GOG Spring Promo - 30-50% off 10 'Top Games'

cheapo72

CAGiversary!
Feedback
180 (100%)

Until Tuesday, April 6 at 11:59 p.m. EDT, get any of 10 Good Old Games for 30-50% off.

This isn't a bundle promo, so get one or grab them all. (Why not?)

GOG's 2010 Spring Promo

Beyond Good and Evil $6.99 (30% off)
Heroes of Might & Magic III: Complete $6.99 (30% off) [includes HOMM3, Armageddon's Blade, and Shadow of Death]
Disciples 2: Gold Edition $4.99 (50% off) [includes Disciples 2, Guardians of the Light, Servants of the Dark, and Rise of the Elves]
Divine Divinity $2.99 (50% off)
Evil Genius $4.99 (50% off)
Fallout $2.99 (50% off)
Gothic II: Gold Edition $4.99 (50% off) [includes Gothic II and Night of the Raven]
Myst: Masterpiece Edition $2.99(50% off)
Red Baron Pack $4.99 (50% off) [includes Red Baron 1, Red Baron Mission Builder, and Red Baron 3D]
Simon the Sorcerer $2.99 (50% off)

[Orders should be made from the promo page - game links are for informational purposes]

Metacritic
:
Beyond Good & Evil (83)
Disciples II: Dark Prophecy (84)
Disciples II: Guardian's of the Light (72)
Disciples II: Servants of the Dark (65)
Disciples II: Rise of the Elves (80)
Divine Divinity (81)
Evil Genius (75)
Fallout (89)
Gothic II (79)

Mobygames:
Heroes of Might & Magic III: The Restoration of Erathia (89)
Heroes of Might & Magic III: Armageddon's Blade (82)
Heroes of Might & Magic III: The Shadow of Death (78)
Gothic II: Night of the Raven (86)
Myst (88)
Red Baron (3.9/5)
Red Baron: Mission Builder (4.5/5)
Red Baron 3D (82)
Simon the Sorcerer (83)

Demos:
Beyond Good & Evil
Heroes of Might & Magic III
Disciples II Empire Campaign & Undead Campaign
Divine Divinity
Evil Genius
Fallout (unique map)
Gothic II
Red Baron 3D

No demo, but here's some footage from Simon the Sorcerer (and download the enhanced music while you're at it).
And as for Myst...well...if you don't know what it is - just buy it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I own Divinity already on disc but the remastered version with fixes and higher res is tempting. I kinda remember the game annoying me which is why I didn't finish it though but for $2.99...

I've got (and highly recommend) Beyond Good & Evil, Heroes of Might & Magic 3 and Evil Genius (among others).

Thinking of getting Disciples 2 and Gothic...hopefully I won't be confused by Disciples. LOOKS really good if nothing else.

Well organized thread. :D

I can pretty much recommend all of those games except the last two, which I haven't played.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Thinking of getting Disciples 2 and Gothic...hopefully I won't be confused by Disciples. LOOKS really good if nothing else.[/QUOTE]
Disciples is not a confusing game.

Just bought both. I think I played the first one on Gametap and was confused, though I also played like a couple of hours and then didn't pick it up again for a month, so that probably didn't help.

Myst for 3 dollars? count me IN!

Would you recommend Beyond good and Evil too? Should I try to get a console version of that game instead?

Dang, well glad I bought Disciples 2 then. How similar is it to Heroes of Might and Magic?

Plutoknight, so far as I know the PC version of Beyond Good & Evil is good. I played through it on Gamecube back in 2003 or whatever, but bought it off GOG too (since I sold my copy, and couldn't resist owning it :whistle2:D )

[quote name='plutoknight']Myst for 3 dollars? count me IN!

Would you recommend Beyond good and Evil too? Should I try to get a console version of that game instead?[/QUOTE]
I imagine the PC version will look better.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Dang, well glad I bought Disciples 2 then. How similar is it to Heroes of Might and Magic?)[/QUOTE]
Everything but the combat is very similar.

[quote name='Unrealevil']I imagine the PC version will look better.[/QUOTE]

The PC version can have some weird graphics issues and stuff. From what I've heard the console versions are better.

So how is Gothic 2? Is that one of the ones that have no mouse support and only weird awkward KB controls?

I haven't heard of any issues with the PC one-just double checked the IGN review, and they gave it a 90% and didn't mention anything. Logan of PC Gamer is always going on about it, and a few of them have played it recently too and didn't mention any issues.

[quote name='The Nephilim']So how is Gothic 2? Is that one of the ones that have no mouse support and only weird awkward KB controls?[/QUOTE]
I liked it, but if you don't like unpolished games or awkward controls / controls that take getting used to, you might want to steer clear. It's not for everyone.

[quote name='Wolfpup']I haven't heard of any issues with the PC one-just double checked the IGN review, and they gave it a 90% and didn't mention anything. Logan of PC Gamer is always going on about it, and a few of them have played it recently too and didn't mention any issues.[/QUOTE]
I looked it up some after reading Nephilim's post. It has some bugs.

[quote name='Unrealevil']I liked it, but if you don't like unpolished games or awkward controls / controls that take getting used to, you might want to steer clear. It's not for everyone.

I looked it up some after reading Nephilim's post. It has some bugs.[/QUOTE]

I have the Steam version and I was having crazy eyes/teeth popping out of characters head issues and a few other things, so I picked up the ps2 version at one of the 5$ Hollywood sales. Of course now the backlog is too huge to get to it so I have to keep feeding it new games as an offering.

Thanks OP. Picked up Divine Divinity, Gothic II, and Simon the Sorcerer. Own a disk copy of DD but never got to it, played Gothic II forever ago and loved it, and old school point and click adventures make me warm and fuzzy inside. GOG rocks.

Ahh well thanks guys! I've got the weekend to mull it over, but I may just try to pick it up on the Gamecube or Xbox (maybe its just me, but I may steer clear of Ubisoft's PS2 ports, I don't remember them being very good).

Myst however, is bought. ...

.....well. if GOG will ever accept my card. Does anybody else have problems with GOG not accepting certain cards, even through PayPal?

Already own a few of those, but definitely in for Myst, DD and Gothic 2. I figure I played through Sanitarium last weekend, so I'll make it two in a row that GoG keeps me busy.

Never used PayPal, buy I've used two Mastercards before (unfortunately, both have taken to charging a relatively small "foreign transaction fee" or something, which is ridiculous, but oh well).

From the reviews back in the day, the PC, Gamecube, and Xbox versions are best, but the Playstation version is still really good, just not AS flashy as the other versions were/are.

Gonna try Divine Divinity (demo it). Gothic 2 I have on my shelf, but no XPAC and I hear that's the way to be with Gothic 2, so I never played it (I got it for $1, so no worries there).

[quote name='plutoknight']Ahh well thanks guys! I've got the weekend to mull it over, but I may just try to pick it up on the Gamecube or Xbox (maybe its just me, but I may steer clear of Ubisoft's PS2 ports, I don't remember them being very good).

Myst however, is bought. ...

.....well. if GOG will ever accept my card. Does anybody else have problems with GOG not accepting certain cards, even through PayPal?[/QUOTE]

My first game I bought was Shogo (never beat it, but it was neat, just very hard to control... I digress), I had to call my credit card company and allow foreign purchases. I have fraud monitoring on my accounts and that, too, was blocking it.

First time I bought a 4 pack on steam with my CC, I got a call not but 2 minutes later from the company asking if my card was stolen and to verify the purchase from an unknown Washington based Vendor XD

[quote name='Wolfpup']So what's this about Gothic's control? (Too late for me either way since I bought it :lol:)[/QUOTE]
It's a little complicated and there's no mouse pointer. But once you get used to it, it works.

Dang, I thought Shogo was awesome back in the day, although when I finally played through it (or as much as I could), I didn't like it that much. Back at launch it was incredible looking.

[quote name='Unrealevil']It's a little complicated and there's no mouse pointer. But once you get used to it, it works.[/QUOTE]

Cool, thanks!

[quote name='TheKbob']Gonna try Divine Divinity (demo it). Gothic 2 I have on my shelf, but no XPAC and I hear that's the way to be with Gothic 2, so I never played it (I got it for $1, so no worries there).[/QUOTE]

The GoG version is the Gold Edition with Night of the Raven, if that makes it easier.

[quote name='The Nephilim']No pointer? What are those crazy Germans up to this time?[/QUOTE]
There's always Gothic 3. :p

[quote name='The Nephilim']I own Divinity already on disc but the remastered version with fixes and higher res is tempting. I kinda remember the game annoying me which is why I didn't finish it though but for $2.99...[/QUOTE]

Huh? The site does do some compatibility fixes, but I'm not seeing where it says it is supposed to have high res updates.

[quote name='watcher0']Huh? The site does do some compatibility fixes, but I'm not seeing where it says it is supposed to have high res updates.[/QUOTE]

The version gog has was patched by Larian to fix bugs and add higher/wide resolutions.

Nice!

Of course to me, anything about 640x480 is still pretty great :lol:

(And heck, I play 3 systems right now with that or lower resolutions)

[quote name='The Nephilim']The version gog has was patched by Larian to fix bugs and add higher/wide resolutions.[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing that's just a standard patch for higher screen resolution options, not textures, etc. I probably won't worry about that then since the disc version can probably be patched up to do that just fine.

Yeah it's just technical no cosmetic changes. I'm not sure if there's a disc patch or if it's only for the DD versions. I didn't read that much into it.

Going just for Gothic 2. I tried the Divinity demo, but I have torchlight, titan quest, and diablo 2. The art style didn't resonate with me, too grainy and blah. Thanks for the post though.

[quote name='watcher0']I'm guessing that's just a standard patch for higher screen resolution options, not textures, etc. I probably won't worry about that then since the disc version can probably be patched up to do that just fine.[/QUOTE]

There isn't, and never will be, a patch adding those features into the disc versions, Larian has said so themselves.

The patch also includes extra technical fixes they've done, overall it's a more polished game at this point than the disc version (which I also own). If you're a fan of Divine Divinity, it's worth it to grab it for $3, works fine right out of the box for XP / Vista.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Never used PayPal, buy I've used two Mastercards before (unfortunately, both have taken to charging a relatively small "foreign transaction fee" or something, which is ridiculous, but oh well).
[/QUOTE]

Because GoG is overseas, most banks (and I guess CC companies?) charge a foreign transaction fee. I'm sure you knew that, but I figured I'd throw it out there to everyone else.

It's not GoG's fault, I have Bank of America and I think it's something like 3% of the total purchase fee I get charged in addition to prices.

I already own most of these games through Steam / GoG, but I will pick up Gothic 2 and Myst. The Gothic series is *amazing* once you get used to it... it's got a steeper learning curve than most RPG's made today, but so worth it once it all clicks.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Never used PayPal, buy I've used two Mastercards before (unfortunately, both have taken to charging a relatively small "foreign transaction fee" or something, which is ridiculous, but oh well).
[/QUOTE]

Because GoG is overseas, most banks (and I guess CC companies?) charge a foreign transaction fee. I'm sure you knew that, but I figured I'd throw it out there to everyone else.

It's not GoG's fault, I have Bank of America and I think it's something like 3% of the total purchase fee I get charged in addition to prices.

Already own Beyond Good and Evil, which is totally worth it. I own it on Steam, and there's a few bugs there, but from what I've heard GoG has fixed some. Also own Evil Genius and Fallout.

Going in for Myst, but I'm also thinking about getting Simon the Sorcerer. Anyone have high praise/horrible memories of this game? I've been on an adventure game binge lately and I'm looking for more to play.

[quote name='animalspinners']Because GoG is overseas, most banks (and I guess CC companies?) charge a foreign transaction fee. I'm sure you knew that, but I figured I'd throw it out there to everyone else.

I already own most of these games through Steam / GoG, but I will pick up Gothic 2 and Myst. The Gothic series is *amazing* once you get used to it... it's got a steeper learning curve than most RPG's made today, but so worth it once it all clicks.[/QUOTE]

I'll give Gothic a shot!

What's lame about the "transaction fee" is none of my cards used to charge it :whistle2:/ Of course my Citibank one also didn't used to charge a *$70* yearly fee...dumped that thing fast.

[quote name='Jugglenaut']Already own Beyond Good and Evil, which is totally worth it. I own it on Steam, and there's a few bugs there, but from what I've heard GoG has fixed some. Also own Evil Genius and Fallout.

Going in for Myst, but I'm also thinking about getting Simon the Sorcerer. Anyone have high praise/horrible memories of this game? I've been on an adventure game binge lately and I'm looking for more to play.[/QUOTE]

For $3, hell even $6, you really can't go wrong with Simon the Sorceror. It's a decent adventure game, and well worth the (tiny) price.

Every game on this list is a PC classic, and at $3 - $5 every game on here is a good choice.

[quote name='animalspinners']There isn't, and never will be, a patch adding those features into the disc versions, Larian has said so themselves.

The patch also includes extra technical fixes they've done, overall it's a more polished game at this point than the disc version (which I also own). If you're a fan of Divine Divinity, it's worth it to grab it for $3, works fine right out of the box for XP / Vista.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, looks like I was able to find a bit of info on the improvements for the DD remastered version only:

Graphics are not updated or improved or changed or touched. Only code has changed. You can play it at higher resolutions now. List of updates:

General:
- Feature: Allow more resolutions
- Feature: Recreated config tool
- Fixed: numerous crashes and freezes
- Fixed: encumbrance could make items disappear
- Feature: Tooltips of damage stats on stat screen improved

Skills
- Fixed: Spellbooks no longer ignore level requirements
- Fixed: All weapon expertise skills give percentile bonuses instead of static bonuses
- Fixed: True Sight damage is now actually used
- Fixed: Bow and crossbow expertise bonuses are now actually used
- Fixed: Divine Eye removes the fog of war
- Fixed: Deadly Gift's Scorpion Trap is less powerful
- Fixed: Resurrected enemies die after region swap

So it looks like I'll pick up the GOG version myself.

Wow I just tried a Gothic II demo and man do I hate the way this controls. I was 5 seconds outside the start area and got killed by a goblin or something while I was trying to figure out their idiotic control scheme that should have been left in 1998.

Not sure if you can configure resolutions and stuff in the full game, but they certainly aren't impressing me with these awful graphics.

some quick questions before i purchase

1. does this site have a download limit

2. do they add any extra drm

3. most of the games include an ingame soundtrack is it a seperate download that you can add to itunes or othe media player

thanks in advance

[quote name='gamez79']some quick questions before i purchase

1. does this site have a download limit

2. do they add any extra drm

3. most of the games include an ingame soundtrack is it a seperate download that you can add to itunes or othe media player [/QUOTE]

I know you found the support page, but I'll still answer your questions just in case anyone else is wondering the same thing.

1. no
2. no
3. yes

Gonna grab Myst and possibly Fallout.

I'm a little out of the loop when it comes to the earlier Fallouts, can anybody recommend some good mods for it? Also, will those mods work with the modified GoG version?

[quote name='VidPower']I know you found the support page, but I'll still answer your questions just in case anyone else is wondering the same thing.

1. no
2. no
3. yes[/QUOTE]

thanks ill probaly get fallout 1, heroes 3, and divine divinity and mabey ill get gothic 2 aswell

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']Gonna grab Myst and possibly Fallout.

I'm a little out of the loop when it comes to the earlier Fallouts, can anybody recommend some good mods for it? Also, will those mods work with the modified GoG version?[/QUOTE]

Just to answer, yes they will.
One thing you need to download though is the children patch. This is the European version of the game which had children removed due to the fact you can kill them, without it parts of the game are unbeatable in Fallout 2, and it's better with them in fallout 1 :).

In for Myst and Gothic 2.

I've actually... never played Myst. I've wanted to for a long time, and at this price, how can I say no?

I know next to nothing about Gothic 2, but I bought since I'm just itching for a game like it (and I'm on a non-gaming laptop, so sometimes finding what I'm looking for is a bit more difficult than it should be). Didn't know about any control issues. But I never really mind things like that anyway.

Anyway, great deals. I might go back and look again before this sale is over. Can't recommend GOG enough to people with lower end machines.

bread's done
Back