EA Pocket Trax

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
http://psp.ign.com/articles/589/589078p1.html

EA has been jamming its games full of music for years now, and with its EA Trax feature, they took it a step further by allowing gamers their choice of dozens of songs out of a game's soundtrack. The EA Trax feature is now coming to the company's PSP games, and with Pocket Trax, EA is going further still with some cool features that make use of Sony's new handheld.

Pocket Trax is essentially your chooser for in-game music -- as with the console games, you can tab on and off the music selections for personalized playlist of the songs included in the game. With the PSP, EA is taking advantage of the storage space afforded by the 1.8GB UMD by including videos of the song for play on the Pocket Trax menu. For any of the handful of songs that feature music videos, just scroll through to find the video icon and hit a button -- hi-res video pops up on the PSP's widescreen system. And for tracks that don't have a video, EA has included a bunch of WinAmp-style visualizations to give some graphic design to the music playback. These visualizations can even interact with the tunes -- on the EA Pocket Trax tunes we tried with the PSP FIFA, team logos bumped in time to the music or flew across the screen as a screensaver. You can scroll through the different visualization modules while playing by tabbing with the D-Pad.

Pocket Trax will also act as a portable soundtrack for the game -- although the tunes will not be playable in the PSP's Music menu on the XMB dashboard, you can have the system play all the tracks in a row (there isn't a play-all button, but once you're in the Pocket Trax mode, the tunes will play through.) Standard battery saving features, depending on your personal settings, will also kick in or manually available so that you can turn the screen off and toss the system in your backpack to run the game's music as if it's on your own MP3 playlist.

Check out the videos here to see how it looks on the PSP.

These are some pretty cool features. The winamp-style visualations look pretty cool, and the music videos do look nice. It's nice to see EA adding these cool features to their PSP games to expand outside of just offering the game.

Sounds cool and interesting to see how they implement it, but most of their soundtracks suck IMO. Also, it's EA. I wouldn't mind seeing another company like Activision do this, because of most of their soundtracks (especially their extreme sports like Tony Hawk) aren't too bad.

[quote name='DenisDFat']it's not like the games are any good, so why not slap some crappy music on t, too![/quote]

Yeah, I suppose you've been able to actually play the games!!

Not to support EA, but this type of ignorant bashing is stupid.

when's the last time anything that didn't suck and had decent music come out of EA? 199never? I rest my case.

[quote name='DenisDFat']when's the last time anything that didn't suck and had decent music come out of EA? 199never? I rest my case.[/quote]

Actually Fight Night was great game and modearte soundtrack. Other than that, no, nothing.

SSX3 is a good game with an awesome soundtrack (i actually bought a copy of it!)

I will admit im excited about this idea. It seems the more i listen to a song, the more i enjoy it.

Although yes, id prefer Tony Hawk music to EAGames.

[quote name='DenisDFat']when's the last time anything that didn't suck and had decent music come out of EA? 199never? I rest my case.[/quote]

ahh for once a nintendo fanboy has stepped up and taken some heat, god knows i take enough of it for being a Sony fanboy.

Overall i think the idea is cool. I think Video is going to be a big selling factor with PSP, thats my #2 reason why i bought mine, the video and converting it rocks and is easy. I like the idea of Music video's. I've actually discovered alot of new bands with EAs music in there games. Sorry fatty if it doesn't appeal to you, but that doesn't mean that the music sucks? :roll: Go turn on your zelda theme and strip to that! :shock: :p :shock:

bread's done
Back