Rumored "Arcade Banjo/Viva Pinata" bundle or Controller/Game/XBLA Bundle for $100?

apathylad

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Not a lot of info is given, but Gamestop has this listed and available for preorder.
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=77573

CheapyD Edit

It's likely this with perhaps some XBLA arcade codes thrown in...
http://www.amazon.ca/Controller-Bundle-Wireless-Gamepad-Pinata/dp/B0026P437I
51YoTQK6G-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If MS wants to price it competitively with the introduction of Natal then I could see this price. Drop price of $50 and bundle in Natal?? Then an unbundled arcade would be $100...

Just a thought.

Only 100 MOTHERKSDFJDSOUCKINGSDOFHSDFH SMACKEROONIES!?!? It's almost time for my girlfriend to not have an excuse to get one.

I just.. NEED A DATE.

[quote name='bringerofdeath']lol yes now moving to the next discussion, how is that worth 100 bucks?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='megma42']But why the word "Arcade" in the title?[/QUOTE]Maybe there are going to throw in some XBLA arcade codes?

Oh, wow. What a strange bundle, since those two games aren't exactly co-op heavy to warrant an extra controller. Something seems off, though. Banjo and Viva Pinata both run for about $20. The average 360 controller runs for $50.

$20 + $20 + $50 = $90

Edit: I suppose they could throw in both XBLA Banjo games, or even Perfect Dark.

ya, thats way too expensive for just the controller and 2 old poor selling games. Theres probably some download codes or ms points too.

Damn...I'd take a chance at locking one in but the site isn't accepting edge/gift card right now. You can always cancel.

The amazon.ca bundle was released in may 09.

There goes Cheapy D ruining all my excitement. Thanks for the (possible) clarification, though.
If it's what Cheapy D found, even with some extra XBLA codes, then it doesn't justify $100. Poop. I'll try to keep my hopes up for the former.

[quote name='SilentStryk09']something tells me this is bigger than a controller and 2 games[/QUOTE]

+1

I think Cheapy is not right this time.

super LAWL at the people saying "I got Banjo N&B for $.42 on clearance so this isn't worth it!"
MSRP on both games is $20, as stated, and controllers are $50. So that's $90, and they will likely throw in both Banjo Games(which I believe cost $15 each) so that's about $120.
For CAG's, still not worth it because we know how to get better deals than that. But if my speculation is true, then it's not a horrible deal off MSRP.

Like momma always said, if it's too good to be true, it usually is. Could it possibly just be a pricing error? I could see those games bundles in a new arcade at $199

[quote name='thegame85']HAHHAHAHA I got Viva Pinata for $5 at Sears and I always see Banjo for $15 at Toys R Us....such a deal for $100![/QUOTE]

We have no clue what's in this supposed bundle. All we have is a GS item page with no details and no picture. Besides, the great thing about bundles like these is they often get deeply discounted, which is when we CAGs will strike.

[quote name='SilentStryk09']something tells me this is bigger than a controller and 2 games[/QUOTE]
Something tells me its not an Arcade console with 2 games.

A PS2 with no games is $100. How likely is it that an Xbox 360 with 2 games is going to be $100?

Answer: Not fucking likely.

MS should sell the arcade the way printers and shavers are sold. Take a loss initially and then ream customers with printer cartridge and razor blade sales. An arcade requires an overpriced hard drive, very possibly a wireless adapter, recharge pack for controllers, and a monthly subscription to LIVE.

Remember, arcades were sold for a net 100 bucks this winter...I got one from amazon.

[quote name='Toss']MS should sell the arcade the way printers and shavers are sold. Take a loss initially and then ream customers with printer cartridge and razor blade sales. An arcade requires an overpriced hard drive, very possibly a wireless adapter, recharge pack for controllers, and a monthly subscription to LIVE.

Remember, arcades were sold for a net 100 bucks this winter...I got one from amazon.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure Xbox's are already sold at a loss....

[quote name='Toss']MS should sell the arcade the way printers and shavers are sold. Take a loss initially and then ream customers with printer cartridge and razor blade sales. An arcade requires an overpriced hard drive, very possibly a wireless adapter, recharge pack for controllers, and a monthly subscription to LIVE. [/QUOTE]

1) This is a bad idea.

2) None of those things are required.

3) Most of them can now be negated. USB update in about two weeks = 16 GBs of storage on the cheap. You can buy wireless bridges cheap OR hook it up to a wireless-capable laptop. Recharge packs aren't needed; you can always get rechargeable batteries. Subscriptions to XBL are wholly secondary and can be had super cheap (coughFREEcough) if you keep your eyes open.

I don't know where you got the idea that MS sold Arcades for a net $100, but I'd love a source if that's possible.

[quote name='Strell']
I don't know where you got the idea that MS sold Arcades for a net $100, but I'd love a source if that's possible.[/QUOTE]

Amazon and Wally World.

[quote name='Strell']1) This is a bad idea.

2) None of those things are required.

3) Most of them can now be negated. USB update in about two weeks = 16 GBs of storage on the cheap. You can buy wireless bridges cheap OR hook it up to a wireless-capable laptop. Recharge packs aren't needed; you can always get rechargeable batteries. Subscriptions to XBL are wholly secondary and can be had super cheap (coughFREEcough) if you keep your eyes open.

I don't know where you got the idea that MS sold Arcades for a net $100, but I'd love a source if that's possible.[/QUOTE]
Wal-Mart had the Arcades for $200 with a $100 Gift Card. $100 Net...not sure about the Amazon thing though and a Gift Card to Wal-Mart is not the same as cash, but nonetheless $100 for Arcade if you factor the Gift Card in

[quote name='dabamus']Amazon and Wally World.[/QUOTE]

That doesn't answer the question at all. I know there were $100 gift cards being offered along with the Arcades, but do we have actual proof that means MS is making a net profit of $100 per system sold?

I'm afraid the correlation here is really weak. Someone feel free to explain it other than citing sales.

Edit: Ok wait. When I say "net $100," to me that says MS is clearing $100 per unit sold. Everyone else is explaining it as a "net $100" you - as a consumer - get when you bought one on those sales.

Those things are not the same. I'm asking from MS's perspective, not ours.

Yes none of those things are required, but a lot of people will buy them.
I got a 100 arcade from amazon, but it probably was amazon taking the loss on that one with the 100 gift card with purchase. Walmart also had them for a net 100.

[quote name='Toss']Yes none of those things are required, but a lot of people will buy them. [/QUOTE]

With a razor, if the blades are unusable, the whole thing isn't usable. You buy an arcade, you can still play games. Not the same thing at all.

If I buy a printer and it runs out of ink, the printer has next to no function (unless it's a multifunction fax/scanner, and even then, it still can't print). If I buy an arcade, I can still check out Bioshock 2.

So the comparison doesn't hold up.

I'm with Strell on this. You guys aren't using the term "net" in the right way, since the debate is over Microsoft's point of view. Furthermore, just because two places sold it at $200, plus a $100 giftcard doesn't mean much. Walmart sold it, and Amazon matched. Not to mention the gift card reels in future purchases, which makes it a possible business move.

The razor blade analogy I guess sort of works, since people want to play on Live, but USB storage is going to be a blow to that. Still, it would open microsoft up to a whole new realm of customers that they didn't have before, and could sink in with LIVE and marketplace fees.

As for the possibility of the bundle, I'd say it is certainly possible. CheapyD doesn't seem to think so, which makes it hard to argue against, but lets loo kat the logistics here:

Those two games aren't going to be moving off shelves at $20, maybe not even $10, so to microsoft, they are sunk cost. Might as well get some value out of them by bundling them with SOMETHING.

[quote name='Toss']MS should sell the arcade the way printers and shavers are sold. Take a loss initially and then ream customers with printer cartridge and razor blade sales. An arcade requires an overpriced hard drive, very possibly a wireless adapter, recharge pack for controllers, and a monthly subscription to LIVE.

Remember, arcades were sold for a net 100 bucks this winter...I got one from amazon.[/QUOTE]

Which is what Sony was doing, and they dont overcharge for accessories.

[quote name='Strell']With a razor, if the blades are unusable, the whole thing isn't usable. You buy an arcade, you can still play games. Not the same thing at all.

If I buy a printer and it runs out of ink, the printer has next to no function (unless it's a multifunction fax/scanner, and even then, it still can't print). If I buy an arcade, I can still check out Bioshock 2.

So the comparison doesn't hold up.[/QUOTE]

Never studied business huh? Gillette makes its money selling replacement blades not the actual shaver. I'm not talking about single blade throw-aways. As for the printer, the profits margins are huge for ink cartridges which you buy many times over the life of your printer. They make more money from the ink you buy, than from the printer hardware.

Also if the 360 slim is true, MS might be trying to get rid of the fats they have left.

Hmmm, is the wireless controller even retailing that strongly at $50? I'm seeing more $40 MSRP, and they are on sale for $30 on newegg right now. This deal is either incredible (for the system) or awful (controller).

Hopefully it's something completely different than the Amazon.ca bundle.

[quote name='Toss']Never studied business huh? Gillette makes its money selling replacement blades not the actual shaver. I'm not talking about single blade throw-aways. As for the printer, the profits margins are huge for ink cartridges which you buy many times over the life of your printer. They make more money from the ink you buy, than from the printer hardware.[/quote]

Actually, I fully understand that business model. But it has zero to do with this particular issue. Now if you want to argue that software is where the money is at, then we've got something more comparable. But since you aren't, we're not, and so the discussion is void.

You guys keep dreaming there's a $100 360 on the way with two second party games included. Then be sure to come back and whine when it doesn't happen.

I'd originally written first, then changed it to second, since their ownership can probably change at any real given moment, should MS put them up on the trading block.

Changes nothing in this discussion.

Did anybody notice the category it's in is Puzzle & cards? Could that help with figuring out what it may be??? Something tells me this is HS jumping a gun on the first Natal bundle, though maybe not. Fable III seems like the best choice for a bundle for that. Oh well, that's just my two cents.

bread's done
Back