Should I sell my NES?

Ultramontane

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Hey fellow CAG's I need your help. I'm saving up to upgrade from a CRT to a hi-def T.V. I'm sorting through stuff in the house to auction off and came across my original NES. It's pretty banged up and gray screens a lot, but I think I can get it into decent shape. I also have 23 games to go along with it.

It comes with a lot of sentimental value, but I know I can play some of these games elsewhere. Should I bother selling it off or should I hold onto it? Thanks everyone.

You won't get a lot for it, and if it holds sentimental value, honestly I would just hold on to it. If every penny counts, however, then that changes things.

[quote name='Ultramontane']Hey fellow CAG's I need your help. I'm saving up to upgrade from a CRT to a hi-def T.V. I'm sorting through stuff in the house to auction off and came across my original NES. It's pretty banged up and gray screens a lot, but I think I can get it into decent shape. I also have 23 games to go along with it.

It comes with a lot of sentimental value, but I know I can play some of these games elsewhere. Should I bother selling it off or should I hold onto it? Thanks everyone.[/QUOTE]

This outweighs the monetary value by far, in my opinion, and it bears repeating that you probably wouldn't get a ton of cash for it. You can always buy a new one or a top loader if you want, but if it's your original, I'd probably hang on to it. My NES stuff is the only part of my collection that is strictly off-limits.

On top of everything everyone has said, I find that playing the emulated version just don't hold that special "feel" of playing old school games. Maybe it's just nostalgia...

I own both the Wii virtual console version and NES cartridge version of Super Mario Brothers, and I probably go through the trouble of getting the NES one to work more often than just clicking it on my Wii when I have the urge for some old school entertainment.
Playing old school Super Mario Bros. just doesn't feel the same without having to blow into the cartridge 3 - 4 times.

I sold my NES years ago to upgrade to a Genesis. I can honestly say to this day I still regret it. I'd hang onto it for sure.

You won't get much for the system, but the games could be a different story, depending on what they are.

That said, I wouldn't sell.

After reading your comments and a few nights to think about it, I've decided to hang on to it. Thanks for your responses everyone.

-Ultra

[quote name='Ultramontane']After reading your comments and a few nights to think about it, I've decided to hang on to it. Thanks for your responses everyone.

-Ultra[/QUOTE]

Personally, I think you made the right decision. You're not going to make a ton of money off of it and every console I have ever sold I ended up regretting it later with very few exceptions (like upgrading to a newer model of the same console... Although, I do regret getting rid of my PS2 fat with the Hard-Drive).

Id keep it. At some point in time youll wish you had it to play again. And yeah you can get roms to play the games but its not like pushing down the cart and holding that controller in your hands.

Besides it cant be taking up to much room, just box it up and stash it away.

Not like your going to retire on the sale of it anything anyway.

Keep it. I regret selling both my Sega Genesis and Nintendo 64. Now that I'm looking for them complete(one reason why I joined this forum) they are expensive and or not up to my standards.

keep it. you will get very little money for it and I swear there will be a day when you want to play it again for "old times sake".

I'd keep it, I never traded in a system but when PS1 came out one of my friends traded in his NES for I think $5 and all his NES games for $2 each to EB and really regretted it afterwards.

I agree with fellow CAGs, keep them and pass it on to your kids. Remember all the good times and the trill of finishing the games.

do you have any rare/valuable games?
if so, id sell them, unless you absolutely love them - then id keep the snes and the games you enjoy playing -

I've sold 2 genesis, 2 NES, 1 SNES, a Dreamcast, XBOX, Gameboy etc and you know what? I've went out an rebought every single one of them....Some of them multipe times haha. Keep it. IF you need cash just sell certain games you don't ever see yourself playing again.

No way. Keep it for another 20 years and then you ll be able to get a fortune for it at antique road show!

[quote name='DickTowel']No way. Keep it for another 20 years and then you ll be able to get a fortune for it at antique road show![/QUOTE]

doubt it

I had an immense amount of sentimental value for my NES and games. One day I realized that I was simply putting the games in, playing for a few minutes, then putting them away. There was no point in having it around. It was basically money sitting here on the shelf, providing little value. So I sold it all and do not regret it. This was before the Wii, even. Now we have the Wii and emulation, so I can get my 5 minute fix whenever I need it.

Maybe get it working again and sell it with some crap games for $5-10 bucks. You can always pick up one that's in better condition for cheap later. Or you can junk the console and save the hook-ups / controllers; sometimes you can get naked consoles in the wild for next to nothing.

Worst decision in my life is when I sold my NES/SNES. I honestly do regret that at night sometimes when I am trying to go to sleep.

I gave mine away years ago. At first I regretted it, then as time went on, now I am glad I didn't keep it. I gave away my game boy pocket and advance, sold all the games and bought new games. It depends, do you like holding onto things or upgrading the old stuff for new stuff. I used to be a retro gamer, the old ones are better than the new ones, but I found myself playing the new ones more. Now I sell the old stuff and get the newer stuff. Mario bros is good, but Mario galaxy is better. If sentimental value is important to you, than you might want to keep it.

Take my advice, mate... keep your original NES. Mostly your old carts... they're going for a premium right now for some of the rarer titles.

And I look at it like this... you can have the nice TV, but a nice TV can wait... there'll always be TVs to buy. How often can you get a hold of a working NES in good condition?

bread's done
Back