Other than the built in memory (which doesn't really matter cause of cheap SD cards), are people wanting the deluxe for the color? The pack-in game you'll probably be able to find fairly cheap second hand I would think.
I don't know what part of the deluxe is a must have that spending $50 can't get you except for color. (Unless I'm completely missing one of the features of the deluxe.)
I definitely want the console in black to match literally EVERYTHING else I own. lol... I'm not paying $50 for color though, that's for sure. But with 32gb instead of 8, the Wii U stand, GamePad stand, GamePad charging cradle, Nintendo Network loyalty program (whatever it's called) 10% discount, and Nintendo Land; it's the only option that makes sense to me. I have to admit I like to have a pack-in game like Nintendo Land that shows off the system's new features; but I don't want to go out of my way pay or pay $50 for it. Throw in all that other stuff though and I'm sold. The charging cradle is a big plus for me.
Yeah, for me it was like this:
1) 32 GB vs 8 GB. Not a huge deal considering you can have external storage. But with 32GB I probably won't need to mess with external storage for a while so this convenience is worth a few bucks (let's say $15 or so value equivalent to a nice USB flash drive).
2) Wii U stand - my game shelf is pretty crowded with a PS3/360/Wii already there. I'll probably move the Wii but I still need this thing to stand up. So maybe $5 there.
3) GamePad charging cradle - this is nice, as I'd always want it to be fully-charged and ready to go. So maybe $15 value here.
4) NintenoLand. I wouldn't want to pay $50 or $60 for this, but it is fair to value this at, say, $30. And I probably will only be getting NSMB U and maybe Rayman at launch, so another game is nice to have.
5) Black console - eh, not a big deal to me, it is nice to have but really has no inherent value to me. At least this means my Wii U/PS3/360 will all match sitting side-by-side-by-side
So right there I've come up with $65 in value for the extra $50. And then there's the wildcard of the premium online service or whatever it is. Since I really don't know what that entails I put no value on it, but it could
end up being the best part if it is anything close to Playstation Plus.
So, yeah, all in all, I'd say the Deluxe is a no-brainer and based on the current preorder trends I'd say most people agree with that.
So I pre-ordered on the first day, and I now want to do the PS3 trade-in for $150. Will they let me? I can't find it on the website anymore.
Hmmm - it does appear to be gone (it was supposed to run until the 24th). I think the reason is that they are selling the preorders so fast that the promo pretty much no longer applies, and isn't necessary anyway. So they probably just pulled it.
FWIW, I tried trading in my 3DS using the promo the day after I put in my Deluxe preorder and they said the only way they could do it was to cancel that and then put in a new basic preorder (since the Deluxe were no longer available) using the promo. So, yeah, of course I turned that down. I'm sure that a savvy store manager could have figured out a way to do it, but I didn't want to press the issue. I wanted a 3DS XL anyway, so I just ended up using that promo on the last day it was good (yesterday) and got the same value for my 3DS ($100) that I would have via the Wii U promo anyway.
Edited by io, 18 September 2012 - 12:20 AM.