Sonic Classic Collection (DS) $19.47 @ Amazon

Eh, I can provide a bit of information based on what I've read.

They screwed with the aspect ratio. That makes things look weird. Probably the "zooming in on Sonic" that you're talking about.

It's a complete emulation collection. These are not ports. Yet for some reason they decided to mess with the music. The music isn't emulated. The emulator just takes its cue from the ROM and plays the appropriate music from an MP3 file or something similar. Speed shoes make the music sound weird.

There's slowdown and framerate issues.

Most, if not all, codes don't work. None of that 19 65 9 17 and then A and start in Sonic 2. I don't know exactly why this is, but I'd bet that they didn't bother to tie all the different buttons to different buttons on the DS. Instead, they probably mapped a single button to everything since you only need one button to play Sonic games, or start no longer actually pauses the game but rather brings up a menu to make a savestate and quit the game to play another one while the emulation gets stopped in the background. Lazy emulation.

No multiplayer.

[quote name='Chuplayer']Eh, I can provide a bit of information based on what I've read.

They screwed with the aspect ratio. That makes things look weird. Probably the "zooming in on Sonic" that you're talking about.

It's a complete emulation collection. These are not ports. Yet for some reason they decided to mess with the music. The music isn't emulated. The emulator just takes its cue from the ROM and plays the appropriate music from an MP3 file or something similar. Speed shoes make the music sound weird.

There's slowdown and framerate issues.

Most, if not all, codes don't work. None of that 19 65 9 17 and then A and start in Sonic 2. I don't know exactly why this is, but I'd bet that they didn't bother to tie all the different buttons to different buttons on the DS. Instead, they probably mapped a single button to everything since you only need one button to play Sonic games, or start no longer actually pauses the game but rather brings up a menu to make a savestate and quit the game to play another one while the emulation gets stopped in the background. Lazy emulation.

No multiplayer.[/QUOTE]Sounds like you really did your homework on this one. Thanks for the info, Chuplayer.

[quote name='Thrinn']Sounds like you really did your homework on this one. Thanks for the info, Chuplayer.[/QUOTE]

No prob.

It's not the worst collection out there, and it certainly beats the pants off of Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection on the basis that it has lock-on alone, but I'd say wait for it to reach $10 or even $5 because it's a lazy cash grab that could have been made so much better.

I have the game and it's really not that bad, the only thing that bothers me about it is the you have to you the touch screen to pause. You can't just push the start button and it pauses, the save states are a very nice feature, and I don't see how you can complain about them. Also I have not noticed any framerate problems or slowdown. Anyways biggest problem is that well if you don't care about lock on buy the Genesis Collection, since it's cheaper and comes with 40 extra games. Also Sonic Mega Collection for GCN/PS2/XB can also be bought for cheaper then this and is pretty much the same but a couple more games.

[quote name='RockMySocks10']I have the game and it's really not that bad, the only thing that bothers me about it is the you have to you the touch screen to pause. You can't just push the start button and it pauses.[/QUOTE]

That annoys me more than it probably should. It's like they had to include some feature that used only the touch screen, and they decided to go with that.

But yeah, I'd agree with what a lot of others are saying here. I was excited to see this come out and bought it, and I'm not really sure it's worth even $20. I'd wait until it drops to ~$10.

[quote name='n64ra']why do you say that? how is that possible?[/QUOTE]

It's probably because the regular DS/DS Lite has a 67 MHz processor and 4 MB of RAM, while the DSi has a 133 MHz processor and 16 MB of RAM.

But it'd have to be coded to specifically take advantage of that, this isn't like a PC where the game would just magically run better just because it's on a DSi... this is the first I've heard of it running better, any links?

[quote name='Justin42']But it'd have to be coded to specifically take advantage of that, this isn't like a PC where the game would just magically run better just because it's on a DSi... this is the first I've heard of it running better, any links?[/QUOTE]

Really? Why would that be? If anything, I would think that the DSi would have to throttle most games to keep them from being too fast. If a game was just barely able to run on the DS, though, the extra power of the DSi might give it just the extra boost it needs.

Anyway, no, no link here, sorry -- I was just speculating on what that other person said about it running better, I have no specific knowledge of the game.

The users at the Sonic Retro forums discovered playing the game on a DSi will improve its performance.

I was kinda excited for this game when I heard of it, but ever since it got released and all the stuff I read about it, I'm less interested. Still, doesn't seem like a bad price even though it's not perfect.

There is a specific DSi mode that has to be enabled in order to access the additional features of the DSi -- the extra speed, the cameras, etc. It's pretty common in systems that retail hardware compatibility with older systems. The reason is the games are all developed with DS expectations. They probably didn't have any sort of "throttling" set up so they wouldn't run too fast (CPU timers, etc, all running 2x the expected speed would wreck havoc with many, many games) So the DSi does have a throttle-- right back to DS levels. :)

It's fully possible Sega did something to recognize it's running on a DSi and improve it, but unless they specifically coded it to do so, it wouldn't play any better.

bread's done
Back