

When I pay $60 I'm not just asking for sheer quantity of content, I'm asking for quality as well. Like I said, Portal indeed has great gameplay, but sometimes gameplay is best in limited bursts.

Hey Gabe has to keep up his standard of living. He isn't making money on HL2: Ep 3. You know, the game that the episodic format would give faster releases. :roll:

Everyone seems to be freaking out about a price Gamestop just made up. Nobody knows how long this game will be, or how much it will cost. All we know is that it exists.

[quote name='sunghost']wow seriously? first you guys complain about the game being too short for the price.. now you complain about it being too LONG? the game isn't even out yet, i guess no matter what you'll find something to complain about![/QUOTE]

This pretty much sums up the gaming community most of the time.

It's Valve guys, they're going to release a fantastic game just like they always do.

What's funny about the complainers is that Portal 1 did approach the length of some single-player campaigns these days.

[quote name='V878']Not sure why some people think Valve would charge full MSRP for a Portal 2 if it was the same length as the first. They probably realize people would be pissed.[/QUOTE]

2 words,

left 4 dead.

[quote name='bigredvan14']*sigh* Right now I can only think about the gigantic boycott against Left 4 Dead 2. Then I think about the part where all the boycotters pre-ordered L4D2, they dropped the boycott, and it sold a ton more than the original.[/QUOTE]

And then the game came out and it felt like a tacked-on expansion pack...and I wondered if maybe those boycotters were right to begin with.

Who in the world complained about the length or price of the first Portal? Almost everyone agreed that the game was just the right length for what it was, not overstaying its welcome but long enough to do what it set out to do, and that its price (assuming that you count it as one of the five games in a $50 bundle making it basically $10) was appropriate as well. If the game was 5 times as long and 5 times the price, most people would have rightly criticized it. I don't know where you're getting the idea that people complained about the game's length when in this thread, every single person that's mentioned it has said that Portal was the perfect length. It's almost like you're the one trying to find something to complain about...

The problem is that there's really no way they can take the current iteration of Portal and somehow extend it to be 5 times as long (let alone for 5 times the price) without either making it feel like it drags on or drastically altering what made Portal so interesting to begin with. It's like going from Narbacular Drop to Portal: they were able to make it 5 times as long because they completely changed the entire concept of the game even though the gameplay was very similar. Unless they're going to change Portal into something totally different from the first game (in which case the name is somewhat misleading), I'd much rather see the campaign being short and sweet than long and tedius...and expensive.

But this listing for Portal 2 is pretty much just a placeholder for now, so we'll see how the actual game turns out in terms of content and pricing.

Free overnight shipping = lame

I can just go to Wal-Mart and get it that same day without waiting for the mail.

This is the worst April Fool's joke to date. A bit too early, GameStop, but thanks for trying.

1 day offer to preorder a game that might come out seven months from now with absolutely no chance of selling out at retail and will have free shipping by everyone else plus digital distribution options. Genius.

I think I'll pass on this deal, but I would pay $50 for portal 2 without any hesitations.

Portal 1 gave me a lot of love, and it was well worth the $10 I paid for it. Sure the prices are a lot difference, but this is valve, and this is portal.

The only bad thing I can think of regarding the day one thing is you know the steam servers are going to be slow as molasses on that day, since thousands of people are going to be downloading the same thing at the same time. They probably need to get a new server just for Portal 2

"Gamestop.com - The Deal"

LOL!

Too bad amazon will offer the same deal and probably a gift card with a few dollars.

[quote name='Edge']And then the game came out and it felt like a tacked-on expansion pack...and I wondered if maybe those boycotters were right to begin with.

Who in the world complained about the length or price of the first Portal? Almost everyone agreed that the game was just the right length for what it was, not overstaying its welcome but long enough to do what it set out to do, and that its price (assuming that you count it as one of the five games in a $50 bundle making it basically $10) was appropriate as well. If the game was 5 times as long and 5 times the price, most people would have rightly criticized it. I don't know where you're getting the idea that people complained about the game's length when in this thread, every single person that's mentioned it has said that Portal was the perfect length. It's almost like you're the one trying to find something to complain about...

The problem is that there's really no way they can take the current iteration of Portal and somehow extend it to be 5 times as long (let alone for 5 times the price) without either making it feel like it drags on or drastically altering what made Portal so interesting to begin with. It's like going from Narbacular Drop to Portal: they were able to make it 5 times as long because they completely changed the entire concept of the game even though the gameplay was very similar. Unless they're going to change Portal into something totally different from the first game (in which case the name is somewhat misleading), I'd much rather see the campaign being short and sweet than long and tedius...and expensive.

But this listing for Portal 2 is pretty much just a placeholder for now, so we'll see how the actual game turns out in terms of content and pricing.[/QUOTE]

no one complained about the first portal's length because the price was perfect (the orange box was a great deal for the money because it came bundled with half life 2, ep1, ep2, etc.). they were assuming that the 2nd game would be the same length and complained about the price because of their assumption that it'd be too short/lack of content, which i would agree about it being overpriced if there were proof about it being the same length, but i doubt that's the case.

go read the last page back and you'll see what i'm talking about, there have been assumptions made that portal 2 will be short based on the length of the first game, and people were laughing at the price because of that. my post was directed toward the discussion of the length/price of portal 2.. not portal 1. anyway, sorry for the off topic rant.. i personally think valve will have done a great job with portal 2, free overnight shipping isn't too bad but i think i'll wait for portal to hit $50 or less.. (360 version)

[quote name='TheVandit']So obviously it's not coming packaged with Episode 3. So sad. More hats incoming for TF2. :([/QUOTE]
Yeah, I can't wait to see how they price that one.

bread's done
Back