Xbox 360 250 GB Hard Drive $129.99 Amazon FSS UPDATED: Gamestop $97 with coupon 4/2

Anexanhume

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-250GB-Hard-Drive/dp/B003C1VPEY/ref=amb_link_292329822_1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=top-1&pf_rd_r=1PAXTYCMQ3ANDG2FK97A&pf_rd_t=301&pf_rd_p=1253806422&pf_rd_i=360%20250%20gb

Stock arrives March 28th.

Can get it for 97 at gamestop with a "25off" code.

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=77266

DISCLAIMER: MAY NOT BE HONORED

UPDATE: Looks like orders are getting canceled by gamestop.

[quote name='truckasauras']I know the web site allows you to apply the 25off code, but if you read the text on there it says "Not valid on consoles or hard drives. Offer subject to change. - XB360 Hard Drive 250GB"

I doubt they will honor the $97 sale price with the coupon. I was ready to purchase this until I saw that text.[/QUOTE]

Update: try the following:

[quote name='paperkut']FYI ... ENT20 (or 10AUTO) works for 250 GB XBOX HD ... LOL.

order before they catch on ... too bad I got mine already ...[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it's still a terrible price for a 250GB hard drive, but $130 is a lot easier to swallow knowing that the 120GB hard drive sold for that price just a few months ago.

And this is really nice:

The Xbox 360 250GB Hard Drive includes a data transfer kit to easily transfer your data from your 20GB, 60GB or 120GB HDD to your 250GB HD.

So, no need to pay Microsoft separately for that kit.

Guess it's almost time to upgrade my old 20GB. Just need some kind of a deal on this.

Hoping that means the smaller drives will drop in price...still stuck at 20GB but I'm not sure I need THAT big of a jump considering I got rid of most of my games recently.

I payed $135 for a 120gb 3 months ago... oh well, 120gb is enough, but twice the space for the same price would have been nice.

The transfer kit included with the 250GB drive is the "newer" one that will work in the following two ways:

1) Smaller to larger drive
2) Same sized drive to same sized drive

Much better than the old 20GB to 120GB drive only scenario.

And I agree, this is a much better cost/GB ratio than the old one.

this is pretty great, i'm still on my old 20gb HDD and have been looking to upgrade for a while.

quick question- with the transfer kit, does it erase all the info on the old drive as well?

$129.99 MSRP means they'll be $99 used at Gamestop which means the 120GB used drives will probably drop in price too. Nice!

[quote name='y2jasper']this is pretty great, i'm still on my old 20gb HDD and have been looking to upgrade for a while.

quick question- with the transfer kit, does it erase all the info on the old drive as well?[/QUOTE]
Yes, it'll erase everything from your old HDD

[quote name='bert90987']Does anybody have any idea of how much you could get for a 20GB drive trade in at gamestop?[/QUOTE]
About $15.

[quote name='BingoBrown']Well, it's still a terrible price for a 250GB hard drive, but $130 is a lot easier to swallow knowing that the 120GB hard drive sold for that price just a few months ago.

And this is really nice:

So, no need to pay Microsoft separately for that kit.

Guess it's almost time to upgrade my old 20GB. Just need some kind of a deal on this.[/QUOTE]

+1, I'm in line, too. Best gaming news of 2010, so far!

Really wish they would make black ones. It would help entice me to buy one. Wish they would have stuck to one damn color scheme. Would probably be cheaper for them.

[quote name='Dr. Treye']Or you could make your own for less than
$60... somebody had to say it.[/QUOTE]

Until Microsoft decides to ban bootleg hard drives. :roll:

[quote name='John187']You can buy genuine 250 gb Hd's off of Ebay for 76.99$ shipped straight from Hong Kong. I've bought at least 10 already :)[/QUOTE]

I presume you're joking. Those are almost certainly bootleg drives and most likely they don't support backward compatibility. I don't know if there are any other issues or not, but certainly they aren't genuine.

Something to consider before you put out your cash for one of these: will it work with the rumored "Slim" 360? If not and you think you might want to upgrade to the new design, this might not be a good investment.

[quote name='guyver2077']wait.. the old transfer kits dont work using 120gb > 250gb?[/QUOTE]Nope. The old one only does 20GB to 120GB and nothing else. New one works as I posted, same to same and small to large.

[quote name='iRent']Really wish they would make black ones. It would help entice me to buy one. Wish they would have stuck to one damn color scheme. Would probably be cheaper for them.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm still waiting for them to release a black HD-DVD drive...

[quote name='guyver2077']wait.. the old transfer kits dont work using 120gb > 250gb?[/QUOTE]

It depends by what you mean by old...The first retail 120gb drives (the ones sold by themselves) had a software disk that only worked on transfers from 20gb to 120gb drives (not surprising given that those were the only drive sizes available at that time)..Move ahead a year or so in time and other drive sizes started to come out....MS then updated software so it would work on any size drive (although you still have to be transferring from an smaller or equal sized drive, never moving from a larger to a smaller drive). So more recent retail 120gb drives should have software that works on 60gb etc.

Some of us pieced this out in this thread on the MW2 bundle a few months ago. The discussion starts near the bottom and goes on the next page

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236963&page=13

[quote name='crunchewy']Something to consider before you put out your cash for one of these: will it work with the rumored "Slim" 360? If not and you think you might want to upgrade to the new design, this might not be a good investment.[/QUOTE]
I was waiting for the new Spring Bundle to get a new elite.
I heard about the "rumored" slim and started waiting. Now that MS has released this I feel it's ok to still by the current model. A slimmer model would be great but either way I'll get a few years out it.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Why would MS release a slim model? So it can overheat quicker?[/QUOTE]

If it's smaller, it'll cost them less when it comes to all the shipping labels for the warranty repairs...

[quote name='K_G']It depends by what you mean by old...The first retail 120gb drives (the ones sold by themselves) had a software disk that only worked on transfers from 20gb to 120gb drives (not surprising given that those were the only drive sizes available at that time)..Move ahead a year or so in time and other drive sizes started to come out....MS then updated software so it would work on any size drive (although you still have to be transferring from an smaller or equal sized drive, never moving from a larger to a smaller drive). So more recent retail 120gb drives should have software that works on 60gb etc.

Some of us pieced this out in this thread on the MW2 bundle a few months ago. The discussion starts near the bottom and goes on the next page

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236963&page=13[/QUOTE]Try this, which was a post I made about the two different transfer kits, and a lot quicker than pawing through the above thread:

[quote name='shrike4242']Here's the comparison between the two transfer kits:

Transfer kit packed in my 120GB drive box, from 2007:
Cable:
Has a P/N of X812003-001 listed on a sticker on the side of the cable.
Transfer CD:
Has a "0207 Part No. X13-45328-02" on the CD sleeve
Has "MEDIA SET: X13-45472-01" on a sticker on the CD sleeve.
Has a picture of an Xbox 360 showing the 20GB drive attached to the 360 and the 120GB drive connected via the USB transfer cable.
CD has a copyright date of 2006, with a "0107 Part No. X13-45476-01" on the CD itself.

Transfer kit Microsoft just sent me when I told them my existing transfer cable wouldn't work:
Cable:
Has a P/N of X815251-002 listed on a sticker on the side of the cable.
Transfer CD:
Has a "0807 Part No. X13-45328-04" on the CD sleeve
Has "MEDIA SET: X13-45472-03" on a sticker on the CD sleeve.
Has a picture of an Xbox 360 showing the a drive attached to the 360 and another drive connected via the USB transfer cable. Doesn't show sizes of the drives.
CD has a copyright date of 2007, with a "0807 Part No. X13-45476-02" on the CD itself.
The included documentation mentions that the transfer cable will work on drive transfers between two same sized drives or from a smaller drive to a larger one. Specifically says that a transfer from a larger drive to a smaller one won't work.

The one I used to copy data from my 120GB drive to my 250GB drive was the second set, not the first one. First one wouldn't work when I tried it with the 120GB to 250GB copy.[/QUOTE]

I called MS and managed to get them to send me a "replacement" transfer kit when I couldn't get the existing one I had from my retail pack 120GB drive to work with the 250GB drive on my MW2 Super Elite. The info above was a comparison between the two kits.

In for one as soon as I can find at least 10% BCB and free shipping, I've been struggling with space on my 20gb for way too long, but refused to fuel Microsofts evil pricing strategy.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Why would MS release a slim model? So it can overheat quicker?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='bitzer']If it's smaller, it'll cost them less when it comes to all the shipping labels for the warranty repairs...[/QUOTE]

greener because of smaller foot prints at the waste land. ;)

seriously, if the slim does materialize, the cpu and gpu will shrink too thus using less power and producing less heat, which will work in a smaller casing.

I could have sworn I posted in this thread before...

Anyway, the price sucks, just not as badly as I thought. I'll definitely be ordering one soon. After the RE5 DLC, I am now officially out of space.

My 60GB has more than enough room...for now. So, I'll have to see what they do with the pricing later in the year.

Though my friend will be happy (well, happy in the sense that he'd get 250GB instead of 120GB for $130. Though he's big into computers and the whole price/gb thing of normal hard drives) about this with his full 20GB drive.

This is an outrage. M$ should be rewarding their loyal customers and make it cheaper than $99.

I understand this is aligned with their online distribution model w/o physical media (i.e. blu-ray).. but forcing their install base to pay extra $$ on top of those who previously bought 60gb/120gb models is a disservice.

If they want to offer value at this price, it should be in the 500gb or 1TB (just to make a statement against Sony).

Does anyone else feel that it should be cheaper? Or am I the minority who thinks it's overpriced? I'm actually thinking of saving the money and fork out an extra $170 for a PS3!

[quote name='TH']Does anyone else feel that it should be cheaper? Or am I the minority who thinks it's overpriced? I'm actually thinking of saving the money and fork out an extra $170 for a PS3![/QUOTE]

Trust me, we all think it should be cheaper. Microsoft could still make a profit at half the price. But we realize that this is a big step up from $130 for 120GB of storage. So, while it's bad, it's not as bad as it was just a few months ago.

[quote name='TH']Does anyone else feel that it should be cheaper?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='BingoBrown']Trust me, we all think it should be cheaper. Microsoft could still make a profit at half the price. But we realize that this is a big step up from $130 for 120GB of storage. So, while it's bad, it's not as bad as it was just a few months ago.[/QUOTE]

Yeah... we're all conditioned n' stuff. :whee:

Mother Shaq-Fu'er. I literally just bought a transfer cable last night from Microsoft's Official store; cost me $21.98 shipped. Damn it all. I may have to jump on this anyway, my 120GB is almost constantly full, thanks to my RB content and game installs.

Has anyone seen this in the wild today? I was hoping to hit up Target/Gamestop later and pick one up. Any confirmation that they're on store shelves? The Microsoft press release says available now.

IMO, they won't be releasing a Slim 360 anytime soon because they're working hard on Project Natal. Maybe 2012? So you could still go for this as there is no new model to wait for in maybe 2 years.

[quote name='BingoBrown']Trust me, we all think it should be cheaper. Microsoft could still make a profit at half the price. But we realize that this is a big step up from $130 for 120GB of storage. So, while it's bad, it's not as bad as it was just a few months ago.[/QUOTE]

Quite well said. I don't think any CAG feels these hard drives are priced fairly. It's an obscene mark-up. But it is what it is, and it's not the $150+ they were charging for the 120GB drive.

bread's done
Back