Overlooked/Underrated PS2 Games?

[quote name='ChernobylCow']Best Undiscovered Playstation 2 games.
[/QUOTE]

That's an incredibly thorough list. A few of those titles never released in the States, but you'd be hard-pressed to find a more well organized list online.

Here are just a few I didn't see mentioned. All of these are PS2 only titles.

Persona 4 (Presuming this wasn't on there b/c of when it was written; the last great JRPG on the PS2)
Chaos Legion (The forgotten Capcom franchise amidst RE, DMC, and Onimusha)
Devil Kings (Capcom's Dynasty Warriors -- surprisingly high production values)
Extermination (First party Sony title that took us back to old RE days)
Maximo: Army of Zin (The original sold very well but this sequel got short-changed by the masses)
Rise of the Kasai (The sequel to Mark of Kri -- a better game, IMHO)
Snoopy vs. the Red Baron (Don't let the license fool you -- this was a great game)
Shining Force EXA (Not the Shining Force we played growing up, but a well polished hack and slash)
Spy Fiction (Where else will you find characters designed by renowned manga artist Renji Murata?)
Vampire Night (Easily one of the most overlooked lightgun games)
Yakuza 1 and 2 (2 is leaps and bounds better, BTW)

[quote name='romeogbs19']That's an incredibly thorough list. A few of those titles never released in the States, but you'd be hard-pressed to find a more well organized list online.

Here are just a few I didn't see mentioned. All of these are PS2 only titles.

Persona 4 (Presuming this wasn't on there b/c of when it was written; the last great JRPG on the PS2)
Chaos Legion (The forgotten Capcom franchise amidst RE, DMC, and Onimusha)
Devil Kings (Capcom's Dynasty Warriors -- surprisingly high production values)
Extermination (First party Sony title that took us back to old RE days)
Maximo: Army of Zin (The original sold very well but this sequel got short-changed by the masses)
Rise of the Kasai (The sequel to Mark of Kri -- a better game, IMHO)
Snoopy vs. the Red Baron (Don't let the license fool you -- this was a great game)
Shining Force EXA (Not the Shining Force we played growing up, but a well polished hack and slash)
Spy Fiction (Where else will you find characters designed by renowned manga artist Renji Murata?)
Vampire Night (Easily one of the most overlooked lightgun games)
Yakuza 1 and 2 (2 is leaps and bounds better, BTW)[/QUOTE]

Funnily enough I own all but 4 of these games you listed and I own about 90% of the games on Racketboy's list down to the music genre, then only about 30-40% of those until the end of the list. **Just shows I own way too many PS2 games...**

Actually make that two, I picked up Snoopy and possibly Spy Fiction, need to play the demo again real quick.

Disaster Report and Raw Danger. A survival game that pits you not against monsters and zombies,but a devastating earthquake and a massive flood.

Or something like that. I actually really enjoyed this game. It was simple, but collecting everything and building the town was a blast.

Actually let me add Dynasty Warriors Gundam 2 to that list. That game kep me up until almost 3 one night this week.

[quote name='digitalcowboy']Or something like that. I actually really enjoyed this game. It was simple, but collecting everything and building the town was a blast.[/QUOTE]

I seconded Kya, thought it had a pretty fun combat system and a lot of variety. Anyone who liked the original Jak would probably enjoy it.

Contra Shattered Soldier

"As you might expect, Shattered Soldier is absurdly difficult and it has all the staples of classic Contra games but with updated visuals."[/QUOTE]

I recently bought a PS2 slim (my first PS2) and decided to pop this, of all games, into my PS2. I've always thought of myself as a decent gamer, but Shattered Soldier changed that pretty quickly. After more than an hour of playing, I never even beat the first level. Brutal game, just brutal :lol:

Awesome PS2 list btw! Now I just need to play through them all...

I was about to say Fire Pro Wrestling Returns until I read the list and found it on there.

I've always liked the Tokyo Xtreme Racer games, particularly TXR Zero. Zero (a PS2 port of TXR 2 on Dreamcast) and 3 play like a weird combination of fighting game and street racing sim. The TXR Drift games are based around racing up and down mountains in Japan. All four games (TXR Zero, 3, Drift, and Drift 2) are dirt cheap and offer hours of gameplay with a fair degree of challenge.

EDIT - Ah well, the list mentions TXR Drift 2. Still, I prefer the freeway racing of Zero and 3.

Finally a good thread!

I own well over 100 rare ps2 games and I can say these are some of the most overlooked.

Kings Field the ancient city- trying to find it again, have you ever wondered what the game demon souls was like before it became what it is today? While the gameplay is sub-oblivian style the soundtrack is superb (I listen to it often) also the story is intense more so then demon souls, definately youtube it (its kinda boring and old).

Berserk for the ps2 (import only) - Worth modding your playstation for. All I can say is if this game actually made it out in 2004 like it should have, you would not even have heard of God of war it would be this game right here. Quick time events, awesome story (almost the same as the manga chapters 23-27 of Berserk) Graphics were quite good for the time and the Gameplay WOW you actually chop off body parts of your enemys. This game is by far my most favorate on the PS2 not just only because I just happen to like the Manga as well that is a bonus.

Zone of the Enders 2, If I didn't have a modded ps2 I'd say this was my favorate game. While short it contains full anime cut scenes in game, the graphics make you want a sequel for the next gen system because they are awesome and you will want to see more. Gameplay is perfect, high speed mech battles without the silly fuel or realism you see from armored core and other types. I believe this game was from the Hideo Kojima team, I don't want to say he wrote it but I know he created it and it came from his part of Konami, what more could you ask for?

Thats all I have right now there are more that I will bring up later that are gems (all titles that begin with Shin Megami Tensei).

My roommate in college had R.A.D. and it was crazy fun. This thread has totally inspired me to search for it at a gamestop somewhere.

One that everyone forgets is War of the Monsters (it's not even mentioned on that linked page), where you're one massive cheesy movie monster fighting another, and decimating a city in the process.

Throwing cars and fuel trucks at each other, eating fleeing pedestrians for health, leveling buildings and pummeling each other with steel girders. Insanely fun if you can find it.

[quote name='MrFixit66']My roommate in college had R.A.D. and it was crazy fun. This thread has totally inspired me to search for it at a gamestop somewhere.[/QUOTE]

I have been doing that for quite some time, I found it about 2 years ago and foolishly passed up on it. I have yet to see another copy again.:cry:

[/QUOTE]

That's a pretty nifty list. I totally agree with them on Space Channel 5: Special Edition. It's the only version of Space Channel 5 Part 2 to come to the US and it included the first one as well! ...What was even more interesting is that they released it as a budget title if I remember correctly.

...I'm pretty surprised to see that Kim Possible made the list. I guess I'll need to pick it up eventually.

[quote name='KillerRamen']That's a pretty nifty list. I totally agree with them on Space Channel 5: Special Edition. It's the only version of Space Channel 5 Part 2 to come to the US and it included the first one as well! ...What was even more interesting is that they released it as a budget title if I remember correctly.

...I'm pretty surprised to see that Kim Possible made the list. I guess I'll need to pick it up eventually.[/QUOTE]

Kim Possible is a solid game from A2M, the same guys behind the DS/GBA titles. It's not going to win any innovation awards, but it's a solid platformer -- in a way, it's a dumbed down version of Alien Hominid.

As for Space Channel 5, if you're an Ulala fan, I have to recommend you get your hands on Part 2 for the Dreamcast. The quality difference is rather astonishing. The port to the PS2 isn't terrible but the DC build is clearly superior (better colors, sharper graphics, original Japanese) ;-) It's a costly venture but for purists, this is the only way to play it.

[quote name='romeogbs19']Kim Possible is a solid game from A2M, the same guys behind the DS/GBA titles. It's not going to win any innovation awards, but it's a solid platformer -- in a way, it's a dumbed down version of Alien Hominid.

As for Space Channel 5, if you're an Ulala fan, I have to recommend you get your hands on Part 2 for the Dreamcast. The quality difference is rather astonishing. The port to the PS2 isn't terrible but the DC build is clearly superior (better colors, sharper graphics, original Japanese) ;-) It's a costly venture but for purists, this is the only way to play it.[/QUOTE]

Huh, I just kind of assumed they were the same. I guess I'll have to try to find a copy. Does the Dreamcast have boot disks for imports or will I need a Japanese DC?

Runabout 3 Neo Age. You drive around in different vehicles in a city causing mayhem and doing missions. It's a really fun game that doesn't take itself seriously, but does has a budget/glitchy feel to it. It definatley wont be for everyone.

bread's done
Back