Upgrading Prebuilt

Earmuffin585

CAGiversary!
I have a prebuilt HP computer and I want to change case and psu. Is it a difficult thing to do.I have decent of amount of skill. The problem is I looked at pics of a case and it's back area doesn't match the motherboard io shield plate , is there a way to fix that?

[quote name='Earmuffin585']I have a prebuilt HP computer and I want to change case and psu. Is it a difficult thing to do.I have decent of amount of skill. The problem is I looked at pics of a case and it's back area doesn't match the motherboard io shield plate , is there a way to fix that?[/QUOTE]

What model of HP exactly do you have?

[quote name='Earmuffin585']I have a prebuilt HP computer and I want to change case and psu. Is it a difficult thing to do.I have decent of amount of skill. The problem is I looked at pics of a case and it's back area doesn't match the motherboard io shield plate , is there a way to fix that?[/QUOTE]

you take out the I/O shield on the case and put the one that matches your motherboard in :cool:

The PSU will be an easy swap. Just make sure you have the right motherboard connection. The back I/O port board might pop out, but I can't seem to find a pic of the back. You could kinda sorta get away with leaving it open, since all cases come with an empty space there. However, the main hang up might be the mounting. The motherboard will most likely be an intel, so the cpu fan will need some clearance underneath of it. If you are going to go through with it, I'd recommend popping on a higher end CPU fan as well. Just read up on thermal paste and remember, THIS WILL VOID THE WARRANTY!

If you really wanted to get that plate out, you could also try to cut it out with a dremmel and maybe use a liquid weld to put it in the new case. But if you're going to get into that, why not just go full tilt and get a bare bones kit and build a rig yourself? It will cost more, but it can be a fun weekend project.

The only thing I would do is to make sure that the size of the motherboard matches the size of the case.

Upgrading the PSU seems... kinda weird though. Just the PSU? What are you adding to it to where it needs more power?

[quote name='kainzero']The only thing I would do is to make sure that the size of the motherboard matches the size of the case.

Upgrading the PSU seems... kinda weird though. Just the PSU? What are you adding to it to where it needs more power?[/QUOTE]

maybe he just wants one that looks cooler :)

The case comes with an IO shield but every motherboard has a different IO set, which is why the motherboard also has its own IO shield.

[quote name='Earmuffin585']will a micro ATX fit in this case?[/QUOTE]

I thought you just want to change the case and PSU? The HP computer you have now is a micro ATX case and has a micro ATX motherboard. You can buy either a micro ATX case or full size ATX case and your HP parts *SHOULD* be compatible with your new case. If you want to stick another motherboard into your current HP case, it has to be a micro ATX motherboard.

[quote name='KaOTiK']make sure you get a powersupply with at least 1.21 jigawatts of power[/QUOTE]

It needs an open PCI-E slot for the flux capacitor too.

You shouldn't have any trouble swapping the HP board into a new case, almost all after-market cases have mounting points for just about any form factor - Just read the description and make sure.

Power supplies are pretty universal, just make sure it has a 24 (if that's what the HP board has, if not, then it's 20) pin power connector for the motherboard.

As for the I/O shield... if it doesn't pop out of the HP case, then you'll just have to leave the I/O area open on the new case because generally the (correctly fitting) I/O shields only come with motherboards when you buy them.

bread's done
Back