Amazon DoTD Dissidia Final Fantasy $18.98 (PSP)

This the cheapest deal going on this game? Hmm might have to bite, reviews seem pretty good.

This has gone on sale so many times in the last four months that I don't even remember what the cheapest price was so far. Anyone know?

[quote name='ronin47']I think the cheapest price was $14.99 during the Christmas sale.[/QUOTE]Yep. Bought it then and still haven't even opened my copy. :)

[quote name='HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ']Is this game worth it if your more of a final fantasy fan then a fighting game fan? I like some fighting games but I'm not sure about this.[/QUOTE]

Its pretty good but not amazing. They took the main hero for each Final Fantasy game then gave them each a story mode which relates surprisingly well to the world the character came from. So for instance in Tidus's cases its how badly he wants to beat his father who is on the side of the 10 villians from FF games, only problem is that Jecht reveals himself to not be such a bad guy. In FFIV's case its his relationship with Golbez. While most are short but solid story editions a few are questionable. For instance Clouds whole story is him wondering why he is always fighting(meaning nothing to do with any established fiction for him up to this point).

The game play consists of walking around a grid map where if you hit an enemy Icon you must fight it and if you hit a chest icon you open it. Characters have levels and weapons and accessories just like in an FF game you gain through both battle, shopping and other means. I think many of the accecories are confusing though since they relate to the battle system and words I dont quite understand.

Basics for battle system is you run around on a 3D battle field against another FF charcter. You have a Brv Attack button, a jump button, defend/dash button and hp attack button. Battle is won by knocking out an opponents HP, only problem is that you have Brv points which work like extra defense. If your brv is low you take more damage(or if its at 0 you instantly die if hit)but if its high your attacks do little.

THe battle system like the game isnt bad, but it does have a bit too much running around and chassing after each other for my taste. It feels like they took something like Powerstone then stripped it of the fun power ups and put complicated moves in its place.

So like I said a fun game, worth $15....but dont expect a AAA title by any means.

I'll mimic the "good but not great" comments, but also add that this is one of the most addictive games ever if you're the loot gathering type. There is a simply insane amount of unlockable bonuses in this game and items to collect--as more purchase options become revealed in the stores, it's hard not have a little geek orgasm (especially if loot gathering is normally the primary focus of your we-, I mean game, dreams). The game has an in-game calendar system, which rewards you both for playing on specific days of the week and for playing as many days consecutively as you can. It all works together to make a game that, despite its flaws, I found myself booting up every evening for about a month.

[quote name='HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ']Is this game worth it if your more of a final fantasy fan then a fighting game fan? I like some fighting games but I'm not sure about this.[/QUOTE]
Last I checked there's still a demo out there so you can give the battle system a go. Your choice in fighters is obviously limited and there's no demoing of the "story mode", but it gives you a good idea of what to expect in the actual gameplay.

Personally, the demo quenched my thirst for this game for now so I'm waiting for it to hit $10-15 through some inevitable sale or promo. At $19, the game is a good buy. At $10-15, it's a must buy.

[quote name='wampa8jedi']I'll mimic the "good but not great" comments, but also add that this is one of the most addictive games ever if you're the loot gathering type. There is a simply insane amount of unlockable bonuses in this game and items to collect--as more purchase options become revealed in the stores, it's hard not have a little geek orgasm (especially if loot gathering is normally the primary focus of your we-, I mean game, dreams). The game has an in-game calendar system, which rewards you both for playing on specific days of the week and for playing as many days consecutively as you can. It all works together to make a game that, despite its flaws, I found myself booting up every evening for about a month.[/QUOTE]

All so very true. Game is super addicting and well suited for a portable--a shining example for all PSP software to follow.

PRO-TIP: the game automatically records every match in replay form, and then has a built in converter to create .avi's out of the replay files to you can share them with people. Awesome idea!

The FF fan is really the only one who will enjoy this. As a pure fighter it's nothing special, but this game is a great tribute to fans of the series.

Simply put, if you found yourself wanting a playable version of Advent Children's fighting scenes (except taking place in stages from the first ten games rather than just VII), pick this up. It's just not as epic and the fighting system is limited.

And if you're a PSP graphics whore, this is a must by. :p

bread's done
Back