Planet Minigolf - PSN Minigolf from the Zen Pinball devs - Out Now with Demo - $9.99

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
jpeg

ZEN Studios is ready to set the course on fire today as it announced Planet MiniGolf will be coming exclusively to PlayStation®Network in Spring 2010! ZEN is applying its acclaimed ball physics engine used in top-selling ZEN Pinball to deliver the best golf experience on PlayStation!

Planet MiniGolf delivers a deep single-player campaign with beautiful and intricate courses and over 140 challenging holes to play through, as well as a multitude of fun multi-player options, from the local hotseat mode to weekly online tournaments and a Worldwide Competition mode.

“Just as we have delivered the ultimate pinball experience with ZEN Pinball, Planet MiniGolf will serve as the ultimate arcade golfing experience on the PlayStation Network,” said Zsolt Kigyossy, managing director of ZEN Studios. “Planet MiniGolf gives casual players and golfing aficionados alike everything they could ask for in a golf game, with wacky courses, character customization, custom course builder and global competitions.”

Planet MiniGolf features:

• A deep and engaging single player campaign taking players through fantastically designed courses with over 140 different holes
  • Worldwide Tournament Play – Set up personal tournaments with a group of friends or go online up against gamers from around the world!
  • Golf Course Editor – Build, manage and share golf courses…make them crazy, challenging and wacky and then upload to share them online!
  • PlayStation Move Functionality – Planet MiniGolf will be fully compatible with PlayStation 3’s upcoming motion control system, “Move”
  • Multi-national Game - Countries in the world are represented on the global leader boards!

[quote name='SynGamer']$9.99 or less and I think I'm sold...then again, I'm expecting a new Hot Shots Golf title to be announced at E3.[/QUOTE]

That + Move = my money paying for it

Can't wait for this one either!

It looks like an interesting game. The dancing CG characters kind of turned me off; that's pretty lame IMO. I would have liked to see more game play video for the single player. But it still looks nice so far.

[quote name='SynGamer']then again, I'm expecting a new Hot Shots Golf title to be announced at E3.[/QUOTE]

Probably the only thing that will have me look at Move.

Zen Studios is still one of the stand out PSN devs in my mind. I really liked a lot of Creat and Tik's initial offerings but their quality seems to have taken a dive lately. I will probably buy this on day one simply because thats a nice price and their Pinball game received a lot of great support.

Planet Minigolf finally has a release date and it's next week:
ZEN Studios' upcoming arcade golfing multiplayer game Planet MiniGolf has officially been set to launch exclusively to PlayStation®Network June 1, 2010 for $9.99!

Planet MiniGolf is the mini-golf game of the year, offering hours of rich and lengthy gameplay across several different environments and a near limitless amount of customization options. Players can personalize their avatar, customize their ball and putter, and even create their own personal courses!

Be sure to check out Planet MiniGolf next Tuesday, June 1, 2010 on the PlayStation®Network. Also, don't forget about ZEN's Tips and Tricks Contest, which will be open for entries all the way up until launch! Head on over to Playstation.blog for more info and your chance to win: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/05/19/planet-minigolf-for-ps3-tricks-trailer-and-contest/

[quote name='SuperPhillip']Yet they gave ModNation Racers a 9, didn't they?
Different reviewers, I imagine, but still.[/QUOTE]

Seriously, how can they shit on one game for long load times and praise the hell out of another that suffers from the exact same problem? Oh wait...it's IGN.

Anyway, I played through the demo, and I liked it enough that I bought it. Downloading now. I didn't notice long load times during the demo, but it might be a game exclusive feature.

[quote name='SEH']Seriously, how can they shit on one game for long load times and praise the hell out of another that suffers from the exact same problem? Oh wait...it's IGN.[/QUOTE]

It's also a PSN miniature golf game versus a full size racing title that has to download tracks, mods, and karts everytime you race with someone new or somewhere new.

Furthermore, after reading the review, the mention about the load times is limited to a single sentence. Loading times aren't the only flaws they found in the game.

I was actually going to buy this just based on my love of Zen Pinball, but luckily they released the demo. The putting mechanics are a real headache. I was hoping more for a Hot Shots Golf type of learning curve, but this looks like it will take several hours to get the hang of it.

If I rememeber correctly, this is rumored to be getting Move support. If it does I may revisit it, because they may solve the sensitivity/control issue, but for now its going to be a pass.

Liking it so far after trying out a few of the warm-up courses, though my main issue is the lack of a good camera to see the entire hole. I can only rotate around the character or use a binocular mode that is more like a bird's eye view. Managed to win my first course and lost on Soho, which has some hard holes.

There are three control options, so there should be an option that works for fans of either Hot Shots or Tiger Woods. The thing I don't like about the analog stick option is that if I accidentally pull the left stick all the way back, I have to gently return it to center since it'll still perform a shot if I let go without following thru.

Move support is confirmed in the OP.

Syn, I might be on board. I played the demo a good bit last night and while it wasn't perfect, it wasn't terrible either.

I did not like how they reused some sound effects from the Pinball games.

I'm working my way through the pro courses and I'm not a fan of the way they've designed the courses. You have maybe a 10% chance of winning your first time just based on how difficult some of the holes are to understand along with hoping that the AI players aren't doing well so you still have a shot later on. It's not a deal breaker, but I know that I have a good shot at winning new courses in other golf games.

The holes also aren't really designed like any minigolf courses I've played, so there are annoying holes where you have to rely on luck to get a good score on them.

the camera in that game sucks. they should have borrowed that deal from tiger woods where circle lets you zoom in up to the hole so you can see whats what. aside from that its an ok game. id buy it if it were 5 or 6 bucks.

It's fun. I played my first online game and won! Yay.

The camera kinda sucks though, you can't always see the course layout so therefore you can't always determine how to putt. The birds eye view often gets lost behind objects and therefore completely useless.

The power ups are fun, and they add variety. You get bonus points for doing trick shots, and when you pull one off it's satistfying. I bought it so me and my friend who lives outta state can play. Something casual that we can chat and play. It does have Eye support.

It's a nice little game, I hope they patch the camera though.

Update to this today. Makes it much more user friendly. Power meter has a %# now. Par on holes seems to have changed. Camera seems to be a little better. And Move support.

bread's done
Back