Solatorobo: Red the Hunter (DS) - Catching scorned MML3 fans on the rebound! Out Now!

Cao Cao

CAGiversary!
logo.png

All first-run copies will include a soundtrack CD.
Preorder @ Amazon
Preorder @ Gamestop

Official Japanese site

Japanese Trailer

Famitsu Scans
Direct links to the pages:
http://www.gamekyo.com/images3_4_35322.html
http://www.gamekyo.com/images2_4_35322.html
http://www.gamekyo.com/images1_4_35322.html
http://www.gamekyo.com/images0_4_35322.html

CyberConnect2 did another countdown recently, and the intended game was revealed a bit early in this week's Famitsu scans. The game will be Solarobo, a DS Action-RPG that seems to be a spiritual sequel to Tail Concerto.

Tail Concerto was one of CyberConnect2's earlier titles, released in 1998 for the PSOne. It takes place on a SteamPunk world inhabited by anthropomorphic cats and dogs. The main character of TC was Waffle Ryebread, a canine cop who piloted a small steam-powered mech and went up against the Black Cat Gang, a gang of kittens led by one of his former childhood friends, Alicia Pris. A gameplay video of the original Tail Concerto is below.

Solarobo: While the name does not make any direct reference to TC, it takes place in the same sort of world. This time, the protagonist is Red Savarin, a dog who pilots the DAHAK-AZ103 mech, accompanied by his little sister Chocolat Gelato and mysterious cat Ell Melizee. The scans then go over some of the characters and bosses he'll meet on his adventure, and you can read all about it in AndriaSang's translation below.

AndriaSang's translation of the Famitsu article:
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/03/17/solarobo/

The identity of CyberConnect2's mystery DS title was revealed in advanced today via the usual Famitsu leaks. Namco Bandai will be publishing the CyberConnect2-developed Solarobo for release in 2010.

Solarobo, fully "Solarobo Sore Kara Coda E" (roughly, "And Then To Coda"), is an original fully 3D RPG that has been in the planning for ten years and in development for three years. The game promises an epic human drama and a sci-fi theme featuring robots, or, as they're known in the game, "robos."

"Human" drama may not be the correct phrase here. Solarobo is set on the floating island world of the Shepherd Republic. This world has two races, Inubito and Nekobito. The names can be translated to "Dog People" and "Cat People." The characters shown in the Famitsu artwork have the cat and dog faces to match the names.

You play as Red Savarin, a 17-year-old Inubito. The story kicks off when Red meets Ell Melizee, a mysterious Nekobito. Red and his younger sister, the 13-year-old Chocolat Gelato, will travel together through the game.

Red has a mech called Dahak-AZ103. For the most part, you'll be exploring the game's towns and dungeons while riding Dehak. You can use the Dehak to do such things as grab enemies, pick up crates, catch and toss back missiles at enemies, and toss treasure boxes to break them open.

The mech can't go everywhere, though. Sometimes, you'll have to leave the protection of Dehak and explore on foot. Red is quite capable on his own, can can break objects, climb ladders, control switches, swim, and even battle enemies with his combination gun and sword.

Although Solarobo is just being announced today, we've actually been looking at it for quite a while now. For the past few years, CyberConnect2 has been promoting a mysterious new title at its official site through the following artwork:

That's artwork from the new game. The Famitsu story has artwork from a similar city scape. The old teaser site showing the artwork now bounces to the new countdown teaser site that CyberConnect2 opened late last week.

The artwork shown in Famitsu is all hand drawn. This appears to be one of the themes for the game's visual style. The game's opening animation will use animation from animation studio Mad House.

There seems to be quite a bit more to Solarobo than what's mentioned in the Famitsu article. The game info box that accompanies all Famitsu previews mentions four player multiplayer along with support for Nintendo's Wi-Fi connection service.

Tail Concerto (PSOne)

Last edited by a moderator:
They announced the Japanese release details (date, price, editions, etc.). Now it's called Solatorobo and it is set for October 28th in Japan. Both editions come with a Prelude DVD, and the collector's edition comes with a soundtrack and artbook.
spec_01.jpg
spec_02.jpg

spec_03.jpg
spec_04.jpg

spec_05.jpg
spec_06.jpg

Son of a fucking bitch! Damnit NOA, how the hell do you let NOE announce both Xenoblade localization and publishing of Solartorobo while you sit there and do....absolutely nothing. All you have to do is announce, that's it! Damnit to hell. :(

I guess if they really don't announce it for here, I'm importing. Again. fuck.

[quote name='M-PG71C']and publishing of Solartorobo [/QUOTE]
Publishing is not the same as distributing. NOE is not publishing Solatorobo.

Distributed by Nintendo of Europe? Looks like this is another game we aren't getting in America!

Nintendo of America, please go fuck yourself. Repeatedly. With a serrated knife.

Sorry I'm a little riled up about the whole AAI2 thing.

[quote name='pete5883']Publishing is not the same as distributing. NOE is not publishing Solatorobo.[/QUOTE]

Something tells me it wouldn'tve come out without NOE distributing it. I am almost certain we are SOL here, as there's no way NOA will do it.

I am still trying to figure out how NoE can bring Inazuma Eleven, Last Window, Xenoblade, and now Solatorbo while NoA sit on their butt and do nothing.

All we got is Glory of heracles.

[quote name='62t']I am still trying to figure out how NoE can bring Inazuma Eleven, Last Window, Xenoblade, and now Solatorbo while NoA sit on their butt and do nothing.

All we got is Glory of heracles.[/QUOTE]

Nintendo of Europe is obviously a better company with better people who have a better idea about what real gamers want, and they're able to balance that with the casual side very well.

NOA is all about the casual gamer now. They aren't paying any attention to us at all. If they try to give us something "hardcore," it's usually a big miss because they have no idea what hardcore gamers want anymore. They think Glory of Heracles is what we want? No sorry, we don't want a 2 year old mediocre clichefest.

Don't forget Disaster came to Europe as well.

[quote name='62t']I am still trying to figure out how NoE can bring Inazuma Eleven, Last Window, Xenoblade, and now Solatorbo while NoA sit on their butt and do nothing.

Hmm...you got me thinking more about European DS imports. Is there already a thread that lists all past DS games that became available in Europe but not in US? The search didn't come up with any for me. I'd love to try out any such games that are highly recommended/regarded by many.

Does anyone know how to import European games honestly? I hate to resort to eBay to try to find these titles, its really hit or miss. As for Glory of Heracles....it was okay, for $10 or less. Of all the damn things to bring though, for that much money in localization, they could've brought Soma Bringer instead.

NOA has really disappointed me this generation though. At least NOE is getting it right, time to import.

@62t

Meh, close enough for me, the fact its coming and Nintendo has their hand in the process somewhere means we got the chance of actually playing it without having to learn Japanese. :D

Wait, what was that about Inazuma Eleven? I thought it was coming out in the US, too. Well, dammit.

[quote name='M-PG71C']Does anyone know how to import European games honestly? I hate to resort to eBay to try to find these titles, its really hit or miss. As for Glory of Heracles....it was okay, for $10 or less. Of all the damn things to bring though, for that much money in localization, they could've brought Soma Bringer instead.

NOA has really disappointed me this generation though. At least NOE is getting it right, time to import.

@62t

Meh, close enough for me, the fact its coming and Nintendo has their hand in the process somewhere means we got the chance of actually playing it without having to learn Japanese. :D[/QUOTE]
Play-Asia or having a friend in the EU to get stuff for you are generally the best ways to go. Expect to pay a lot though; EU DS games are NOT cheap.

[quote name='Batcave Dweller']Hmm...you got me thinking more about European DS imports. Is there already a thread that lists all past DS games that became available in Europe but not in US? The search didn't come up with any for me. I'd love to try out any such games that are highly recommended/regarded by many.[/QUOTE]

Inazuma Eleven, Last Window, Jam with the band (Daigasso! Band Brothers DX), Tingle RPG, and Ys Stragey. Thats ab out it

[quote name='62t']Inazuma Eleven, Last Window, Jam with the band (Daigasso! Band Brothers DX), Tingle RPG, and Ys Stragey. Thats ab out it[/QUOTE]

Thanks for mentioning other games. I"ll go read previews/reviews on them.

Did anybody here play the Last Window? I'm just curious if there are any differences between NOA and NOE's localizations. Based on what happened to LW, NOE's announcements look like the kiss of death to any game we're hoping get localized.

[quote name='DQT']Did anybody here play the Last Window? I'm just curious if there are any differences between NOA and NOE's localizations. Based on what happened to LW, NOE's announcements look like the kiss of death to any game we're hoping get localized.[/QUOTE]

Last Window uses British English instead of American English

Both Nintendo Life and GoNintendo have said that Solatorobo is coming to the US, and that there should be an announcement later this month:
http://tinycartridge.com/post/6590163757/report-solatorobo-coming-to-the-states

EDIT: It's pretty much confirmed now. Casey Loe of Warning A Huge Podcast confirmed that it is the mystery game that they teased in latest episode, and Siliconera added more fuel to the confirmation fire. In the latest tidbit, the domain registrar for Solatorobo.com is XSeed.

Looks like it's coming courtesy XSEED. A little good news coming off of so many disappointments from E3 (no Xenoblade, Valkyria 3, etc.) They said that they also have an unannounced horror title in the works, yeah? I'm still hoping for Danganronpa.

[quote name='Cao Cao']Both Nintendo Life and GoNintendo have said that Solatorobo is coming to the US, and that there should be an announcement later this month:
http://tinycartridge.com/post/6590163757/report-solatorobo-coming-to-the-states

EDIT: It's pretty much confirmed now. Casey Loe of Warning A Huge Podcast confirmed that it is the mystery game that they teased in latest episode, and Siliconera added more fuel to the confirmation fire. In the latest tidbit, the domain registrar for Solatorobo.com is XSeed.[/QUOTE]

Sweet! I'll probably pick it up to support these games.

You can blame all the casual gamers who bought all the garbage games this generation, if Nintendo can sell garbage games just the same as a game the more hardcore would be interested in then why bother to bring over actual good games if the bad games are selling just as well as the good?

The problem here is that Nintendo will be hit hard next gen because the casual gamers are already satisfied with what they have and they aren't willing to drop more money on another console when they are satisfied with Wii sports and whatever else the Wii has to offer. The hardcore gamers have been ticked off enough by Nintendo's constant lies and false promises that they will jump ship to another console very fast. They may purchase a Wii U but it won't be their only purchase this gen.

Theoretically if a game is bad it shouldn't sell, but when you put a bad game on the shelf for 19.99 next to a good game for 49.99 your average shopper will take the cheaper game, regardless of how good or bad the game is.

Tail concerto was also the weirdest game I think I ever played.

Well looks like I am gonna have to buy this now for two reasons. One this looks good and two to support these games coming here.

I am glad to see this get released in the US. I never had a chance to play the original game, but this looks great.

Here's a story trailer from XSeed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yh6n6tM0VmM

There was some discussion on GAF about how this is a DSi-enhanced title. It's been mentioned before, but I think this was the first time some specifics were given. As a DSi-enhanced title, it is region-locked on the DSi(XL) and 3DS and region-free on the DS Lite/Phat, but there are a few minor advantages to playing it on a DSi(XL) or 3DS.
1) Online aspects - Solatorobo has some downloadable quests. When played on a DSi or 3DS, you can use your Advanced Connection Settings (WPA, WPA2, etc.) profiles to download these quests. EDIT: XSeed confirmed that the quests will be on the cart. Don't need to go online.
2) Frame rate - Solatorobo takes advantage of the better CPU in DSi mode to deliver a smoother frame rate during the (apparently) rare segments that would be rough on a DS Phat/Lite.
3) Camera functions - Not that important, but you can take a picture of yourself that will appear as an in-game asset, I think.

And I might as well mention some reviews for the European version:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-07-06-solatorobo-red-the-hunter-review?page=1
http://www.cubed3.com/review/1016
http://ds.nintendolife.com/reviews/2011/07/solatorobo_red_the_hunter_ds
http://ds.ign.com/articles/118/1181267p1.html

Also, there's a video of the game's first 20 minutes up at Youtube that might be worth checking out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc8Pd0omeuE

[quote name='Cao Cao']
3) Camera functions - Not that important, but you can take a picture of yourself that will appear as an in-game asset, I think.
[/QUOTE]
I believe I read on Wikipedia that you can use the picture as your save icon.

For all you MML fans that got upset about the cancellation, you should give this game a whirl.

It's the sequel to Tails Concerto and the folks behind the game have been in 'pre-production' on the title since Tail Concerto's release. The Japanese limited edition's artbook shows that these guys planned this title out down to the plumbing of the towns even though that stuff wasn't actually implemented in game.

All in all quite a good game with a LOT of content and it's actually rather fun to play. Don't be afraid to give it a shot.

[quote name='meerkatgamer']Game looks awesome this kinda reminds me of a game on the playstation forgot the name. >.<

I plan to pre order this right away![/QUOTE]

Tail Concerto. It's basically a sequel.

^That's good, especially for me since I can't get my DS online at home and prefer all DLC right away. Instead of waiting for a game of the year edition like version.

More incentive for me to preorder this from my local Gamestop.

just found out about the OST bigger box, sweetness
cancelled and reordered on amazon just to make sure i get the right one

looks fun and i love anything XSeed makes

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Gamestop preorders come with the soundtrack right? If so I am going to preorder it tomorrow.[/QUOTE]
Soundtrack seems to be in the package.

bread's done
Back