Asian movie blu ray release thread

handsome_rakshas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
275 (100%)
Instead of making a thread for every asain movie that tickles my fancy I thought I could just post in one place and cover them all! Come on in and post any cool asian blu ray info or talk about how much you hate Ichi the Killer. :roll:

Today's hot release is John Woo's The Killer.

http://www.amazon.com/Killer-Blu-ray-Yun-Fat-Chow/dp/B0036BDQLA/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

I'm kind of pissed I ordered this now because I heard the transfer is pretty bad and they cut some content, dang. Never seen this film but am still looking forward to watching it tomorrow hopefully.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare2/killer4.htm

The Killer is an awesome movie. :) I had the VCD a long time ago

what's up with these Asian blu-rays getting such crappy transfers? *shrug*

Speaking of Ichi the Killer (which I don't hate, but I definitely don't get the massive amounts of hype over it) a few people got shipping notices from Amazon today, looks like it's FINALLY out. I wish I held on to my 13$ish preorder, no way in hell am I paying $20+ for it.

[quote name='opterasis']Speaking of Ichi the Killer (which I don't hate, but I definitely don't get the massive amounts of hype over it) a few people got shipping notices from Amazon today, looks like it's FINALLY out. I wish I held on to my 13$ish preorder, no way in hell am I paying $20+ for it.[/QUOTE]

Holy smokes, finally! I was pissed when I preordered at 16 bucks and now its up to 27? :shock:

My order status said they are preparing it for delivery, hopefully I'll get it soon.

Argh, I was exited to get The Killer on blu ray - but seriously, why do they even bother with the transfers if upscaled DVD looks better? *grumble*

[quote name='DestroVega']Anyone seen The Good, The Bad, The Weird? looks fucking awesome to me.[/QUOTE]

I'll jump in before Vulgarism says it's the best movie ever. It was a lot of fun to watch and has my 2 favorite korean actors in it. A colorful old west shoot em up! I highly recommend it, but I don't think it got a domestic release. Not like that ever stopped anyone from seeing it!

[quote name='VaRIABLE SoUL']The Killer is an awesome movie. :) I had the VCD a long time ago

what's up with these Asian blu-rays getting such crappy transfers? *shrug*[/QUOTE]

Because the original company that made the film might not care. Asian companies tend to play it fast and loose. So picture quality varies greatly.

Also, the Weinstein's who headed Miramax have a habit of screwing up local releases of foreign movies. Be it unnecessary editing or replacing soundtracks. They also have the notorious habit of buying up local distribution rights to foreign movies and then sitting on them making sure no one sees them.

Versus (Japanese zombie action movie) was shot using crappy film stock. No amount of restore work would make it look HD. At least not what people are expecting and used to. However, they are releasing a bluray version. It would require a miracle for it to look much better then already multiple editions released on DVD. As much as I like the movie, I have to draw a line somewhere.

[quote name='opterasis']Speaking of Ichi the Killer (which I don't hate, but I definitely don't get the massive amounts of hype over it) a few people got shipping notices from Amazon today, looks like it's FINALLY out. I wish I held on to my 13$ish preorder, no way in hell am I paying $20+ for it.[/QUOTE]

I'm with you. I've had my overseas DVD release of Ichi for year and years. The movie was analogous to all that is Japanese schlock cinema. And it was no where as entertaining as even some of the other brain dead Japanese movies.

[quote name='DestroVega']Anyone seen The Good, The Bad, The Weird? looks fucking awesome to me.[/QUOTE]

It wasn't half bad but then again it seems over hyped. Song Gang Ho (The Weird) and Lee Byung Hyun (GI Joe, The Bad) did a good job but the story was only slightly above average for me. However, I have to give it to the director. Not too many Kimchi westerns.

[quote name='styl3s']The Killer is AWFUL on blu-ray, go get the criterion DVD release of killer instead.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare2/killer4.htm[/QUOTE]

Go get the Criterion? Not unless they want to pony up between $50 - $100. The Criterion release has been out of print for close to a decade now. Fox Lorber was the original US right holder who licensed it to Criterion and wouldn't let them renew it when they opened up their foreign movie arm.

[quote name='amphigorey']Argh, I was exited to get The Killer on blu ray - but seriously, why do they even bother with the transfers if upscaled DVD looks better? *grumble*[/QUOTE]

Because people will buy it. A crappy release that people buy tells them one thing. We can get away with a shoddy release and people will buy it.

[quote name='handsome_rakshas']I'll jump in before Vulgarism says it's the best movie ever. It was a lot of fun to watch and has my 2 favorite korean actors in it. A colorful old west shoot em up! I highly recommend it, but I don't think it got a domestic release. Not like that ever stopped anyone from seeing it![/QUOTE]

It was shown in the US in a limited number of theaters. NY, LA, etc. There will be a domestic home releases. DVD is confirmed. Don't know about bluray but I am pretty sure that is also pretty much a given.

[quote name='ronin47']Because the original company that made the film might not care. Asian companies tend to play it fast and loose. So picture quality varies greatly.

Also, the Weinstein's who headed Miramax have a habit of screwing up local releases of foreign movies. Be it unnecessary editing or replacing soundtracks. They also have the notorious habit of buying up local distribution rights to foreign movies and then sitting on them making sure no one sees them.

Versus (Japanese zombie action movie) was shot using crappy film stock. No amount of restore work would make it look HD. At least not what people are expecting and used to. However, they are releasing a bluray version. It would require a miracle for it to look much better then already multiple editions released on DVD. As much as I like the movie, I have to draw a line somewhere.

I'm with you. I've had my overseas DVD release of Ichi for year and years. The movie was analogous to all that is Japanese schlock cinema. And it was no where as entertaining as even some of the other brain dead Japanese movies.

It wasn't half bad but then again it seems over hyped. Song Gang Ho (The Weird) and Lee Byung Hyun (GI Joe, The Bad) did a good job but the story was only slightly above average for me. However, I have to give it to the director. Not too many Kimchi westerns.

Go get the Criterion? Not unless they want to pony up between $50 - $100. The Criterion release has been out of print for close to a decade now. Fox Lorber was the original US right holder who licensed it to Criterion and wouldn't let them renew it when they opened up their foreign movie arm.

Because people will buy it. A crappy release that people buy tells them one thing. We can get away with a shoddy release and people will buy it.[/QUOTE]
you can usually get them for around 40-50$ which isn't bad for one of the greatest action films of all time, even the bootleg criterions have the same AQ/VQ and cost as much as a new dvd

[quote name='ronin47']It was shown in the US in a limited number of theaters. NY, LA, etc. There will be a domestic home releases. DVD is confirmed. Don't know about bluray but I am pretty sure that is also pretty much a given.[/QUOTE]

Not was shown; will be shown. IFC's got the rights, and it's opening on April 9th in limited release (the aforementioned New York and Los Angeles; maybe a handful of others), with it leaking out across the country slowly thereafter. I live in St. Louis, and it's already been confirmed to come here.

IFC makes their theatrical releases available On Demand for Charter subscribers around the time of the film's release date; this one will be available tomorrow, March 31st. As for the "confirmed" domestic DVD release, I have seen no such confirmation, though it seems a pretty safe bet. That said, IFC is more sporadic than other companies about their DVD releases, sometimes making them exclusive to certain retailers, occasionally not releasing them at all. It should be noted that they have a partnership with both Netflix and Criterion, though; TGTB&TW should be available on Netflix's instant watch inside of a few months (before its likely DVD release), and may or may not be released on DVD by Criterion, who handles a lot of IFC's films (Hunger, Revanche, Gomorrah, Summer Hours, etc.).

I'll probably stick with my HKL version of The Killer. Seems like Dragon Dynasty is messing up all of their Blu-Ray releases. Hoping that the newer titles like Kill Zone turn out OK.

I just got a shipping confirm from amazon for my $12.99 Ichi The Killer preorder from October. So I guess its finally released, I just hope the blu-ray A/V Quality does not suck A$$

[quote name='beatngurnuts']I just got a shipping confirm from amazon for my $12.99 Ichi The Killer preorder from October. So I guess its finally released, I just hope the blu-ray A/V Quality does not suck A$$[/QUOTE]

Yep, got mine this morning. Hey do you still have the Mother and Memories of Murder blu rays for sale?

Anyone ever seen Red Cliff? Thinking about jumping on the international version blu ray with part I and II. Never heard of it til I stumbled upon it on Amazon and was wondering if anyone had any opinions.

hey good thread. I would love to add some korean movies to my blu ray collection but cant seem to find any the right price. picture quality reviews would be really helpful.

the good bad and weird was very good for me. Funny as hell and plenty of action.
i also enjoyed kim vs kim vs kim. 3 martial artists teachers going at it. Fun movie.
The game was also good. check em all out if you haven't.

The Korean movie industry is plagued with piracy so they won't be doing too many blu-ray releases. There have been a couple korean but the prices are pretty high. Hong Kong and overseas version are cheaper.

Even regular DVDs in Korea tend to be pricey.

[quote name='sirhansirhan']Not was shown; will be shown. IFC's got the rights, and it's opening on April 9th in limited release (the aforementioned New York and Los Angeles; maybe a handful of others), with it leaking out across the country slowly thereafter. I live in St. Louis, and it's already been confirmed to come here.[/QUOTE]

Here in Los Angeles, it "was shown." It already had a limited release well over a year ago. I believe there were three theaters showing it for a couple weekends--one of the perks of living in this city.

[quote name='rapsodist']Here in Los Angeles, it "was shown." It already had a limited release well over a year ago. I believe there were three theaters showing it for a couple weekends--one of the perks of living in this city.[/QUOTE]

It showed in many film festivals in the U.S. and otherwise over the past two years, but its official release in the U.S. is now; what you saw in L.A. would have been part of a festival/reperatory screening/film series type of scenario. IFC is the film's U.S. distributor, and they are releasing it for the first time in limited release on 4/9. I'm not saying that it didn't show in L.A. when you say it did or that you didn't see it; I'm saying it has not had an official U.S. release until now.

[quote name='blu_yu_away']Anyone ever seen Red Cliff? Thinking about jumping on the international version blu ray with part I and II. Never heard of it til I stumbled upon it on Amazon and was wondering if anyone had any opinions.[/QUOTE]

Damned good. Picture quality is very good and the sound is even better. It almost makes me forget about the last 10 years of John Woo's garbage output.

And speaking of Korean film seek out A Bittersweet Life and Save the Green Planet if you havent seen them. Both utterly fantastic. And if i had to compare Bittersweet to something it's very much along the lines of A Better Tomorrow

Last edited by a moderator:
Where (B&M) can I go to buy red cliff part1 and 2 international version? I want the US release, I have checked Frys, Bestbuy, Target, Walmart the past week, none of them have it? I thought it came out last Tuesday?

Looking online, on bb, frys, target, and walmart, it's showing that it's not being sold in store. Why is that?

[quote name='supaet']Where (B&M) can I go to buy red cliff part1 and 2 international version? I want the US release, I have checked Frys, Bestbuy, Target, Walmart the past week, none of them have it? I thought it came out last Tuesday?

Looking online, on bb, frys, target, and walmart, it's showing that it's not being sold in store. Why is that?[/QUOTE]

Dang I just seen the DVD at Walmart tonight and forgot to look for the Blu!

Well I just got my Ichi blu but the bad news is my PS3 just stopped reading discs, haha! fuck you Sony and fuck new gen systems altogether! my PS1 still works fine and I've had it for 15 fuckING YEARS!

[quote name='Deadpool']...
And speaking of Korean film seek out A Bittersweet Life and Save the Green Planet if you havent seen them. Both utterly fantastic. And if i had to compare Bittersweet to something it's very much along the lines of A Better Tomorrow[/QUOTE]

I didn't like Save the Green Planet at all. Watching crazies and torture aren't my thing.

However, a Korean natural disaster movie like 'Haeundae' does peak my interest. Anyone seen it?

It's supposed to be a good popcorn movie, but I don't want to really drop $36 on a blind buy and feel like I wasted money.

Too bad I can't rent it via Netflix since they only like to tease people with their queue possibility. Sure you can add them, but don't ever expect it to be available.

The Japanese movie 'The Magic Hour' is on my want to watch list too. Don't really know why though.

dont forget to see city of violence and art of fighting. also this other movie with a korean rapper couple years back. straight up Ryu street fighter training. forgot the title but it was pretty good. Yang dong gun was his name? cant remember.

sorry to hear about your ps3, rakshas.

^ You talking about Fighter in the Wind ?

Also, to the person asking about Haeundae, I personally thought it was an entertaining movie.. effects were alright, and the acting was good. It might be different for you though, very mixed reviews everywhere.

[quote name='sirhansirhan']It showed in many film festivals in the U.S. and otherwise over the past two years, but its official release in the U.S. is now; what you saw in L.A. would have been part of a festival/reperatory screening/film series type of scenario. IFC is the film's U.S. distributor, and they are releasing it for the first time in limited release on 4/9. I'm not saying that it didn't show in L.A. when you say it did or that you didn't see it; I'm saying it has not had an official U.S. release until now.[/QUOTE]

Interesting. I do see that you're right about IFC being the official distributor. When I watched it a while back, it was listed in the paper as a limited release, but that may just have been a general label applied to a special screening. Who knows. Good to see that it's getting a somewhat wider release now. The final chase makes it well worth watching on the big screen.

[quote name='cupcakex1']^ You talking about Fighter in the Wind ?

Also, to the person asking about Haeundae, I personally thought it was an entertaining movie.. effects were alright, and the acting was good. It might be different for you though, very mixed reviews everywhere.[/QUOTE]

haha, yea.

thanks, it was driving me crazy for a little while.

[quote name='Hibiwa']I didn't like Save the Green Planet at all. Watching crazies and torture aren't my thing.

However, a Korean natural disaster movie like 'Haeundae' does peak my interest. Anyone seen it?

It's supposed to be a good popcorn movie, but I don't want to really drop $36 on a blind buy and feel like I wasted money.

Too bad I can't rent it via Netflix since they only like to tease people with their queue possibility. Sure you can add them, but don't ever expect it to be available.

The Japanese movie 'The Magic Hour' is on my want to watch list too. Don't really know why though.[/QUOTE]

I liked Save the Green Planet. It is one of those strange movies with a messed up ending. Definitely, Not for everyone.

Haeudae is most definitely a Micheal Bay type Armageddon wanna be. Sure it emphasizes effects over everything else. But it wasn't as bad as something like 2010. It is a good mindless movie. Just not worth $36 on DVD. For that price it should be bluray and even then it still wouldn't be worth it.

In Korea it was a big deal since it starred some well known movie stars and it was their first major effects disaster movie. The movie was copied in Thailand.

[quote name='mr_burnzz']dont forget to see city of violence and art of fighting. also this other movie with a korean rapper couple years back. straight up Ryu street fighter training. forgot the title but it was pretty good. Yang dong gun was his name? cant remember.

sorry to hear about your ps3, rakshas.[/QUOTE]

My friends didn't like Art of Fighting. Although I liked it and thought it was amusing.

[quote name='cupcakex1']^ You talking about Fighter in the Wind ?

Also, to the person asking about Haeundae, I personally thought it was an entertaining movie.. effects were alright, and the acting was good. It might be different for you though, very mixed reviews everywhere.[/QUOTE]

Fighter in the Wind (Bah Raham Eh Fight Tuh) stars Yang Dong Geun as Choi Bae Dahl/Mas Oyama. Mas Oyama was a real life martial artist who some claim is indeed the inspiration for Ryu from Street Fighter. He was a legendary fighter in Japan who traveled from place to place challenging the best fighters in the area and destroying them. He never lost a fight. Also, he did fight bull and cracked their skulls with a single hit.

Some odd facts. Bi/Rain from Ninja Assassin was originally going to star in Fighter in the Wind. Mas Oyama was Sonny Ichiba's teacher. Sonny Ichiba starred in a movie based on Mas Oyama's life called Cracked Bull Fighter. Ir has him fighting bulls for practice.

Mas Oyama is Korean. The movie glosses over a lot of facts as usual. It makes him seem like a righteous person but even he admitted that he wasn't a very nice guy. Another famous Japanese person. Rikidozan (Yukdosan) a famous wrestler (wrassler) that popularized wrestling in Japan was also Korean. He was played in the movie by Sol Kyung Gu who stars in Haeundae.

well the ichi blu-ray is pretty disappointing, the quality of the video is pretty poor(as expected) and the audio is okay, but not great. So if you have the dvd keep it, there really is no reason to upgrade.

[quote name='ValkyrieVF-1S']So any other Korean blu-rays coming out any time soon?

Hoping for a Daisy blu, but I don't think that movie is too popular. :/[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't hold my breath. That movie starred some well known Korean actors and it flopped in the box office. I think the chances of seeing in Bluray would be as likely as seeing The Resurrection of the Little Match Girl on blu. Match Girl when released became the biggest over priced flop in Korean History.

Daisy was a Hong Kong production starring Korean actors.

Some times getting Hong Kong releases is a cost effective alternative. Some of the releases seem to use the same print and supplemental features as their Korean counter part.

Fighter in the Wind has a limited edition DVD that was covered by a gi. It came signed as was limited to 2000 copies.

Movies people should watch.

Friend (Chingoo)
My Wife is a Gangster 1
Kick the Moon
Tae Guk Gi (There is a blu version of this)
Silmido

[quote name='handsome_rakshas']Well I just got my Ichi blu but the bad news is my PS3 just stopped reading discs, haha! fuck you Sony and fuck new gen systems altogether! my PS1 still works fine and I've had it for 15 fuckING YEARS![/QUOTE]
Works fine on my ps3

[quote name='ronin47']I wouldn't hold my breath. That movie starred some well known Korean actors and it flopped in the box office. I think the chances of seeing in Bluray would be as likely as seeing The Resurrection of the Little Match Girl on blu. Match Girl when released became the biggest over priced flop in Korean History.

Daisy was a Hong Kong production starring Korean actors.

Some times getting Hong Kong releases is a cost effective alternative. Some of the releases seem to use the same print and supplemental features as their Korean counter part.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, when I first saw the movie, I didn't know it was Andy Lau who was the director. I also read some where the movie didn't do too well, but I think a blu release would look pretty sweet. I guess I will stick with my limited edition set then. :(

[quote name='styl3s']Works fine on my ps3[/QUOTE]

Well gee, thanks for rubbing it in! :roll:

It's too bad, reviewers have said the same thing as beatingurnuts, the picture is pretty sucky. Of course many Miike movies were shot with basic cameras so there is a limit to how good they can look. At least my Happiness of the Katakuris dvd has excellent video quality.

I'm pissed my PS3 is dead, no Blu Rays for me! It may be a while before I can get a new one. In the mean time I can catch up games I've had for years that I've never played. I also have few Korean films I've been meaning to watch. My Wife is a Gangster, The Chaser, and Oasis.

And yeah, I would kill for a good HD transfer of A Bittersweet Life.

Ronin mentioned Tae Guk Gi, which was amazing, so I had to add that again. I also like Fulltime Killer, To Live, Happy Times, and Fist of Legend. Sadly, only Tae Guk Gi and Fist of Legend are the only ones from that list that are on Blu-ray at the moment.

I've always enjoyed Asian culture and films so I'll have to keep an eye on this thread. I've already seen some flicks I want to check out. Keep 'em comin'.

I was wondering if these films ever go down in price? I'm interested in Red Cliff (International version), but $25 is a bit steep for this cheapass. Although if these types of movies don't go down in price then I'd rather get it now.

Any input from those of you here?

bread's done
Back