League of Legends anyone?

Waughoo

CAGiversary!
league-of-legends-logo-577x208.png

Well it seems we're getting a bit of a following for League of Legends here at CAG.

For those who do not know, League of Legends (LOL) is a FREE online game similar to the Warcraft 3: Frozen Throne mod "Defense of the Ancients". The game has over 60 champions to choose from, each one having their own skills and uses.

Link to download: League of Legends (yes I get credit for this);)

Here is a link to the official New User Guide for League of Legends: New User Guide

It's a lot of fun but it can also be frustrating to find a good team to play with. So I'm adding a list of all the CAGers names, LOL names, and Xfire names. I've added everyone who posted their LOL name on this board (sorry if I missed some), but I did NOT add anyone who said they play but did not list their LOL name.

THIS THREAD IS NOW A WIKI, YOU CAN NOW ADD YOUR NAMES TO THE LIST

CAG ___________ LOL _____________ XFire

Waughoo _______ Waughoo ________ waughoo81
TLPRIME ________ Worden
Morphx2 ________ FlipprDolphin
loltonytony ______ loltonytony
dabebop ________ Bravosnake
Potatoeman ______ ManyFs
Logain8955 ______ InverseMatrix
LeadSavior _______ LeadSavior
Xavin ___________ ThaReaper
Seventh _________ Feichai
icedrake523 ______ icedrake523
wakawakawa _____ Summer Summoner
Salamando3000 ___ salamando
kraivyne _________ Kray
gog0727 _________ Gog0 _________ gog0727
kaiyouske_________kaiyouske
Karunashi ________ Karunashi _____ Karunashi
cachucha ________ Cachuchin
ExplodingRat _____ ExplodingRat
Finishoff _________ Finishoff
jbang ___________ jacksalad
RisenShadow _____ RisenShadow
urmomlikesme ____ urm0mlikesme
hero101 _________ Lindor Chocolate
Kasama __________ KilU420
wckddudeman ____ wckddudeman
Ghich ___________ MoistTroll
Jam424 _________ Jam424
mrx001__________ bearswillmessUup
Luxuria___________7DSLuxuria
RabbitSuit_________Rabbitsuit
crystalklear64______ck64___________crystalklear64
GoingIncognito______Randombits
Tom Jane__________Flollop
kainzero___________jooooooooe
xilly_______________Sybaritical
Sir_Fragalot________sirfragalot
Wenislad___________Ory

Last edited by a moderator:
Used to play it a bit in the Beta, but then retail came out and I never felt like waiting for the characters that I liked to be in rotation. Nor do I feel like paying the money to use the characters that I liked. Plus I sucked.

Thats what I like about it actually, you never have to pay for anything. All the characters can be unlocked just by playing the game. The only stuff that requires real money to buy is XP and IP boosts, which give you double XP or IP for a couple days. Even those are occasionally given out for free on certain weekends. I just hit lvl 21, and have bought like 6 or so characters plus a filled all my available rune slots and I havent spent a dime.

I used to play HoN a whole lot, but I like LoL a lot more now, because of the people that play it mostly. Plus I have been told I am extremely good at the game :p . If you want, add me: ThaReaper.

HON is the hardcore, snot-nosed brat, elitist one of the two. I haven't played LOL, only HON, and the community is such a drag that sometimes I find myself wanting to go on a rampage... I might give LOL a try because I here the community is quite a bit better...

LOL is a great game, the community can be dicks at time. The only problem with this game is disconnects because if one person disconnects, the game doesn't do anything to reconnect a new player. So essentially someone could DC when the map loads and it becomes 4v5 the whole game.

Yeah, unfortunately that happens often. Usually you get at least one player who rage-quits. Thats why I'm trying to find people to play, so we can do arranged matches and not worry about quitters.

You learn alot from those people though, for instance, did you know that if someone has a bad game, they are automatically a noob? However, if someone is really pwning everyone else, then they are ALSO a noob cause they're obviously using an over-powered hero and playing cheaply. Also, if you're playing a game and you personally are doing terrible, but the rest of your team is doing great, it's because THEY are noobs! I actually played a game yesterday where someone rage-quit because "I would have killed him if that noob wasnt using heal!".

All that aside, I still love the game and have fun playing it. Oh, and the new 3x3 map came outta beta today :)

[quote name='waughoo']yeah, unfortunately that happens often. Usually you get at least one player who rage-quits. Thats why i'm trying to find people to play, so we can do arranged matches and not worry about quitters.

You learn alot from those people though, for instance, did you know that if someone has a bad game, they are automatically a noob? However, if someone is really pwning everyone else, then they are also a noob cause they're obviously using an over-powered hero and playing cheaply. Also, if you're playing a game and you personally are doing terrible, but the rest of your team is doing great, it's because they are noobs! I actually played a game yesterday where someone rage-quit because "i would have killed him if that noob wasnt using heal!".

All that aside, i still love the game and have fun playing it. Oh, and the new 3x3 map came outta beta today :)[/quote]

lol!

[quote name='Waughoo']Yeah, unfortunately that happens often. Usually you get at least one player who rage-quits. Thats why I'm trying to find people to play, so we can do arranged matches and not worry about quitters.

You learn alot from those people though, for instance, did you know that if someone has a bad game, they are automatically a noob? However, if someone is really pwning everyone else, then they are ALSO a noob cause they're obviously using an over-powered hero and playing cheaply. Also, if you're playing a game and you personally are doing terrible, but the rest of your team is doing great, it's because THEY are noobs! I actually played a game yesterday where someone rage-quit because "I would have killed him if that noob wasnt using heal!".

All that aside, I still love the game and have fun playing it. Oh, and the new 3x3 map came outta beta today :)[/QUOTE]

That is an awesome story, and it really is true, seen some of it happen myself. The DoTA community (at least for WC3) is what had kept me away for so long. Like the "No Noob/DL" games... how am I not supposed to be a noob if you won't let me DL the game and play!?!?!?! But anyway... Nice profile avatar thing (always forget the name of it).

I played Leagues of Legend awhile ago, should get back into it, but anyway my problem is that they released it way to quickly to retail. The game was good, but launching a game with only 1 playable map?

But nah I like it, well I liked it more before they decided to alter Ryze. Now I understand a nerf because then the character (or class) is the same, but weaker, or more balanced. But they completely changed how Ryze plays now with new skills... And yes i know they changed him months ago, but that was back when I played.

Dammit...this thread has inspired me to pick up this game for a few more games...cursed decently produced free game clogging up my backlog. The "First Win of the Day" bonus IP is really really nice...but it'd still take a long time to get the IP needed for a rank 4 champion. I'll hate losing Mundo when the Champion Wheel spins again in a couple days.

Gotta ask though...what's the deal with Riot Points? for 5 bucks, you get 650 RP, iirc, but any champion or skin costs more than that. Skins especially, Red Baron Corki would cost more than 10 bucks (and skins cannot be bought with IP, only RP). I know they gotta make money somehow, but dang. At that rate the only skins I'll ever own are the ones I get for free, which goes against my "gotta collect everything" nature.

Ryze is still a beast after the changes. If they player is even halfway decent they can devastate any non-tank character. I use Kat, so I just wait for him to use his trap on someone else before I hop in and Death Lotus his face.

I find RP to be complete waste of time unless you use them to buy with ip or xp boots. Either of those
will give you double ip or xp earned for X number of days. The best thing to do is use an ip boost on one of Riot's occasional 'Double IP weekends'. So you could have 4x IP for a weekend, which would be like 800 IP for your first win of the day alone. There is the issue of server downtime on those weekends though. I've seen they're server go down on IP weekends twices, but only for a few hours at a time. It still screws people over though.

No, the only downtime they have is when some hackers trying to crash the server or Riot trying to update new patch.

I've been playing for a while now, almost level 30. I just recently bought Shen, but my favorite is Ezreal; my overall record with him (kills/deaths/assists) is 434/175/298.

I use Kat mainly, just cause she's fun to play. I sometimes use Ashe, but not too often. I used to use Siv, but after many many games I finally realized that I suck with her.

Played one single game back in Beta. I never was a fan of DotA types, and as such, I can't see myself getting good at it. Learning curve was a bit steep, and the community, both for HoN and my sample of LoL, was quite unforgiving

[quote name='rumarudrathas']Played one single game back in Beta. I never was a fan of DotA types, and as such, I can't see myself getting good at it. Learning curve was a bit steep, and the community, both for HoN and my sample of LoL, was quite unforgiving[/QUOTE]

It's true that it's tough to learn, but once you learn how to play it well it can be extremely rewarding. Some of the best times I've had gaming have been when I was doing well in DotA (as rare as they were).

It's A LOT better if you're playing with friends or people you know though. Find some people online or here on CAG to play with a regular basis and you'll find it to be a much better experience.

I just started playing and there is definitely a learning curve but the game play is very cool for a free game, there's lots of options and new things being added and even when you lose it's pretty fun because you'll definitely get better by playing and your "summoner" earns exp even when you lose and you get IP (which is how you upgrade stuff and purchase more hero's) every game.

Well, looks like the new problem for this week was an overabundance of players. If you tried to join a game, you'd most likely have a 5 minute wait before getting into the pre-game team chat. After that, you'd wait awhile and then be kicked back out into the waiting queue. It would always say "xxxxxx has left during champion select, you have been placed back in the matchmaking queue". Which would make sense if it happened once or twice, but it happened to me 6 times in a row! My other 2 games I played had it happen 3 or 4 times each too.

Even though its a free to play game, they do have paying customers. They need to get their servers working better.

Is there any sort of offline mode against bots, to get a feel for the gameplay before jumping online?

Nvm, seems to be a practice mode you can use bots in, awesome.

I've tried to pick this up a few times, and each time I get about 2 games in before I run into one of the...colorful members of the community. It's about then when I remember why I hate DotA so much. (Once I tried HoN instead; there it only took one game.)

Lo and behold, the pattern repeated itself tonight. I dedicate this most recent failure to become interested in LoL to that guy whose name I've already forgotten that just spent the last 20 minutes explaining to me in no uncertain terms how horrible a person I am for daring to be bad at a video game.

What really tops it off for me, though, is the conclusion to our exchange:

Me: It's just a game, bro.
Him: one you should never play again.

Good advice, I think.

[quote name='Magus8472']
What really tops it off for me, though, is the conclusion to our exchange:

Me: It's just a game, bro.
Him: one you should never play again.

Good advice, I think.[/QUOTE]

Wow... just wow. How the hell can DotA-types even survive with this much vitriol? At least the Hardcore CS community is somewhat forgiving and understanding.

[quote name='rumarudrathas']Wow... just wow. How the hell can DotA-types even survive with this much vitriol? At least the Hardcore CS community is somewhat forgiving and understanding.[/QUOTE]

I think many online games (especially freeware) survive because ppl come in playing with a core base of friends and family.

My friends and I played a 3v3 earlier and won, however the servers went down right after the match, so I dont think our stats were saved. Awesome.

EDIT

Great, another 3v3, another win, and another server crash. This is getting to be bullshit. Should be 2-0 but am still 0-0.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='rumarudrathas']Wow... just wow. How the hell can DotA-types even survive with this much vitriol? At least the Hardcore CS community is somewhat forgiving and understanding.[/QUOTE]

They're like wild animals. They don't respond to reason, you simply have to show you're the alpha male by being good at the game. If you're not good at the game then you just have to take it on the chin. It sucks but that's just the kind of community that spawns in a game this heavily team based.

Thats why I'm trying to get people together to play. I'm tired of being grouped with these random guys who just wanna ruin it for everyone else. Although, I do get some amusement out of them. I had a guy the other day who would run straight into 3-5 of the enemy at once with no teammates nearby. He'd die, then complain about how "No backup again?! I can't win with these f***ing noobs on my team!" even though he had no kills, and yet are team was something like +12 kills on the enemy.

Seriously though, if you guys wanna play add me, I'm on about every night and I'm happy to play with anyone who doesn't throw a fit/rage quit/or AFK just cause the game isnt going well. It's a game, you gotta lose sometime. And this game is designed to keep you around 50/50 win/lose.

[quote name='Waughoo']Thats why I'm trying to get people together to play. I'm tired of being grouped with these random guys who just wanna ruin it for everyone else. Although, I do get some amusement out of them. I had a guy the other day who would run straight into 3-5 of the enemy at once with no teammates nearby. He'd die, then complain about how "No backup again?! I can't win with these f***ing noobs on my team!" even though he had no kills, and yet are team was something like +12 kills on the enemy.

Seriously though, if you guys wanna play add me, I'm on about every night and I'm happy to play with anyone who doesn't throw a fit/rage quit/or AFK just cause the game isnt going well. It's a game, you gotta lose sometime. And this game is designed to keep you around 50/50 win/lose.[/QUOTE]

I play with Juno and Chico via Xfire - I forget who they are on CAG but I met them via the Xfire thread...They play that game Everyday..you can add me but I am still learning the game.

[quote name='Megazell']I play with Juno and Chico via Xfire - I forget who they are on CAG but I met them via the Xfire thread...They play that game Everyday..you can add me but I am still learning the game.[/QUOTE]

I added you on xfire awhile ago actually. I haven't seen you playing yet, but that coulda been cause I was on xfire via raptr, which doesnt seem to work correctly most of the time.

Okay, I finally got this demonic game installed and ran a single practice games on the easiest bot level.

Took me 48mins to beat that match, and it took me 35 mins to reach level 18 (I'm assuming that's the cap?). I tried to play with a caster coined as the "shortest/littlest of evils" expecting a good amount of burst damage. I wasn't impressed really so I'll try my luck on a melee character, though I'm never any good with them in Demigod.

Any tips on which newb-friendly character I should aim for? I tend to play offensively but I wouldn't mind playing a good support that can serve as impromptu front-line. While I'm at it, how about a good way of leveling up quickly and efficiently?

[quote name='rumarudrathas']Okay, I finally got this demonic game installed and ran a single practice games on the easiest bot level.

Took me 48mins to beat that match, and it took me 35 mins to reach level 18 (I'm assuming that's the cap?). I tried to play with a caster coined as the "shortest/littlest of evils" expecting a good amount of burst damage. I wasn't impressed really so I'll try my luck on a melee character, though I'm never any good with them in Demigod.

Any tips on which newb-friendly character I should aim for? I tend to play offensively but I wouldn't mind playing a good support that can serve as impromptu front-line. While I'm at it, how about a good way of leveling up quickly and efficiently?[/QUOTE]

Leveling up depends on each character (although lvl 18 is the cap). There is no one efficient way because each character is so different. If you are an offensive player try master yi. He is all abour offense and can get 20 kills a game if you are lucky. Otherwise try silvir or nunu because they are 450 and are both melee tank like characters.

Just started to play this recently. I really like what they did to improve the interface.

However, if you can only mute the annoying character sounds/change the announcer-lady.

Not that it doesn't sound extremely bad...but I wish you can replace it by a mod or something.

Also, I've been solely using Evelyn. I'll miss her when she disappears off this week's free-heroes.

[quote name='rumarudrathas']Okay, I finally got this demonic game installed and ran a single practice games on the easiest bot level.

Any tips on which newb-friendly character I should aim for? I tend to play offensively but I wouldn't mind playing a good support that can serve as impromptu front-line. While I'm at it, how about a good way of leveling up quickly and efficiently?[/QUOTE]

You're talking about Veigar, that little bastard mage. Even with the recommended build, if you start using his skills for building your base AP, you can do insane damage. Stun, Meteor spell then Ultimate ability will make short of anyone. Considering that you can essentially double your damage across all abilities is enough.

For noob friendly I would recommend Ashe or Sivir. Easy to use and can contribute greatly to the team (I prefer Sivir really)

Ok, thought you guys would like this one... I finally had one of these jerks get to me.

Me and this guy, he's Nasus and I'm Katarina, are on the top lane. He's taking every possible opportunity to get himself killed. He's basically just rushing the other team the whole time, even when they're under towers. He dies like 3 times before we hit lvl 6, and I haven't died but got maybe 4 kills. Now I've finally got my Ult (basically she just throws a bunch of knives for big damage), and I keep having to use it to try and scare the other team away from him so he doesn't die.

After saving him like the 4th time in a row... he rushes them again before my ult recharges and dies. Then he says this "I can't lane with Kat, she NEVER uses her ult, and just kill steals". Now I usually ignore these people, but I've seriously spent this whole game trying to keep this guy alive, now he's mad at me. So I'm like "Every time my ults been up, I've had to use it to save you, and I couldn't use it that last time because you rushed them before it could recharge." Oh and as for the 'kill steals', I'd like to point out that he was dead when I got most of those kills, so I dunno how I stole them.

Well he ignores that and changes lanes, which I'm fine with. Our team is doing well (except Nasus), and we're coordinating well with each other. We decide to push the mid lane together. Nasus, of course, rushes the other team... all 5 of them. Instant death. Now he's mad at our ENTIRE team. He starts yelling at us for not supporting him (BTW, no support characters on our team). Someone mentions he shouldn't rush the entire enemy team. Well now he's like "I'm a TANK, I'm supposed to be up front. You're all supposed to support me! It's common sense!". I say "You shouldn't rush the entire enemy team either, it's common sense".

Now he starts saying how the rest of us dont "know our roles" and he knows HIS role, his character's description even says "tank". I told him not to be mad at us because he's bad at his role.

I think that really ticked him off, cause now I'm being told how ALL my kills were thanks to him, and I wouldnt have any without him, and he was gonna prove it to me. I'm like "Cool, go for it". So he goes off by himself... and dies... alot. Meanwhile I'm having a great game, getting a lot of double kills and we've taking out almost all the other team's towers. We finally get into their base, and I get rushed. I manage to kill 3 enemies before I gotta run. One more enemy is chasing me, but I run past a teammate specifically so he can kill him for me. The teammate gets this enemy down to a tiny bit of health, and Nasus shows up and finishes him off. Then he says "See?? That was ALL me!"

I'm just like "Yup... all you. Good job"

Well, he got in a few more comments about how great he is, and I think dies once or twice more before we win. But he ended with like 3/14/7 or something. I think I was 18/2/12. The rest of the team we high kills low deaths too. One of them added me to their friend list cause they liked our teamwork.

But seriously... I spend the first 15-20 min of this game trying really hard to save this guy's butt, and I all I get I yelled at. I was rather ticked off at the time, but now it's just funny.

Anyways, thought you guys might get a laugh out of that.

I've been playing pub games today, and there is one thing that's been bothering me. I really hate that you have to wait 25 minutes to call a surrender. 10 minutes in and they already have like three or four of your towers and you can just read the writing on the wall, yet you cant do anything but basically feed them to try and end it quicker. I try doing my part, but it's pointless when you've got four teammates up top trying to gank one player while the other four enemies just rape your towers at the bottom.

So many people worried about upping their KDR than actually working together to win.

New update is out. Added new character Garen, who already needs a nerf I think. But patch also balances some of the other characters better, added a couple new items, and some new skins are available.

Also I just got Ezreal, who is awesome. I'm not great with him yet, but I do ok. He's especially hard since he is entirely skill shot based.

Sorry for the crazy bump, but I just started playing and am enjoying it so far. Apparently they're starting the first season next week if any cags are interested in making teams (I'm not entirely sure how it works other than that I'll need to get to lvl 20 to participate).

Every time I try to re-pick this game up, I'm immediately reminded why I stopped playing in the first place...trying to Solo-queue bites.

Recently had a round that had someone on our team DC at the start, leaving us at 4v5. Twitch and Heimerdinger couldn't agree who got mid, so both went there, and both refused to leave, leaving Alistar and Malphite (me) on the sides by ourselves. Eventually got to the point Twitch and Dinger were trying to sabotage the other by reporting their locations to the other team.

[quote name='52club']Season 1 has begun:

http://www.leagueoflegends.com/season_one

It includes a complete revamp of the client (lobby area). I'm totally hooked on this game. I would compare it to a faster paced Demigod that actually has a great community.[/QUOTE]

I like how when you're already in the client/lobby, there is a link to download game.

About the "great" community, I wouldn't go that far. I feel it's the the same as any other gaming community, but I do get far less nonsense in-game than other games.

bread's done
Back