- - - - -

Asian movie blu ray release thread

#31 Hibiwa   Blue Exorcist CAGiversary!   1139 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2010 - 11:45 PM

And speaking of Korean film seek out A Bittersweet Life and Save the Green Planet if you havent seen them. Both utterly fantastic. And if i had to compare Bittersweet to something it's very much along the lines of A Better Tomorrow

I didn't like Save the Green Planet at all. Watching crazies and torture aren't my thing.

However, a Korean natural disaster movie like 'Haeundae' does peak my interest. Anyone seen it?

It's supposed to be a good popcorn movie, but I don't want to really drop $36 on a blind buy and feel like I wasted money.

Too bad I can't rent it via Netflix since they only like to tease people with their queue possibility. Sure you can add them, but don't ever expect it to be available.

The Japanese movie 'The Magic Hour' is on my want to watch list too. Don't really know why though.

#32 mr_burnzz   mr. snrub CAGiversary!   1602 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago  

Posted 03 April 2010 - 12:08 AM

dont forget to see city of violence and art of fighting. also this other movie with a korean rapper couple years back. straight up Ryu street fighter training. forgot the title but it was pretty good. Yang dong gun was his name? cant remember.

sorry to hear about your ps3, rakshas.

#33 barbarbar   BROKE ASS GAMER CAGiversary!   675 Posts   Joined 6.3 Years Ago  

Posted 03 April 2010 - 12:35 AM

^ You talking about Fighter in the Wind ?

Also, to the person asking about Haeundae, I personally thought it was an entertaining movie.. effects were alright, and the acting was good. It might be different for you though, very mixed reviews everywhere.

#34 rapsodist   My Heart Is a 16-Bit Chip CAGiversary!   3112 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Posted 03 April 2010 - 06:20 AM

It showed in many film festivals in the U.S. and otherwise over the past two years, but its official release in the U.S. is now; what you saw in L.A. would have been part of a festival/reperatory screening/film series type of scenario. IFC is the film's U.S. distributor, and they are releasing it for the first time in limited release on 4/9. I'm not saying that it didn't show in L.A. when you say it did or that you didn't see it; I'm saying it has not had an official U.S. release until now.

Interesting. I do see that you're right about IFC being the official distributor. When I watched it a while back, it was listed in the paper as a limited release, but that may just have been a general label applied to a special screening. Who knows. Good to see that it's getting a somewhat wider release now. The final chase makes it well worth watching on the big screen.

#35 mr_burnzz   mr. snrub CAGiversary!   1602 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago  

Posted 03 April 2010 - 06:31 AM

Also, to the person asking about Haeundae, I personally thought it was an entertaining movie.. effects were alright, and the acting was good. It might be different for you though, very mixed reviews everywhere.

haha, yea.

thanks, it was driving me crazy for a little while.

#36 beatngurnuts   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1933 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

beatngurnuts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 06:50 AM

Got my Ichi Blu today, I will give an A/V review tomorrow after I watch it.

#37 ronin47   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   188 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

Posted 03 April 2010 - 11:37 AM

I didn't like Save the Green Planet at all. Watching crazies and torture aren't my thing.

However, a Korean natural disaster movie like 'Haeundae' does peak my interest. Anyone seen it?

It's supposed to be a good popcorn movie, but I don't want to really drop $36 on a blind buy and feel like I wasted money.

Too bad I can't rent it via Netflix since they only like to tease people with their queue possibility. Sure you can add them, but don't ever expect it to be available.

The Japanese movie 'The Magic Hour' is on my want to watch list too. Don't really know why though.

I liked Save the Green Planet. It is one of those strange movies with a messed up ending. Definitely, Not for everyone.

Haeudae is most definitely a Micheal Bay type Armageddon wanna be. Sure it emphasizes effects over everything else. But it wasn't as bad as something like 2010. It is a good mindless movie. Just not worth $36 on DVD. For that price it should be bluray and even then it still wouldn't be worth it.

In Korea it was a big deal since it starred some well known movie stars and it was their first major effects disaster movie. The movie was copied in Thailand.

dont forget to see city of violence and art of fighting. also this other movie with a korean rapper couple years back. straight up Ryu street fighter training. forgot the title but it was pretty good. Yang dong gun was his name? cant remember.

sorry to hear about your ps3, rakshas.

My friends didn't like Art of Fighting. Although I liked it and thought it was amusing.

Fighter in the Wind (Bah Raham Eh Fight Tuh) stars Yang Dong Geun as Choi Bae Dahl/Mas Oyama. Mas Oyama was a real life martial artist who some claim is indeed the inspiration for Ryu from Street Fighter. He was a legendary fighter in Japan who traveled from place to place challenging the best fighters in the area and destroying them. He never lost a fight. Also, he did fight bull and cracked their skulls with a single hit.

Some odd facts. Bi/Rain from Ninja Assassin was originally going to star in Fighter in the Wind. Mas Oyama was Sonny Ichiba's teacher. Sonny Ichiba starred in a movie based on Mas Oyama's life called Cracked Bull Fighter. Ir has him fighting bulls for practice.

Mas Oyama is Korean. The movie glosses over a lot of facts as usual. It makes him seem like a righteous person but even he admitted that he wasn't a very nice guy. Another famous Japanese person. Rikidozan (Yukdosan) a famous wrestler (wrassler) that popularized wrestling in Japan was also Korean. He was played in the movie by Sol Kyung Gu who stars in Haeundae.

#38 mr_burnzz   mr. snrub CAGiversary!   1602 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago  

Posted 03 April 2010 - 10:34 PM

good info, ronin.

I just remembered one of my favorite korean movies of all time.."friend" this is just an awesome story.

#39 beatngurnuts   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1933 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

beatngurnuts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 05:40 AM

well the ichi blu-ray is pretty disappointing, the quality of the video is pretty poor(as expected) and the audio is okay, but not great. So if you have the dvd keep it, there really is no reason to upgrade.

#40 ValkyrieVF-1S   Skull One CAGiversary!   1313 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

ValkyrieVF-1S

Posted 04 April 2010 - 05:53 AM

So any other Korean blu-rays coming out any time soon?

Hoping for a Daisy blu, but I don't think that movie is too popular. :/
The Worst Foe Lies Within - Parasite Eve
gallery_587_6858_5265.jpg gallery_587_6858_1293.jpg

#41 VipFREAK   Fun Knee! CAGiversary!   9411 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

Posted 04 April 2010 - 05:59 AM

I just got them on DVD, but I'd love to have Azumi 1 and 2 on Blu Ray.

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"

Trade List

#42 barbarbar   BROKE ASS GAMER CAGiversary!   675 Posts   Joined 6.3 Years Ago  

Posted 04 April 2010 - 09:27 AM

CJ Ent needs to hurry up and release Bittersweet Life & A Dirty Carnival, my favorite Korean gangsta gangsta movies .

#43 Hibiwa   Blue Exorcist CAGiversary!   1139 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

Posted 04 April 2010 - 12:49 PM

^
Do you mean blu-ray, or in general? If you have a region-free dvd player, YesAsia has both 2 disc Korean (region 3) versions available for pretty cheap. CJ Ent Published.

$19.99 A Bittersweet Life - 2-Disc Director's Ed DVD
http://www.yesasia.c...-0-en/info.html

$16.99 A Dirty Carnival - 2-Disc DVD

#44 ronin47   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   188 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

Posted 04 April 2010 - 01:51 PM

So any other Korean blu-rays coming out any time soon?

Hoping for a Daisy blu, but I don't think that movie is too popular. :/

I wouldn't hold my breath. That movie starred some well known Korean actors and it flopped in the box office. I think the chances of seeing in Bluray would be as likely as seeing The Resurrection of the Little Match Girl on blu. Match Girl when released became the biggest over priced flop in Korean History.

Daisy was a Hong Kong production starring Korean actors.

Some times getting Hong Kong releases is a cost effective alternative. Some of the releases seem to use the same print and supplemental features as their Korean counter part.

Fighter in the Wind has a limited edition DVD that was covered by a gi. It came signed as was limited to 2000 copies.

Movies people should watch.

Friend (Chingoo)
My Wife is a Gangster 1
Kick the Moon
Tae Guk Gi (There is a blu version of this)
Silmido

#45 styl3s   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   777 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Posted 04 April 2010 - 02:48 PM

Well I just got my Ichi blu but the bad news is my PS3 just stopped reading discs, haha! Fuck you Sony and Fuck new gen systems altogether! my PS1 still works fine and I've had it for 15 FUCKING YEARS!

Works fine on my ps3

#46 ValkyrieVF-1S   Skull One CAGiversary!   1313 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

ValkyrieVF-1S

Posted 04 April 2010 - 06:53 PM

I wouldn't hold my breath. That movie starred some well known Korean actors and it flopped in the box office. I think the chances of seeing in Bluray would be as likely as seeing The Resurrection of the Little Match Girl on blu. Match Girl when released became the biggest over priced flop in Korean History.

Daisy was a Hong Kong production starring Korean actors.

Some times getting Hong Kong releases is a cost effective alternative. Some of the releases seem to use the same print and supplemental features as their Korean counter part.

Yeah, when I first saw the movie, I didn't know it was Andy Lau who was the director. I also read some where the movie didn't do too well, but I think a blu release would look pretty sweet. I guess I will stick with my limited edition set then. :(
The Worst Foe Lies Within - Parasite Eve
gallery_587_6858_5265.jpg gallery_587_6858_1293.jpg

#47 handsome_rakshas   Judgment of the Sea CAGiversary!   2385 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

handsome_rakshas

Posted 05 April 2010 - 12:38 AM

Works fine on my ps3

Well gee, thanks for rubbing it in! :roll:

It's too bad, reviewers have said the same thing as beatingurnuts, the picture is pretty sucky. Of course many Miike movies were shot with basic cameras so there is a limit to how good they can look. At least my Happiness of the Katakuris dvd has excellent video quality.

I'm pissed my PS3 is dead, no Blu Rays for me! It may be a while before I can get a new one. In the mean time I can catch up games I've had for years that I've never played. I also have few Korean films I've been meaning to watch. My Wife is a Gangster, The Chaser, and Oasis.

And yeah, I would kill for a good HD transfer of A Bittersweet Life.
Posted Image

#48 Voshempa   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   7 Posts   Joined 6.1 Years Ago  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 01:36 AM

Ronin mentioned Tae Guk Gi, which was amazing, so I had to add that again. I also like Fulltime Killer, To Live, Happy Times, and Fist of Legend. Sadly, only Tae Guk Gi and Fist of Legend are the only ones from that list that are on Blu-ray at the moment.

I've always enjoyed Asian culture and films so I'll have to keep an eye on this thread. I've already seen some flicks I want to check out. Keep 'em comin'.

#49 Panda Wizardry   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2567 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Panda Wizardry

Posted 05 April 2010 - 01:48 AM

I was wondering if these films ever go down in price? I'm interested in Red Cliff (International version), but $25 is a bit steep for this cheapass. Although if these types of movies don't go down in price then I'd rather get it now.

Any input from those of you here?

Please check out my channel: Alan Bytes Back!

MyAnimeList

#50 handsome_rakshas   Judgment of the Sea CAGiversary!   2385 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

handsome_rakshas

Posted 05 April 2010 - 04:19 AM

I was wondering if these films ever go down in price? I'm interested in Red Cliff (International version), but $25 is a bit steep for this cheapass. Although if these types of movies don't go down in price then I'd rather get it now.

Any input from those of you here?

Well just like all domestic released blus they will eventually go down in price and you can get them cheap used on Amazon, Hastings, or Half. If the blu is an import they will probably stay around they same price range or you might get lucky and be able to grab one on Ebay. I was pissed I missed the Korean blu of Welcome to the Dongmakgol and it ended up going for like 12 bucks.
Posted Image

#51 barbarbar   BROKE ASS GAMER CAGiversary!   675 Posts   Joined 6.3 Years Ago  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 09:09 AM

^
Do you mean blu-ray, or in general? If you have a region-free dvd player, YesAsia has both 2 disc Korean (region 3) versions available for pretty cheap. CJ Ent Published.

$19.99 A Bittersweet Life - 2-Disc Director's Ed DVD

$16.99 A Dirty Carnival - 2-Disc DVD

Talking about Blu-ray .

#52 ronin47   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   188 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

Posted 06 April 2010 - 05:47 PM

Dragon Dynasty releasing Fist of Legend on blu. April 20, 2010.

Wonder if it is going to be another hack job.

Only $12.49 so far. The prints I've seen of this have been pretty bad. I haven't seen the recent DVD release from Dragon Dynasty. I was hoping for a bluray version.

http://www.amazon.co...i/dp/B00376AVIK

#53 handsome_rakshas   Judgment of the Sea CAGiversary!   2385 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

handsome_rakshas

Posted 06 April 2010 - 09:03 PM

Only $12.49 so far. The prints I've seen of this have been pretty bad. I haven't seen the recent DVD release from Dragon Dynasty. I was hoping for a bluray version.

Bad transfers or not it's hard to pass up on that price coupled with the fact I don't already own it on DVD. I don't feel bad about buying The Killer or 36 Chambers of Shaolin becuase I held off buying them when they were released on DVD. If I have something else to pick up to get the free shipping I might bite, not a big fan of Jet Li's movies. Although I do look forward to seeing him in the Expendables. :)

On a side note I just watched A Dirty Carnival and I must thank those of you who recommended it. Really liked it, although not as much as A Bittersweet Life. At the end when the boss was singing Old and Wise by the Alan Parson's Project I wanted to punch him and everyone else in the room in the face. I was so mad by the end of the movie!
Posted Image

#54 Deadpool   I club baby seals CAGiversary!   2292 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Posted 06 April 2010 - 09:42 PM

$13 for one of the greatest action movies of all time?! Shit transfer or not i'm in!
Posted ImagePosted Image

#55 mr_burnzz   mr. snrub CAGiversary!   1602 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago  

Posted 06 April 2010 - 09:56 PM

I know I listed alot of my favorites on this thread but this is really my favorite, lol.

Welcome to DongMakGol

But they really want to $45 for the blu ray?!
http://www.amazon.co...70590650&sr=8-2

heres a review for the PQ of the blu ray.
http://www.dvdbeaver...gol_blu-ray.htm

This movie is just great. Emotional and just plain GOOD.

Tae Guk Gi I heard was good but I couldnt get into it and just never finished it. Since I had already seen saving private ryan and black hawk down I couldnt get into something similar for 2+ hours.

edit..hey, if anyone cares I looked prices up on ebay for Dongmakgol and there are much better prices.
http://shop.ebay.com...-All-Categories
still a bit much but now I am thinking about getting it.

Edited by mr_burnzz, 07 April 2010 - 02:30 AM.

#56 ronin47   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   188 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

Posted 07 April 2010 - 12:15 AM

Bad transfers or not it's hard to pass up on that price coupled with the fact I don't already own it on DVD. I don't feel bad about buying The Killer or 36 Chambers of Shaolin becuase I held off buying them when they were released on DVD. If I have something else to pick up to get the free shipping I might bite, not a big fan of Jet Li's movies. Although I do look forward to seeing him in the Expendables. :)

On a side note I just watched A Dirty Carnival and I must thank those of you who recommended it. Really liked it, although not as much as A Bittersweet Life. At the end when the boss was singing Old and Wise by the Alan Parson's Project I wanted to punch him and everyone else in the room in the face. I was so mad by the end of the movie!

The Prints I've seen are bad.

I'm not commenting on the Dragon Dynasty print since I haven't seen the DVD release of this. And even though they seem to messing up some of my favorite movie. I am not going to trash movies they haven't released yet without having read any reviews or watching it myself.

The Protector/Tom Yum Goong blu is $12.50 also.

http://www.amazon.co...70599060&sr=8-2

Strangely Amazon has halted sales of Ong Bak 2 stating something about their customers complaining about some problem. They were pretty vague as to what the problem was. They said buy it from one of the other sells listed on their site.

Wished Red Cliff international cut would come back down in price.

#57 handsome_rakshas   Judgment of the Sea CAGiversary!   2385 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

handsome_rakshas

Posted 14 April 2010 - 07:53 PM

Well at least Fist of Legend is looking good!

http://www.dvdbeaver...istoflegend.htm
Posted Image

#58 LeRoy   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   373 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Posted 15 April 2010 - 12:32 AM

Already pre-ordered Fist of Legend and Seven Swords from Amazon. Each was $12.49 which is a great price IMO.
Posted Image

#59 ronin47   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   188 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

Posted 15 April 2010 - 12:10 PM

Well at least Fist of Legend is looking good!

http://www.dvdbeaver...istoflegend.htm

My only gripe so far with this is, I don't see a mention of a Cantonese or Mandarin track.

Edited - Amazon lists Cantonese. I guess I am going to buying this.

#60 cagfansub   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   594 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

cagfansub

Posted 15 April 2010 - 02:38 PM

My only gripe so far with this is, I don't see a mention of a Cantonese or Mandarin track.

Edited - Amazon lists Cantonese. I guess I am going to buying this.

What's the difference between the two track?

I guess I'm no Chinese speaker but as long as subtitles are good, I'm in.

I will watch 'em in their original language with subtitle (same goes for anime).