Din's Curse - Diablo-esque Arguably-Better-Than-Torchlight Clone

Rhett

CAGiversary!
Feedback
85 (100%)
Din's Curse is very close to the standard Diablo formula, but allows more customization as you can choose any two trees (the standard classes each have 3 each - Warrior, Rogue, Priest, Ranger, Wizard, Conjurer) to make up a hybrid class that you like (or even a random combination if you feel lucky).

The "main feature" so-to-speak is that quests (or not doing some quests) can affect the game world. (Such as, not going to fetch this artifact may result in a monster attack on the town you're working on right now, or let a certain monster rise to power as a 'Boss')

The game is basically a dungeon crawler. You start in a small town, doing quests to appease Din, Champion of the Gods (who has cursed you for your lifetime of bad deeds). It has several unique features that really mix it up, though, including the changing game world. Ex.: Hitting a lever in a dungeon could buff you, open up a secret room, or crush you (or other monsters) with a cave-in.

Monsters can rank up by killing other monsters (yes, you're often in the middle of an ongoing fight between different types/clans of monsters!), rising through the ranks, and possibly even becoming 'Super Bosses'. Add this ontop of some weird new twists on standard enemies, and things can get very, very hairy (not including the monsters' hygiene).

The game is also 100% moddable, even through text files.

It's not 'out' yet, but it has a beta that is basically the full version (if you pre-order). There's also a demo (albeit very limited...). It's currently $20 to pre-order with a 30-day guarantee, as well as access to the beta (discounted by $10 until release).

By the makers of Depths of Peril. (Soldak)

You can grab the demo (Windows and Mac) at Soldak's website. (100mb)

Windows Minimum specs:
Windows 98/ME/2000/XP/Vista
1.5 GHz Pentium 4 (or other equivalent)
256MB RAM
GeForce 2 (or other equivalent)
200MB of hard drive space

Windows Recommended specs:
2.0 GHz Pentium 4 (or other equivalent)
256MB RAM
GeForce 3 or better (or other equivalent)

Mac Minimum specs:
OS X 10.4 or 10.5
1.5 GHz processor (PowerPC or Intel)
256MB RAM
GeForce 2 (or other equivalent)
200MB of hard drive space

Mac Recommended specs:
2.0 GHz processor (PowerPC or Intel)
256MB RAM
GeForce 3 or better (or other equivalent)

Screenshots:

screenshot6.jpg

screenshot4.jpg

Seems cool if you like the Diablo formula. However, Torchlight is better for me because it runs well on my netbook. I can’t stand gaming on my desktop any more.

I don't really know how I feel about this game after watching it in action and reading some previews. That on top of the spec requirements for this game make me think it should have been released in 2001.

I agree, may not run on a netbook, as it barely runs on my laptop...

However, alot of things about it, I like alot more than Torchlight (despite all the mods for Torchlight, only a handful are actually fun or useful).

I recommend trying the demo atleast, and the graphics vary. It's a game focused on gameplay rather than graphics.

Just thought you guys would want to look at it, since it's easy to overlook it. :)

hate to admit it, but presentation counts for a lot. i don't think i could ever get into this game due to the graphics and other presentation issues.

i really like the idea of monsters fighting each other and leveling themselves up though, that's pretty cool.

[quote name='Koggit']hate to admit it, but presentation counts for a lot. i don't think i could ever get into this game due to the graphics and other presentation issues.

i really like the idea of monsters fighting each other and leveling themselves up though, that's pretty cool.[/QUOTE]

Try it, it's only 100mb :)

bread's done
Back